Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Red posted:

:smith: Ugh.

A lot of the characters involved are really interesting, and I just don't see the value in killing them off, even if they hit a big reset button at the end. Has anyone ever given a poo poo about Arcade? He's only really useful as a foil for video games.

Arcade and Murderworld are awesome. It's not his fault he's in a lovely story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

srypher posted:

I'm just getting into reading comics again and holy poo poo is Marvel putting out some excellent stuff. All-New Ghost Rider, X-Force, Ms. Marvel - there's an unreal amount of great, ongoing series to read.

If you can, get the trades for Thor: God of Thunder

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

srypher posted:

I'm just getting into reading comics again and holy poo poo is Marvel putting out some excellent stuff. All-New Ghost Rider, X-Force, Ms. Marvel - there's an unreal amount of great, ongoing series to read.

A lot of posters here like to poo poo on everything but we're really in a wonderful spot right now. There's far fewer "bad" comics coming out of Marvel these days than "good." Sure those terms are subjective but the overwhelming opinion is that Marvel loving rocks these days.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

If you can, get the trades for Thor: God of Thunder

Just finished getting caught up on The Bitter March and Elektra, so I'll probably start reading through God of Thunder now. The only question I have is why Marvel has so many drat Avenger's series. Are all of them actually worth reading, or are they just trying to play to the huge success of the film?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

srypher posted:

Just finished getting caught up on The Bitter March and Elektra, so I'll probably start reading through God of Thunder now. The only question I have is why Marvel has so many drat Avenger's series. Are all of them actually worth reading, or are they just trying to play to the huge success of the film?

Avengers and New Avengers are absolutely worth it. The others, ymmv.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

srypher posted:

Avengers and New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman are very much worth reading, they're both excellent and are linked thematically and occasionally story-wise. Some people here like Uncanny Avengers but I dropped it after a couple of arcs because it did nothing for me. I'd steer clear of Avengers World. There are a few other books (Secret Avengers and Avengers Undercover), I don't know what they're like but I think one of them is ok according to people here.

Definitely check out the "flagship" books by Hickman though.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

srypher posted:

The Avengers megathread sums up each series pretty well. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3627761

It's been kind of quiet because the 2 main books slowed down a bit after infinity to explore some nonsense about life and death and the contrasting teams and stuff but the most recent issues have it starting to pick back up with the secrets revealed in Original Sin.

I really disliked the last run of Secret but I hear good things about the current run. They've got a MODOK who's bitter about not being involved in AIM Island.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008
Mighty Avengers is really good if you can look past the Land art.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Chortles posted:

The guy behind Avengers Arena, or so the belief at BSS went (that that's why it happened)?

Well I've heard he then killed Arcade off in Undercover, so I guess that was a load of poo poo. I guess maybe it was meant to somehow appease the people pissed off by Arena? Because that was the one problem everyone had with that story, of course.

Oh, and apparently he's managed to inadvertently insult people with PTSD along the way, so nice one Hopeless.

Angry Walrus
Aug 31, 2013

Quinn it
to
Win it.
He really does have the most fitting last name.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I keep thinking he was involved with Hopeless Savages, but he wasn't, was he?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

StumblyWumbly posted:

I keep thinking he was involved with Hopeless Savages, but he wasn't, was he?

That was Jen Van Meter and Becky Cloonan, off the top of my head.

Rucka's been teasing more Savages for the last year or so.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Yvonmukluk posted:

Well I've heard he then killed Arcade off in Undercover, so I guess that was a load of poo poo. I guess maybe it was meant to somehow appease the people pissed off by Arena? Because that was the one problem everyone had with that story, of course.

Oh, and apparently he's managed to inadvertently insult people with PTSD along the way, so nice one Hopeless.

He's a hack and he wrote the story with the idea people would flock to it so he could drag out the old "Maybe the reader is the bad guy for wanting characters killed off" chestnut. Which feels rather false when your numbers are dropping so fast they are threatening to crack the sound barrier.

His Undercover is essentially him trying to do damage control with a rich vein of bitterness that his big statement fell on flat it's face running through it.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Die Laughing posted:

Arcade and Murderworld are awesome. It's not his fault he's in a lovely story.

I was about to say, "Well, that's fair...", but then I remembered seeing a panel of Arcade lighting a cigar by striking a match on Dr. Doom's armor, and

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Red posted:

I was about to say, "Well, that's fair...", but then I remembered seeing a panel of Arcade lighting a cigar by striking a match on Dr. Doom's armor, and

Someone (I think Byrne) retconned that to a Doombot. Doom sees the bot with a mark on its chest from that and he destroys it.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Warren Ellis wrote a brief run (six one-shot stories) in the pre-Marvel NOW Secret Avengers, conveniently collected into one trade. It's quite good, too.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

muscles like this? posted:

Someone (I think Byrne) retconned that to a Doombot. Doom sees the bot with a mark on its chest from that and he destroys it.

thats so loving lame holy crap

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

jsoh posted:

In real life it was a douche move and Byrne was being a petty dick, but the page itself was badass.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.

Ayup.

From FF 258:

edit well shucks, see above!!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

I guess I should've expected that. Everything ends up being retconned to being a Doombot. Did they ever explain the Doom in tears at 9/11 was a Doombot? :haw:

As far as I know, FF #350 is the king of Doombot retcons:

Later, when facing Ben Grimm:

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

jsoh posted:

I believe it was part of Byrne's campaign to make any appearance of Doom that he did not like to be a Doombot.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

I believe it was part of Byrne's campaign to make any appearance of Doom that he did not like to be a Doombot.

