Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Welcome to the FPS durability glitch.

From made it so that you can damage weapons multiple times in a single swing/poke. :darksouls:

I thought that was for striking corpses only. The enemy I hit didn't even die from it. Swapped to the Bloody Whip as a backup anyway, but holy crap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

turtlecrunch posted:

http://a.pomf.se/wxauaz.webm
http://a.pomf.se/vruybs.webm

In the words of Benjamin Franklin, "Hold on to your butts."

Man, if there was a catalyst that was just a :krad: pair of claws, even if it was the shittiest catalyst, I would use nothing else. The BWS is cool, especially for a nerd like me who can't decide between going all in on hexes or miracles and also I want to use Chameleon oh and I want all this heavy armor so I can't just hold a bunch

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Cowcaster posted:

Speaking of which, my first chance to test the monastery scimitar parry in pvp happened to a guy using the curved dragon greatsword tonight. I felt a little bit guilty about it, but after he survived the coup de grace I followed it up with a great resonant soul and gibbed him. Then I felt really guilty.

Hooray for idiotically powerful twink builds :getin:

My favorite thing to do whenever someone manages to survive a parry/riposte is to cast one of the various aoe spells and watch them try to scramble out of range only to get launched 20 feet in the air by a fire pillar.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Cyberventurer posted:

I thought that was for striking corpses only. The enemy I hit didn't even die from it. Swapped to the Bloody Whip as a backup anyway, but holy crap.
Are you wearing the Bracing Knuckle Ring +2 while using the Old Whip?

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
No, but at the moment I can't spare a ring for it. :(

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
If you're trying to use the old whip, you should probably prioritize running a Bracin ring.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I love the bloodied whip, I just wish it wasn't so hard to get.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Cyberventurer posted:

No, but at the moment I can't spare a ring for it. :(
What current rings do you have equipped? If you're running whips you'll need to have a slot for that Knuckle Ring, hell I think everyone should have it equipped.

FuriousGeorge
Jan 23, 2006

Ah, the simple joys of a monkey knife-fight.
Grimey Drawer
I really like that the Hexer's Hood kinda sorta matches the scarf on the Leydia Black Robe.

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do
Just won my 30 dragonbro fights on the bridge surprisingly quickly, had some really fun fights with people who had decent builds and knew how to play them, a handful of less fun fights from tryhards (who wouldn't summon me again if they lost) and a few totally awesome fights from other gimmick fighters. I find I have the most trouble with good stunlock builds as well as anything that has a half again range because of lag or whatever (drat halberd spin2win) as well as a few weird weapons that seem to have a strange arc to their swing. I also really hate the weird rear end angle that rapier thrusts can hit you at, I don't face them often enough to have gotten used to it yet.

I'd say I won about 2/3 of my fights, about half when it was against one of those optimal builds that can 2-3 shot me but whether I won or lost I was having a great time, nothing like wrecking a dude who has all the pvp buffs and some uber gear with some good footwork and patience. Gonna see if I can't get a few bellbro bites before I go to ng+ to get my pvp fix.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

neetengie posted:

What current rings do you have equipped? If you're running whips you'll need to have a slot for that Knuckle Ring, hell I think everyone should have it equipped.

It wasn't actually my main weapon, I was just trying it out as a backup since it was suggested to keep one in case of parry-happy invaders. Still using a Grand Lance.

At the moment I'm using the Old Leo Ring, Ring of Binding, Gold Serpent Ring (trying to farm the Flexile Sentry adds) and Chloranthy Ring +2.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Cyberventurer posted:

It wasn't actually my main weapon, I was just trying it out as a backup since it was suggested to keep one in case of parry-happy invaders. Still using a Grand Lance.

At the moment I'm using the Old Leo Ring, Ring of Blades +2, Gold Serpent Ring (trying to farm the Flexile Sentry adds) and Chloranthy Ring +2.

What the ever living gently caress do you need the Old Leo Ring for, holy christ.

:EDIT:

I should clarify, it's great for PvE, but that slot is way better taken up by something else in PvP. A giant's ring or a stone ring would be better if you intend on using thrusting weapons, which are generally pretty rear end to begin with. In general, it's usefulness is kind of outlived by a lot of other rings.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Grand Lance is all thrusting, and enemies basically never stop attacking when they're in range so they're always in "counter hit" mode. It's basically free damage.

Edit: I guess so. :( I was just trying to go for a mainly exploring PVE ring setup but without being totally dicked over if I got invaded. I'll trade out the leo ring.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Cyberventurer posted:

Grand Lance is all thrusting, and enemies basically never stop attacking when they're in range so they're always in "counter hit" mode. It's basically free damage.

Edit: I guess so. :( I was just trying to go for a mainly exploring PVE ring setup but without being totally dicked over if I got invaded. I'll trade out the leo ring.

