Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Bobulus posted:

Tempted to grab this for a graphics card upgrade that will speed up my current PC and still be useful in a total system rebuild, say, six months from now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130953&cm_re=gtx_760-_-14-130-953-_-Product

The 4gb model is only $30 more dollars than the 2gb model, seems like a decent deal.

Just get the 2gb, nothing's actually shown the 4gb version to do any better since the rest of the card chokes first in any situations that would use 4gb. Pull the trigger, it'll treat ya well!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Bobulus posted:

Tempted to grab this for a graphics card upgrade that will speed up my current PC and still be useful in a total system rebuild, say, six months from now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130953&cm_re=gtx_760-_-14-130-953-_-Product

The 4gb model is only $30 more dollars than the 2gb model, seems like a decent deal.

That's a pretty terrible price for a 760 either way. Look at R9 280 cards with 3GB instead for those prices.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bobulus posted:

You should buy my Radeon R9 290 for the same price :ssh:. And beejay is right about the price not being great.

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

beejay posted:

That's a pretty terrible price for a 760 either way. Look at R9 280 cards with 3GB instead for those prices.

Listen to him, I'm not current on card prices and on a phone.

E: Also, keep in mind that if you wanna keep running ultra settings at 1080p you wanna bump up to a 770/280x. The 760 level will mostly do it, but you'll have to turn some settings down in some games.

teh_Broseph fucked around with this message at 01:34 on May 28, 2014

Dohaeris
Mar 24, 2012

Often known as SniperGuy
So I got a NZXT Hue for my Corsair 250d. Unfortunately the Hue strip is like 5 feet long, and I absolutely don't need that much or have that much room in the case. Plus the front panel, while nifty, would take up my entire 5.25" slot. So I RMA'd it and am looking at Icemodz.com lights. The basic RGB LED kit http://www.icemodz.com/webshop/#!/~/product/category=5346676&id=22177940 looks great, but I have some questions. I want to light my 250D window, probably by ringing the window in the strips, aimed down at the motherboard. Since it comes in strips, it looks like I can cut it? The site I got this picture from says I can cut the LEDs after every 3rd one. Is that the little RGB bronze area in that picture?

If I cut it, I see he has some curved connectors I can get. Would I just cut the strip, attach the connector, then stick the entire thing in my case? If so, excellent, that seems easy enough.

Now to make it trickier, can I get a fan controller or something that'll let me control the lights better than the little wireless remote? I don't really mind the remote but I would prefer if the lights were controllable by the computer itself. It seems like you can, but perhaps can't change the colors and such? I may end up just getting a small 5.25" drawer and keep the remote/usb drives/whatever in there.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance!

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Your link got me excited that prices were dropping. Until I saw the 2gb/4gb button.

R9 290 used / 280x new stuff aside, even a brand new gtx 770 can be like $15 more than that (or exactly the same cost on sale)

If there was some reason to get a 4gb 760 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0140528010054:s but don't

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Okay, so 4gb version seems a waste, you're right. But the 2gb version ($260 with $10 rebate and free game) seems pretty reasonable. Same price on NewEgg and Amazon. The OP says EVGAs have good support, too.

edit: and considering I'm using a five-year-old graphics card right now and only in the last six months have I started not using Ultra settings, I'm not too worried about this going out of date anytime soon.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Uhhh... ok.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bobulus posted:

Okay, so 4gb version seems a waste, you're right. But the 2gb version ($260 with $10 rebate and free game) seems pretty reasonable. Same price on NewEgg and Amazon. The OP says EVGAs have good support, too.

edit: and considering I'm using a five-year-old graphics card right now and only in the last six months have I started not using Ultra settings, I'm not too worried about this going out of date anytime soon.
I don't think that's the right way to think about it. The 760 is fine for high 1080p gaming, but it's almost certain that you'll have a higher resolution monitor in the next couple years, and it already struggles with some games on ultra settings. 1440p is quite popular these days, and you're handcuffing yourself by not spending a little more to get a card that will actually last. For literally the same price, you can get an R9 280X that can do 1440p on medium settings: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150678. Hell, I'm offering to sell you my R9 290 for the same price. The only reason you've even been able to stick it out with your current video card for 5 years is because your Radeon 4870 was 1 notch below the top end card when you got it, but the 760 is most definitely NOT that.

The game is a worthless addition because it's an Nvidia promotion - literally any current model Nvidia or AMD card will come with free games. If you're dead set on getting a 760, that's fine. It's a good mainstream card, but that assumes you're paying $230, not $260.