Wonder what his reaction was to Squirrel Girl beating up Dr Doom?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

That, plus a healthy dose of "gently caress you Chris," given that the scene being retconned occurred in Claremont's X-Men.

The parting of the Byrne/Claremont team was... not all that amicable, as I understand it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rirse posted:

I think he only cared while he was writing Fantastic Four.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

I have absolutely no doubt that someone has made the argument that we've never met the real Doom, and that it's always been a Doombot ever since Fantastic Four #5.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Schneider Heim posted:

Warren Ellis wrote a brief run (six one-shot stories) in the pre-Marvel NOW Secret Avengers, conveniently collected into one trade. It's quite good, too.

And Remender's Secret Avengers run is pretty good as well. Has some great moments with Pym, Hawkeye, and Flash in it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Red posted:

FF #350
Later, when facing Ben Grimm:

I know guns in comic books are always a bit special. But that gun is extra short bus. His hand appears to be going through the whole thing!

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

SirDan3k posted:

He's a hack and he wrote the story with the idea people would flock to it so he could drag out the old "Maybe the reader is the bad guy for wanting characters killed off" chestnut. Which feels rather false when your numbers are dropping so fast they are threatening to crack the sound barrier.

His Undercover is essentially him trying to do damage control with a rich vein of bitterness that his big statement fell on flat it's face running through it.

I thought he originally just wanted to write a Braddock Academy series and editorial told him to make it Hunger Games? It's probably not entirely his fault.

Rirse posted:

I think the genesis of Squirrel Girl's 'beat everyone' powers was because her defeat of Doom was one of the few cases that was never retconned as a Doombot.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Metal Loaf posted:

I have absolutely no doubt that someone has made the argument that we've never met the real Doom, and that it's always been a Doombot ever since Fantastic Four #5.

Whereas my personal philosophy is that it's never been a Doombot. Doom just keeps them around to blame his defeats on.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

IUG posted:

I know guns in comic books are always a bit special. But that gun is extra short bus. His hand appears to be going through the whole thing!

Fool! Do not question Doom's design in firearms! Leave such weak weapons as Desert Eagles to the peasants! :doom:

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

I always loved how Doom was often drawn holding a Luger.

Because this is the ultimate techno-wizard. He's got magic out the wazu, he's got force fields that can stun Spider-Man, hand beams that can blow apart Sentinels, finger beams that can take down the Thing. But should all that fail, the dude is still packing heat. And not just any heat, Vintage World War 2 officer type heat.

Plus, you never know. That Luger he's holding could be Megatron JUST waiting for the chance to make the most badass crossover appearance ever.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
So over the weekend I got the first Young Avengers trade. Why didn't I pick this up earlier? Kid Loki is amazing.

Though its weird seeing Kate outside of Hawkeye.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

The Question IRL posted:

I always loved how Doom was often drawn holding a Luger.

Because this is the ultimate techno-wizard. He's got magic out the wazu, he's got force fields that can stun Spider-Man, hand beams that can blow apart Sentinels, finger beams that can take down the Thing. But should all that fail, the dude is still packing heat. And not just any heat, Vintage World War 2 officer type heat.

How else would you know he was a villain, unless he was holding a gun that's strongly identified with the German military?

d00gZ
Oct 12, 2002

Original Sin Murderer
Wild Guess #627
Edward Snowden

"My sole motive is to inform the public as to that which is done in their name and that which is done against them."
Maybe it's the gun Hitler shot himself with. Must have all kind of arcane power. Didn't Doctor Strange use that in the BKV Oath miniseries with Marcos Martin? That comic was THE poo poo.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Someone used it to shoot Strange, I think. The residual evil got past his defenses.

cammy14
Apr 5, 2011
I 'm also just getting back into reading comics and recently picked up Hawkeye and Ms Marvel. I remembered liking the Fraction/Aja team on Iron Fist back when and they did not disappoint me this time either. But the best surprise for me was Annie Wu's issues, holy poo poo she's just as good as Aja and I love her expressions so much how has I not heard of her before I want to read more comics drawn by this lady.

Ms Marvel is also a real joy, I didn't care much for Alphona's art in Runaways but the more cartoony style here really works.

I want to pick up the new Young Avengers and Secret Avengers purely for more Clint and Kate, are they more or less self-contained or do I have to deal with crossover events happening?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

cammy14 posted:

I 'm also just getting back into reading comics and recently picked up Hawkeye and Ms Marvel. I remembered liking the Fraction/Aja team on Iron Fist back when and they did not disappoint me this time either. But the best surprise for me was Annie Wu's issues, holy poo poo she's just as good as Aja and I love her expressions so much how has I not heard of her before I want to read more comics drawn by this lady.

Ms Marvel is also a real joy, I didn't care much for Alphona's art in Runaways but the more cartoony style here really works.

I want to pick up the new Young Avengers and Secret Avengers purely for more Clint and Kate, are they more or less self-contained or do I have to deal with crossover events happening?
Young and Secret avengers are self countained. Young Avengers was brilliant in some places and annoying in others, it was definitely wrote for Tumblr. Kate doesn't act as sarcastic as she does in Hawkeye though.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

d00gZ posted:

Maybe it's the gun Hitler shot himself with. Must have all kind of arcane power. Didn't Doctor Strange use that in the BKV Oath miniseries with Marcos Martin? That comic was THE poo poo.

Didn't the Human Torch (not Johnny) kill Hitler?

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Didn't the Human Torch (not Johnny) kill Hitler?

cable and deadpool and nick fury killed hitler, in the 50s

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bucky also claimed to have killed Hitler.

• Locked thread