Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
The leader of Ireland's political mudguardjunior party in government is set to resign over the poor results in the elections.

Will this put any additional pressure on Clegg, you think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

Galsia posted:

Like the rest of them, Ed Milliband does not give as poo poo about the average person in the UK. As long as he continues to get his pay and expenses, he couldn't care less.

There's no need to be cynical instead of callous and indifferent he may simply be ineffectual and weak!

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
Plenty of pressure. Clegg might even admit that lessons have been learned.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

School Nickname posted:

The leader of Ireland's political mudguardjunior party in government is set to resign over the poor results in the elections.

Nah. Even though the part activists are jumping up and down, he has dug his little heels in to wait for the apocalypse. But then again, I doubt changing horses now will help, as much as I'd like to see Cable at the top table; I think he's be out of the coalition in a cold second.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
doesn't seem to be a new tune for Khan

I think the spin-doctor image-conscious era of Blair would've thrown a fit, though

edit: and there's no Labour plan to save education, welfare, and the NHS, so hoping for Miliband to trumpet one is a non-starter.

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:17 on May 26, 2014

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

ronya posted:

I think the spin-doctor image-conscious era of Blair would've thrown a fit, though

To be fair, it's hard to see how public self-flagellation is supposed to be a winning strategy.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Paddy Ashdown was the best prime minister we never had. He is ex SAS for fucks sake!!!

You are a loving idiot

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

School Nickname posted:

I suppose the interesting question is who would replace him even if he was willing to stand down. Vince Cable would obviously be the frontrunner, but if he didn't want it then who? We can probably rule out those in Scottish seats (even if not then Jo Swinson is going to lose her seat next year, and Danny Alexander is in a 3 way with Labour and the SNP where tactical voting might oust him). David Laws has the expenses thing. Ed Davey, euh. It doesn't look good for them.

in other news Insurers 'snooping on GP records'

quote:

Data watchdogs are to investigate claims that Britain's leading life insurers are being given full access to GP records.

The Information Commissioner will look into concerns that insurers are routinely accessing medical records, including details about contraception, mental health and relationships, without customer consent.

Surprising nobody, it was predicted from the moment the idea was floated.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

Serotonin posted:

You are a loving idiot

A fair point.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

LemonDrizzle posted:

To be fair, it's hard to see how public self-flagellation is supposed to be a winning strategy.

you'll be amazed how often politicians are convinced that being 'sincere' in public is convincing

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

ronya posted:

edit: and there's no Labour plan to save education, welfare, and the NHS, so hoping for Miliband to trumpet one is a non-starter.

He was trying to position himself for labour's London mayoral candidate before. Personally chasing ukip votes seems counterproductive for that. Odd.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall
see the problem right now is we aren't mobilising the youth vote. The poo poo and rigged electoral system that ensures people who are essentially irrelevant to their lives are the only options make it pointless. Look at France, they've just shown us what you can do with a young, angry population.

:shepicide:

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
Well, more Khan:

https://twitter.com/sadiqkhan/status/442992367512322048

I wonder how much of this is subconscious absorption of "white working class" political analysis from America, even though it doesn't really apply in Britain, where the collapsed industrial towns blame Thatcher, not greens and the DLC. Yorkshire isn't the Appalachia. Still, I suspect that if they say it enough times it'll become true

ronya fucked around with this message at 16:33 on May 26, 2014

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Spangly A posted:

see the problem right now is we aren't mobilising the youth vote. The poo poo and rigged electoral system that ensures people who are essentially irrelevant to their lives are the only options make it pointless. Look at France, they've just shown us what you can do with a young, angry population.

:shepicide:

The last time the youth voted for a sure winner in their demographic it was Clegg. For a lot of people, that was probably their first voting experience. They voted for a guy who promised elimination of crippling student debt and got a cocksucking bunch of Tories who will happily gently caress them over.

I think the worst thing is that there was a chance of the Tories not getting significant power if Labour and the Libs tried a bit harder to form their own coalition but Clegg made a deal with the devil and this is the result. They are never going to get any more significant gains and the country is slowly turning fascist.

With a bit of luck the only rivers of blood are going to be from Tories hanging from the loving lampposts and being beaten with chains.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ddraig posted:

With a bit of luck the only rivers of blood are going to be from Tories hanging from the loving lampposts and being beaten with chains.

