Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I completely forgot about old dragonslayer and dragonrider as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Motherfucker posted:

I completely forgot about old dragonslayer and dragonrider as well.

And like the Taurus Demon, those two are meant as basic bosses to get people started.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

turtlecrunch posted:

Weird Corpse Committee checking in with our Monday report:

Man, I can never get them out of the mousetrap without feeling really bad for them.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Motherfucker posted:

Yet the technique to kill them is quite similar and therefore felt samey to me.

Wait till combo is done, move in to attack, rinse, repeat, don't get greedy, worked for persuer, smelter, the ruins sentinels the velstat the king and pretty much all the enemies following that formula, despite a few of them having a few one off tricks all of them died pretty much to the same strategy.

You're boiling down the fights to "avoid their attacks and then attack while they are vulnerable". Almost every single boss fight in the entire series works that way.

Red Crown posted:

I caught the Emerald Herald just kinda hangin' out. She was sitting on a rock kicking her feet back and forth like she was bored.

Yeah one of the few things i like about her is that she moves around Majula and doesn't just stay rooted to the same spot forever. Too bad she still never says something interesting.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Internet Kraken posted:

Even if it wasn't, you thinking Vendrick being a giant hollow soldier is a problem shows that you don't understand the story at all. He has to be that, or his story doesn't work.

I appreciate how the fight and his pattern fits into the story, but gently caress that excuse, it should be a fun fight and it's just not, story be damned.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Doctor Spaceman posted:

And like the Taurus Demon, those two are meant as basic bosses to get people started.

Well if they wanted to make a 'one pattern fits all bosses' standard than it worked :v:

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Dragon Aerie is absolutely beautiful, and I think it's mostly because of how the engine processes the light sources. It makes me wish that the darker places in the game were less "zero physical light sources with ambient light turned up just enough to see around" and more "zero/minimal ambient light with tons of dim light sources around for ambiance."

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

I appreciate how the fight and his pattern fits into the story, but gently caress that excuse, it should be a fun fight and it's just not, story be damned.

Pretty much this. This is a game people.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

GreatGreen posted:

Dragon Aerie is absolutely beautiful. The lighting alone is brilliant. It makes me wish that the darker places in the game were less "zero physical light sources with ambient light turned up just enough to see around" and more "zero/minimal ambient light with tons of dim light sources around for ambiance."

The game looks amazingly better when you're using a torch instead of the natural stuff, even when it's not strictly necessary.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Motherfucker posted:

Pretty much this. This is a game people.

And games aren't allowed to have compelling stories? The fact is, you're complaining about a completely optional fight that you don't have to do and are never even prompted to start. The fight perfectly sums up the story of Vendrick and is an excellent moment where gameplay is used to tell story. If they'd turned it into the idiotic fight you described it would have none of that impact. I don't care if it would be fun, it would lack significance.

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Well some people can appreciate a story and for them the Vendrick fight is really good, even if it isn't fun mechanically. If you don't care about the story fine, but Vendrick is 100% optional so I'm not sure why you feel obligated to fight him.

VVV A game is asking you to put some thought into a story and enjoy it rather than just mindlessly kill everything. How terrible :geno:

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 26, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Well some people can appreciate a story and for them the Vendrick fight is really good, even if it isn't fun mechanically. If you don't care about the story fine, but Vendrick is 100% optional so I'm not sure why you care.

Internet Kraken posted:

r them the Vendrick fight is really good, even if it isn't fun mechan

Internet Kraken posted:

really good isn't fun

Internet Kraken posted:

:smug: <Well some people can appreciate a story

Motherfucker fucked around with this message at 17:58 on May 26, 2014

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

It still feels too long; I get that it's meant to represent his power, but the fact he 1-shots me with ease does a decent job of showing that too.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I actually really liked the Vendrick fight. I thought it was fun!

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Dark Souls II has, let's see... 24 bosses? I think it's okay for one of those bosses to be primarily a story boss. If you're not interested, there are other bosses.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

really good isn't fun

Dark Souls :confuoot:

Seriously though, I have to agree with Doctor Spaceman, Internet Kraken and the others. A good portion of why I like Dark Souls is the story, and Vendrick's is amazing.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Internet Kraken posted:

If you don't care about the story fine,

I didn't mean that but I see how I might have implied it. What I mean is there's no good reason it can't also be a fun fight while still telling a story, like a lot of the other bosses.

Internet Kraken posted:

but Vendrick is 100% optional so I'm not sure why you feel obligated to fight him.

You're right, it is optional. The thing about it, for me, is that you're so pushed to do it (or at least I felt like it), through the item descriptions pointing to it, and actually having to go into that room, that it's just disappointing for how excited the game made me for it.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Dark Souls II has, let's see... 24 bosses? I think it's okay for one of those bosses to be primarily a story boss. If you're not interested, there are other bosses.

