Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Palpek posted:

What was the distraction?

The exact dialogue slips my mind but basically it goes

You: "Hey! Do you have an animal suit?"
Guard: "Yeah, I'm a rabbit"
You: "Cool, I know some wolves. They can be rather rough though."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

Junkenstein posted:

Can you switch between controller and KB/M on the fly?

Yeah, and the game is pretty good about instantly changing the control input on your screen in tutorials, gameplay tips and such. If you're told to press X (conroller) to do something, and you move the mouse, it'll immediately say press Q or whatever the keyboard shortcut is.

Malseth
Aug 18, 2008
Fun Shoe

TheSpiritFox posted:

Yeah I'm halfway between this and the irritation.

It's not worth 60 bucks. It's bad mechanics in a mediocre world interspersed with poo poo that makes me crack up laughing. The writing is absolutely terrible. I mean, seriously loving terrible. I just hacked into someone's apartment to watch the absolutely predictable "I love you!" "Oh you're like a brother to me I could never ruin what we have" "Oh yeah that's what I meant" dialogue that's a complete vomit of cliche'.

Really, that's the best single line description I can come up with. It's a vomit of gimmick and cliche. And yet I just listened to a conversation between two guys talking about how one of them had to pee during sex and he couldn't cum and he didn't know what to do about it and had to make an awkward exit to take the longest piss of his life and I actually just stopped and listened because it seems so oddly specific that I wonder which member of the design team had that happen to him.

I know that it has to be a real story because the rest of the writing is so unoriginal that it has to be cribbed from someone's real life.

Also the Ant Tank is awesome.

Have any guards talked about cock rings yet?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
So if you hate all of the Assassin Creed games you should pass on this game (even though I really like Far Cry 3 and GTA 5)?

Bigsteve posted:

Reviews are in: Eurogamer 7/10, Giantbomb 3/5

Not good.

Jeff reviewed it for Giantbomb which means I really don't care what Gaintbomb gave it (I find him wrong a lot more than others). That said it looks like it is getting average to above average overall. Of course who knows with how hosed up game review scoring has become, or how gamers think a 7 to 8 means a game sucks balls.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

nate fisher posted:

So if you hate all of the Assassin Creed games you should pass on this game (even though I really like Far Cry 3 and GTA 5)?

Jeff reviewed it for Giantbomb which means I really don't care what Gaintbomb gave it (I find him wrong a lot more than others). That said it looks like it is getting to average to above average overall. Of course who knows with how hosed up game review scoring has become, or how gamers think a 7 to 8 means a game sucks balls.

It honestly feels closer to GTA than to AC. That's just my opinion, though.

catpowerd
Jan 9, 2008

swinging your guitar around
Cause they wanted to hear that meow
Man, finishing GTA5 and then moving on to this two days later is doing this game no favors.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup

nate fisher posted:

Jeff reviewed it for Giantbomb which means I really don't care what Gaintbomb gave it (I find him wrong a lot more than others). That said it looks like it is getting average to above average overall. Of course who knows with how hosed up game review scoring has become, or how gamers think a 7 to 8 means a game sucks balls.

This game is not like assassins creed at all really.

It's like GTA/sleeping dogs but you're autistic Batman.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
Take a shot any time a goon says some variation on "It's good but not worth 60bux"

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

7/10 is kind of what I guessed it would get after playing it for a couple of hours. It's good, it just doesn't do anything revolutionary.

*sips his shot*

:haw:

quote:

Are physics in this game really so bad that you can't dick around like you would in other open world games because you just drop through the map?

http://a.pomf.se/epwhqo.webm

http://a.pomf.se/cawqpj.webm

:stare:

Somebody is taking the piss in the physics department.

The train just instantly stopping is flat out...what?

Communist Bear fucked around with this message at 13:19 on May 27, 2014

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

So looking like a solid Christmas sale purchase then? (Honestly good for me, don't have the time or money right now.)

