Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

the_steve posted:

Also, bloody hell, it's taking forever for me to marry Dolce. Been dating her since I beat the mansion, gone to just about every date location, and I'm pretty sure I've done the requisite events, it just won't happen.

I think you need to have the double bed and engagement ring ready in order for her marriage event (The Language of Flowers or something) to trigger. If you've already got that one, then just give her the ring at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
For crop supplements in rf4, can you just dump them on the ground and have that patch keep the effect permanently? I know defense depletes when it gets hit by typhoons, but do the other enhanced stats decay over time? If not, it would only take about 320k to max out the growth rate of an entire field.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 09:12 on May 27, 2014

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Serious Frolicking posted:

For crop supplements in rf4, can you just dump them on the ground and have that patch keep the effect permanently? I know defense depletes when it gets hit by typhoons, but do the other enhanced stats decay over time? If not, it would only take about 320k to max out the growth rate of an entire field.

They do decay over time. Also keep in mind that if you dump more than one crop supplement a day, it reduces the HP of that field. You can always restore it with dried grass, corn, or clovers, but it's better to not get to that point in the first place. It's also why Formula C isn't a bad deal.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

Am I better off growing gold veggies or crystals for money? I bought Meg the violin, and next up I wanna buy the house.

Also, is recipe bread + the only way to get the recipes for the best weapons or can regular weapon bread suffice?

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

Trebuchet King posted:

Also, is recipe bread + the only way to get the recipes for the best weapons or can regular weapon bread suffice?

You'll need +breads to get the very best of everything. Eventually you'll be able to throw on a rosary and farm the first level of Sharance for them pretty quickly, so don't worry about it too much.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I can almost do that but the G Golem does enough of a number on me to make Terrable on the "aargh!" side of things.

Seriously, gently caress that golem.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Take a lot of high level food for healing. Also a neat trick is to use wet boots in Sharance because you get hella crit chance from it, which increases your damage considerably even if it kills your defense.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Strange Quark posted:

Does anyone use long swords? They seem like inferior axes since they're basically slow weapons that don't do as much damage.

I'm using a long sword right now because it has ridiculous range. Add in a couple of raccoon feathers to increase the range even more and I can hit everything on the same side of the screen usually.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

SC Bracer posted:

I think you need to have the double bed and engagement ring ready in order for her marriage event (The Language of Flowers or something) to trigger. If you've already got that one, then just give her the ring at some point.

I've had the double bed and an engagement ring forever. Every time I try to give her the ring, she says there's a time and a place for that.
The only other thing I can possibly think of is that it's not triggering because I'm in the postgame and Ventuswill is still gone.
I might need to play though until that's no longer the case, but the game doesn't feel like tossing that event my way either.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
I'm a little confused about the purpose of harvesting seeds with a scythe. I know the level goes up each time, but it seems like I'd make more money making 10 batches of level 1 turnips than I would making 1 batch of level 10.

After completing the quest to ship a level 5 turnip, I did notice that the shop is now selling level 5 seeds. Was this a quest reward or does seed level conform to the highest level crop you ship?

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

I'm a little confused about the purpose of harvesting seeds with a scythe. I know the level goes up each time, but it seems like I'd make more money making 10 batches of level 1 turnips than I would making 1 batch of level 10.

After completing the quest to ship a level 5 turnip, I did notice that the shop is now selling level 5 seeds. Was this a quest reward or does seed level conform to the highest level crop you ship?

The seeds in shops do conform to crop levels. It's better to get high level crops because you'll need level 10 ones for a mailbox request; it also helps in terms of winning crop festivals and cooking food. The higher level the food is, the higher a price you can sell it for.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Yeah, highest seed/crop you ship is what seeds you can buy. Pretty sure one of the requests was supposed to teach that, actually.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Trebuchet King posted:

Am I better off growing gold veggies or crystals for money? I bought Meg the violin, and next up I wanna buy the house.

Neither, honestly. I'm pretty sure the best way is giant level 10 crops. Currently I'm using pink melons, but there may be a better crop out there. The main reason they're so effective is that if you can keep your growth rate high enough, you'll get harvests every day regardless of season.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.

Nondevor posted:

The seeds in shops do conform to crop levels. It's better to get high level crops because you'll need level 10 ones for a mailbox request; it also helps in terms of winning crop festivals and cooking food. The higher level the food is, the higher a price you can sell it for.

Well then! I guess I'll start leveling up my seeds.

I'm kind of dreading doing this for the super slow ones like red crystal but oh well!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Neither, honestly. I'm pretty sure the best way is giant level 10 crops. Currently I'm using pink melons, but there may be a better crop out there. The main reason they're so effective is that if you can keep your growth rate high enough, you'll get harvests every day regardless of season.

