Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

What would a democracy movement in China even look like? "Hi so like six of us on the Politburo Standing Committee think it's time for real democratic reform but oops looks like I've just been shot by the PLA ok bye!" The military is like the biggest beneficiary of the current corrupt system. Isn't it still like more than half of all state-owned industries?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Kind of like this. But with more iPhones.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Arakan posted:

I mean HK is not very big. Imagine how many street making GBS threads stories we would have to read if mainlanders were free to travel there whenever they wanted.

This but unironically

Woodsy Owl
Oct 27, 2004
More like PLOLA, am I right?

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Jeoh posted:

Seeing pictures like this makes me feel this really proud rush of excitement, and then it turns into a crushing sink my my chest and I get really sad thinking about it

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Mainlanders from other cities are mostly free to enter Hong Kong as they please (read: can afford to). The only thing is if they're not from the 'individual visit scheme' cities, they have to go to Shenzhen first and join a "tour" and then go across. If it isn't obvious from the scarequotes, the "tour" doesn't exist and you're actually traveling on your own.

I guess there'd be more visitors to Hong Kong if they could fly in directly and didn't have to go to Shenzhen first, but I doubt it would be a really massive increase.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Shenzhen: The waiting room of Hong Kong

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

systran posted:

Seeing pictures like this makes me feel this really proud rush of excitement, and then it turns into a crushing sink my my chest and I get really sad thinking about it

Still too early, come back in a week and a half. :qq:

This year I'm going to be taking pictures.

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

caberham posted:

This is from MAINLAND MY GIRLFRIEND :fuckoff: And have you been to the West Lake? It's really beautiful :downsrim:

I was doing that irony thing, of course. But let's be honest, imperialism was great and beautiful and England should rise again and retake Hong Kong. :allears:

systran posted:

Yeah, I feel the same way when I see pictures of or read anything about June 4th. Tiananmen Square: China's Battle of Serenity Valley? :qqsay:

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

ally_1986 posted:

I'm in Shenzhen. Pretty sure someone asked me ages ago, so sorry for not responding to that person. Where you staying and what ya doing here?

Sorry for the late reply. Was a bit hectic settling in. I live at 皇崗/houng gaun (sp?) area. Working at a trading company selling paper (yeah...)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Hong Kong is an integral part of China. That is why Chinese people aren't allowed to travel to it.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Jeoh posted:

The thing that gets me is how young and terrified he looks.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

pedro0930 posted:

Sorry for the late reply. Was a bit hectic settling in. I live at 皇崗/houng gaun (sp?) area. Working at a trading company selling paper (yeah...)

Yo I couldn't pm you, are you up for mega goon meet bbq? You can just take the huang gang bus to hong kong sheung wan district

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
I only have a USB or phone to bring music to a BBQ I don't know if it's ok.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Grand Fromage posted:

Hong Kong is an integral part of China. That is why Chinese people aren't allowed to travel to it.

Works for Tibet.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

caberham posted:

Yo I couldn't pm you, are you up for mega goon meet bbq? You can just take the huang gang bus to hong kong sheung wan district

Sorry, got a bunch of stuff to take care of first, including getting poo poo face drunk everyday with my boss (I am really bad at this drinking business..)

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

Grand Fromage posted:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

pedro0930 posted:

Sorry, got a bunch of stuff to take care of first, including getting poo poo face drunk everyday with my boss (I am really bad at this drinking business..)

Just be grateful you ain't in Japan man.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

goldboilermark posted:

Just be grateful you ain't in Japan man.

Is Japan worse than Korea?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
From the sounds of it? When I was in Tokyo in 2012 I went to visit my friend Eiko who works for a bank there and she said five nights a week, sometimes six, she and her workmates go drinking after work. I asked her if that was normal and she said it was pretty common. She had to get special permission to spend the night out with me from her boss, which seemed crazy to me. Go out in Tokyo on any night and there seemed to be an abundance of businessmen drinking together.

When I was in South Korea I was only there for five days and I was in the countryside so I can't really comment on that, maybe another goon can chime in.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Stop being morons about east asia and stop getting trolled by meram jert geeze.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I honestly didn't know because my Korean experience didn't involve much drinking around businessmen :shrug:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

goldboilermark posted:

I honestly didn't know because my Korean experience didn't involve much drinking around businessmen :shrug:

You are like the Karl pinkerton of the China thread.:glomp:

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
:yayclod:

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

caberham posted:

You are like the Karl pinkerton of the China thread.:glomp:

It's true. He's a ruthless strike-breaking thug who has come to China to brutally suppress any attempts at unionization.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
Going to Beijin for a conference on Wednesday. I'll have a little free time (approx. 1.5 days), and I'd love some suggestions about:
- Places to eat (anything from street food to fine dining)
- Museums and similar places
- Places to buy tea and related items
- Places to buy stupid little trinkets
I doubt I'll have time to get much outside the city. I'm traveling alone and I don't speak a lick of Mandarin.

