Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How dumb was pushing back the draft?
This poll is closed.
Really dumb 58 11.09%
95 18.16%
121 23.14%
Too much mustard 249 47.61%
Total: 523 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

zimbomonkey posted:

What kind of offense am I running? Or am I choosing the offense based on the QB I choose?

You can choose the offense based on the QB.

old dog child posted:

It's Cutler by a looooong mile

Why do you feel it would be Cutler by so much?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Say you had to choose between Mike Vike or White Mike Vick?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
White Mike Vick would have fought teenage mutant ninja turtles, not dogs sooooooo

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Shath Hole posted:

Cutler gets some weird hate some times but he has, in my opinion, the strongest arm in the history of the NFL, or at least one of the strongest.

In addition he's a highly accomplished QB that's asked to make a variety of throws, can pinpoint deep balls which is unheard of with the velocity he has, and can go through his progressions seamlessly.

The better question would be would you rather have Alex Smith or Teddy Bridgewater, or Alex Smith or Manziel. That's tougher because you have to figure what Alex Smith brings to the table as an accomplished starter who won't usually gently caress up a game versus unknown potential.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008
Are we talking about for the same price? Because Smith's agent is dreaming, he's going to get 12-14 per year, no one will give him more than that unless he wins MVP next year. At 12 million I would think it is pretty close and might take Alex due to durability.

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

Doltos posted:

Cutler gets some weird hate some times but he has, in my opinion, the strongest arm in the history of the NFL, or at least one of the strongest.

In addition he's a highly accomplished QB that's asked to make a variety of throws, can pinpoint deep balls which is unheard of with the velocity he has, and can go through his progressions seamlessly.

The better question would be would you rather have Alex Smith or Teddy Bridgewater, or Alex Smith or Manziel. That's tougher because you have to figure what Alex Smith brings to the table as an accomplished starter who won't usually gently caress up a game versus unknown potential.

Nice breakdown of him. I've never heard anything like this other than he has a strong arm.

How much control of the offense is he allowed under Trestman's scheme?

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Everybody here overvalues Cutler by a lot. He's a cool dude and makes dumb people angry but he's pretty much the definition of middle of the pack. Add to that his injury concerns over the past few years and its not as clear as you guys are making it out to be. I'm not saying I'd necessarily take Smith, but its a close thing.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Doltos posted:

Not disagreeing with that point, but I would question the "highly accomplished" part. No doubt he has all the physical tools, but he makes a lot of really, really dumb plays "franchise QBs" should not be making.

To clarify, I'm not saying I would take Smith over him, but for me it wouldn't be a clear cut decision either way.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

A Pale Horse posted:

Everybody here overvalues Cutler by a lot. He's a cool dude and makes dumb people angry but he's pretty much the definition of middle of the pack. Add to that his injury concerns over the past few years and its not as clear as you guys are making it out to be. I'm not saying I'd necessarily take Smith, but its a close thing.

Shath Hole posted:

Not disagreeing with that point, but I would question the "highly accomplished" part. No doubt he has all the physical tools, but he makes a lot of really, really dumb plays "franchise QBs" should not be making.

To clarify, I'm not saying I would take Smith over him, but for me it wouldn't be a clear cut decision either way.

You're both right. Cutler also does a lot of bone headed plays and he does have injury concerns. He is kind of middle of the pack, but we are also in a really privileged age of QBs where arguably the 1A and 1B of QBs of all time are playing right now. After that you have phenomenal QBs that would be regarded as the top tier if Peyton and Brady never played the game.

But the question is would you rather have Cutler or Smith, and I'd definitely put Smith way behind Cutler without even a question to it. Cutler can do everything Smith can and more, and they're both about as good as each other in a game manager situation.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Alex has a supportive and hot wife

Aaaaaaarrrrrggggg
Oct 4, 2004

ha, ha, ha, og me ekam

Shath Hole posted:

Just out of curiosity, you are the GM of a franchise and have two quarterbacks to choose from. Jay Cutler and Alex Smith. Who do you choose?

gently caress the Bears forever and ever, amen, but the answer is clearly Cutler.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Shath Hole posted:

Cutler can do anything Alex Smith can do but Smith can't do the same things as Cutler.

