Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I just dropped a platform out from a guy in Iron Keep. Apparently he was lagging so hard that after that platform fell, the game let him walk across solid air back to safety :what:

Then a few second later he instantly died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Stokes posted:

Zero improvements.

You can completely turn off PvP by burning an effigy.
They took such a massive dump on early game PvP, it has rendered the two main PvP covenants nearly useless until your second time through the game.

Zero improvements.

It's ok to admit when you're wrong.

You could look at the PvP dumps as intentionally design :v:, first minimal run PVP for the fellas that aren't big into PvP. Then in NG+ all bets are off there.

But yeah PvP will probably be something that'll be bitched about forever until the experience is more...consistent ? Or just an opt-out option heh.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Stokes posted:

Zero improvements.

They took such a massive dump on early game PvP, it has rendered the two main PvP covenants nearly useless until your second time through the game.

Zero improvements.

The first one's just a quality of life feature that can hardly be considered an improvement to the game's core PVP mechanics, and...

quote:

That second thing ain't no improvement

I was really hoping for better PVP connectivity myself with this sequel; but the "Dedicated servers" touted early in development turned out to be just for matchmaking. Lag Stabs and lovely hitreg for all!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

So I just dropped a platform out from a guy in Iron Keep. Apparently he was lagging so hard that after that platform fell, the game let him walk across solid air back to safety :what:

Core part of the Dark Souls experience. :smug:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I just looked and every single piece of gear I have equipped or want to equip needs twinkling titanite. These titanite chunks are worthless to me. :negative:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Stokes posted:

Zero improvements.

Zero improvements.

I can still hit dudes and not hit them for any damage because my sword passes through them, and they can do the same for me. Let me know when they fix that and I'll admit I'm wrong.

Perhaps I should have said zero actually worthwhile improvements.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

The Dark Souls 2 netcode is absolutely infallible, keeping with the Dark Souls series' 100% perfect pedrigee of flawless and exceptional multiplayer connectivity. Cease this vicious and unfounded libel henceforth.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

CJacobs posted:

I can still hit dudes and not hit them for any damage because my sword passes through them, and they can do the same for me. Let me know when they fix that and I'll admit I'm wrong.

Perhaps I should have said zero actually worthwhile improvements.

That's actually roll i-frames you're getting there, unless the lag is insanely bad you'll do damage when the sword on your end goes through them. It happens with insanely bad lag as well only they die 10 seconds later after they've been whacking your seemingly stationary character so you die too.

If anything the netcode awards hits it shouldn't.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

There's always a bit of a delay (between .5 and 1 seconds I'd say) so hits that look like they should hit won't and hits that don't look like they should hit will. With a bit of experience this will disappear since you'll know what'll hit and what won't. Just like the previous games.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I've backstabbed a seemingly stationary character and then when the game caught up I was the one who was backstabbed :(

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Space Hamlet posted:

That second thing ain't no improvement :colbert:

I know. I hate it. It's an improvement to the people that bought a game with pvp for the single player experience though.

Cowcaster posted:

The Dark Souls 2 netcode is absolutely infallible, keeping with the Dark Souls series' 100% perfect pedrigee of flawless and exceptional multiplayer connectivity. Cease this vicious and unfounded libel henceforth.

Is this hyperbole because of what I've been posting about? It's ok. Not everyone has a decent IP.

CJacobs posted:

I can still hit dudes and not hit them for any damage because my sword passes through them, and they can do the same for me.

Ge better agility for your character or learn to roll better I guess.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Stokes posted:

Ge better agility for your character or learn to roll better I guess.

This happens pretty frequently whether or not anyone is rolling for me. Cox isn't exactly the cream of the crop here but my connection's 20 mb up, 5 down (supposed to be 10 guess I get another thing to gripe to them about), 11 ping to nearest server. Spells seem way less affected by it though. Except for that string of failure early on most things hit their mark or missed when they should have.

quote:

If anything the netcode awards hits it shouldn't.

It hits both ways really.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

I've backstabbed a seemingly stationary character and then when the game caught up I was the one who was backstabbed :(

He got backstabbed a bit later. That is a thing that can just happen, even in otherwise normal matches, where the other guy (and you on their screen) will just freeze up. Nothing for either of you to do but spam attacks and backstab and hope your damage will come through first when things unfreeze.

It's weird that this happens since I don't believe anything like that ever happened in Dks (or even Des).

e: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bgnklB8Ays

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Genocyber posted:

He got backstabbed a bit later. That is a thing that can just happen, even in otherwise normal matches, where the other guy (and you on their screen) will just freeze up. Nothing for either of you to do but spam attacks and backstab and hope your damage will come through first when things unfreeze.

You have the game freeze up on you in multiplayer, or is it just the two characters doing it? I haven't seen that yet.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

You have the game freeze up on you in multiplayer, or is it just the two characters doing it? I haven't seen that yet.