It won't be this, mate. It won't be this :(

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

ronya posted:

you'll be amazed how often politicians are convinced that being 'sincere' in public is convincing

It's not? Look at the Maria Miller thing, that ran for days and ended with her kicked out, but all anyone was complaining about was the fact she didn't sound genuine when she apologised. The idea that saying sorry and admitting it (when you've already been caught committing fraud and obstructing the investigation into it) might somehow not be enough just wasn't voiced. Watching the news coverage was like some bizarro world where everything runs on manners

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

baka kaba posted:

Watching the news coverage was like some bizarro world where everything runs on manners

*shrug* UKIP gets away with talking about camps (sorry 'congregate communities') for mentally ill people as part of their manifesto because they do it 'politely', so seems like it's a fair assessment of the situation

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

The Supreme Court posted:

Ed Milliband is the single worst part of our our political process. If he had any balls he'd be standing up and calling UKIP a bunch of racist toffs while announcing plans to save the NHS, welfare and education. No loving wonder political apathy is so high when the sole party that claims to represent the people doesn't give a poo poo.

Imagine it was truly the case that there were groups of people coming here just to mooch off of the British taxpayers. People who have nothing but contempt for us, who want to utilise the system we've built but do nothing to support it. I would genuinely dislike this group of people. There are people out there who think these are characteristics of Poles, Pakistanis, Romanians. Calling these people racist isn't going to make them change who they vote for, because in their minds it's a rational decision to vote UKIP.

I'm not sure to what extent these people could even really be called racist. Misinformed possibly, but when you've been drip-fed memes about asylum seekers and flatscreen TVs for 10 years no wonder people are getting mad.

It makes sense for Labour to court the voters with a line of "we know your life is shittier than it should be. Elect us and we'll fix the problems with wages and cost of living", I just hope it can win out against the universal panacea of "we leave the EU and everything will go back to the good old days immediately".

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

winegums posted:

but when you've been drip-fed memes about asylum seekers

When did it switch from asylum seekers to "immigrants" in general?

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

HortonNash posted:

When did it switch from asylum seekers to "immigrants" in general?

Around 2009/2010, it was still 'asylum seekers' when brown was in office, but it seemed to change to being about immigrants in general sometime before the GE

e: I *think* the cause might have been all the brouhaha about Abu Hamza, because he wasn't an asylum seeker afaik, but 'something must be done!!'

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Darth Walrus posted:

My mum's a research professor in pain, and is saying that the NHS's funding situation is bad enough that it's likely to collapse by August. Even if they had the political will, Labour might not get the chance to save it. :smithicide:

It's not good but it's not going to fall over.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Filboid Studge posted:

It's not good but it's not going to fall over.

I sincerely doubt it would fall over as well, but imagine the political brouhaha that would result :stare:

Private Eye
Jul 12, 2010

Don't be so bloody gay, Cambo

Serotonin posted:

You are a loving idiot

I know right, he's ex Special boat, not Air.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I think it's switched because the Tories have realized that attacking asylum seekers predictably produces sympathetic victims but still makes it hard to eject problematic preachers

fundamentally they can't out and say "we want the right to condition leave to remain on participating only within permissible politics", so they're stuck

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

baka kaba posted:

Watching the news coverage was like some bizarro world where everything runs on manners

JG Ballard posted:

I think the English are great actors, there's no doubt about it, and we're all performing roles whether we're aware of it or not. We don't have the sort of frankness and openness of the Australians, or Americans or Canadians. In England there's a very complex social landscape dominated by the class system, which still seems to be very strong. Here people tend not to say what they think. It's always because we're a crowded island. We behave like people on a crowded aircraft or, if you like, a crowded lifeboat: we put on a face that is designed to lower the temperature, allowing everything to carry on without too much discomfort. The trouble is that this hides the underlying truth about what we feel [...] an underlying aggression and unease. They are all to do with our desire to paper over the cracks - and there are a lot of cracks.

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014

Ddraig posted:

cocksucking bunch of Tories

Steady now.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

SybilVimes posted:

*shrug* UKIP gets away with talking about camps (sorry 'congregate communities') for mentally ill people as part of their manifesto because they do it 'politely', so seems like it's a fair assessment of the situation

Oh I'm not saying it was an anomaly, just a good example of a clear opportunity for some rabble rousing (expenses claims) and an exciting storyline payoff when she got kicked out. Instead the whole thing was framed from the politicians' viewpoint, that it would all be water under the bridge if she just apologised in front of the class, and she didn't, not properly. It seems like the easiest story to run with properly for once, and they didn't. It feels like there's barely any investigation or critical analysis anymore.