By all means use it if you feel you're getting decent returns out of it.

But if you are worried about PvP there's better rings. And in your specific case, even PvE, you might really want a bracing ring if you're serious about whippin' them fools.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
If it's just a back-up, you can squeeze some blood from an un-Braced Old Whip when you need it. As a weapon just for a range change-up thing, I think you'd be fine without the Bracing Knuckle Ring. (If you're farming Flexile's buds, remember to pop a Rusted Coin and get the Prisoner's chest-piece for more item discovery.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

neetengie posted:

Yeah basically any time I'm not dedicating my time to PvPing I wear the bracing knuckle ring +2. it's vital for PvE for me.

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

I was making my way through Sinner's Rise just poking around after beating the Lost Sinner. I'm told this weapon is kind of rare?

So what should I do with these? :smug:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Kaubocks posted:

I was making my way through Sinner's Rise just poking around after beating the Lost Sinner. I'm told this weapon is kind of rare?

Infuse them with Raw, then use them as hair brushes.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Bogart posted:

Man, if there was a catalyst that was just a :krad: pair of claws, even if it was the shittiest catalyst, I would use nothing else. The BWS is cool, especially for a nerd like me who can't decide between going all in on hexes or miracles and also I want to use Chameleon oh and I want all this heavy armor so I can't just hold a bunch

It can be done, as those videos you quoted demonstrate. Right now my hands are a catalyst that can cast all types of magic.

Except I also count as wearing Vanquisher's Seal, so I get to powerstance and gain back regular fisticuffs.

This game is very flexible if you know what you're doing.

AndroidHub
Feb 28, 2007

I've seen some stuff that would really make you say "like what?"

Kaubocks posted:

Maybe a little rare, but definitely not good, not anymore. They had much better damage at release on console, but now they are just bad, and have no scaling at all.

Anyways, I was doing some bell/red orb invasions earlier tonight with this fine lady-

I actually got a few friend requests and messages about how much people liked it. The armor was a bitch and a half though and pumped an extra 250k into my SM, I exhausted all 50 of the spawns in the kings gate to just to get everything but the legs, luckily a friend in my range had some they had no interest in using. It would probably be really good armor if it didn't use twinkling to upgrade, mostly because of how light it is. I also tried to get some blue invasions, but there are absolutely no bites at 900k~ SM unfortunately.

AndroidHub fucked around with this message at 07:55 on May 26, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Will asceticing the bonfire in Aldia's keep make Soul Geyser respawn? Also I've asked before but don't think I got an answer, with 50/50/50 int/fth/atn should I use homing crystal soul mass or affinity?

Edit: Servers down for anyone else?

Jose fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 26, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

AndroidHub posted:

Maybe a little rare, but definitely not good, not anymore. They had much better damage at release on console, but now they are just bad, and have no scaling at all.

That's not even remotely true. It has the exact same damage it's always had. When you make it Raw, it has ~560 AR maxed out, while needing only 18 str to 2hand it. It's good at low SM since it's sheer damage at that point is absurd, but it quickly evens out with the Great Club, and ends up worse off due to the very low durability. Though if you make it elemental it far surpasses the other great hammers, as making it elemental bolsters both the physical damage to ~510 and adds ~170 elemental damage.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

AndroidHub posted:

Anyways, I was doing some bell/red orb invasions earlier tonight with this fine lady-

I actually got a few friend requests and messages about how much people liked it. The armor was a bitch and a half though and pumped an extra 250k into my SM, I exhausted all 50 of the spawns in the kings gate to just to get everything but the legs, luckily a friend in my range had some they had no interest in using. It would probably be really good armor if it didn't use twinkling to upgrade, mostly because of how light it is. I also tried to get some blue invasions, but there are absolutely no bites at 900k~ SM unfortunately.

Wow, that helmet really cuts off circulation, huh?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Did the servers just go down? I'm not able to log back in.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is it just me or are most bosses extremely easy? Just killed the Demon of Song and so far i don't think i died to most bosses.

They're just so slow and predictable, i only die if i'm sunbroing and taking an estus while thinking the boss won't target me (it usually does :ssh:)

Lovable Luciferian
Jul 10, 2007

Flashing my onyx masonic ring at 5 cent wing n trivia night at Dinglers Sports Bar - Ozma

Cardboard Box posted:

Did the servers just go down? I'm not able to log back in.

It did for me as well. I think it's scheduled maintenance.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Yeah, its maintenance. Bummer since I've just learned the joys of smashing Bell spirits with the rebel greatshield.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!
Here I was looking forwards to playing a literal Street Fighter character. :(

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Mans posted:

Is it just me or are most bosses extremely easy? Just killed the Demon of Song and so far i don't think i died to most bosses.