SB35
Jul 6, 2007
Move along folks, nothing to see here.

Oakland Martini posted:

Going to Beijin for a conference on Wednesday. I'll have a little free time (approx. 1.5 days), and I'd love some suggestions about :
I doubt I'll have time to get much outside the city. I'm traveling alone and I don't speak a lick of Mandarin.

Where are you staying or where is the conference? It'll be easier to suggest things that are a bit closer to you :)

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

Oakland Martini posted:

Going to Beijin for a conference on Wednesday. I'll have a little free time (approx. 1.5 days), and I'd love some suggestions about :

If you can get wechat and join the goon group. We can help you translate things on the fly and give you recommendations.

Go for a duck place - some Beijing goons are duck snobs but I find Quan Ju De to be decent.

EAT HERE - https://plus.google.com/113841438517190535698/about?gl=hk&hl=en

Amazing dumplings.

That's about it

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
UPDATE Saturday GoonBQ!

Cross posting from the LAN thread.

Ok, enough silly snarky posting for now. Going to start a GoonBq. Right now on my sign up sheet. I probably ought to make a google doc signup sheet.

:siren::pcgaming: May 31st, Hong Kong BBQ (Goon B Q - GBQ) MEGA MEET :pcgaming::siren:

MANDATORY Entry fee for food and drinks: 11RMB an hour

location - Sheung Wan, 1pm 85 Bonham Strand West :henget: https://goo.gl/maps/CJfg5

Goons and everyone welcome (We are not responsible if your significant other/friends is horrified of us.)

Goooooooon list - I Need to a rough head count to prepare food. I'm going to the butcher next week and will cut some steaks

Those who can come

1. Lurker Host - eats alot
  2. Lurker Milf Killer - doesn't eat much
  3. Blinky Zero - eats a truckload of American food
  4. Fear Cotton - doesn't eat much
  5. Magna Kaiser - doesn't eat much He lifts hardcore and can eat a lot.
  6. Bloodnose - Can eat
  7. Caberham - black hole stomach, can eat again once drunk
  8. Wonton - starting to eat a lot :getin:
  9. Lady Galaga - doesn't eat much
  10. Simple Fish - eats alot
  11. and his waifu - doesn't eat much
  12. Synertia - doesn't eat much
  13. Ice Aim? - can eat
  14. Rental Sting? - eats alot
  15. BeefEater? - Super rare guest, he's a busy responsible man.

Maybe they can come?

16. Meram Jert? - work making him stay
  17. Ally 1986? - no data
  18. And other HK lurker goons.

15 Yes, 2 tentative = 17 max +/- 3 people. 10 really hungry people. Let's say 12.

That's A LOT OF PREP WORK. Man maybe even crazier than Korean goons giving.

I love lists - please help.
  1. MEAT AND MAINS AND MORE MEAT

• Weiss wurst - 10. Yes I will try to pick veal, if not we will use pork. Sorry token :jewish:
    • Chicken souvlaki skewers - 30

2. SIDES AND VEG
    • Bag of greens - Only 3 people will eat this.
    • Grilled button mushrooms

3. WHERE ARE MY CHEETOS AND SNACKS :goonsay:
    • Peanut Butter Cups
    • Ruffles Regular and ranch dipping sauce
    • Cheetos

4. BEVERAGES
    • Mountain Dew - caberham
    • Coke Zero - Bloodnose
    • Cream Soda - Caberham
    • Apple Cider - caberham
    • Growlers Full of Craft Beer - Caberham
    • Fullers - Synertia
    • Blue Star white beers - ???
    • Some IPA - ???
    • Fruit Beers - Wonton
    • More hard liquor - Milf Hunter, but he flaked out.
    • Maybe a bottle of Shanghai White Vodka if I'm lucky (dammit no Beijing goons this time)

5. MUSIC - Someone needs to bring a ghetto blaster of some sort.
    • Dub Step
    • Communist Stuff
    • Daft Punk
    • I don't care.

Oh yeah, there will be cake. Yummy yummy cake.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Wait, does that mean bloodnose is bringing Coke zero? I thought you told me to get it in wechat?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
arrgh, yeah I need to sort things out with each person. talk to you tonight

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.

SB35 posted:

Where are you staying or where is the conference? It'll be easier to suggest things that are a bit closer to you :)

Conference is at Tsinghua university, staying at wenjin hotel near there.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe

simplefish posted:

Wait, does that mean bloodnose is bringing Coke zero? I thought you told me to get it in wechat?