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:02 on May 28, 2014

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

I don't mean to sound pushy. I'm just not seeing what you're saying.

When I look at the GTX 760 / Radeon r9 270x level on pcpartpicker, the 760 in a good model seems to be around $250. The 270x in a good model seems to be around $200. The 760 is throwing in a $60 game, which I don't own, while the 270x throws in some older games that I already own, so they come out roughly even in price. I don't have any huge nvidia vs amd opinion.

I'm not seeing how $250 is a bad value for that?

edit: I'm not too interested in a used card, thank you, though.

edit2: I thought you guys were arguing 760 vs 270x, not 760/270x vs the next level card.

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 03:10 on May 28, 2014

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

The card you linked is a 760, not a 770, a 280X is certainly not $200 but if it was then you should certainly buy it. You are losing me.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Crap, had too many links open. I meant the tier below that, 760/270x. Corrected my post.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bobulus posted:

Crap, had too many links open. I meant the tier below that, 760/270x. Corrected my post.
$250 is the MSRP for a 760. $230 is the street price.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Ok yes... so bottom line, if you pay $250 for the 2-fan EVGA 760, you are making an ok choice for 1080p gaming. The way the argument works out for the other options is as such: the 270x is a bit below or equal to the 760 in performance but quite a bit cheaper. The 280 (non-X) is equal to or above the 760 in performance but about the same price. EVGA does have good support and a good warranty, so the price premium could be worth it. So you are choosing going sub $200 for the 270x and keep an eye on upgrading when new stuff comes out, choose the 760 and be fine for a while, or go for the 280 and be comfortable longer. The bundled games can factor in of course. The prices for the 760 are creeping down due to all the competition. Competition is high right now in video cards and this is a good thing!

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Okay, I think I finally understand what you guys are saying. It looks like the one I linked is $260 because it's slightly overclocked. Compared to this MSI

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DIH8OUK/?tag=pcpapi-20

that isn't overclocked and is $240.

edit: and while I was typing that, pcpricepicker updated it's pricing and this 4gb one is down to $229 after rebate:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n760tf4gd5oc

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 03:37 on May 28, 2014

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

I believe that MSI design with the two fans is one of the best in terms for noise/cooling but I'm a little foggy on that. You may be able to overclock it to match the EVGA one but in turn, you would probably be able to push the EVGA one even a bit further.

edit: Looking at the specs, that second MSI card you linked actually is already clocked higher than the EVGA one you linked earlier.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Yeah, that second MSI one seems like a real decent deal. More video ram, slightly higher clockspeed, and a lower price. It's not pricematched on Amazon so I can't get prime shipping, but it might be worth a few extra days wait for the difference...

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

The MSI 760 is the best 760 by any metric, and you can dial in the overclock yourself.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Alright. Going to bite the bullet and go with that one. Thanks for talking me down from buying the first card. :)

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Bobulus posted:

Alright. Going to bite the bullet and go with that one. Thanks for talking me down from buying the first card. :)
I actually prefer Newegg these days since I get free 2 day shipping with ShopRunner, though I recall their shipping being really fast even without. Bonus is that they aren't collecting sales tax in my state while Amazon is. I think you'll be happy with the decision.

Even if you didn't buy my 290 :p

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 03:54 on May 28, 2014

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Dr Cheeto posted:

The prodigy is also pretty huge for an ITX case. I'm rocking one now and, while it offers a large amount of flexibility, I absolutely hate how large its footprint is and honestly I'd sooner recommend someone just go mATX and grab a Fractal Design Arc Mini.

for a single gpu system I still think the prodigy offers better cooling potential than any other non full tower on the market...it's flat out better than any mATX case, most of which are limited to 120mm fans.

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Virtue posted:

About to pull the trigger on my first build. Would love someone to check my work so I don't make any costly mistakes.
I'm using two monitors right now and will likely upgrade to three. As far as usage goes I'm looking to do some 1080p gaming, video editing, maybe streaming, and some scientific computing (think MATLAB, ROOT, or compiled languages).

Specific comments:

I wanted a case that would be easy to work with since this is my first build. I checked around some reviews and decided on this one.

How's the power supply I chose? I'm not sure what to look for in a power supply so I picked one that was recommended.

