Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tdrules
Jan 12, 2014
oh noooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Nigel Farage on the BBC saying it's been a tough couple of weeks because everyone's been against them :psyduck:

Counterpoint: the continued existence of Nick Robinson; about a million other things

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

tdrules posted:

oh noooo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXewIR7Y7cc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMOGaugKpzs

Well, Greens beat the Lib Dems at least. I do wonder if I should have gone with Labour instead though :saddowns:

Answers Me posted:

Counterpoint: the continued existence of Nick Robinson; about a million other things
Andrew Neil has been a massive smug shitlord on Twitter during this whole election process, blatantly cheering on UKIP and the Tories. His apparent xenophobia surprises me, given his history of reaching out to Asian youth.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 11:13 on May 26, 2014

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Does anyone have a full breakdown of results that shows the voting for each local authority? I want to try and take solace in the possibility that my local area didn't vote quite as horribly as the rest of the region :(

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Carecat posted:

A lot of the public write off the BBC as being left wing propaganda.

Instead of correctly writing it off for never challenging the factual accuracy of their quotes, barely connecting the dots between any stories and constantly sourcing quotes from Advocacy Group Against This Thing.

Whenever I hear/see the BBC trying to do 'balance' by having two opposite and extreme ends of the spectrum on any given topic, I'm reminded of the time my Step-Dad (who was a fairly big cheese in the world of town planning) was asked to participate in a news segment, but after speaking to the producer pre-show was told they couldn't use him because he was too balanced and even handed.

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Jedit posted:

Go gently caress yourself, you racist piece of poo poo.

Can we have the graph before we start throwing these accusations around?

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)
Do your part, salt the earth

Psybro
May 12, 2002
Debates on entryism used to be pretty frequent in previous incarnations of this thread, but now seems as good a time as any to pose this as devil's advocate:

Given FPTP as a constant, is the English Left doing itself a disservice by enthusiastically voting for various smaller parties instead of swallowing its pride and trying to take back the historical party of the working classes by force?

I guess the last time this was attempted the unions went rogue and voted old Red Ed in, only to watch him get infected by the zombie New Labour virus, so maybe it just can't be done effectively. I'm just not sure relying on Labour's traditional working class vote to die off so we can start from scratch is working, the inertia is too strong and the Greens et al don't have a message as straightforward and catchy as 'Send 'em back where they came from'.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Psybro posted:

Debates on entryism used to be pretty frequent in previous incarnations of this thread, but now seems as good a time as any to pose this as devil's advocate:

Given FPTP as a constant, is the English Left doing itself a disservice by enthusiastically voting for various smaller parties instead of swallowing its pride and trying to take back the historical party of the working classes by force?

I guess the last time this was attempted the unions went rogue and voted old Red Ed in, only to watch him get infected by the zombie New Labour virus, so maybe it just can't be done effectively. I'm just not sure relying on Labour's traditional working class vote to die off so we can start from scratch is working, the inertia is too strong and the Greens et al don't have a message as straightforward and catchy as 'Send 'em back where they came from'.

The Labour Party constitution is designed to prevent entryism following the Militant attempts in the 80s, and this effect was only worsened by the centralisation of power in Blair's reforms. It would honestly be easier to turn the Conservatives into a left-wing party via entryism than Labour, simply because (for now) the constituency parties still have a considerable say in central policy, although this is something that has been eroded significantly over the last decade.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Can somebody please explain left-wing anti-EU parties to me? What is their beef and what platform are they campaigning on? I presume not an immigration one so I assume it's down to principles of democracy and economics etc.

A friend asked me today and I had absolutely no idea.

Also everybody is loving stupid, burn everything to the ground, etc. :smith:

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

thehustler posted:

Can somebody please explain left-wing anti-EU parties to me? What is their beef and what platform are they campaigning on? I presume not an immigration one so I assume it's down to principles of democracy and economics etc.