How do you get a high growth rate without killing your soil?

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Trebuchet King posted:

I've made the vast majority of my money from cooking. Some recipes won't bring in a profit, but others will bring in several times the amount of the raw ingredients. For example the ingredients in Gold Juice go for around 100,000 G depending on level, but the juice sells for 800,000 if you ship it and more than that if you sell it in your shop. Festival days are perfect to sell things- most of the girls will be in the town square in the morning and the guys will be there in the afternoon. Generally recipes with more ingredients or multiple steps like curry bread are going to get you more money and things with with one or two ingredients will be at a loss.

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

Well then! I guess I'll start leveling up my seeds.

I'm kind of dreading doing this for the super slow ones like red crystal but oh well!

Formulas A B and C stack up to a 5x growth rate. It still sucks compared to other crops. Farming the big crystal flowers are incredibly worth it once you can make brooches- there's a base 80% resistance to elements and the big crystals give a 20% resistance which stacks a little (I think it's 10% after the first one and goes down from there). The Four Seasons headgear starts at a 7% resistance to wind, water, earth, and fire so even with just those two things you can get some pretty good healing every time you get hit by certain spells.

gmq posted:

Grow things. Crops with multiple harvests work really well for this.

Also putting wood/stone bins in dungeon fields was the best thing to ever happen to me.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Posted in the 3DS thread, but it's worth posting here, too:

The latest Harvest Moon game (Connect To The New World or whatever the subtitle translates to, I forget) will be published in North America by XSEED, but because the "Harvest Moon" brand is owned by Natsume USA, XSEED and Marvelous AQL are rebranding the game and the series as "Story of Seasons". Same developer, same games, different name, different publisher.

I Watson
Feb 25, 2011

Good-night, sweet prince;
And flights of angels sing thee to thy rest.
I was wondering why Natsume had only been releasing iOS game details for another series, and this news comes out. Xseed is Marvelous' NA hand again so it is not a complete surprise; it will be interesting to see where things go from here.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

gmq posted:

Add one soil boosting item per day. Anything beyond that kills your soil. Alternately, go ahead and kill your soil, then plow dried grass, corn, or clover into the soil to replenish its HP.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I'm looking forward to it. XSEED's localizations are miles ahead of what Natsume puts out, so hopefully they'll be able to inject a lot of charm into the dialogue that mainline Harvest Moon games sorely need.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
It's worth noting that Natsume still owns the Harvest Moon name and will probably continue to release games under that name, but whether they'll be any good (or be given the time to become good) is anyone's guess.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Just tell me when the new good games hit and I'll be fine. I need my HM fix yesterday.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Is there a release date for the new Harvest Moon game? I'm even more eager to get it now that XSEED is doing the localization.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Hopefully that doesn't cause it to take forever to be released. Its usually been ages between Japan getting the RF games and the west getting the translated versions.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Story of Seasons will be out "winter 2014", according to XSEED.

The Natsume Harvest Moon game that showed up on retailer listings a while back was dated for early October, guess we'll learn about that one at E3.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
Neat. So February probably, since gently caress-all gets released between November and then usually.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
That variable-width font... :swoon: This is honestly probably one of the best things I think could happen to Harvest Moon.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I will keep the cooking stuff in mind--a semi-related question, though: the bronze/silver/gold crowns next to different items in my shipping list, are they meaningful in any way? Like, does having more increase tourism or anything?

And speaking of gold/silver/bronze, are the fish trophies determined by size caught or number caught?

And seriously, dudes/dudettes--thanks for all the answers y'all have hooked me up with!

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
I think those crowns have something to do with how much profit you've made off of that item. I forget for sure, but they're nothing worth worrying about. And those trophies, I assume you mean the ones in your basement right? I believe those are a function of record size. Each fish has it's own benchmarks for trophies.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Blhue posted:

I think those crowns have something to do with how much profit you've made off of that item. I forget for sure, but they're nothing worth worrying about. And those trophies, I assume you mean the ones in your basement right? I believe those are a function of record size. Each fish has it's own benchmarks for trophies.

I think it's how many you've shipped. I have a gold crown for weeds and no crowns for a lot of more profitable items.

The more I play this game the more surprised I am at how huge it is and how there are a lot of mechanics that don't get explained in guides. Triggering marriage events and the third arc suck balls though.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

You're telling me--I finally got Meg's 4th required event, and after looking at a list of all the events there were literally only three events I hadn't seen, including it, and I saw one of the other two while waiting for the marriage event. One step closer to white stone goodness!