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

hopterque posted:

It's like GTA/sleeping dogs but you're autistic Batman.
When my mates ask me about this game, this is what I'm going to tell them :colbert:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
Game crashes weirdly for me. About 30 seconds after I drive my first car I crash to desktop. When I verify the cache it says there are corrupted files and it repairs those, but when I check again it still says files are corrupted. :shrug:

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Randler posted:

Game crashes weirdly for me. About 30 seconds after I drive my first car I crash to desktop. When I verify the cache it says there are corrupted files and it repairs those, but when I check again it still says files are corrupted. :shrug:

Usually this is just Steam reading the configuration files being different than the defaults (which of course happens after you change settings), and then assuming they've been corrupted.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

catpowerd posted:

Man, finishing GTA5 and then moving on to this two days later is doing this game no favors.

Haha, same. By complete chance, I picked up GTA 5 again and played it quite a bit last week, and that probably made the transition that much more painful.

Tracula posted:

Take a shot any time a goon says some variation on "It's good but not worth 60bux"

It's true, though. And this game really isn't worth getting alcohol poisoning over.

e; Good is being a bit too generous. Decent is a lot more accurate.

Bohemian Nights fucked around with this message at 14:00 on May 27, 2014

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

WMain00 posted:

:stare:

Somebody is taking the piss in the physics department.

The train just instantly stopping is flat out...what?

In the future, trains will stop on a dime to the command of motorbikes and cellphones! But trains will only care if you're in front of them.

Anyone walking into a moving train from the side, however, is still hosed.

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Sunk two hours into the game and am really enjoying it so far, but I have one thing I want to be sure about. The game does full autosaves a la Assassin's Creed and Far Cry frequently, right? I don't have to worry about manually saving by sleeping at a hideout every time I'm done, do I?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Behonkiss posted:

Sunk two hours into the game and am really enjoying it so far, but I have one thing I want to be sure about. The game does full autosaves a la Assassin's Creed and Far Cry frequently, right? I don't have to worry about manually saving by sleeping at a hideout every time I'm done, do I?

Correct.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I hope the game doesn't have the bug that wipes your saves for no reason like both AC4 nad Blacklist had :cool:

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
It does take a while for you to use these distractions effectively, but at the same time it's a bit ridiculous that you can storm a place and hack the server from a block away by jumping from camera to camera, including some kind of head mounted camera that walks around hack their server, blow up a few dudes in the process and zip back to your view without ever being detected. Perhaps later missions get to be a little harder, but I do enjoy regardless of the ridiculous factor, utilizing the UbiTraps to stealth in somewhere and stealth out, avoiding detections and completing a mission quickly. That said the driving is giving me GTA IV nightmares, I could never finish that game and the euphoria physics and horrendous indoor missions was part of the reason - bland mission structure and the most annoying cellphone blaring objectives killed that game for me. Personally find dashboard cam equally as useless as third person view, as I can't seem to drive without hitting 5,000 city objects while making it from point A to B. Most of the songs are pretty meh, except as someone said the non-lyrical tracks for the game are pretty solid.

Which I really wouldn't ever care about in an open world game except - driving really well helps in the one mode so far that really shines in this game - Online invasions.

Personally invading/getting invaded has been pretty cool, in my first attempt, I appear in this snazzy sportscar, I seriously wanted to change cars because I suspected it was the default car they give you (I think it is, which is a dead giveaway), but my target was running around like a madman it was very hard to keep up. I created a traffic light diversion accident, then parked my car near it but off on the curb and hacked him. I watched this guy suddenly stop his crazed romp around the city and just pause, and start looking around. He checked citizens, he checked the cars in the accident, he started to look vertically, I thought I had him but at 88% he detects me in the car and runs for the nearest car, I swoop for the jammed intersection except I U-turn around it and pop those street barricades behind me which he crashes into for my getaway.

Another instance I was invaded, there quite a bit of cars around, but I was able to spot the default sportscar rather quickly and I jumped on his hood, like something out of a movie and just started shooting his windshield like a madman he takes off and I stumble off his car. He managed to escape as well but I shot the hell out of his car should have died, then I realized I had a grenade launcher :( so mental note, find higher ground and definitely change vehicles.

