Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!
I got the game on pc, and I'm pretty disappointed with how it runs. Even with every goofy "Upgrade to the 14.4 drivers but don't update CCC" trick the game still runs at an almost unplayable framerate. I could technically play it, but it wouldn't be any fun. I'm using a radeon hd 6850 if anyone's curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

ShineDog posted:

Someone tell me things about Singularity. I'm thinking it's basically Wolf09 with commies and a poo poo time travel plot?

It's Wolf09 crossed with Half-Life and Bioshock. Half of the enemies are monsters rather than human soldiers (and they are really cool monsters).

It starts off pretty slow paced (especially if you bother reading notes and listening to audio logs) but it turns into a crazy action extravaganza. I'm currently doing a Let's Play of it, but it's still in the early sections of the game.

Important: if you do decide to play Singularity (I recommend it, it's awesome), remember that the weapon lockers aren't just for weapon upgrades, they are for swapping your weapons. A bunch of players got stuck using just the pistol for an hour because they didnt't realise they were supposed to use a weapon locker to get themselves an assault rifle.

ShineDog posted:

I just marathoned RTCW and Wolf09 to prep for this. RTCW was one of my faves but it hasn't aged so well. Wolf09 was really fun.

The story is tosh, but the gunplay is fun as hell and the weapons make for Nazi splattering good times.

Suggestion. The game will repeatedly tell you that there is not enough money in the game to buy all the upgrades, but to hell with stupid rules like that. Cheat for money and go apeshit. Scouring for every bag of gold will get old fast anyway.

Actually in my Let's Play I got all the upgrades without cheating.

Apparently some people have had problems getting the console (for cheats etc) to work in the Steam version of the game. I think because the Steam version uses a .bat file to start the game.

However, the game has an actual cheat menu that is unlocked once you have beaten the game once. There are instructions on how to unlock it right away without beating the game first: http://megagames.com/cheats/wolfenstein-2009-unlock-cheat-menu (ignore the thing saying its for PS3, those are clearly instructions on editing PC game files!)

If you don't want to cheat... I recommend that when you get past the Farm level you sell any MP40 upgrades you've bought, as from that point onwards you can completely replace the MP40 with the MP43 assault rifle. (In my let's play I didn't need to do that, but that's because I did scour for every bag of gold everywhere.)

Also you should never need to buy ammo for your ordinary guns or the particle cannon (simply go around the town killing some heavy troopers to get more particle cannon ammo). The only thing worth buying ammo for is the tesla gun, as no enemies use it and you wont' find ammo pickups for it until the last few levels. And tesla ammo gets used up really slowly. By the increased ammo capacity upgrade, then refill your tesla ammo, and it will last you for several levels.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Raften posted:

I got the game on pc, and I'm pretty disappointed with how it runs. Even with every goofy "Upgrade to the 14.4 drivers but don't update CCC" trick the game still runs at an almost unplayable framerate. I could technically play it, but it wouldn't be any fun. I'm using a radeon hd 6850 if anyone's curious.

I'd be interested in hearing your specs otherwise because my rig is 6 years after it's last upgrade and even then I only upgraded the graphics card and I found it totally.

I remember Rage had problems with Radeon too.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

quote:

What's the difference between the two time lines for this character. I went with Wyatt first and still need to go through it with Fergus.

I went through with Fergus first; it was more of my commentary on re-experiencing Max's character after going through the game once already. I was rushing through my first playthrough a bit; though I took some time to listen to monologues and try to read newspapers, I was still going a bit fast. I'm slowing down a bit this time to get the rest of the collectibles and such. Wyatt's timeline had a scene that Fergus' didn't Where BJ tries to calm Max down when he goes to get the Project Whisper folder. I looked around his room a bit and saw some things I didn't notice earlier, like the drawing of him and Klaus in front of a house smiling together. Then put this on top of his letter when the Nazis invade the safe house and it's just really, really sad.

ShineDog posted:

They were terrifying because the difficulty in RTCW was kind of bullshit. The aim/reaction time on them was so short (And it was incredibly short on enemies in general in that game) that you were kind of forced to cheese their lovely AI. Flanking tactics didn't really work, because once they were active if they could see you they were dealing damage. (Except for that final fight with them where you can sit 3 miles back and they miss a lot.)