Since I got a MSI motherboard should I get a MSI graphics card (like this one) as well? Is there a significant difference between brands?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($345.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Arc Midi R2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($119.59 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1287.40
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-27 19:29 EDT-0400)

Nobody's responded to this yet, but that's because you appear to have done everything right the first time. There's no need to match manufacturers between motherboard and graphics card unless you really like a specific company and want to give them your money. The power supply is a very solid choice. I don't have experience with the case, but I believe it's thread recommended. I was a cheap bastard who went with the $50 200R and it was very easy to work with.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Virtue posted:

About to pull the trigger on my first build. Would love someone to check my work so I don't make any costly mistakes.
I'm using two monitors right now and will likely upgrade to three. As far as usage goes I'm looking to do some 1080p gaming, video editing, maybe streaming, and some scientific computing (think MATLAB, ROOT, or compiled languages).

Specific comments:

I wanted a case that would be easy to work with since this is my first build. I checked around some reviews and decided on this one.

How's the power supply I chose? I'm not sure what to look for in a power supply so I picked one that was recommended.

Since I got a MSI motherboard should I get a MSI graphics card (like this one) as well? Is there a significant difference between brands?

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($30.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($345.91 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic G 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1287.40
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-27 19:29 EDT-0400)

Corsair cases are the gold standard for 'easy to work in'. Something like an obsidian 350d or 450d. Your motherboard brand makes no difference in what brand of graphics card you buy, but I would suggest going MSI anyhow because they have the quietest cooler right now.

Doomay
Jan 16, 2008
I'm looking to upgrade my 5-6~ year old computer to something a little more modern. Looking to mostly use it for minor work things and games. Not really into overclocking type stuff. These are the parts I'm currently looking at based off advice in the OP and some stuff my friend has picked out:

CPU: Intel Core i5 I5-4590 ($225)
Motherboard: ASUS H97M-E/CSM mATX LGA1150 H97 DDR3 Motherboard ($110)
Memory: Kingston 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($97)
Power Supply: EVGA Supernova NEX750B 750W ($80)

I am currently wanting to re-use these parts if possible:
Case: Antec Sonata III Black (The Power Supply is loud as poo poo so I would like to replace it with the quieter one above)
GPU: ZOTAC GeForce GTX 650 Ti 2GB

I built my old computer and that's pretty much the extent of my experience with this kind of thing, so I'm not sure if any of these parts conflict, fit right or anything like that.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

As a former owner of the Sonata 2 and 3, it's time to move on. I personally went with a Corsair Carbide 200R and there are so many little quality of life improvements. You can route cables behind the motherboard tray, the hard drive bays are way better designed, front USB 3.0 ports, the case seems quieter even though the cooling is a lot better.

That's just what I did though, just about any good case now will have all that stuff. A lot of people are moving to mATX cases as well, save yourself some room and still easy to work with.

I'm not crazy about that power supply. Any reason you are choosing that one?

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

The Lord Bude posted:

Corsair cases are the gold standard for 'easy to work in'. Something like an obsidian 350d or 450d.

I searched on pcpartpicker for corsair obsidian but only saw 700D and 800D pop up. I located the 350D on newegg here but I'm worried about possible compatibility issues with everything fitting in the case nicely. Since I don't have pcpartpicker to check if everything will fit, what should I look for besides gpu length?

Updated part list after swapping out the GPU:

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.03 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card ($329.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1272.52
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-28 00:01 EDT-0400)

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Bobulus posted:

Yeah, that second MSI one seems like a real decent deal. More video ram, slightly higher clockspeed, and a lower price. It's not pricematched on Amazon so I can't get prime shipping, but it might be worth a few extra days wait for the difference...

If it interests you, SA mart has a like new 770 for what you were about to pay for a 760. I can vouch for it's condition because... it's mine :angel:, however you don't have PM's so just an FYI there is good stuff in SA mart

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Sorry, already bought the 760. Good luck, though.

Doomay
Jan 16, 2008

beejay posted:

As a former owner of the Sonata 2 and 3, it's time to move on. I personally went with a Corsair Carbide 200R and there are so many little quality of life improvements. You can route cables behind the motherboard tray, the hard drive bays are way better designed, front USB 3.0 ports, the case seems quieter even though the cooling is a lot better.

That's just what I did though, just about any good case now will have all that stuff. A lot of people are moving to mATX cases as well, save yourself some room and still easy to work with.

I'm not crazy about that power supply. Any reason you are choosing that one?

Thanks, I'll look into newer cases. My friend picked out the power supply, so I'm open to recommendations!

