Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Torrannor posted:

I hope there is a hidden flag that makes your character immune to manure explosion plots after receiving this event.

Judging by my current game, no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

SynthOrange posted:

How is 'too distant to interact with' calculated? I cant do my stupid gimmick of norse africans anymore.

Just conquer Corsica first.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

Well, there's entries in defines.lua.

MAX_DIPLO_DISTANCE = 700, -- Most diplomacy is disallowed if two rulers are too distant
MAX_DIPLO_DISTANCE_SAME_RELIGION = 100, -- Bonus to max diplo distance for being of the same religion
MAX_DIPLO_DISTANCE_SAME_RELIGION_GROUP = 0, -- Bonus to max diplo distance for being of the same religion group
MAX_DIPLO_DISTANCE_SAME_CULTURE = 100, -- Bonus to max diplo distance for being of the same culture
MAX_DIPLO_DISTANCE_SAME_CULTURE_GROUP = 100, -- Bonus to max diplo distance for being of the same culture group

Seems reasonably self-evident.

I wish there was a map mode that showed what places are in range. It gets weird when you're playing in Russia and a Cuman adventurer is too far away for stabbing, but you can still call up the king of France and ask him if he's got prince albert in a can.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Have they automatically converted for you before? I've been playing since launch and I've never seen it happen. You still have to arrange the marriage through diplomacy, as if you had never betrothed. The betrothal itself is basically just calling dibs, no one else can marry them until you either accept the marriage or break the betrothal.

They've always worked before. The younger party would turn 16 and the "cool idea bro, let's hitch our relatives" box from the other noble would appear. This doesn't happen any more.

Worse, you can't even complete the marriage through diplomacy because the game won't allow you to marry anyone to a betrothed person - including their betrothed. You have to break the betrothal and incur the malus before you can marry them off.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
Well it almost seems like your half is out of your court. Have you turned the notification off?

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

paranoid randroid posted:

I wish there was a map mode that showed what places are in range. It gets weird when you're playing in Russia and a Cuman adventurer is too far away for stabbing, but you can still call up the king of France and ask him if he's got prince albert in a can.

Tell your spymaster to sow discontent and anything in range will be green.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Nightblade posted:

Tell your spymaster to sow discontent and anything in range will be green.

I thought sow discontent was a chancellor action.

Anyway, is sow discontent a worthwhile action to take, and is there a good way to get the best out of it? Normally my chancellor is either fabricating claims or doing improved diplomatic relations on my most-pissed-off vassal, and my spymaster does little but sit in Constantinople studying technology or scheming to knock people out of factions.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gort posted:

Anyway, is sow discontent a worthwhile action to take, and is there a good way to get the best out of it? Normally my chancellor is either fabricating claims or doing improved diplomatic relations on my most-pissed-off vassal, and my spymaster does little but sit in Constantinople studying technology or scheming to knock people out of factions.

It's situationally useful. I've used it before when there's an unpopular king and an unhappy vassal on my border, to incite the vassal into some kind of revolt so that I can attack him and take some land. It's hard to tell when it works, though, and in my experience you're much more likely to incite local barons, mayors, and bishops into disliking the vassal you're actually targeting than you are to succeed in the real mission.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

vyelkin posted:

It's situationally useful. I've used it before when there's an unpopular king and an unhappy vassal on my border, to incite the vassal into some kind of revolt so that I can attack him and take some land. It's hard to tell when it works, though, and in my experience you're much more likely to incite local barons, mayors, and bishops into disliking the vassal you're actually targeting than you are to succeed in the real mission.

So is the idea to use it on the vassals of your target? I was targeting my target (Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire) directly. Nothing appeared to be happening, even with a skill of 22.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Gort posted:

Oh, yeah, probably? I'm may be thinking about some other councillor action. The point is, if you use one of the councillor actions that are valid for all provinces you'll see where your diplomatic range extends. I usually use steal technology, but since provinces that have no technologies higher than your capitol shows up grey it's not 100% accurate.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Gort posted:

So is the idea to use it on the vassals of your target? I was targeting my target (Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire) directly. Nothing appeared to be happening, even with a skill of 22.

Yeah you have to target individual vassals and stick your chancellor on their capital. Sticking it on the liege won't do anything at all. The upside of this system is that you get to choose who you're targeting, so your chancellor won't waste his time on content relatives. The downside is you can only sabotage one relationship at a time.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Hmm. Did they secretly update the Beta? I'm on 2.1.5.5 and CK2 just dowmloaded something.

Evil Queen Bee
Sep 7, 2011

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Hmm. Did they secretly update the Beta? I'm on 2.1.5.5 and CK2 just dowmloaded something.

It looks like it, over on the forums they have fresh patch notes.

quote:

MAJOR:
- Optimized AI for elector titles for religions
- Optimized so interface should seem smoother at all times, less stuttering
- Fixed a bug where wars against vassals would not start properly, and freeze any plot related to that war.
- Fixed crash when you hover over dead characters religion icon
- Fixed CTD when AI is evaluating targets
- Fixed CTD with tradeposts when resigning game and starting a new old gods game.