Proto-soldiers were all right to deal with, dodging venoms/panzers is doable. But the actual, honest-to-god Ubersoldats with teslas were bogus, because there's no way you can dodge the Tesla. Until I figured out how to cheese the first Ubersoldat fight it always gave me huge fits. There's this big, open boss arena but you can't use it because you'd just get Tesla'd to death, so you hide in the glass in the control room and he just has no clue what to do. Otherwise, he'll just home in on you and Tesla you to death.

quote:

For how sad it is the occult stuff was disposed of, I do think it's kind of hilarious how the Nazis only really won the war when they ditched that and gave Deathshead the extra funding like he'd been demanding for three games beforehand. Wasn't there even a journal in RTCW where he was ranting about how stupid the ressurection plot was, and how he was going to be holding back Ubersoldats, etc, from the ritual so he could prove to Hitler how poorly they were being used?

This is what I was thinking, and yes, Deathshead's journal in the X-Labs is a whole lot of "this is garbage, why are you wasting time on this, we could win the war with my tech." You can read the transcript on the Wolfenstein Wiki. I believe he said he was holding back one ubersoldat (which I believe is the one he unleashed on BJ).

quote:

I'm disappointed there wasn't some sect of the Occult curious SS that aren't being the equivalent of untouchable political embarrassments for the Nazis. I would have loved for a news article to either hint at some sort of botched experiment in magic down the line or just the Nazi media attempting to cover its rear end of some Black Sun level gently caress-up as terrorist activity.

The closest we got was the Jewish secret society that the Nazis stole their tech from which is interesting in and of itself. I too liked the occult bits of the earlier Wolfensteins, though I think '09 went too far in the occult direction.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I love the part of the game where you get to the resistance base and just pounce on this guy with a swastika tattoo. Blaskowitz really loves killing nazis.

Raften
May 20, 2007

Monster w21 Faces posted:

I'd be interested in hearing your specs otherwise because my rig is 6 years after it's last upgrade and even then I only upgraded the graphics card and I found it totally.

I'm on a AMD Phenom X4 955 black edition overclocked to 3.6ghz, 8 gigs of ram, and the HD 6850. I haven't had any problems with other games that have released recently so I don't think it's my CPU at the moment.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
People really need to stop leaving their knives lying around. In BJ, for instance. It isn't safe. Someone might get hurt.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Monster w21 Faces posted:

ATI/AMD cards have dogshit OpenGL support. Always have.

I'm pretty sure they just ignore OpenGL entirely until id/bethesda release a new game then they scramble around for a few weeks to get it working before going back to ignoring it again

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel
I feel fortunate in that I encountered zero problems on my 760, the game's graphics are loving amazing. The people and weapons all look great, as do the textures.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
Something I didn't notice in my first playthrough of the game, that isn't important plot-wise but a neat touch: The London Monitor is a tricked-out version of the war stomper you fight in 1946. With a better laser gun, machine guns, and rocket pods all over it. And BJ blows up that improved model while on foot, whereas he needed a mounted AA cannon to take out the prototype. Fun little example of how badass you've become over the course of the game.

Also, I'm missing a single character bio thing, it's the second one in chapter two, between Keller and Grandma. What do I need to do to get that?

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Raften posted:

That's really weird. I've got an i5-3570k, Radeon 6850, 8 GB of RAM, and run everything (except shadows) on high (in 1080) with no problems at all. You're not forcing AA through Catalyst, are you?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Last mission spoilers: What happens if you don't stab Deathshead? Can you even not stab him? I mean, I stabbed him first chance, but still, I'm curious. Same with Bubi, I guess.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Raften posted:

I'm on a AMD Phenom X4 955 black edition overclocked to 3.6ghz, 8 gigs of ram, and the HD 6850. I haven't had any problems with other games that have released recently so I don't think it's my CPU at the moment.

Yeeeeeah I have a intel duo running at 2.66 ghz and 4 gigs of ram and I played through the game on mid to low settings with no problem. Nvidia gpu.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Geight posted:

Something I didn't notice in my first playthrough of the game, that isn't important plot-wise but a neat touch: The London Monitor is a tricked-out version of the war stomper you fight in 1946. With a better laser gun, machine guns, and rocket pods all over it. And BJ blows up that improved model while on foot, whereas he needed a mounted AA cannon to take out the prototype. Fun little example of how badass you've become over the course of the game.

What is it with these games by Swedish Studios that have giant mechanical spiders? I believe the name of the stomper in 1946 was called "The Baltic Eye."