I ended up getting a twin justice from winning the buddy battle so I took those and some pineapple juice and cleared out the first two sharance mazes. Been farming the 2nd one twice a day just because it doesn't have the golem. No weapon bread + yet but I've got a dope-as-hell rune shield now. My one weakness is the status with the birds around my dude's head; is that diz or stn? Trying to sort out what I need to be upgrading stuff with.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
I ended up using this SPOILER FILLED guide/cheat after a year in game to get the third arc. It would have been at least another year if I hadn't. You don't really need to look at it until after the second arc, so don't.

The gist of it is that there are certain days that are set as town event days. These can be any day, including festival days, so don't bother canceling your festivals. I haven't gotten any the day before the festival but I think that's coincidence. The events are triggered by talking to the right person for that particular event or walking into the right area. If you save the night before you can reset and get a different event. There's more to it than that and she chooses the strategy of talking to people and then going back to sleep without saving until she hits a day, marks it down and then goes to it normally. I've been hitting events frequently enough that I don't need to do that and I already have the important ones anyway.

Reive
May 21, 2009

I need to get back into these, but I don't know what to choose.
I have quite a few options of what to play: RF4, Tale of Two Towns, A New Beginning, Hometown Story, or wait for that new Story of Seasons game.

Things I want:
An actual farm and house that I can upgrade, not designated planting areas like Tides.
A decent courting/marriage system, I dunno if we've gone beyond just talking to a person everyday and giving them gifts ad nauseam, but anything to spice it up a bit would be nice, especially if it ties into events.
A sense of progress, weather it be in getting upgrades to tools or the farm, obtaining new animals, or story events that unfold new things to do.
Side activities or mini games, or other things to do to break up monotony.

Thing I don't want:
Any sort of system that I have to micromanage in order to keep things going smoothly (ie Runeys)

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
RF4 has pretty much everything you want.

LeafyGreens
May 9, 2009

the elegant cephalopod

Reive posted:

I need to get back into these, but I don't know what to choose.
I have quite a few options of what to play: RF4, Tale of Two Towns, A New Beginning, Hometown Story, or wait for that new Story of Seasons game.

Things I want:
An actual farm and house that I can upgrade, not designated planting areas like Tides.
A decent courting/marriage system, I dunno if we've gone beyond just talking to a person everyday and giving them gifts ad nauseam, but anything to spice it up a bit would be nice, especially if it ties into events.
A sense of progress, weather it be in getting upgrades to tools or the farm, obtaining new animals, or story events that unfold new things to do.

Thing I don't want:
Any sort of system that I have to micromanage in order to keep things going smoothly (ie Runeys)

You probably want RF4 then, the bachelors/ettes are mostly interesting and you can take them adventuring and there's plenty of different lines of conversation and events to keep things going, you can place stuff around your farm and house wherever you want (though the system has no snap to grid option which is sooo annoying) and it has a fairly long story with the adventuring aspect which is pretty good. I've played TotT and A New Beginning and they were good but largely dull, never played Hometown Story.

I guess if you prefer a more pure Harvest Moon experience I'd say play ANB, otherwise go RF4!

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Octolady posted:

You probably want RF4 then, the bachelors/ettes are mostly interesting and you can take them adventuring and there's plenty of different lines of conversation and events to keep things going, you can place stuff around your farm and house wherever you want (though the system has no snap to grid option which is sooo annoying) and it has a fairly long story with the adventuring aspect which is pretty good. I've played TotT and A New Beginning and they were good but largely dull, never played Hometown Story.

I guess if you prefer a more pure Harvest Moon experience I'd say play ANB, otherwise go RF4!

This, basically. ANB has a very customizable and upgradeable farm, but it starts really slow and the villagers are kinda bland, as HM villagers tend to be. RF4 is a pretty big improvement over its predecessors, and has few flaws (gently caress you too, event system).

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Besides the event system I think my only problem with RF4 is that the bachelorettes (and probably the bachelors) are boring compared to the anime insanity that were the ones in RF3.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
Does leveling up the dungeon seeds actually produce better loot? That's the main reason I use it, so if it doesn't, I guess there isn't any other benefits other than stronger monsters, right?

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

I'm not sure of this (trying to figure out with a bit more certainty myself) but it seems like higher-level dungeon flowers start with more HP and thus yield more material stone if you hammer the poo poo out of them. I don't even leave any fields unplowed anymore, I just grow dungeon flowers and twinkle trees for my stone/lumber needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Tired Moritz posted:

Does leveling up the dungeon seeds actually produce better loot? That's the main reason I use it, so if it doesn't, I guess there isn't any other benefits other than stronger monsters, right?

They do produce stronger monsters/loot, but iirc, the cap is about level 100 for those. Not really worth it, I think. You generally would be able to access the endgame dungeons with stronger stuff by that time.

• Locked thread