MINOR:
- Now properly updates holy sites for Muslim religions.
- Added missing localisation for coa_plain_pagan and coa_plain_indian.
- Modified decisions, achievments and events for Indian empires to also trigger for the empire of India.
- Your spymaster can now properly persuade other nobles to join your faction.
- Fixed a bug where characters were having their tutor reassigned from the tutor the player had picked for them
- Muslim Special Troops now use the Muslim Horse Archer model, rather than the Western Light Cavalry model

INTERFACE:
- Improved cardinal appointment score text and interface a tiny bit
- Changed the law tab for republics so that they now properly show the expected successors.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Civilized Fishbot posted:

Apparently, if you run an empire with Tanistry, and your Tanist is the Grand Mayor of the world's largest merchant republic, the inheritance will destroy the republic and leave your empire feudal :(

That's a change, you used to be able to use Tanistry in exactly the manner you're describing to flip to a republic.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Torrannor posted:

You can look them up on the excellent CK2 wiki:

http://www.ckiiwiki.com/Combat_tactics

The cultural specific tactics are on the bottom of the page.
Belated thanks! I had no idea the wedge formation was a Byzantine tactic, although it seems the altaic tactic is better for the cataphract retinue. Maybe I need to breed some altaic generals for the empire...

Last Emperor
Oct 30, 2009

drat, even with the newest Beta I'm still getting that CTD with Ironman auto-saves after a couple of hours.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
How long is the Crusade cooldown, and how do I request one?

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.
You cannot request crusades, and the cool down is 5 years.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

- Modified decisions, achievements and events for Indian empires to also trigger for the empire of India.

Sorry, does anyone know what in the living hell this means?

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

Midnight Voyager posted:

There are three de jure empires in India, and if you control the entirety of all of them you can form the special Empire of India. Presumably there were special events, decisions and achievements that applied to the de jure empires that now also apply to the Empire of India itself.

Sorced
Nov 5, 2009
At the start there are 3 de jure empires located in india. If you are indian and own everything inside these 3 empires you can combine them into one big empire of india and become the Samrat Chakravartin. Previously some events only worked for the de jure empires of india but not the combined empire of india. Now they do.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Freudian posted:

There are three de jure empires in India, and if you control the entirety of all of them you can form the special Empire of India. Presumably there were special events, decisions and achievements that applied to the de jure empires that now also apply to the Empire of India itself.

Ah, that makes much more sense, thank you.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
Is there a reason to make the Indian empire now? Does it have de jure territory?

Talky
Mar 26, 2010

Midnight Voyager posted:

Edit: Beaten twice over.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Is there a reason to make the Indian empire now? Does it have de jure territory?

It's badass.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Yeah, when you create it you automatically incorporate all three of the smaller Indian empires.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

I think it gets rid of the three Empires and all their de jure territory becomes India. Looking at the decisions, I mean, that's what I think.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

Since the first patch since RoI it flips the other three's de-jure land (or at least your primary) over to India

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Never ever had this problem and I always take African stuff as Italian Republics.

"Republic of Gotland -> holy war for Norse holdings in Sweden -> lose the Republic of Gotland" is a pretty easy to repeat demonstration of this issue unless it was fixed without being noted in the changelogs since I last posted about it a few months ago.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 26, 2014

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
How am I supposed to avoid stagnation as a west african pagan? I can consistently form the kingdom of Mali but, when I try to forge farther north I get massacred by the shia to the north.

Emanuel Collective
Jan 16, 2008

by Smythe
I just tried my hand at an islamic merchant republic and now I'm all aboard the "get rid of the Decadence mechanic entirely" train

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

Azuth0667 posted:

How am I supposed to avoid stagnation as a west african pagan? I can consistently form the kingdom of Mali but, when I try to forge farther north I get massacred by the shia to the north.

By not playing as a west African pagan. Their land sucks, they have no unique events and their cultural retinue is light infantry. Paradox basicaly says "lol gently caress africa" in some way every single game and here's your "gently caress africa" moment.

West Africans are almost entirely featureless and its "working as designed".

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

By not playing as a west African pagan. Their land sucks, they have no unique events and their cultural retinue is light infantry. Paradox basicaly says "lol gently caress africa" in some way every single game and here's your "gently caress africa" moment.

West Africans are almost entirely featureless and its "working as designed".

Wow, that was the least enjoyable pagan faction I've played and its working as intended :shepface:. gently caress that then back to being Norse pagans unless there's some faction from old gods that's basically set up to murder the poo poo out of HRE. My last game I finished HRE managed to stall me out of making the empire of britania because of truces.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Is there any good way to retrieve underage children from a foreign court? I'd handed my heir a county in my demesne so he wouldn't go running off to the court of the Genius woman I married him to, since she had a temple. He popped out a pair of daughters, I offered the eldest the hand of the Norse culture/religion Sayyid kid I'd groomed for her, he refuses because he wants a better alliance. So okay, I plot revoke his county. He runs off to his wife's court, I blow some pocket change murdering her and invite him back.