I loved the London Monitor fight. It's constantly yelling at you to "STOP AND BE PUNISHED," or to "STOP DAMAGING PROPERTY OF THE STATE." How the hell does the thing work? Is there an AI? Is somebody piloting it? Remote control? And BJ just dismantles it with a handheld laser because, doggone it, he's got a Ph.D in Nazi killing and no matter how big the Nazi he just has the knack for it.

Obviously these questions don't really need to be answered because video games. It was one of the best fights in the game.

Also, another reference I caught in a newspaper clipping: Irradiated New York is referred to as "The Forbidden Zone." Did the Nazis cause Planet of the Apes? :haw:

Dumb question: Where IS Deathshead's compound located? I'm presuming it's the same facility in 1946 and 1960.

Magni
Apr 29, 2009
IIRC, it's mentioned that the compound is somewhere on the baltic coast.

Ravenfood posted:

Last mission spoilers: What happens if you don't stab Deathshead? Can you even not stab him? I mean, I stabbed him first chance, but still, I'm curious. Same with Bubi, I guess.

No idea about Deathshead, waiting about a minute didn't do anything, he jsut keeps laughing at you. Not stabbing Bubi causes him to keel over from blood loss after a minute or so while Engel keeps sobbing over the video line.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Magni posted:

IIRC, it's mentioned that the compound is somewhere on the baltic coast.

Thanks. It must be the Baltic coast of Poland, given where BJ washes up I guess.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Thanks. It must be the Baltic coast of Poland, given where BJ washes up I guess.

It specifically mentions that the compound is in Germany but close to the border of Poland on the baltic coast. But gently caress me if I can remember where in game it specifically mentions it

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Raften posted:

Post your current in game graphic settings. There may be some room for tweaking.

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Bolow posted:

It specifically mentions that the compound is in Germany but close to the border of Poland on the baltic coast. But gently caress me if I can remember where in game it specifically mentions it

It's in the Concept Art:

Raften
May 20, 2007

Humerus posted:

That's really weird. I've got an i5-3570k, Radeon 6850, 8 GB of RAM, and run everything (except shadows) on high (in 1080) with no problems at all. You're not forcing AA through Catalyst, are you?

Nope! I have it set to application settings so it should be off.

Mindblast posted:

Post your current in game graphic settings. There may be some room for tweaking.

It's all set to the lowest setting at 1280x720. I'm not sure how much more tweaking I can do.

I think the worst part is that the bethesda/machinegames/idtech logo intros are also extremely choppy. There shouldn't be any reason for that to happen should there?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
When will developers realize that putting in a ton of these "walking tank" enemies is never fun or challenging? It is usually just bullshit. They never flinch, usually always have perfect accuracy and eat up a lot of ammo. Im not talking about the ubersoldats but the loving regular enemies with body armor and shotguns. Wolf 09 did it right in that their weakpoints were small but easily accessible and destroying all of them killed the enemy. In this game they walk at a weird angle and the weapons aren't accurate enough to hit the tank before they kill you most of the time.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Humerus posted:

It's in the Concept Art:

Thanks! I haven't even flipped through the concept arts yet.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Yeah, i'm done with the game. Just can't be bothered with it any more.

So mad i didn't get it on the PS4 instead of PC so i could have traded it in against something. It's a perfectly average shooter that might be worth a punt to someone who absolutely loves shooters if they can pick it up for maybe 10 bucks. It's just an exercise in FPS box ticking for me.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

When will developers realize that putting in a ton of these "walking tank" enemies is never fun or challenging? It is usually just bullshit. They never flinch, usually always have perfect accuracy and eat up a lot of ammo. Im not talking about the ubersoldats but the loving regular enemies with body armor and shotguns.

Those guys go down in under two seconds if you flank them and hit their backpacks. Or just use the LKW and they pop like balloons. Don't waste ammo pouring it into their armored front.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Mung Dynasty posted:

- On a controller, the weapon wheel was balls. It didn't pause the game when you brought it up, which wouldn't necessarily be a problem on its own, but it stays open for a second or two after you let go of the button. It captures your analog stick input while it's up so you're basically frozen in place waiting for your selection to "confirm". It drove me nuts and was useless in the middle of combat.
I think you can just hit the fire button in order to select the highlighted weapon immediately instead of having to wait. At least it's like that on the PC the few times I decided to use the mouse wheel to bring up the weapon wheel.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
That was a fun Nazi murderspree that was more thoughtful in places i didn't expect. Wyatt path spoiler: Jimmy Hendrix calling out america's racism, for example.