It's that the other guy just stops moving (and you on his screen, I believe). I guess it's some error with the connection, cause a few seconds later it'll return to normal and attempt to do everything each of you did to the other person at once. See the video I linked in the above post.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

There's always a bit of a delay (between .5 and 1 seconds I'd say)

That's an outrageously large amount and would be considered completely and utterly unplayable in any other multiplayer game. Just saying.

e:
This beautifully sums up Dark Souls PVP. "No, it was actually you getting backstabbed all along" *dramatic music*

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 28, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah the lag in most fights is not nearly that bad, a fraction of a second at most, which is still infuriating when fighting against a dude with a washing pole but I've fought some dudes who were a second behind and it was hellish.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Your Computer posted:

That's an outrageously large amount and would be considered completely and utterly unplayable in any other multiplayer game. Just saying.

Except it's not unplayable in the slightest? See all the pvp videos on youtube where people do fine.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Stokes posted:

Is this hyperbole because of what I've been posting about? It's ok. Not everyone has a decent IP.

The game's netcode is poo poo dude, regardless of what IP you have. I mean, these are quotes from the guy defending the multiplayer:

Genocyber posted:

There's always a bit of a delay (between .5 and 1 seconds I'd say) so hits that look like they should hit won't and hits that don't look like they should hit will. With a bit of experience this will disappear since you'll know what'll hit and what won't. Just like the previous games.

Genocyber posted:

It's weird that this happens since I don't believe anything like that ever happened in Dks (or even Des).

Genocyber posted:

It's that the other guy just stops moving (and you on his screen, I believe). I guess it's some error with the connection, cause a few seconds later it'll return to normal and attempt to do everything each of you did to the other person at once. See the video I linked in the above post.

I mean jesus can you possibly lower your standards for netcode any more that you have to argue that this poo poo being normal is not bad?

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Genocyber posted:

I just had this happen to me in the Iron Keep. I got a backstab on the guy then he stopped moving and then my character just keeled over and died.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Genocyber posted:

Yes, I never had trouble on Battlefield servers with 500-1000 ping. Just a little practice and it'll be like there's no lag at all! :)

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

I don't see how I'm contradicting myself. 90% of the time PVP is the normal delay (which may be more like .5 seconds at the absolute most; I always think a second is shorter than it is). poo poo like that is pretty drat rare, if more common than in the previous games.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
I've probably told similar stories already, but I've been attacked and/or backstabbed from separate floors a couple of times. Like, we're downstairs at the Belfry Luna. He's in the doorway/bridge, I get to the stairs, start to run upstairs, he hasn't moved...

Bam. Backstabaported through the floor, across the zone, off the backboard nothin' but net

It is kind of very silly. It's not 100% of my PvP experience but it is an uncomfortably large amount of it, and I have not awful internet for any other intents and purposes.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Genocyber posted:

I don't see how I'm contradicting myself. 90% of the time PVP is the normal delay (which may be more like .5 seconds at the absolute most; I always think a second is shorter than it is). poo poo like that is pretty drat rare, if more common than in the previous games.

With how much people are reporting it, I'd say it's less than "pretty drat rare". Again, if this were a serious multiplayer game (which it isn't), this would be reason for a serious outrage. Imagine TF2 or some fighting game having that much lag.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Genocyber posted:

I think I had this happen in coop, where the host just stood there in front of the fog door for a long rear end time, and then before I saw the host move at all the other phantom (who was moving fine on my end) passed through the fog door and got killed by Freja while the fog was still impassable for me. I eventually black crystaled out.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Genocyber posted:

I don't think you're contradicting yourself, I think you're just saying "Yeah, the netcode's lovely, but you can get used to it". Which is true! But it's still absolutely lovely.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Half a second is loving huge and literally every single pvp encounter would be unplayable if it had a half second delay, much less a 1 second delay.

I've been doing a shitload of pvp and I think it's great fun 90% of the time but the netcode is still one of the worst parts about it.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

PublicOpinion posted:

I think I had this happen in coop, where the host just stood there in front of the fog door for a long rear end time, and then before I saw the host move at all the other phantom (who was moving fine on my end) passed through the fog door and got killed by Freja while the fog was still impassable for me. I eventually black crystaled out.

That reminds me of one time I was summoned as a sunbro for the Old Dragonslayer. The dude was teleporting around the room, Ornstein/Dragonslayer was mostly looking confused and walking around, and I wailed on him for about 10 minutes without doing any damage whatsoever. Then he suddenly died and the guy who summoned me bowed to me from across the room.
It was a.. strange experience.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
As someone who has spent a ton of time invading people, I've seen all kinds of lag. I've seen people take damage and not have it register until 10 seconds later. I've been killed by people who then died when my damage dealt caught up to them. As I mentioned last page, I've literally seen someone walk across solid air. You could say my connection is bad, but I have plenty of fights that are fine. I just think the netcode in this game can be really loving bad at times.