And somehow, in the week or so between revoking, stabbing, and getting him back to Akershus his daughters ended up in the court of some dipshit backwater count in Konugardr. No idea why, it's like half a dozen countries away from the place my heir's wife was from, and she was lowborn so it's not some distant relative getting a hold them somehow. Konugardr's outside my realm, they're Norse too so I can't just march in my ~28K retinue to Great Holy War the place into submission, and I've got no claims on Count Childsnatcher's lands, plus the eldest daughter is 5 so I've got a bit of a time limit before the AI sticks my eventual empress with some useless dumbass as a tutor.

And I'm assuming if I ask in a year they're going to just laugh and go "HERP DERP HOSTAGE IN FOREIGN POWER," since that exact same thing happened when one of my older emperors somehow left all his child sons with the Varangian Guard. Not only would they not let me tutor them, but couldn't even be assed to assign their own, so I ended up with a guy coming to the throne with a 3 star stewardship education and no other traits. Plus, as a bonus, there aren't any strong claimants to Konugardr who are willing to jump ship to my court at the moment, so I can't even just steal the kingdom that way.

Is there any reliable trick for salvaging this, or am I pretty much stuck throwing a giant pile of money into stabbing the king and praying his oldest unlanded son is willing to accept an invite in the aftermath?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shiny777 posted:

Is there any good way to retrieve underage children from a foreign court? I'd handed my heir a county in my demesne so he wouldn't go running off to the court of the Genius woman I married him to, since she had a temple. He popped out a pair of daughters, I offered the eldest the hand of the Norse culture/religion Sayyid kid I'd groomed for her, he refuses because he wants a better alliance. So okay, I plot revoke his county. He runs off to his wife's court, I blow some pocket change murdering her and invite him back.

And somehow, in the week or so between revoking, stabbing, and getting him back to Akershus his daughters ended up in the court of some dipshit backwater count in Konugardr. No idea why, it's like half a dozen countries away from the place my heir's wife was from, and she was lowborn so it's not some distant relative getting a hold them somehow. Konugardr's outside my realm, they're Norse too so I can't just march in my ~28K retinue to Great Holy War the place into submission, and I've got no claims on Count Childsnatcher's lands, plus the eldest daughter is 5 so I've got a bit of a time limit before the AI sticks my eventual empress with some useless dumbass as a tutor.

And I'm assuming if I ask in a year they're going to just laugh and go "HERP DERP HOSTAGE IN FOREIGN POWER," since that exact same thing happened when one of my older emperors somehow left all his child sons with the Varangian Guard. Not only would they not let me tutor them, but couldn't even be assed to assign their own, so I ended up with a guy coming to the throne with a 3 star stewardship education and no other traits. Plus, as a bonus, there aren't any strong claimants to Konugardr who are willing to jump ship to my court at the moment, so I can't even just steal the kingdom that way.

Is there any reliable trick for salvaging this, or am I pretty much stuck throwing a giant pile of money into stabbing the king and praying his oldest unlanded son is willing to accept an invite in the aftermath?

I don't know about retrieving them, I wasn't able to get them out when it happened to me. They would let a parent, and only a parent, tutor the children. Not a grandparent, not a sibling, parent or GTFO. So as long as your son is in your court and survives to their 16th birthday, you can get them at least that education. Should be enough to keep them from turning to some stupid foreign culture.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Is there a way to change your capital as a merchant republic? I'm playing as Pisa but the duchy of Sicily has far better holdings so I want to know if I can move to Palermo.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I tried to get back into the game after some downtime and wanted to download the latest version of CK2+, but apparently even the continuation project isn't up to date anymore. Is there any mod that offers a similar experience?

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Angela Christine posted:

I don't know about retrieving them, I wasn't able to get them out when it happened to me. They would let a parent, and only a parent, tutor the children. Not a grandparent, not a sibling, parent or GTFO. So as long as your son is in your court and survives to their 16th birthday, you can get them at least that education. Should be enough to keep them from turning to some stupid foreign culture.

Huh, didn't know about that exception. Their dad turned out pretty well, thankfully, so he should do an acceptable job. Situation salvaged, thanks.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mr Snips posted:

Is there a way to change your capital as a merchant republic? I'm playing as Pisa but the duchy of Sicily has far better holdings so I want to know if I can move to Palermo.
As a republic, you can only move your capital to the capital of your primary title capital. So if your primary title is the duchy of Sicily it will be Palermo but if it's the Kindgom of Sicily, it will be Naples.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Mr Snips posted:

You used to be able to do it by usurping the kingdom of sicily, changing your primary title to that and then losing the election and then re-winning it. Not sure if that works anymore.

• Locked thread