Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I don't really have any opinions on the game other than that I liked the Wolf3D easter egg most of all but I did laugh during the reveal of the ancient technology of the Jwemer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broose
Oct 28, 2007

PAnick posted:

Kampfhund 1960 (kh60)

These things has such cute idle animations which I'm not sure right now if they made it into the game. Might make some gifs otherwise.

Please do! All I've seen of them is either sleeping, or running at me to chew my face off.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The Joe Man posted:

I don't really have any opinions on the game other than that I liked the Wolf3D easter egg most of all but I did laugh during the reveal of the ancient technology of the Jwemer.

Still undecided over whether I prefer that over eldritch horrors.

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

gently caress it, go full The Saboteur and make is a big open world to boot. Wolfen Creed.

Seriously, this needs to happen. The Saboteur, but with BJ in the Nazi 1960s.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe
PAnick I know you didn't design the knives, but maybe you can answer this anyway. Are the nazi knives supposed to be switch blades? They look like they have some sort of mechanism on them to retract the blade.

I finished Wyatt's story line, and J dropping acid with BJ, and later rocking the gently caress out of downtown Berlin were both pretty awesome. At least until the man shut him down.

I also noticed a little detail this time around when you're riding the tram on the moon, if look down at BJ's hands he's tapping along with the music.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I just received a $50 gift card to Best Buy...is this worth it? Watch_dogs appears to be pretty underwhelming, so I'm looking for something else to spend it on. Convince me!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Having played both Wolfenstein has more killing nazis and stabbing where Watch_Dogs has some hacking use buttons smeared inadequately over tedious driving and terrible shooting. Wolfenstein also beenfits from a tight and interesting narrative, where Watch_Dogs is a terrible revenge story.

To further the shooting nazis in the head cause: Wolfenstein has several sex scenes that are more or less explicit, Watch_Dogs has this hacker girl with tattoos but I don't think she'll get her tits out.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The Joe Man posted:

I thought it was kind of funny that Set Roth outright says he doesn't believe in supernatural poo poo, when BJ and Caroline are in the room. They both literally witnessed it with their own eyes, and BJ personally used it to murder about a thousand Nazis in the previous game. Set Roth saying he doesn't believe in the supernatural is kind of like saying he doesn't believe in gravity at that point.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Xenomrph posted:

I thought it was kind of funny that Set Roth outright says he doesn't believe in supernatural poo poo, when BJ and Caroline are in the room. They both literally witnessed it with their own eyes, and BJ personally used it to murder about a thousand Nazis in the previous game. Set Roth saying he doesn't believe in the supernatural is kind of like saying he doesn't believe in gravity at that point.

It makes it funny to me, absurd to the point of hilarity. I can imagine Set hand-waving away the black sun as some kind of pseudo science words for another kind of energy source. :haw:

Ending question for you guys, after talking about it on ts3 i figure'd i'd ask here: Deathshead has a "not a german stick grenade." there, where'd he get it? What kind of Grenade is it?
Sorry my understanding of weapons is limited so i dont recognise the type of grenade at all and im wondering if its a clever. Like he nabbed a spherical grenade off an attacker and kept it as a trophy or something.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."
I heard there's a bit early in the game where there's an old rusty car that you can get into and BJ will make pretend car noises. I've been keeping an eye open for cars everywhere, I'm now at the London Nautica and still not encountered it. Have I missed it, or is it actually a bit later in the game than I was led to believe?

Isaacs Alter Ego
Sep 18, 2007

Finished this game; I am left with two thoughts.

1. BJ can't die. He's basically the Doomguy but in 1945/1960. If there's an expansion DLC or anything like that I really hope it reveals he just went and hauled himself up outta the castle 'cause there was more Nazi killin' he hasn't done yet. That or he could just fight his way outta hell by killing all the nazis he already killed again.

2. There was no Hitler for the entire game. I was disappointed in that, and every time I went to a new, more final-y area than the last, I kept expecting it, but no. Never happened. Maybe for a DLC or something.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
We got a nice surprise yesterday

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Xenomrph posted:

In all fairness, Wolf 09 used the veil as an explanation for it's weird magic stuff and as the Arthur C Clarke quote says: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Isaacs Alter Ego posted:

Finished this game; I am left with two thoughts.

1. BJ can't die. He's basically the Doomguy but in 1945/1960. If there's an expansion DLC or anything like that I really hope it reveals he just went and hauled himself up outta the castle 'cause there was more Nazi killin' he hasn't done yet. That or he could just fight his way outta hell by killing all the nazis he already killed again.