Immigration certainly, the idea that free movement allows a race to the bottom in wages.

Ghost of Mussolini
Jun 26, 2011

thehustler posted:

keep punching joe posted:

Immigration certainly, the idea that free movement allows a race to the bottom in wages.

Also the perception of the EU as the culmination of the free-market liberal ideal on a continental scale. Its viewed as too corrupt and too entrenched in its policies to be reformed, so therefore the answer is to simply quit.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

thehustler posted:

Well, the Common Agricultural Policy is an economic, political, and ethical disaster, there's a severe democratic deficit, and a perception that the EU pushed austerity down everyone's throats.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
the common market forces left-wing politics onto an unpalatable choice between abandoning their traditional strengths in local populism, or openly going to bat for nationalism. shifting the nexus of political power and redistribution from national capitals to Brussels has that effect.

the political evolution of the CAP is illustrative - French farmers started out on the side of the anti-globalization and union-aligned French left and have steadily drifted rightward. They still want the CAP, but they're no longer readily welcome in a coalition that rejects globalization as much as they do, but isn't getting bribed with a multi-billion-euro subsidy in order to tolerate it.

ronya fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 26, 2014

ANYTHING YOU SOW
Nov 7, 2009

thehustler posted:

The EU is at its core pro free trade and will carry on trying to negotiate free trade agreements with as many countries as possible, regardless of a democratic mandate to do so. It also makes it a lot harder for member governments to intervene in their economies with state owned companies, subsidies in specific industries etc..

EU Free trade agreements( from wikipedia):

The real question is why so many people on the left are pro EU

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Broniki posted:

Neat graph of the distribution of English people in Scotland.

That could also pretty easily be as much of a graph of the distribution of the rich and privileged in Scotland, if you want to start identifying demographics. Not sure about Fife though, which I didn't know had that high a score for either metric.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
Going back to the media issue, the problem isn't so much the Mail and friends talking poo poo any more, it's that the population in general assumes that everyone is talking poo poo, so it's become very hard to change people's minds on various hot button topics. People will know that the Mail are talking poo poo about Christmas being banned, for example, but at the same time this kills their receptiveness to any argument because 'everyone is biased'. At this point, they return to their gut feelings and that gets you Bloke Down The Pub Nige and his Sensible Straight Talking pushed to the front of the queue.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Thanks everyone. I was just trying to decide what the difference was between right and left anti-EU parties. What are the specific issues they differ on, etc?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Replace "world" with "EU", and cross out one of the arms of the trilemma (Bretton Woods compromise/Deep economic integration because of the common currency/common market), and you've got the unpleasant dilemma of the EU

to sustain substantive state subsidies with further integration would require subsidization at the EU level (a la CAP), which is decidedly possible, but it's a very different set of beneficiaries from the current set. Those that can sustain pan-EU coalitions instead of those that can take Paris hostage or whatever. It is the change that is traumatic; the new favoured groups might be found on the left as well. Cynically, this is why, e.g., Greens tend to be pro-EU.

ronya fucked around with this message at 12:55 on May 26, 2014

Broniki
Sep 2, 2009

Feminist Frequency is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign. Donate today!

Angepain posted:

That could also pretty easily be as much of a graph of the distribution of the rich and privileged in Scotland, if you want to start identifying demographics. Not sure about Fife though, which I didn't know had that high a score for either metric.

St. Andrews

baronvonsabre
Aug 1, 2013

Angepain posted:

Basing it off that graph is entirely misleading: UKIP came dead last in Edinburgh with only 7.7% of the vote, one of their worst results throughout the country. The Herald has the percentage votes by council region here.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Broniki posted:

St. Andrews

:confused: St. Andrews isn't in Scotland.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Angepain posted:

Fife is one of the most "local" minded areas in all of Scotland.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Disgusting Coward posted:

What gave you that Idea?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Andrews

Party Boat posted:

Am I missing a really obvious joke here?

I thought that as well. I mean is coward talking about that St. Andrews?