They're just so slow and predictable, i only die if i'm sunbroing and taking an estus while thinking the boss won't target me (it usually does :ssh:)

The only bosses to really cause me any trouble were Pursuer, Ruin Sentinels and Lost Sinner, all probably because I was still using only soul arrow as my main spell since I went that way and not to No Man's Wharf where I would have got new spells

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Lovable Luciferian posted:

It did for me as well. I think it's scheduled maintenance.

ah alright, cool. probably a good thing, maybe I won't stay up until 6 AM PvPing tonight haha

I took this opportunity to run through Belfry Sol undeterred. sorry bellfriends, I am one of you, but that doesn't mean I like to see you on the other end

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 08:29 on May 26, 2014

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
So I'm wondering where I should go from here.

I'm about soul level 109 or so. Hex Build. I have most of the gear that I want and the spells that I want. I just got to Weaponsmith Orniflex. I think the most recent boss I killed was Demon of Song. Last night I used a bonfire astectic for the first time on the Scorpion boss so I could get some +2 ring that increases my atunement slots. But I'm kind of at a loss for what other goals I should shoot for besides just beating bosses and the game.

Anyone have any ideas for a good direction to go in?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

Kaldaris posted:

What SF character can cast firestorm :raise:

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Kaldaris posted:

Is that Sunlight Blade on one hand and Flame Weapon on the other?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

-Blackadder- posted:

So I'm wondering where I should go from here.

I'm about soul level 109 or so. Hex Build. I have most of the gear that I want and the spells that I want. I just got to Weaponsmith Orniflex. I think the most recent boss I killed was Demon of Song. Last night I used a bonfire astectic for the first time on the Scorpion boss so I could get some +2 ring that increases my atunement slots. But I'm kind of at a loss for what other goals I should shoot for besides just beating bosses and the game.

Anyone have any ideas for a good direction to go in?

Killing Skeleton Lord's after using a bonfire ascetic will give you a ring that increases cast speed time more. Join the Pilgrim's of Dark covenant too for a ring that increases hex damage

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Harry Joe posted:

You're welcome. Sadly i'm probably gonna have to move onto ng+, the invasions and bells aren't ringing as much as I'd like and I killed a few hackers today that boosted up my SM by almost half a mil.

Are you THE MONARCH? I ran into you yesterday, I think (along with Darth Maul, Lu Bu and Sayaka Miki). I'm the red big-nosed rear end in a top hat with the Murakumo/uchigatana throwing Emit Force and lightning bolts at everything. :v:

Seriously guys Emit Force is good. The damage is pretty high and much easier to hit with than GLS.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 08:49 on May 26, 2014

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I want to kill the Ancient Dragon but dying once has made me really not be bothered to fight my way back in the event I die again

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Artificer posted:

Is that Sunlight Blade on one hand and Flame Weapon on the other?

Can't actually do that. It's flame weapon on one and lightening resin on the other. ;)

And maybe Akuma can?! Don't be all picky now, I got the Hadouken damnit!

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

Kaldaris posted:

Chun... -Li? Forbidden Sun would be an ultra combo move.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

Jose posted:

Killing Skeleton Lord's after using a bonfire ascetic will give you a ring that increases cast speed time more. Join the Pilgrim's of Dark covenant too for a ring that increases hex damage

I already got the Abyss Seal ring from the Pilgrims of the Dark, though it doesn't seem worth it to go through a bunch of trouble to get the Climax spell.

I was thinking about doing the Skeleton Lords for the cast speed ring, but my current cast speed hasn't really felt all that limiting. And there are so many other good rings out there.

e: Honestly I've been kind of disappointed with Hexes, they feel like kind of an afterthought. I picked them because I played Faith, Mage, and Pyro builds in DS1 and it looked like they were reusing most of the same spells in DS2 so I wanted to try something different. But I'm kind of bored with hex now and thinking of respecing to either pyro or mage.

-Blackadder- fucked around with this message at 08:55 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harry Joe
Jan 15, 2006
My name be neither Harry, nor Joe, but Harry Joe shall do

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Are you THE MONARCH? I ran into you yesterday, I think (along with Darth Maul, Lu Bu and Sayaka Miki). I'm the red big-nosed rear end in a top hat with the Murakumo/uchigatana throwing Emit Force and lightning bolts at everything. :v:

Yep, it's a really fun gimmick and the poison build (with pyromancy) is surprisingly effective against most people. The butterfly costume is probably the worst part of the build really but the fashion souls is necessary and being able to jump at will is pretty fun.

Also I didn't know that jumping into someone staggered them briefly. Sadly, it's not long enough to take advantage of but I'm still hoping for the chance to knock someone off a cliff with it.