No it means it's for Bloodnose. Thanks for bringing it, buddy.

Aero737
Apr 30, 2006

Oakland Martini posted:

Both Qinghua and Peking University have very beautiful campuses that are tourist destinations in their own right.

You're in the far north western part of the city, I would recommend The Summer Palace (颐和园) as the best sight in that part of the city. Stick to the northern part (by the Beigongmen 北宫门 Enterance) for the most to see for your time.

As for food, you have to try Beijing duck. This place is the real deal (old Chinese style building) in the middle of all the skyscrapers in ZhongGuanCun (China's sillicon valley).

http://www.dianping.com/shop/2401177

Sorry the link is only in Chinese. Its called 羲和雅苑烤鸭坊 (Xi he Ya Yuan Roast Duck). I've seen it featured on some TV shows, and it really is good.

If you're in ZhongGuanCun, you can always take a look at the electronics markets that are around there. You won't really find any deals, unless you're looking for a Xiaomi or Oppo, but it's fun just to see an endless sea of electronics vendors. It's a true nerd market.

Oh, looking at your hotel, you're right in WuDaoKou, which is the student hangout area of Beijing. There are some bars around there and some nightlife if you're into that thing. There will be street food, but only in the morning (egg pancake) or late at night (meat kebobs, malatang, and such). Beijing has cleaned up most of it's street food, but if you walk up and down that street you'll see some stalls that sell popcorn chicken, sausages, and other things throughout the day.

As for museums, don't know what you're interested in. Beijing has a museum for everything (literally, everything) but most are on the other side of the city and not worth traveling to.

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..
Guestbob, or any other Henanwrecked goons, is there an expat website for Zhengzhou or Henan? How on earth do I advertise my awesome pedagogical skills or buy e-bikes on the cheap from those fortunate enough to possess the means to hastily flee Henan?

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Almond Crunch posted:

Guestbob, or any other Henanwrecked goons, is there an expat website for Zhengzhou or Henan? How on earth do I advertise my awesome pedagogical skills or buy e-bikes on the cheap from those fortunate enough to possess the means to hastily flee Henan?

eChinacities has a Zhengzhou page, but there are more Henan goons here than regular readers of that. It's okay for jobs I suppose.

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..
So uh, any Zhengzhou goons wanna sell me a bike/e-bike or at least tell me about a bike shop where I can buy a pump/maybe some inner tubes to fix the bike I'll be driven to snag from the junkyard nearby?

blinkyzero
Oct 15, 2012

Oakland Martini posted:

We used to live right down the street from the Wenjin. Aero737 gave you good advice -- definitely walk around Tsinghua's campus, parts of it are really beautiful though if it's hot the canals will smell extra special horrrrrrrrrrrrrrrible, have fun with that. BeiDa too. The Tsinghua guards might give you a hassle if you try to walk in via the nearby West Gate (it's a common tour entrance and I used to see them turn people away all the time who didn't have teacher/student credentials, though you'll have something from the conference I'm sure), but no one will give you any trouble at all if you come in through the East Gate down by the law and economics buildings. This entrance is also right around the corner from Wudaokou and the Tsinghua University Science Park, where the Google building is.

fearcotton and I know Tsinghua's campus really well so feel free to PM me if needed.

Awww now I feel nostalgic for Beijing. :unsmith:

GuestBob
Nov 27, 2005

Almond Crunch posted:

So uh, any Zhengzhou goons wanna sell me a bike/e-bike or at least tell me about a bike shop where I can buy a pump/maybe some inner tubes to fix the bike I'll be driven to snag from the junkyard nearby?

Arakan is/was a poor student in Zhengzhou so he should be able to tell you some possible places to buy ebikes second hand. Most bike shops will have second hand ones on sale as well.

To be honest though, you really don't want to buy and ride an ebike in Zhengzhou because everyone rides on the pavement all the loving time and it is just awful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Almond Crunch
Oct 29, 2005
God-damn tasty..

GuestBob posted:

To be honest though, you really don't want to buy and ride an ebike in Zhengzhou because everyone rides on the pavement all the loving time and it is just awful.

There are places in China where this doesn't happen?! I figured it was a natural chinese darwinism, with cars taking over the bike lane and bikes taking over the sidewalk.

Edit: snagged a bike with non-working brakes from the junkyard today and cleaned her up. it's not as dangerous as it reads, the bike makes a pretty horrific shriek when i pedal that i can use to alert pedestrians within 50m of me of my presence. plus it has a basket

Almond Crunch fucked around with this message at 07:42 on May 28, 2014