Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

make a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY

BONGHITZ posted:

make a game

or at least use a game engine b/c it gives you a very short, very satisfying feedback loop.

unity3d is pro as heck and ive heard great things about unreal engine 4

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
hey shagger (or anyone else) have you tried this java EE 7 stuff

I havent seen java EE in years but it looks a lot like spring now, everything's pojos, annotations instead of xml, some new persistence tech/query language etc

is it just skin deep though?

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Internaut! posted:

hey shagger (or anyone else) have you tried this java EE 7 stuff

I havent seen java EE in years but it looks a lot like spring now, everything's pojos, annotations instead of xml, some new persistence tech/query language etc

is it just skin deep though?

this is not an accident. java ee cdi is literally based on spring

also java ee is basically dead. i went to a panel discussion w/ like 1/4 of the java ee committee and they were like "yeah none of us really give a drat, but it would be nice to replace jsf someday"

it's ok that java ee is dead because it died for such a good reason: java open source is such a juggernaut that having a bunch of committees choose standards for libraries is no longer relevant

the community moves faster than a committee could

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
interesting, so what's the generally approved java stack these days? spring + hibernate + ?

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

see java.time.*

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.

Internaut! posted:

interesting, so what's the generally approved java stack these days? spring + hibernate + ?

Spring + Hibernate | MyBatis

Thymeleaf for views, Jersey for REST.

Play is also available if you're a weirdo.

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
the talent deficit posts in here, so I'd like to thank him for jsx, which fits my needs of "no NIFs", and "not Mochiweb" very well :tipshat:

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
and do all these work with groovy? I could never go back to actual java

reason I'm asking all this is we just bought a pretty good trading floor that's using a lot of old school java EE on the back end (not live floor tech) and we'll need to spend a year or so transitioning, would be nice to know if we should make them leap forward to new EE or sideways to spring/whatever

not my decision but it affects me so I'm soliciting opinions tyvm :tipshat:

more like dICK
Feb 15, 2010

This is inevitable.
If you're doing Groovy, maybe check out Grails. I haven't tried it, but I've heard good things. The Groovy website also has a bunch of articles and docs on using Spring with Groovy. Calling Java from Groovy is super easy though.

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
yeah the last time we went through this a couple years ago I was writing some of the code and groovy made it actually enjoyable

we had a kid who was a grails/html/js wizard and put all our crap into web dashboards etc in no time, I deffo miss that

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

java se 8 includes a jsr for a library based on joda time, so that is finally getting fuckin fixed for good

(but that's java se, not java ee)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Internaut! posted:

and do all these work with groovy? I could never go back to actual java

everything works with groovy that is the point of groovy existing

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

MononcQc posted:

http://vimeo.com/95066828

James Mickens at Monitorama on the cloud, security, etc.

his usenix column is the best

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance

BONGHITZ posted:

make a game

make a demo

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

Otto Skorzeny posted:

his usenix column is the best

He stopped writing them after one on web front-end stuff :(

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
i can't make it more than halfway through a page of that guy's writing

he has a very histrionic and grating writing style that i'm sure he thinks is very funny

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

Mr Dog posted:

i can't make it more than halfway through a page of that guy's writing

he has a very histrionic and grating writing style that i'm sure he thinks is very funny

it is

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

http://www.php.net/archive/2014.php#id2014-05-27-1

quote:

27 May 2014
When we aren't looking for pictures of kittens on the internet, internals developers are nearly always looking for ways to improve PHP, a few developers have a focus on performance.

Over the last year, some research into the possibility of introducing JIT compilation capabilities to PHP has been conducted.

During this research, the realization was made that in order to achieve optimal performance from PHP, some internal API's should be changed.

This necessitated the birth of the phpng branch, initially authored by Dmitry Stogov, Xinchen Hui, and Nikita Popov. This branch does not include JIT capabilities, but rather seeks to solve those problems that prohibit the current, and any future implementation of a JIT capable executor achieving optimal performance by improving memory usage and cleaning up some core API's.

