Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

FrozenVent posted:

A note on trade is that if you check often, you can find some stupid good deals, like corn at $150 (Helllooo factory farms!) or steel at ~3500... Which you can then flip to the ruskies at ~6000.

How feasible is it to have a completely trade based economy, without producing much or anything for export? I've tried it once or twice but it seems my treasury just craters when the imports come in and never recover.

It works but if you started in the colonial era you'll need to shift slowly. Even if you're swimming in cash, it's easy to drain the reserves by buying and immediately exporting (dumbest mechanic in this game, by far) when you're getting setup and you have to watch your spending like a hawk so that you aren't in the red when your supply ships are trying to purchase import goods.

One of my two islands is in the world war era and produces 0 of its own raw goods. I have much more land to play around with and don't need to worry about cramming farms or building a residential outpost all the way over by that one gold mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Darkhold posted:

I rather hilariously ruined my island by doing a mass upgrade of farms and found that all the new farms required high schoolers (currently tied up in my industry/army) which caused a massive unemployment surge mixed with food stores dropping like crazy and people being turfed out of their homes for suddenly being poor.

Its weird how many upgrades change the base requirements. Like upgrading homes to a new era and it causes the level of wealth needed to live in their increases so you have to drop the building budget back down or have a surge of homeless. Feels poorly thought out.

As far as upgrading homes goes, if you realise you've made your housing too "good" for your people (or if you just have plenty of cash to blow and want to simplify matters) the assisted mortgage edict saves you a lot of time and hassle by letting poorer people move into nicer homes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
I haven't made it to the modern era yet but I assume it causes a credit crisis at some point :getin:

The feel of the game seems a bit off, somehow. Like it's decent Tropico, but it doesn't quite feel the same. Maybe the tone's shifted or something. Beats Tropico 2, anyway.

az
Dec 2, 2005

I really dislike the new budget system. Budgets are for government buildings, give me back rent and wage controls with more than 5 steps to better tailor my economy/residential setups :argh:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Heh that part I don't mind, it feels a bit more realistic. Adjusting everyone's salary was a pain in the rear end, and it'd be more complicated with the different eras, really.

Beside let's face it, you only ever had three pay levels, with adjustments for keeping the army happy and filling those undesirable jobs.

Giggle Goose
Oct 18, 2009
Do you all know if there is any penalty to having industrial factories next to residential zones? I really like concentrating as much of my stuff as I can into one city, but I am afraid that putting my steel factories next to my apartments will somehow upset people.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

Zigmidge posted:

One of my two islands is in the world war era and produces 0 of its own raw goods. I have much more land to play around with and don't need to worry about cramming farms or building a residential outpost all the way over by that one gold mine.

What do you do with illiterate workers?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Pollution / beauty affects housing scores, if it works anything like the previous versions.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Bloodnose posted:

Arrest them. Tropico is an intellectual paradise, no dumb-dumbs allowed. :colbert:

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Captain Mediocre posted:

As far as upgrading homes goes, if you realise you've made your housing too "good" for your people (or if you just have plenty of cash to blow and want to simplify matters) the assisted mortgage edict saves you a lot of time and hassle by letting poorer people move into nicer homes.
That is one of my favorite edicts but I'm pretty sure it only works for one level. You can easily upgrade a dwelling 2+ wealth levels as you move through the eras if you don't remember to check the budget for the building. It's a screwy system I feel that you can make a neighborhood homeless pretty easily. It needs the free housing edict back.

FrozenVent posted:

Pollution / beauty affects housing scores, if it works anything like the previous versions.
A good way to get a sudden boost in support is to start dropping gardens around houses and turn the beauty grid green.

Darkhold fucked around with this message at 15:56 on May 26, 2014

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Darkhold posted:

A good way to get a sudden boost in support is to start dropping gardens around houses and turn the beauty grid green.

Gardens are a must, really, for aesthetic reasons as well as practical ones. I like to make sprawling courtyards behind my slums, I imagine that they're crime ridden parks ala 80's central park.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

Darkhold posted:

That is one of my favorite edicts but I'm pretty sure it only works for one level. You can easily upgrade a dwelling 2+ wealth levels as you move through the eras if you don't remember to check the budget for the building. It's a screwy system I feel that you can make a neighborhood homeless pretty easily. It needs the free housing edict back.

In my testing with it, it lets "Poor" people move into apartments, which is a good standard residence. If you also enact social security, then even your unemployed people should be at "Poor" rather than "Broke".

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

When someone's role is revealed as "crime lord", should I have them shot or... I don't know, I kind of miss my prisons and work camps. :getin:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Just banish them, you get some of their money and they gently caress off to Florida or something.

Wallet
Jun 19, 2006

Has anyone figured out exactly how land quality works for pastures? Visually the animals stay penned up, but if I put anything near them the land quality goes straight to poo poo for animals. Giving ranches bonuses for being near farms/farms bonuses for being near ranches would make me think that shouldn't be the case, but I duno.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Bloodnose posted:

A policy of heavy fertility rates via clinic upgrades and mandates, free heavily subsidized education and catholic missions plopped right in the middle of shanty towns (All my country homes get upgraded into houses) topped with a creamy coating of Love it or Leave it immigration policy encourages an educated population in no time. Pay your uneducated jobs well, though, or you'll have a riot of the poors in less time.

You could banish them but that costs money and mouse clicks - this is a far lazier way to accomplish the same thing.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate

SubNat posted:

This nice person
https://www.youtube.com/user/kahdeksan/playlists
Has the Soundtrack for Tropico 1, 3 and 4, in separate playlists, might be worth setting the ingame music to 0, and having it play in the background?