That said, in the vast majority of my PvP fights? Lag doesn't play a big role. I mean maybe a hit I think should go through doesn't occasionally, but I rarely find myself calling bullshit on a fight most of the time and I do A LOT of pvp. So if you're just playing casually and dealing with the occasional invasion, you're probably not losing because of lag.

You're probably of losing for a wide variety of other dumb reasons you don't even know about because SM is hosed.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

I don't think you're contradicting yourself, I think you're just saying "Yeah, the netcode's lovely, but you can get used to it". Which is true! But it's still lovely.

I honestly don't think it's lovely. Well, it's bad enough to allow for things like that often enough to be a bit annoying, but as I said 90% of the matches I have are more like, uh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8H3VuYIjD8c

this I guess? Too lazy to search for a better example but it's decent enough. Most matches I have have little enough lag that you just need to adjust your timing and be able to predict your opponent.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Your Computer posted:

That reminds me of one time I was summoned as a sunbro for the Old Dragonslayer. The dude was teleporting around the room, Ornstein/Dragonslayer was mostly looking confused and walking around, and I wailed on him for about 10 minutes without doing any damage whatsoever. Then he suddenly died and the guy who summoned me bowed to me from across the room.
It was a.. strange experience.

Maybe you were just moving so fast everything else looked like it was standing still

Genocyber posted:

I honestly don't think it's lovely. Well, it's bad enough to allow for things like that often enough to be a bit annoying,

Ok, see now I think you're contradicting yourself.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Genocyber refuses to admit he's wrong about something, sky continues to be blue.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Genocyber refuses to admit he's wrong about something, sky continues to be blue.

Because I'm not wrong? Lag like that is common enough to be annoying, but uncommon enough to still not be a big deal.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Maybe FROM Software, should git gud, at making video games, nerd :c00l:

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Genocyber posted:

Because I'm not wrong? Lag like that is common enough to be annoying, but uncommon enough to still not be a big deal.

I mean it's bad, but it could be worse, so if you think about it, it's not actually bad.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Unrelated to netcode but it bothers me how little phantoms can do now besides just kill enemies now. In Dark Souls 1 you could show hosts pretty much all the secrets and it was awesome, but now you can't interact with almost anything as a phantom. So I can't open illusory walls for the host, I wasn't able to make sound to trigger the enemies to open that one door in the Forest of Fallen Giants that you can't ever open yourself, etc.

I just got summoned in Earthen Peak and the host hadn't burned the windmill yet, and the boss is almost impossible to kill without doing that so I took a torch down there but nope it won't let you do that either. And without turning on voice chat it's kind of hard to communicate "hey you should get a torch and then run back halfway across the level to try to interact with this completely loving random piece of metal that will somehow burn all the windmills which will make the boss way easier for reasons you probably won't think of".

A lot of things about coop were improved (name engraved ring, health bars on the side of the screen, way fewer connection problems etc) but actually being a phantom feels more bland now.

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 05:37 on May 28, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Unrelated to netcode but it bothers me how little phantoms can do now besides just kill enemies now. In Dark Souls 1 you could show hosts pretty much all the secrets and it was awesome, but now you can't interact with almost anything as a phantom. So I can't open illusory walls for the host, I wasn't able to make sound to trigger the enemies to open that one door in the Forest of Fallen Giants that you can't ever open yourself, etc.

I just got summoned in Earthen Peak and the host hadn't burned the windmill yet, and the boss is almost impossible to kill without doing that so I took a torch down there but nope it won't let you do that either. And without turning on voice chat it's kind of hard to communicate "hey you should get a torch and run back halfway across the level to try to interact with this completely loving random piece of metal that will somehow burn all the windmills which will make the boss way easier for reasons you probably won't think of".

As an outsider who only reads stories about these things, I'm glad they limited interaction.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

Maybe you were just moving so fast everything else looked like it was standing still

I'm reminded of the gif I made for the bestest ever in the whole world LP of Saints Row 2:

Maybe I should redo that as a sunbro.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.
The problem I have with PvP in this game is that even when it's working at its absolute best, it's still pretty noticeably off. In PvE you can, outside of a very few wonky enemies/attacks, be confident that what you see is what you get. With PvP what you see is literally never what you get.

e: actually that's not really "this game" it's more like "this series"

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I just got summoned in Earthen Peak and the host hadn't burned the windmill yet, and the boss is almost impossible to kill without doing that so I took a torch down there but nope it won't let you do that either. And without turning on voice chat it's kind of hard to communicate "hey you should get a torch and run back halfway across the level to try to interact with this completely loving random piece of metal that will somehow burn all the windmills which will make the boss way easier for reasons you probably won't think of".

Actually, can you piss off Agadyne by using accidentally using pyromancies somewhat near him as a phantom? Because either I did that once or the host had already pissed him off and I don't know if I should feel guilty about it while also proud because I discovered a fantastic new method of trolling hosts.