By making these improvements, the phpng branch gives us a considerable performance gain in real world applications, for example a 20% increase in throughput for Wordpress. The door may well now be open for a JIT capable compiler that can perform as we expect, but it's necessary to say that these changes stand strong on their own, without requiring a JIT capable compiler in the future to validate them.

The name "Next Generation" was optimistically presumptuous; in reality phpng is an internal project that we are working on, it is not a production ready branch that anyone should deploy, or judge as they would a release of PHP.

The work on phpng, the doors it opens, the conversations it has started, the collaboration it is inspiring, are all worth getting excited about. But, we need to stay grounded, honest, and open; and say that there is much work to do in order to make the "Next Generation" a reality, this is only the start.

PHP: The Next Generation

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
i thought hip hop already did jit and all that poo poo

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

tractor fanatic posted:

i thought hip hop already did jit and all that poo poo

nih i would guess

crazypenguin
Mar 9, 2005
nothing witty here, move along
presumably they want it to work for the full language, not just a restricted subset of the language like hiphop.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
But a restricted set of PHP is better than all of PHP.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

crazypenguin posted:

presumably they want it to work for the full language, not just a restricted subset of the language like hiphop.

the HHVM team has publicly committed to support for all of PHP, and the work is underway. contributing missing stuff these guys care about probably gets to something fast that's compatible with all of PHP (*) much earlier than writing their own

writing JITs is fun, though, so I wouldn't begrudge anyone deciding they wanted to have that adventure

(*) some version's specific semantics, void where PHP has different semantics on different architectures, etc

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Suspicious Dish posted:

But a restricted set of PHP is better than all of PHP.

∅ being the best subset of PHP of course

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

AlsoD posted:

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

AlsoD posted:

Deus Rex
Mar 5, 2005

Max Facetime posted:

oh god I hope this hasn't been posted yet http://codeofrob.com/entries/you-have-ruined-javascript.html

Here's a tip. If you find yourself asking a question like this. If you find yourself asking a question which requires this sort of answer and then this sort of question to be asked YOU'VE DONE IT WRONG.

you would have to be straight retarded - like this guy is - to end all of your provider names with 'Provider' or your factory names with 'Factory'. it's like:

code:
function fibonacci_function() { }

int count_int;

class WidgetClass { }
levels of retardation

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Sinestro posted:

What math class is he in? Honestly, at that age, you can probably just teach him to program. I learned HTML when I was 7, and taught myself Perl from the Camel Book when I was 10.

Stubbs
Oct 24, 2005

Deus Rex posted:

you would have to be straight retarded - like this guy is

that dude seems like a horrible knob

"OO is poo poo and thanks for loving up javascript with it fuckheads"

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

Stubbs posted:

that dude seems like a horrible knob

"OO is poo poo and thanks for loving up javascript with it fuckheads"

OO is poo poo

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Zombywuf posted:

OO is poo poo

Stubbs
Oct 24, 2005

FP is great and all and OO is mostly poo poo (like all code)

but this guy claiming JS is somehow more OO now then when he was using it a few year ago is bollocks

i guess he forgot about the popularity of YUI and Prototype

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Stubbs posted:

i guess he forgot about the popularity of YUI and Prototype

Please, let's.

penus de milo
Mar 9, 2002

CHAR CHAR
OO is great, noobs and academics leave immediately

skeevy achievements
Feb 25, 2008

by merry exmarx
yeah OO is great but it can definitely be abused, seen some hilariously complicated and completely brittle object models in my time

tef
May 30, 2004

-> some l-system crap ->
oo in practice is just global variables (or, implicit state) but in smaller lumps than 'the whole program'

Zombywuf
Mar 29, 2008

tef posted:

oo in practice is just global variables (or, implicit state) but in smaller lumps than 'the whole program'

That's OO in theory, i.e. the actor model.

OO in practice is constantly putting off making decisions by hiding everything behind mountains of factories and dependency injection.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Zombywuf posted:

OO is poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe

Zombywuf posted:

OO in practice is constantly putting off making decisions by hiding everything behind mountains of factories and dependency injection.