Extreme0 fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 26, 2014

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Disgusting Coward posted:

Am I missing a really obvious joke here?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Horror.

crazyvanman
Dec 31, 2010
Does anyone have any experience in applying for an enhanced CRB? I'll be going for teacher training courses in November this year, and I have a recent caution for 'criminal damage' (de-facing a UKIP billboard). Is this likely to be a problem? I know they'll be able to see it on my record, but I think if I disclose it in good time and make clear that I feel a bit silly now, won't do it again, I should be alright.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Extreme0 posted:

What gave you that Idea?

:confused: There's no Scottish people there????

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

crazyvanman posted:

Does anyone have any experience in applying for an enhanced CRB? I'll be going for teacher training courses in November this year, and I have a recent caution for 'criminal damage' (de-facing a UKIP billboard). Is this likely to be a problem? I know they'll be able to see it on my record, but I think if I disclose it in good time and make clear that I feel a bit silly now, won't do it again, I should be alright.

Yes, I have done two for teaching, one under the old system and one under the new DBS system.

You will probably be alright, but make sure you always disclose it when asked.

Also, I think it's worth paying the subscription fee to keep your DBS current (it's £15/year I think) and the bonus is it allows you to see who's been checking up on you.

e: just to add, the big no no offences are drugs, violence and fraud. From what I understand the fraud one is about trust, the drugs about being a fit role model and violence is self explanatory. Obviously sex offences.

HortonNash fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 26, 2014

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
The BBC were just in the middle of talking to Paddy Ashdown, and they completely interrupted him to cut away to live footage of Farage walking down the street. Not that I care about Ashdown particularly, but why do people put up with that poo poo? :negative:

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Answers Me posted:

The BBC were just in the middle of talking to Paddy Ashdown, and they completely interrupted him to cut away to live footage of Farage walking down the street. Not that I care about Ashdown particularly, but why do people put up with that poo poo? :negative:

We kinda have to, it's a free country and Farage can walk where he likes.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

thehustler posted:

Thanks everyone. I was just trying to decide what the difference was between right and left anti-EU parties. What are the specific issues they differ on, etc?

I believe this is the 'main' left wing anti-EU party, it's certainly the one Bob Crow endorsed, so you might find it useful.

http://www.no2eu.com/

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Scottish Ukip MEP sounds like quite the piece of work

quote:

David Coburn UKIP ‏@DavidCoburnUKip May 25
@mdbuk Gay marriage debate brushed aside all logical opinion and any opposition was bulldozed over

@mdbuk We are tiny minority - we exist due to the tolerance of heterosexuals - you should never forget that

@mdbuk When I see the Rainbow Flag I have started to regard it as a flag of Oppression

@mdbuk because extremist tactics are being deployed by gay lobby to silence opposition and that is dangerous

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
not being allowed to call someone a human being representing the worst oppression you'll face is a sign your life is pretty good.

Not realising this makes you pretty bad. Film at 10.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
So, after finishing second in an election, Labour has decided "oh, we could've come first if we were more racist":

EXCLUSIVE: 'We were WRONG, we are SORRY' Senior Labour MP pens open letter to Ukip voters posted:

Shadow Justice Minister Sadiq Khan concedes Labour has been "too quick to dismiss concerns about immigration, or even worse - accused people of prejudice" in the letter, which was sent exclusively to Express.co.uk.

Mr Khan lists a range of policies designed to entice former Labour voters thinking of voting for Ukip back to his party.

The letter comes just days after Ukip saw its number of councillors across England rise by 161, eating into Labour support in Essex and the North.

Below is the letter in full:

An Open Letter to Ukip supporters posted:

I know you are fed up with politics as usual. I get that you are angry at the political parties. I understand you feel that successive Governments have done too little to help you.

Too many people have struggled for far too long. Too little of the benefits of growth have gone to working people and too much to the very wealthiest.