I hate that injury concerns thing. It's football, everybody is an injury concern.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
The answer is one Handsome Matthew Stafford.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

old dog child posted:

Cutler can do anything Alex Smith can do but Smith can't do the same things as Cutler.

I hate that injury concerns thing. It's football, everybody is an injury concern.

Let me ask a different question.

You can start 1 QB (Cutler or Smith) for a playoff run. Does that change anything?

vvv

He wasn't even the best QB on the Bears last season...

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I've watched Cutler put up points with a WR core of Hester, Knox(RIP) and Bennett. I've seen Cutler play and fight through getting sacked the most out of any player in the league over a 3-4 year span. He had receivers running the wrong routes and took poo poo for being injured and had everything about him questioned.

I saw him throw a 50 yard back shoulder pass on a loving line, He is full stop the best Quarterback to ever put on a Bears Jersey(High Praise I know).

He occasionally does stupid things, But I have faith in Cutler putting a team on his back and dragging a lovely defense to wins, than I do having Alex Smith doing the same thing.

Shath Hole posted:

You can start 1 QB (Cutler or Smith) for a playoff run. Does that change anything?

On a playoff caliber team?

Cutler easy, Cutler only has had one year where he was on an offense that was above league average, 2013. Before last year it was Cutler and Forte vs the world. Mike Tice was a loving idiot offensive coordinator.

And He still either would have made the playoffs(He got injured but would have been back were it not for Caleb Hanie and Marion Barber), or had a terrible goddamn defense(last year), or a Mike Tice lead offense...

Dexo fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 28, 2014

zimbomonkey
Jul 15, 2008

Tattoos? On MY black quarterback?

Shath Hole posted:

You can choose the offense based on the QB.

I like the mobility that Smith brings. I'm going Smith.

Maybe not necessarily the better player, but I prefer his scheme to a straight up vertical attack.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

old dog child posted:

He can't do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3szXpKYCVo

And he can't throw less than 14 interceptions a season.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Pron on VHS posted:

Alex has a supportive and hot wife

Don't break my heart Elizabeth, you know you want 15+mil a year

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Matthew Stafford is good at throwing the football, both to his team and the others. What a swell guy.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Matthew Stafford is good at throwing the football, both to his team and the others. What a swell guy.

Sharing is caring!

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Cutler is mobile as poo poo though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48pQbggAcD0

Get hosed Son(Don't do that with your throwing shoulder tho Cutty).

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Dexo posted:

Cutler easy, Cutler only has had one year where he was on an offense that was above league average, 2013. Before last year it was Cutler and Forte vs the world. Mike Tice was a loving idiot offensive coordinator.

And He still either would have made the playoffs(He got injured but would have been back were it not for Caleb Hanie and Marion Barber), or had a terrible goddamn defense(last year), or a Mike Tice lead offense...

Compared to the offensive juggernaut's Alex Smith has been a part of?

Dexo posted:

Cutler is mobile as poo poo though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=48pQbggAcD0

Get hosed Son(Don't do that with your throwing shoulder tho Cutty).

Oh god this play. FB blew up after this play. Cutler has 4 inches and like 25 pounds on Golden. That really isn't that impressive of a play other than a QB actively seeking contact which I will admit is pretty bad rear end.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Detroit_Dogg posted:

No one here is questioning the handsomeness or fair-mindedness of Matthew Stafford here Dogg.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Shath Hole posted:

vvv

He wasn't even the best QB on the Bears last season...

A) you're dumb or a troll if you're seriously arguing for McCown

B) I'd still take Cutler.

A Pale Horse posted:

He can't do this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3szXpKYCVo

And he can't throw less than 14 interceptions a season.

I really don't want to put any effort to argue (via youtube/stats). Sorry but I don't care that much. :3: So I'll just say this: Cutler can run (he does it pretty much every game) and his interceptions are directly related to the fact that he actually throws the ball more often and further than Smith. Alex Smith never has that opportunity because JC is his best receiver- and I know his receivers suck but they aren't trash. He just never throws it.

3 DONG HORSE fucked around with this message at 19:34 on May 28, 2014

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Do you want Bad Quarterback, Other Bad Quarterback, or Future Hall of Famer Matthew Stafford?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

old dog child posted:

A) you're dumb or a troll if you're seriously arguing for McCown

B) I'd still take Cutler.