It's no wonder a right-wing government can run the country into the ground, pretend like everything's going great thanks to their sterling work, and convince people that the only reason they're still struggling is that they are here taking all the jobs/welfare/medical treatment etc. The media is right there making the case for them and challenging nothing, which would be rude! And then the right wing sleepwalks in by blowing those same dog whistles

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone else read the second book of Paul Cornell's London Falling urban-fantasy series yet? Because it contains a great deal that's relevant to this thread's interests.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Meanwhile, in Northern Ireland, the Tories get less first preference votes than the number of spoiled votes.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

TinTower posted:

Meanwhile, in Northern Ireland, the Tories get less first preference votes than the number of spoiled votes.

Ahahaha

I mean I know it's more because there's plenty of other right-wing shits to vote for in Norn Iron, but gently caress that, I'm going to be proud of this. Our wee land did something grand :unsmith:

e; VVV yeah actually you're probably right about that.

Ms Adequate fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 26, 2014

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Mister Adequate posted:

I sincerely doubt it would fall over as well, but imagine the political brouhaha that would result :stare:

What, lots of THE PREVIOUS GOVERNMENT and UNSUSTAINABLE WE CAN'T GO ON LIKE THIS, with brave David Cameron (appearing at a hospital near you with shirt sleeves rolled up) putting aside his differences with the coalition to forge a new health system at unprecedented speed, bringing together any number of excellent private sector partners, organising the sale of NHS infrastructure, and doing the best he can to get everything in place so the country is never at risk from Labour's mistakes? Stiff upper lip chaps, we'll get through these tough times and come out better and stronger with a more robust and competitive health system!

They probably already have the whole thing planned out somewhere, maybe they'll let you take a look!

Alecto
Feb 11, 2014

TinTower posted:

Any chance of it not going 1/1/1 SF/DUP/UUP?

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

baka kaba posted:

What, lots of THE PREVIOUS GOVERNMENT and UNSUSTAINABLE WE CAN'T GO ON LIKE THIS, with brave David Cameron (appearing at a hospital near you with shirt sleeves rolled up) putting aside his differences with the coalition to forge a new health system at unprecedented speed, bringing together any number of excellent private sector partners, organising the sale of NHS infrastructure, and doing the best he can to get everything in place so the country is never at risk from Labour's mistakes? Stiff upper lip chaps, we'll get through these tough times and come out better and stronger with a more robust and competitive health system!

They probably already have the whole thing planned out somewhere, maybe they'll let you take a look!

Things might get rather unpleasant should something like that happen.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

Serotonin posted:

You are a loving idiot

And you are a oval office

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Serotonin posted:

You are an idiot.

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

And you are a oval office

And you remove all doubt.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Alecto posted:

Any chance of it not going 1/1/1 SF/DUP/UUP?

It's not looking to likely, there is only 2000 votes between the UUP and SDLP but it's unlikely the SDLP will pick up enough transfers to meet the quota before the TUV is eliminated - they need a massive chunk of Alliances transfers on top of SFs surplus.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

HortonNash posted:

Things might get rather unpleasant should something like that happen.

I'd like to hope so, but that sort of is the endgame and they haven't had much trouble so far. No top-down reorganisation of the NHS, everyone!

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

ANYTHING YOU SOW posted:

The real question is why so many people on the left are pro EU

Knee-jerk reaction to racist shitheels being against it.

nuzak
Feb 13, 2012

Renaissance Robot posted:

Knee-jerk reaction to racist shitheels being against it.

The left is so easily manipulable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Ruh-roh: Lib Dems face defeat in 'safe' seats

quote:

The electoral oblivion apparently confronting the Liberal Democrats as led by Nick Clegg was underscored on Monday by leaked opinion polls in four seats showing that the party will be wiped out.

Commissioned by a Lib Dem supporter from ICM and subsequently passed to the Guardian, the polling indicates that the Lib Dem leader would forfeit his own Sheffield Hallam constituency at the next election.

The party would also lose its seats in in Cambridge, Redcar and Wells, costing MPs Julian Huppert, Ian Swales and Tessa Munt Westminster seats.

Clegg's seat being at risk is unsurprising, but if the Lib Dems' local organizations elsewhere can't save them then they're in deep trouble. Julian Huppert always struck me as a fairly decent bloke for an MP - would be a shame to see him ousted, although he was always going to have a tough time in 2015 as a Lib Dem MP representing a university town.

• Locked thread