There was a clear narrative of we're getting too old for this war throughout the game so I can totally imagine B.J actually being dead and becoming a mythical figure in the ongoing resistance.

Monster w21 Faces fucked around with this message at 10:57 on May 28, 2014

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

your evil twin posted:

I heard there's a bit early in the game where there's an old rusty car that you can get into and BJ will make pretend car noises. I've been keeping an eye open for cars everywhere, I'm now at the London Nautica and still not encountered it. Have I missed it, or is it actually a bit later in the game than I was led to believe?

It's actually in the third mission. In that big room where you activate the gate for the car. In the back room where the officer is standing is the broken down car

VVVV Beaten like a nazi in a basement :smug:

Amebx fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 28, 2014

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

your evil twin posted:

I think it was a bit earlier than that, during the sequence where you're clearing a path for the car with Anya's grandparents.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 11:21 on May 28, 2014

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Thyrork posted:

Ending question for you guys, after talking about it on ts3 i figure'd i'd ask here: Deathshead has a "not a german stick grenade." there, where'd he get it? What kind of Grenade is it?
Sorry my understanding of weapons is limited so i dont recognise the type of grenade at all and im wondering if its a clever. Like he nabbed a spherical grenade off an attacker and kept it as a trophy or something.

Not every German grenade was the potato masher type.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_39_grenade

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Anti-Hero posted:

I just received a $50 gift card to Best Buy...is this worth it? Watch_dogs appears to be pretty underwhelming, so I'm looking for something else to spend it on. Convince me!

Read the thread, then realize only NAZI SCUM don't own this game. GET PSYCHED

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

To further the shooting nazis in the head cause: Wolfenstein has several sex scenes that are more or less explicit, Watch_Dogs has this hacker girl with tattoos but I don't think she'll get her tits out.

This is a joke, right?

But yeah Wolfenstein offers you dualwielding automatic shotguns with a flak-cannon secondary and lots of nazis to splatter with it. And some pretty cool characters to go with it. The shooting is A+ and some of the levels will really amaze you. The soundtrack owns bones.

Only problem with Wolfenstein: TNO is that the pacing is kinda weird at times. Sometimes it feels like the game is controlling you, instead of the other way around. Sometimes it feels like you go from action-to-cutscene repeatedly and it slows down too much, or puts you in limited situations. I would've prefered if the game did like Half-Life and never took control away from you. But that is the price to pay for a tighter narrative i guess.

On the upside it does show just how cruel the nazis are. It's a much more provoking game than you might expect.

Overall it's a great game. If you like shooters then GET PSYCHED!

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Triggsz posted:

This is a joke, right?

On the upside it does show just how cruel the nazis are. It's a much more provoking game than you might expect.

No joke.

In a part of 'the nazis are evil itself' you are marched towards a gas chamber and only make it because Bubi likes your aryan features.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

PAnick posted:

We got a nice surprise yesterday

I hope that's a sign that like Arkane, Machinegames is now one of the Bethesda/Zenimax prime dev houses thanks to fantastic sales of Wolfenstein. :colbert:

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

Boiled Water posted:

No joke.

In a part of 'the nazis are evil itself' you are marched towards a gas chamber and only make it because Bubi likes your aryan features.

Man, gently caress you :v:

Furthermore: In the same level you get put into an oven with a bunch of emacipated corpses. It was pretty ballsy of MG to put this stuff in.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Triggsz posted:

It really was. Plus the Nazi's genuinely buy into the fact that they are the good guys in their minds, another nice touch. Further reinforced by Deathheads intercom calls on the final level.

So, any good sources for the entire soundtrack? I dont really want the covers, i want that final level's music amongst others. :getin:

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

It's up on spotify. You can find them on youtube aswell. Ransacked, Der Mond, and Herr Faust (kinda repetitive but it fits so well into the theme of the nazi war machines) are some of the best ones.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 12:27 on May 28, 2014

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Anti-Hero posted:

This game is not worth full price, get it when it hits the bargain bin.

It is benefiting hugely from being the better one of the only two big games that have been released recently.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
Alright, you guys have convinced me. Since I'll be buying a physical PC copy can you guys tell me whether it requires Steam or not? I'm hoping for the former.

superh
Oct 10, 2007

Touching every treasure
I found it to be absolutely worth full price. Fun shooting and a smart story. Especially if you're spending gift card money!

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Anti-Hero posted:

Alright, you guys have convinced me. Since I'll be buying a physical PC copy can you guys tell me whether it requires Steam or not? I'm hoping for the former.

It requires Steam. Has steam achievements and all that stuff.

(Also, even once you have spent an hour installing it from the 4 DVDs it will need to download a 10gb patch. Totally worth it, though.)