And oh god, the giant robot fights. :allears: I was grinning like a madman every time.

I'd love to see that ending expanded upon by Either Caroline in her power armour, Anya, or flashback to the choice between Wyatt and Fergus and play as that survivor, take up the torch to continue the fight to see Frau defeated and the Nazi stranglehold crushed for good while grieving in the loss of BJ and the fallout in the post-Deathshead world. Let poor old BJ have his rest. Also more giant robot fights!

What a fun game it was. And what a GREAT soundtrack and use of music, particularly the final levels build up of volume. They really nailed that same use of soundtrack that made half life 1 and 2's OST's so memorable.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
When I'm sneaking around in this game and BJ whispers to himself I like to pretend that he is Garrett and I'm playing Thief: Nazi Edition, seriously he sounds just like him sometimes I had to check IMDB just to make sure.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Just beat it. I felt that the game started off great, but towards the middle and end, it started sliding back into some pretty terrible FPS tropes. Fetch hunts, wave after wave of armored enemies that pretty much rip you to shreds the moment you leave cover. The charging mechanic got old fast and the laser cutter would have been just as serviceable using a button instead of awkwardly cutting using a controller. The monologues were just laughable and I honestly felt that B.J was as generic as they come.

The final boss was terrible. He has pretty drat good accuracy, while your view is clouded to poo poo and he takes way too many hits to bring down.

I ultimately would give it a 7 out of 10.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dominic White posted:

Those guys go down in under two seconds if you flank them and hit their backpacks. Or just use the LKW and they pop like balloons. Don't waste ammo pouring it into their armored front.

Yeah, the LKW and laser AR-rifle will kill them in a second or two, and one or two hits from the rocket launcher will do the same.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So I'm not going to claim Wolfenstein is breaking boundaries or making any dramatic statements with its storyline, but I'm racking my brain and trying to think of other Nazi games (if that's the phrase...) that directly mention the racial purity/ethnic cleansing stuff that went on. More often than not the Nazis are just there to be shot at because they're Nazis; I don't think I've seen a game which shows this side of them.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

poptart_fairy posted:

So I'm not going to claim Wolfenstein is breaking boundaries or making any dramatic statements with its storyline, but I'm racking my brain and trying to think of other Nazi games (if that's the phrase...) that directly mention the racial purity/ethnic cleansing stuff that went on. More often than not the Nazis are just there to be shot at because they're Nazis; I don't think I've seen a game which shows this side of them.
Metro: Last Light has skull-measuring Nazis, but it didn't really go anywhere near as deep.

I hope Machinegames and A4 get into an arms race to make the best atmospheric game where you shoot nazis possible.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
Kampfhund 1960 (kh60)

Just like the Panzerhunds, the 1946 Kampfhunds got a more refined look in 1960. This little cute puppy was so much fun to create. You might remember an early version of it in the first batch of screenshots we released.

The head was very different. The idea was that the jaw was more like a housing for 3 motor saws that popped out when it opened its mouth. The funnels on the lower jaw is for all the blood and stuff to pour out when its biting/sawing people. It didn't look very scary though, so I did a second revision. I just added more pointy things.

The idea is that there is still a lot of organic dog left, but most of the head is removed except for some parts of the brain.
These things has such cute idle animations which I'm not sure right now if they made it into the game. Might make some gifs otherwise.

Highpoly:

...and yes...those are butt armor plates. Because why not.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PAnick posted:

Because why not.

Because I've played Dark Souls.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Any chance of pics of the knives? Wanna see all the details of my stabbin' companions :)

One of the weapons another dude did. Gonna ask him if he can share some hires pictures

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Keep this stuff comming duder! I just got the artbook from Amazon on the 20th! Love it!

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
How is 2nd person mode in this game?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teOwOelncCc

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!
I hope whoever at Bethesda thought to commission the Onion to make these videos got a pat on the back, because they're great.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

PAnick posted:

Kampfhund 1960 (kh60)
The idea is that there is still a lot of organic dog left, but most of the head is removed except for some parts of the brain.
I kinda wondered where the dog head was in the 1960 version, that explains it.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
Seems neogaf finally found this little thing I put in Bobby's car. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

PAnick posted:

Seems neogaf finally found this little thing I put in Bobby's car. :)

I noticed that guy the first time I was playing, but with the bouncy camera I was going "Wait, is that..... no, move the camera back! Yeah it's the.... NO, CAMERA! MOVE BACK!!"

• Locked thread