Peanut3141
Oct 30, 2009

Virtue posted:

I searched on pcpartpicker for corsair obsidian but only saw 700D and 800D pop up. I located the 350D on newegg here but I'm worried about possible compatibility issues with everything fitting in the case nicely. Since I don't have pcpartpicker to check if everything will fit, what should I look for besides gpu length?

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($57.03 @ Amazon)

Here's the link to the 350D: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011028ww

It has front USB ports, which your MB has the header for.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Virtue posted:

Not too big of a deal but why not get this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n770tf2gd5oc ? It's $10 cheaper on Amazon and has a way better cooler.

Edit: Both cases will fit everything you have, but besides the aesthetics being different on the Design Arc, I'd pay the lower price for the 350d.

DAMN NIGGA fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 28, 2014

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Peanut3141 posted:

Here's the link to the 350D: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-case-cc9011028ww

It has front USB ports, which your MB has the header for.
Thanks! I'll probably use this one.

drat NIGGA posted:

Not too big of a deal but why not get this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/msi-video-card-n770tf2gd5oc ? It's $10 cheaper on Amazon and has a way better cooler.

Honestly I had no idea what the difference was. I heard MSI so I looked for MSI and picked one.

fookolt
Mar 13, 2012

Where there is power
There is resistance
I'm surprised this isn't in the OP...What is the current recommended way to apply thermal paste to a CPU? Just a tiny dot in the center?

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

fookolt posted:

I'm surprised this isn't in the OP...What is the current recommended way to apply thermal paste to a CPU? Just a tiny dot in the center?

Yeah, size of a grain of rice or a tiny rear end pea.

Pastry Mistakes
Apr 6, 2009

Apeshit Sixfingers posted:

So I think I've got a final build in mind for my PC. I'm looking to game, stream media, and run Adobe suite heavily.

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($219.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus H97-PLUS ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($144.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Red 3TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($124.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 770 2GB DirectCU II Video Card ($326.71 @ Amazon)
Case: Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Wireless Network Adapter: Intel 62205ANHMWDTX1 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($33.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1337.60
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-05-26 15:34 EDT-0400)

I do have some questions though:
1. I'm not toally sold on this wireless adapter. Would getting a Powerline be better?

2a. Without any reviews to go off of, I'm hesitant about the mobo. Would it be safer to just grab an h87 board and update the bios so the haswell refresh chip will work?
2b. Is m.2/esata really worth the speed increase on the X97 boards? Faster is always better, but I just don't know if this is overrated or not.
2c. Speaking of overrated, are the ROG Asus boards really all they're hyped up to be? I see things like "Will make your cpu 20% faster!", "RAMDisk is 20x faster than SSD!", and "Better mobo cooling!" a lot. I know without a K processor I'm not going to take advantage of certain things, but what about the other features?

3. I know the i5 4590 is preferred, but the 4690 I've chosen is only $20 more for a stock 3.5ghz/turbo 3.9ghz. The i5 4590 only reaches 3.3ghz/3.7ghz. Other than that though they appear exactly the same. Am I ever going to notice the .2ghz increase in gaming or photoshop?

No one gave me an answer :(
I'm seriously ready to pull the triggeron this build, I just want a secondopinion before I blow all my money.

Kurvi Tasch
Oct 13, 2012

Thats von Derp for you!

The Time Dissolver posted:

I'm considering a new wireless adapter, as my current one is a fickle little turd that loses signal for no reason at least twice a day. Can anyone recommend me one they've had good luck with, or are there at least some red flags I should watch for when picking one out?

Get the Intel Centrino that's linked in the OP. I have the previous model and it's rock-solid.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
After my OS is already installed, is there any way in a Z87-A BIOS or Win 7 Pro to add more hard drives and RAID them? I'm considering 1+0 with SSD's.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
So I'm about to embark on my first build. I'm happy with the specs that I've got (including a few items left over from my last compy which I plan to replace later in the year), but is there anything I should get other than the items in the OP such as CPU coolant, specific screwdrivers etc?

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist

Rather Dashing posted:

So I'm about to embark on my first build. I'm happy with the specs that I've got (including a few items left over from my last compy which I plan to replace later in the year), but is there anything I should get other than the items in the OP such as CPU coolant, specific screwdrivers etc?

Phillips head screwdriver is all you need. Maybe an anti-static wristband if you're paranoid. You don't need extra thermal compound, the CPU cooler will come with some.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
E: oops

• Locked thread