Wages have barely increased whilst the cost of everything - from housing to energy and food - has rocketed.

And in too many places immigration has driven down local wages.

I understand why people think that politicians do little to help them.

The expenses scandal and sleaze has broken trust.

There aren’t enough politicians brave enough to stand up to vested interests - the banks, businesses paying below a decent wage or bad landlords.

And politicians seem to speak a different language.

But the Labour Party has changed. We know we made mistakes. We're determined to put them right.

Take immigration. In the past, we were too quick to dismiss concerns about immigration, or even worse - accused people of prejudice.

We all remember Gillian Duffy. We were wrong. We are sorry.

So what are we offering now? Learning the English language will be a priority.

We will change the rules on child benefit - so that it's no longer paid to children outside of this country.

We will crack down on businesses that pay below the minimum wage and ensure local wages are not undercut.

And companies that employ people from outside the EU will be forced to offer apprenticeships to local young people.

But it's not just immigration. We will close the gap between what you earn and what you spend.

We will stop hard working people from being ripped off in our economy.

We will make renting more affordable and scrap extortionate letting agency fees.

On our watch, the minimum wage will be raised and we will promote a higher living wage for all. Energy prices will be frozen.

It is always easier to lose someone's trust than to win it back.

But over the next year we will do everything to prove that we are on your side.

We will work to improve your local community and stand up alongside you against the vested interests that make life harder. All we ask is that you keep an open-mind.
Sadiq Khan is Shadow Justice Secretary and Shadow London Minister.

I've bolded that last line for a reason: Khan's portfolio has nothing to do with immigration; that's Yvette Cooper's and David Hanson's portfolio (and Cooper as made similar waves this weekend too). I can't think of any reason that Khan would make a statement other than the party telling him "get out there to prove our new policy isn't racist".

e: Of course Muppet Sundial agrees with it.

TinTower fucked around with this message at 15:44 on May 26, 2014

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Paddy Ashdown was the best prime minister we never had. He is ex SAS for fucks sake!!!

The lib Dems lost me as a supporter during when during the coalition it was obvious the Tories were using them as their whipping boys, and Nick Cleggs rather bizarre to ditch Lib Dem policy just to keep big Dave happy.
The right move for Clegg right now is to dissolve the coalition.

Myrddin_Emrys fucked around with this message at 15:41 on May 26, 2014

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Ed Milliband is the single worst part of our our political process. If he had any balls he'd be standing up and calling UKIP a bunch of racist toffs while announcing plans to save the NHS, welfare and education. No loving wonder political apathy is so high when the sole party that claims to represent the people doesn't give a poo poo.

The Supreme Court fucked around with this message at 15:43 on May 26, 2014

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Rather Dashing posted:

So how difficult is it to emigrate to Canada? I'm genuinely terrified of some authoritarian Tory / UKIP coalition being formed next year.

Hate to be one of those people but this really bugs me: it's 'hear'.

It must be dire to make living under our strong, stable majority Conservative government appealing.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

The Supreme Court posted:

Ed Milliband is everything that's worst about our political process. If he had any balls he'd be standing up and calling UKIP a bunch of racist toffs while announcing plans to save the NHS, welfare and education. No loving wonder political apathy is so high when the party that claims to represent the people doesn't give a poo poo.

My mum's a research professor in pain, and is saying that the NHS's funding situation is bad enough that it's likely to collapse by August. Even if they had the political will, Labour might not get the chance to save it. :smithicide:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galsia
Oct 20, 2005

The Supreme Court posted:

Ed Milliband is the single worst part of our our political process. If he had any balls he'd be standing up and calling UKIP a bunch of racist toffs while announcing plans to save the NHS, welfare and education. No loving wonder political apathy is so high when the sole party that claims to represent the people doesn't give a poo poo.

Like the rest of them, Ed Milliband does not give as poo poo about the average person in the UK. As long as he continues to get his pay and expenses, he couldn't care less.

• Locked thread