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

Anti-Hero posted:

It requires Steam like Rage did. If you're in the UK it's only £25 on PC from Tesco.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

spudsbuckley posted:

It is benefiting hugely from being the better one of the only two big games that have been released recently.
Not really no, it's one of the best FPS games since Bulletstorm in a lot of different ways. :shrug:

I can rarely if ever justify spending $60 on a pc game in the year of our lord 2014, but this spur of the moment purchase was totally worth it.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

Speaking of Rage i'm currently replaying it with the Scorcher DLC. And i keep wishing it had a lean function like TNO does. It's probably the best lean i've ever used.

Something just hit me. You could actually make DLC for TNO that takes place during the actual story. For example if they were to add more moon missions or whatever. B.J suffers from several memory blackouts, like Strasse's scene at the beginning of the game doesn't show everything that occured. At the end of the game they include additional scenes. DLC that fills in the blanks (or even manipulates reality) so to speak.

Dunno if someone has already talked about this.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there any more levels that are as frustrating as the end of the bridge/train level? gently caress that level.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

Triggsz posted:

This is a joke, right?

God I hope so, hacker girl tits is way better than Blazkowicz's incest fantasy with his girlfriend he literally calls mother.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Laserface posted:

Is there any more levels that are as frustrating as the end of the bridge/train level? gently caress that level.

The next to last level instantly sticks you in a situation with a million dudes and a few shotgun heavies with no cover, so yes.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

Toadsniff posted:

God I hope so, hacker girl tits is way better than Blazkowicz's incest fantasy with his girlfriend he literally calls mother.

I was gonna make a joke about how in the old days Blazkowicz only love was for dead nazis but then i realized that is even worse.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

:goonsay: Blazko's use of the word "motherfucker" in 1960 is entirely anachronistic, as the word was only known in African-American vernacular until the 1980's.

Something that always amuses me is how some things are absorbed into the mainstream, and then people forget that they ever weren't. Bagels were pretty exclusively a Jewish thing until the 1970's. "Badass" was like "motherfucker", only known to African-Americans before the 1980's. "Meh" was invented by The Simpsons.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

spudsbuckley posted:

I think it is a decent game, but what started off as a great game kind of devolved into some awful FPS tropes. Also, the story is seems like it is trying to say something meaningful but it comes off goofy and ultimately is pretty trite. But the actual gunplay and stealth? That is pretty loving awesome.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Laserface posted:

What's wrong/frustrating about it? I just aced some dudes with the turret on the chopper then dual rpg'd the rest.

Raften
May 20, 2007
Cognates! They stay crunchy, even in milk!

Raften posted:

I got the game on pc, and I'm pretty disappointed with how it runs. Even with every goofy "Upgrade to the 14.4 drivers but don't update CCC" trick the game still runs at an almost unplayable framerate. I could technically play it, but it wouldn't be any fun. I'm using a radeon hd 6850 if anyone's curious.

Quoting myself to say that switching to the x32 exe fixed my framerate issues completely. The game doesn't take a full minute to launch, and its not running at 10 fps anymore.

This thread runs through the method to run it

I don't know if updating to the new ATI 14.6 beta drivers did anything since I installed them before I switched the .exe, but I would probably not recommend it since installing it caused my computer to BSOD the first time I tried to.

Edit: I went from running at all low settings at 720p to running at high at 1080p.

Raften fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 28, 2014

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Triggsz posted:

Furthermore: In the same level you get put into an oven with a bunch of emacipated corpses. It was pretty ballsy of MG to put this stuff in.

One of the more disturbing things from that level is the steady rain of ash that's coming down whenever you're outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General China
Aug 19, 2012

by Smythe

DStecks posted:

:goonsay: Blazko's use of the word "motherfucker" in 1960 is entirely anachronistic, as the word was only known in African-American vernacular until the 1980's.

Something that always amuses me is how some things are absorbed into the mainstream, and then people forget that they ever weren't. Bagels were pretty exclusively a Jewish thing until the 1970's. "Badass" was like "motherfucker", only known to African-Americans before the 1980's. "Meh" was invented by The Simpsons.

The word motherfucker ( well motherfugger ) is used several times in Norman Mailers 1948 novel the Naked and the Dead, which is about world war 2. Then theres the 1960s anarchist political group Up Against The Wall Motherfuckers who were mostly if not all white. They are the only 2 examples I can think of from the top of my head but theres bound to be more.

I find the games use of subtitles for the Scottish guy more annoying. They don't subtitle anybody else speaking English, even when they use Yiddish, why the hatred for Scots?

• Locked thread