Or just have this on repeat, works too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xn3L1OQlWs
( Tropico 3 + 4's ost in a single video. )

Another free alternative is to search Spotify for Alex Torres, who made most of the music for the Tropico series. His Elementos album contains alot of the music used in the game.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

When someone's role is revealed as "crime lord", should I have them shot or... I don't know, I kind of miss my prisons and work camps. :getin:

What negative effect do crime lords even have? One of my games had a lot of them but I was too pussy to shoot them and they didn't seem to actually be that bad. A lot of them were productively working normal jobs so I figured they were just trying to live out some distant Scarface fantasies. Live and let live, says Presidente.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Crime lords drain money from you as shown as "corruption" on your info screen.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
Oh I was trying to increase that number because official corruption is an integral part of the Tropican economy.

But not private corruption. That's unacceptable!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Bloodnose posted:

Oh I was trying to increase that number because official corruption is an integral part of the Tropican economy.

But not private corruption. That's unacceptable!

My corruption is the only moral corruption.

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Baronjutter posted:

Crime lords drain money from you as shown as "corruption" on your info screen.

I'm glad someone said that. I wish I had known. Fuckers are getting iced now.

I will be killing them in the streets. Setting an example. El presidente has a problem when you steal from the state (my pockets).

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I was exporting rum to to America during the probation and when they got cranky I sent a dynasty member to negotiate. What the game didn't say was that that meant the member staying overseas to become a crimelord and I permanently lost a level 5 member. loving bullshit.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
That happened to me as well, instant ragequit. Suppose I'll have to get used to the idea of dynasty members coming and going, but drat it they're a huge investment of time or money to level up.

What pisses me off was that last time I did that they were so convincing that they single-handedly ended the Prohibition so I was just expecting another quick fix in exchange for a dynasty member spending a couple years overseas.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Rhonyn Peacemaker posted:

I'm glad someone said that. I wish I had known. Fuckers are getting iced now.

I will be killing them in the streets. Setting an example. El presidente has a problem when you steal from the state (my pockets).

Of course, the problem with that is that it massively increases unrest, which as I found out recently, is a real pain in the rear end. I have no idea how to decrease unrest, so I was forced to run democracy so that people wouldn't rebel in the streets. On the other hand, my approval rating is at 80%, so I'm really not sure why the unrest is still so high.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If you haven't had an uprising yet, you should. It's hilarious.

Also your game is pretty much hosed, hope you had a decent save.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

This game is great, but a handful of spots where I lack any control (mainly the inability to simply arrest someone like in 3/4 or CONTROL MY loving EXPORTS) is driving me up the wall.

It's great to see my jewelry shop run at a loss because the teamsters hauling gold drive right on by.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

FrozenVent posted:

If you haven't had an uprising yet, you should. It's hilarious.

Also your game is pretty much hosed, hope you had a decent save.

Yeah, I had an uprising once, and lost. I then reloaded, swapped to democracy, and built eight more army bases just on the off chance that an uprising still manages to happen.

I think all the unrest happened from banishing a shitload of crime lords. Also, I have yet to discover a single rebel, despite having police coverage everywhere and running constitution options that increase discovery rate. I'm guessing that's a good thing.

Is there a quick way to view all special people at once instead of having to hunt for those little red bowler caps manually?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

If you set a ship to import with an upgraded customs house you'll buy the resources for cheaper than what your teamster morons are exporting your domestic for. :downs:

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

Fun Shoe
But really this isn't tyranny! The guy was a self-professed crime lord! It's not my fault Tropicans have no concept of judiciary or imprisonment!

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Poil posted:

If you set a ship to import with an upgraded customs house you'll buy the resources for cheaper than what your teamster morons are exporting your domestic for. :downs:

You still need to get lucky on getting a cheap import deal. Even with an upgraded customs house my best gold import deal is $50 more per 1k than the actual price of gold ($25,550 compared to $25,500) Great, but still a loss if my teamsters decide to be stupid and put the gold in the next dock over.

Seriously, a warehouse building that you could chose to stockpile certain resources, or outright ban the export of resources (uranium! :argh:) would be great, or just have the teamster AI have an incredibly heavy preference on filling your factories first.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Poil posted:

I was exporting rum to to America during the probation and when they got cranky I sent a dynasty member to negotiate. What the game didn't say was that that meant the member staying overseas to become a crimelord and I permanently lost a level 5 member. loving bullshit.
My Dynasty member convinced the USA to end Prohibition then they returned. :shrug:

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
By the way. Killing crime lords doesn't decrease corruption. That is a crock of poo poo. I have corruption at 15% and killing / banishing a bunch of them only resulted in 3 rebels turning into 30. Thanks gamers.txt

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Killing people causes more unrest? Dear god! Did you read what you typed?

MS Paint
Sep 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Zigmidge posted:

Killing people causes more unrest? Dear god! Did you read what you typed?

Yes, I was okay with that. But it doesn't decrease corruption either.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Does anything reduce corruption/unrest?

Normal Adult Human
Feb 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Criminality is a vacuum.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Normal Adult Human posted:

Criminality is a vacuum.
Nature abhors it?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Strudel Man posted:

Does anything reduce corruption/unrest?

More army

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonide
Oct 18, 2007

You're breaking my balls here
So going into the Cold War era, all of my trading stopped simultaneously, right as I was invaded...and I had to spend money on the invasion. I looked at my export options, and I didn't have any of it, so I built a cigar factory with my last bit of coin, and invited the USSR in, because they had cigar exports up.

By the time the factory stopped building, the export options "cycled", and cigars are no longer there. Long story short, I'm now hemorrhaging money, barely scraping by, by exporting milk to the USSR. Is there any other way to earn money besides trade? I've already reactivated my sovereign loans, built a bank. Things are going into the shitter fast.

How low can I go in debt before the game kicks me off?

• Locked thread