Absolutely. It's not like it's even a big deal, and he's far from the only boss fight I found a let-down. It was just the current topic of conversation :shobon:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

All you babies saying killing Vendrick is optional just don't understand.

He has a crown.

Its not optional if it impedes my Fashion Souls.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I like the Vendrick fight in that it's a really big contrast compared to every single other boss fight that I can recall, which are all at least very animated and enthusiastic about murdering you. You finally get through the entire game just to kick this guy's rear end and take his spot, but when you finally reach him you find that his mind is already gone. Then you're just want to put him out of his misery.

I still don't see how the giant souls hint that they make his defenses weaker, though. This is all the description says.

quote:

The soul of a Giant who came to conquer Drangleic.
Will the Giants' resentment of the King be pacified in death, or only emboldened?
Can be used to acquire souls, only...

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

I still don't quite get why the Soldier's Rest are exists. I like optional areas a lot, but it feels like it was meant to lead to something more.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Cyberventurer posted:

I like the Vendrick fight in that it's a really big contrast compared to every single other boss fight that I can recall, which are all at least very animated and enthusiastic about murdering you. You finally get through the entire game just to kick this guy's rear end and take his spot, but when you finally reach him you find that his mind is already gone. Then you're just want to put him out of his misery.

I still don't see how the giant souls hint that they make his defenses weaker, though. This is all the description says.

:smug: You would get that hint if you took a second to think about the history of Dranglaic you dirty non-story appreciator person.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I still don't quite get why the Soldier's Rest are exists. I like optional areas a lot, but it feels like it was meant to lead to something more.

It's meant to lead to Onionbromanship.

Now if only the pieces had a decent drop rate...

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Personally I would find the Vendrick fight fun if he didn't have such a huge health bar. First time I thought him I just thought about his story and the lore of the whole world and came to a lot of interesting conclusions in the process. I wasn't having fun in the traditional sense, but I was enjoying thinking about the story of the game as a whole and Vendrick is a fight that really prompts you to do that.

Then I flubbed a dodge and died with 25% of his health left.

That happened two more times and by then I was done thinking about the story and just wanted to kill the fucker. The fight itself is fine but his health bar is just too big. It takes forever to kill him and while its not hard, a single mistake can kill you and then you have to spend 5 more minutes hacking away at his colossal health bar. That part of the fight isn't needed. If they just cut down his health a bunch I'd enjoy the fight a lot and it would still carry the same story impact.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 26, 2014

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Doctor Spaceman posted:

Isn't there a blocked/collapsed tunnel you never see the other side of? I'd guess you're right and it was meant to lead somewhere that got cut.

Internet Kraken posted:

Personally I would find the Vendrick fight fun if he didn't have such a huge health bar... It takes forever to kill him and while its not hard, a single mistake can kill you and then you have to spend 5 more minutes hacking away at his colossal health bar. That part of the fight isn't needed. If they just cut down his health a bunch I'd enjoy the fight a lot and it would still carry the same story impact.

This is a big part of why I didn't like it, and the same for ancient dragon.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I hate that place :( On my first playthrough (I was very rusty, if that's an excuse) I died probably 5-6 times getting to that bonfire and "exploring". It really seems like it would lead somewhere (crossing fingers for DLC)

Flytrap posted:

It's meant to lead to Onionbromanship.

Now if only the pieces had a decent drop rate...

Killed him 4 times, not one piece. I just want that helmet for my Goonther outfit cosplay :negative:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 26, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

A thing I don't get is why the enemies are all over the place, I mean some enemies are obviously for the place they're in, hollow soldiers and giants and stuff.

But why the gently caress are there grave wardens in harvest valley? Or old iron knights down in Soldier's rest?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
If Vendrick is 1 shotting you you should stick some points into Vigor or Vitality, whichever boosts health. I could only take 1 shot before needing an estus but it was still enough to survive, with around 20 vigor and a third dragon ring. Admittedly this was so late into the game that I'd boosted it because I'd run out of other useful stats really but it was only around 20 during the fight which doesn't seem to excessively if you're a melee character

EvilCornbread
Jun 2, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

I've never fought them with a summon and never will. They're probably my favorite fight in the game in terms of mechanical challenge. Fighting the last two sentinels with manikkin claws was tense as hell.
Yeah, after originally thinking they were impossible without summons, it was really satisfying to beat them solo in my dual caestus playthrough.

Keeping close enough so they don't do that nasty spin moved helped, and really being conservative helped a lot. They don't have that many moves, and they're pretty well telegraphed. If you sort out the timing and keep them pretty bunched together, it's really a lot of fun and very doable.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Motherfucker posted:

A thing I don't get is why the enemies are all over the place, I mean some enemies are obviously for the place they're in, hollow soldiers and giants and stuff.

But why the gently caress are there grave wardens in harvest valley? Or old iron knights down in Soldier's rest?