I really don't want to grab a bunch of stats and youtube videos to show you why you're wrong. The interceptions is directly related to how often and far he throws it. Smith never has an opportunity to even cause an interception because JC is his best receiver.

A) I'm neither and was not arguing for McCown...however, I really don't want to grab a bunch of stats and youtube videos to show you why he (McCown) was (better).

B) It's cool. I was just curious.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Shath Hole posted:

A) I'm neither and was not arguing for McCown...however, I really don't want to grab a bunch of stats and youtube videos to show you why he (McCown) was (better).

B) It's cool. I was just curious.

You ARE arguing for him. Don't forget to include the lovely teams he was playing when you try to convince me tia

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

Shath Hole posted:

please do so because i'm curious now :)

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

old dog child posted:

You ARE arguing for him. Don't forget to include the lovely teams he was playing when you try to convince me tia

I'm not. McCown had the better season last year...that really shouldn't be news to anyone :confused:

You were arguing stats, if you want to compare stats, McCown had the better season.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Ah yes, McCown running a train on the vaunted Redskins and Cowboys defense, and losing every other game means that he was the savior of the Bears.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

Shath Hole posted:

I'm not. McCown had the better season last year...that really shouldn't be news to anyone :confused:

Prove it! Alex Smith vs Cutler is one thing (and I can see why someone would pick Smith) but McCown? Come on, man. He played lovely teams each time he started. Did you get super excited when Kirk Cousins had that one game?

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

old dog child posted:

Prove it! Alex Smith vs Cutler is one thing (and I can see why someone would pick Smith) but McCown? Come on, man. He played lovely teams each time he started.

Year Team G QBRat Comp Att Pct Yds Y/G Y/A TD Int

2013 Chi 8 109.0 149 224 66.5 1829 228.6 8.2 13 1

2013 Chi 11 89.2 224 355 63.1 2621 238.3 7.4 19 12

Is that claim really that outlandish?

e: Ugh, this is turning into me looking like I would take McCown over Cutler, which :lol: I would not. I only brought it up because you referenced statistics, and looking at those stats, one could make the argument McCown had the better season*.

*Does not mean he is the better QB jesus christ people.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Shath Hole posted:

You were arguing stats, if you want to compare stats, McCown had the better season.

Stats without context are pointless.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Do you want Matthew Stafford, Matthew Stafford made of lunchmeats, or Matthew Stafford made out of fancy cake stuff?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

All I want to say is Alex Smith and McCown combined to lead offenses that dropped over 40 points each on Washington last year.

Christian Ponder managed only 34.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Do you want Matthew Stafford, Matthew Stafford made of lunchmeats, or Matthew Stafford made out of fancy cake stuff?

cake stuff, no loving contest. Why would you bring up any other Stafford.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Yeah, McCown is so good he's probably going to lose out to Glennon as the Bucs day one starter despite being brought in specifically to start. A few good games in an otherwise poo poo career does not inspire confidence.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

A Pale Horse posted:

Yeah, McCown is so good he's probably going to lose out to Glennon as the Bucs day one starter despite being brought in specifically to start. A few good games in an otherwise poo poo career does not inspire confidence.

It does for me :dance:

v

Now who is trolling? :v:

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
I'd rather have all of them over Matt Ryan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Marketing New Brain posted:

Are we talking about for the same price? Because Smith's agent is dreaming, he's going to get 12-14 per year, no one will give him more than that unless he wins MVP next year. At 12 million I would think it is pretty close and might take Alex due to durability.

There was also no way the 49ers were getting more than a fourth for Alex Smith. What I'm saying is I fully expect KC to end up giving him at least 16 million a year, I'm just hoping they keep it close to that.

Kalli posted:

All I want to say is Alex Smith and McCown combined to lead offenses that dropped over 40 points each on Washington last year.

Christian Ponder managed only 34.

Alex lead the special teams more than the defense to those points against Washington. No one saw that game because everyone was watching the Philly/Detroit snow bowl but it was one of the more amazingly terrible special teams displays I've ever seen, even by Washington's standards.

• Locked thread