-----------------------

I downloaded the ctOS app for iOS and it essentially asks you to login to Uplay or PSN or Xbox Live. Using the PC version I logged into Uplay and tried a quick match, I do not see an option to choose my own game, or connect to it in anyway.

Bigsteve
Dec 15, 2000

Cock It!

nate fisher posted:

For me when I saw that Polygon had only gave it 80 I knew to skip it being that we know they are the mother of all sellouts.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Tracula posted:

I'd actually say it is playing it more.

The gunplay is fun. The driving is fun if you ignore certain cars ( and you'll know which cars to ignore by the end of chapter 1 ). The story is bad insofar as game stories are bad, this is about on par with Sleepy Dogs/GTAIV for me in terms of how well written it is. Hell, at least they tried humanizing the side characters a bit, which is more then I can say for 99.9% of games. It's got tons of mission variety and sidecontent, all of which is really fun to go through.

I've got some complaints, but nothing major enough to stop my enjoyment of the game. The biggest issues I can think of are all small things, such as criminal convoys being a bit difficult early on.

Even with all that, I'd normally say it wasn't worth $60, but that's because only things like Skyrim count as $60 products to me. What's justifying the price tag in my mind is the Digital Trips, since at least both Alone and Spider Tank are basically $10 indie games in their own right, strapped in to Watch Dogs as a whole.

Maybe I'd have a different opinion if I was given the option to play GOTG GTAV, our lord and savior in open world form, but I'm still waiting on that port. As is, this is a really solid open world game, and I'm getting the sinking feeling most of the vitriol in this thread is from people who are angry it's not the NEXT GEN experience they built it up to be.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop
I liked GTA4's driving and I also like this, so v:shobon:v
A lot of the cars you cannot lock up the brakes and turn (this includes the bikes). However there are a few cars that just spin their wheels all over the place and they are lovely to drive, especially during Online stuff when you're trying to keep a low profile.

i5-4670K @ 3.4GHz
16 GB RAM
3GB R9 280X OC

Playing on 1080p borderless (impulse bought a 27" monitor and didnt even check the max res) and the game runs at 60fps the whole time. I was worried about this whole nVidia vs AMD thing but I'd already bought the game and luckily it runs fine. Played 5 hours tonight, no gameplay bugs. Just some vertexes clipping all over the place which I might see if newer drivers will remedy.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So on the PS4 does it only download the rest of the game when you finish the tutorial, or will it download everything if you leave it?

VarXX
Oct 31, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

So on the PS4 does it only download the rest of the game when you finish the tutorial, or will it download everything if you leave it?

It will download everything even if you didn't open the game after it reached 3GB.

Kunzelman
Dec 26, 2007

Lord Shaper
I just wanted to drop in the thread here (I mainly stick around the game development threads) to link a longish review of Watch Dogs that I did for Paste. Hopefully it'll give decent information about what to expect for people who are on the fence about it: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/05/watch-dogs-review-multi-platform.html

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
I haven't really looked at the multiplayer much, but can you limit invasions/game searches to friends-only and that kind of thing?

Dvlos
Aug 26, 2003

"I came here to argue with you about a freaking television show!"
Another thing I don't like is how you will randomly scan someone and potentially start a side mission, you have no idea why there is a potential crime related to this person really and before you know it you arrive in the little circle and accidentally trigger you've been spotted! Because I don't know what the hell is going on, or can't stop the random wife beating from happening because I was trying to be too stealthy on my arrival. Sometimes the scans/profiling gets a tad too ADHD

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
So I'm right at the start and haven't got a clue what to do.

I'm meant to sneak by some cops, I'm walking stupidly loving slowly and there's a constantly clicking sound?
I'm randomly sticking to walls/objects and something flashes up (clearly tell me the controls) but it only appears for a loving millisecond and it has the keyboard mappings when I'm using an xbox controller. WTF.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

VarXX posted:

It will download everything even if you didn't open the game after it reached 3GB.

So I guess it's setup as ~3gb base game, ~10gb 'update'?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Fishstick posted:

I haven't really looked at the multiplayer much, but can you limit invasions/game searches to friends-only and that kind of thing?