Earthen Peak is weird, because two of the prominent enemies don't seem to belong there. The desert sorceress could be thought of as worshipers of Mytha since she's obsessed with beauty and the sorceress work with seduction. I have no idea what the grave wardens deal is though. I heard its a King's Field reference.

The koopa knights are in Soldier's Rest because that whole area is a rundown military fort. The koopas were part of the army stationed there.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

Earthen Peak is weird, because two of the prominent enemies don't seem to belong there. The desert sorceress could be thought of as worshipers of Mytha since she's obsessed with beauty and the sorceress work with seduction. I have no idea what the grave wardens deal is though. I heard its a King's Field reference.

The koopa knights are in Soldier's Rest because that whole area is a rundown military fort. The koopas were part of the army stationed there.

I don't think there's a single place in the game the desert sorceresses fit thematically tbh.

I think they stuck em in so you could get the outfit since they worked so hard to get just the right balance between stripper and badass.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jose posted:

If Vendrick is 1 shotting you you should stick some points into Vigor or Vitality, whichever boosts health. I could only take 1 shot before needing an estus but it was still enough to survive, with around 20 vigor and a third dragon ring. Admittedly this was so late into the game that I'd boosted it because I'd run out of other useful stats really but it was only around 20 during the fight which doesn't seem to excessively if you're a melee character

I was a caster, and it was the only fight where I was that hilariously fragile so it seemed silly to respec.

Toadsmash
Jun 10, 2009

Dave Tate's downsy face approves.

EvilCornbread posted:

Yeah, after originally thinking they were impossible without summons, it was really satisfying to beat them solo in my dual caestus playthrough.

Keeping close enough so they don't do that nasty spin moved helped, and really being conservative helped a lot. They don't have that many moves, and they're pretty well telegraphed. If you sort out the timing and keep them pretty bunched together, it's really a lot of fun and very doable.

If you were able to solo O&S in the last game, Ruin Sentinels should've been like taking candy from a baby. The Sentinels are about 1000x less aggressive than those two.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

GreatGreen posted:

Dragon Aerie is absolutely beautiful, and I think it's mostly because of how the engine processes the light sources. It makes me wish that the darker places in the game were less "zero physical light sources with ambient light turned up just enough to see around" and more "zero/minimal ambient light with tons of dim light sources around for ambiance."

You need to install GedoSata. Seriously.

On the topic of Vendrick immediately after you fight his guard, is that really a thing? Do you have to kill him without dying in the fight, or is there some specific criteria like you can't pickup his ring before you fight him, otherwise his Giant defense goes up?

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 26, 2014

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of Earthen Peak, am I the only one really disappointed in what it turned out to be? I managed to keep relatively un-spoilered until PC release, so I had only heard the name "Earthen Peak" without actually seeing it. It sounded like a badass mountain to me, not some boring windmill :(

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Vendrick ain't got no time for casters. Its like he is slaved to kill you dead if you hit that cast button and he's pretty much bulletproof to spells as much as anything else.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

The Old Koopas gear says that they just appeared one day so I assumed that the Old Iron King sent some over as a favour to Vendrick. I have no idea about the Sorceresses or the Wardens though, they're just confusing. Maybe they're BFFs with the Manikins

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Really, the only theme that ties them together is that none of them have visible faces.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of Earthen Peak, am I the only one really disappointed in what it turned out to be? I managed to keep relatively un-spoilered until PC release, so I had only heard the name "Earthen Peak" without actually seeing it. It sounded like a badass mountain to me, not some boring windmill :(

It's possibly my least favourite zone in the game because it's so visually boring. The Black Gutter is more tedious to playthrough, and the Shrine of Amana has its own unique charm but at least both of those zones look cool.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Doctor Spaceman posted:

I was a caster, and it was the only fight where I was that hilariously fragile so it seemed silly to respec.

I was a caster, but I'd levelled up so much by that point I'd pumped a fair amount into boosting my health. I got my stamina up to where I could cast lightning 4 times then went all in on health

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Jose posted:

I was a caster, but I'd levelled up so much by that point I'd pumped a fair amount into boosting my health. I got my stamina up to where I could cast lightning 4 times then went all in on health

I think I had Int and Faith both > 50, which didn't leave that many points to spare once I'd put enough into Attunement stamina.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Also re: Desert Sorceresses, that's a thing I want to see in a Souls game... we've had tons of forest ruins and rundown cities/cathedrals/castles/asylums/whatevers and lots of crazy hellscapes and lovely swamps/shantytowns... we've never had a good desert. Deserts in general are something you really don't see in these sorts of games, really, and it could be fun to have a crazy desert ruin with sand that you slowly sink into as you walk through it and you need to either find a ring or lower your equip to get through it safely or poo poo like that... maybe a crazy sandstorm area like the Shaded Woods, except it's full of wind and sand whipping around and looks insane.

Next gen, dammit!