Broad question piggybacking off this one but to those playing: is the invasion aspect any fun? It reminds me of dark souls the way it's described

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It always throws me off when i start a game up, hit spacebar and you cant loving jump.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Fired it up for a few minutes before work this morning. Driving isn't bad, but the controls for cover and such need some learning (PS4). Doesn't seem to hold your hand too much in what you need to do which is fine.

What was the challenge someone mentioned to do first to get some bad rear end silenced gun?

Cyberdud
Sep 6, 2005

Space pedestrian
Anybody tried the Xbox360 / PS3 versions of the game yet? How does it stack up? If I have both consoles, which version of the game is the least buggy / laggy?

Jetfire
Apr 29, 2008
I kind of love the Profiler.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

I love invading people's games. They're like little impromptu games of Assassins Creed multiplayer.

I had a great run where I just hid in a TV van while watching the guy wander around a crowd, trying to find me. Got to 80% before he clued in to check the TV van.

After that though, I keep getting dumped into games where people are speeding down the freeway. Should I just follow them until they stop somewhere? I suppose you have, what, 5 minutes to start the hack so that would work.

Also is there a way, like in Assassins Creed multi, where I can interact with the environment (sit on a bench...) to look more NPC like? I've already clued into just walking instead of running.

I haven't been invaded yet, but you get a warning when someone is invading right? Also, how do I invade my friends games instead of random people? That's what I REALLY want to do.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Rookersh posted:

What's justifying the price tag in my mind is the Digital Trips, since at least both Alone and Spider Tank are basically $10 indie games in their own right, strapped in to Watch Dogs as a whole.

From Youtube videos, not playing, that seems a bit strong, I'm not sure how much you could really get out of them. Alone does look fun though, I'd like to see what it would be like with darkness turned way up to add to the creepy atmosphere and the "He did this to us!" and "He can never be allowed to hurt us again!" commentary is more intriguing to me than the plot of the actual game.

The Digital Trips seems like a pretty great concept in general to me. They've already announced zombie mode, obviously, but DLC for Trips with superpowers, a post-apoc survival type sim with hunting/crafting, a Brutal-Legend style RTS, it's basically free rein to put anything they want in.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Snuffman posted:

I love invading people's games. They're like little impromptu games of Assassins Creed multiplayer.

I had a great run where I just hid in a TV van while watching the guy wander around a crowd, trying to find me. Got to 80% before he clued in to check the TV van.

After that though, I keep getting dumped into games where people are speeding down the freeway. Should I just follow them until they stop somewhere? I suppose you have, what, 5 minutes to start the hack so that would work.

Also is there a way, like in Assassins Creed multi, where I can interact with the environment (sit on a bench...) to look more NPC like? I've already clued into just walking instead of running.

I haven't been invaded yet, but you get a warning when someone is invading right? Also, how do I invade my friends games instead of random people? That's what I REALLY want to do.

You only get a warning when they start to hack you i think.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Vitamin P posted:

From Youtube videos, not playing, that seems a bit strong, I'm not sure how much you could really get out of them. Alone does look fun though, I'd like to see what it would be like with darkness turned way up to add to the creepy atmosphere and the "He did this to us!" and "He can never be allowed to hurt us again!" commentary is more intriguing to me than the plot of the actual game.

The Digital Trips seems like a pretty great concept in general to me. They've already announced zombie mode, obviously, but DLC for Trips with superpowers, a post-apoc survival type sim with hunting/crafting, a Brutal-Legend style RTS, it's basically free rein to put anything they want in.

Well from playing both they both have skillsets you can unlock skillpoints in, and have story/objectives. It looks like it'll take at least 2-3 goes at Spidertank before you "beat" it for example. All combined it's another 3-4 hours of gameplay, and it's really easy to treat them as a $10-$15-$20 indie bundle you bought that happens to be redeemed inside of this other game.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
I'm also wondering how Watch_Dogs stacks up on the PS3/360. All I've heard so far is negativity, but that could very well just be Metacritic/gaming website trolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frank Horrigan
Jul 31, 2013

by Ralp
Does anybody know where save files are stored at? Need to purge mine.

• Locked thread