Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

General China posted:

The word motherfucker ( well motherfugger ) is used several times in Norman Mailers 1948 novel the Naked and the Dead, which is about world war 2. Then theres the 1960s anarchist political group Up Against The Wall Motherfuckers who were mostly if not all white. They are the only 2 examples I can think of from the top of my head but theres bound to be more.

I find the games use of subtitles for the Scottish guy more annoying. They don't subtitle anybody else speaking English, even when they use Yiddish, why the hatred for Scots?

Scots aren't human. Anything they say is unintelligible and foreign. :colbert:

Being honest though, I had no idea what Fergus was saying for like half the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!
One thing i hated about your allies in Wolf09 was that everyone was either a cardboard cutout, or lining up to suck your dick constantly. "Oh good job Blazcowicz mein freund you really gave ze nazis a kicking, it is gut you are here" etc all the loving time. It made me wanna poo poo all over their friendly loving faces. I could gripe about that game endlessly. Such a shame cause i expected better from Raven.

TNO did a better job. The resistance feels alot more like a bunch of different people who wouldn't normally be friends having to work together. It feels more convincing.

RTCW lacked allied characters and had nothing but cardboard villains. Well except for the OSA guys. But they did it with style. Helga Von Bulow looked like the mean foodlady who chainsmokes at your elementary school. She had a knack for laughing maniacally or making statements in sync with the thunder. And Strasse was a mad evil nazi scientist who was always annoyed by B.J interrupting his schemes. And strangely it never felt inappropriate or any less serious because of it. Or maybe that's just my nostalgia talking.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Rookersh posted:

I hope that's a sign that like Arkane, Machinegames is now one of the Bethesda/Zenimax prime dev houses thanks to fantastic sales of Wolfenstein. :colbert:
It's the second biggest UK launch this year, just behind Titanfall, apparently accounting for a full quarter of all UK game sales that week. Amazing stuff!

Also, if you're thinking of going back and playing the original Wolf 3D or Spear of Destiny, grab ECWolf. It adds higher resolutions (like they're really needed...), proper strafing, AN AUTOMAP (practically necessary), and it detects the game files automagically if you've downloaded them from Steam.

Anti-Hero
Feb 26, 2004
I'm sad to read that this game does not support SLI. Does anyone know what kind of performance I can expect on a single 3GB GTX580 at 1080p? None of the benchmarks I've seen include a card this old. drat shame I won't be able to SLI (which was equivalent to about a GTX780, with double the heat/power consumption haha).

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Triggsz posted:

RTCW lacked allied characters and had nothing but cardboard villains. Well except for the OSA guys. But they did it with style. Helga Von Bulow looked like the mean foodlady who chainsmokes at your elementary school. She had a knack for laughing maniacally or making statements in sync with the thunder. And Strasse was a mad evil nazi scientist who was always annoyed by B.J interrupting his schemes. And strangely it never felt inappropriate or any less serious because of it. Or maybe that's just my nostalgia talking.

Two of the OSA characters didn't even get named in game dialogue, though apparently they were named Murphy and Higgs in the game files. :v:

Hearing the dulcet tones of Tony Jay made the cutscenes in RTCW much more bearable.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Toadsniff posted:

God I hope so, hacker girl tits is way better than Blazkowicz's incest fantasy with his girlfriend he literally calls mother.

When does thay happen?!:stonklol:

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
It looks like the weapon select menu picture of the 1946 assault rifle has a bayonet folded under the barrel. Is this a feature that got cut from the game, or some alternate mode that I haven't figured out how to use?

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

Fetterkey posted:

It looks like the weapon select menu picture of the 1946 assault rifle has a bayonet folded under the barrel. Is this a feature that got cut from the game, or some alternate mode that I haven't figured out how to use?

It's probably the underslung rocket launcher you get later. We don't get a weapon wheel on PC so i can't say for sure.

kefkafloyd posted:

Two of the OSA characters didn't even get named in game dialogue, though apparently they were named Murphy and Higgs in the game files. :v:

Hearing the dulcet tones of Tony Jay made the cutscenes in RTCW much more bearable.

The PS2/Xbox versions of RTCW had it's cutscenes redone. Agent one and B.J actually have voices (although B.J sounds nothing like he should). The cutscenes have higher poly models and some other graphical improvements. But it still looks worse than on the PC (weird facial animations and just plain odd in general). I'm not sure Grey Matter even had a hand in the ports.

It's a shame that the Cursed Sands episode wasn't included in the GOTY edition on PC. But if that means we were spared all the other poo poo they added for the console versions then so be it (although coop was nice).

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.

Triggsz posted:

It's probably the underslung rocket launcher you get later. We don't get a weapon wheel on PC so i can't say for sure.

Huh? I played it on PC and there's totally a weapon wheel. Also, I don't think there's ever a rocket launcher option for the 1946 assault rifle-- I have all collectibles/secrets for that level, played through it on Uber, and never noticed one.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DStecks posted:

:goonsay: Blazko's use of the word "motherfucker" in 1960 is entirely anachronistic, as the word was only known in African-American vernacular until the 1980's.

Something that always amuses me is how some things are absorbed into the mainstream, and then people forget that they ever weren't. Bagels were pretty exclusively a Jewish thing until the 1970's. "Badass" was like "motherfucker", only known to African-Americans before the 1980's. "Meh" was invented by The Simpsons.

I actually sort of noticed that, but it was more that when BJ does his batman voice, he always sounds... off.

Like, he sounds as if he's literally batman from 2000+ who got sent back in time to fight nazis. His whole speaking pattern is strangely modern.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Triggsz posted:

The PS2/Xbox versions of RTCW had it's cutscenes redone. Agent one and B.J actually have voices (although B.J sounds nothing like he should). The cutscenes have higher poly models and some other graphical improvements. But it still looks worse than on the PC (weird facial animations and just plain odd in general). I'm not sure Grey Matter even had a hand in the ports.

I only played the PC version, so now I need to look up the PS2/XBox missions and see what the "new" content was all about.

Playing an FPS on a console at the time seemed anathema since those ports came out a long time after RTCW's release. Believe it or not RTCW was my first mouse and keyboard FPS. I had always played Doom with the keyboard, and I didn't have a PC powerful enough to play Quake or its contemporaries so I missed out on those games with the ability to look up. The very first time I launched RTCW I played only with a keyboard in the first level until I realized "man this is really dumb" and then tried mouse aiming, and BOY what a revelation it was.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

Fetterkey posted:

Huh? I played it on PC and there's totally a weapon wheel. Also, I don't think there's ever a rocket launcher option for the 1946 assault rifle-- I have all collectibles/secrets for that level, played through it on Uber, and never noticed one.

My bad, forgot to read properly. I've never even...i've never used the weaponwheel :psyduck: i don't even know how to select it.

kefkafloyd posted:

I only played the PC version, so now I need to look up the PS2/XBox missions and see what the "new" content was all about.

Playing an FPS on a console at the time seemed anathema since those ports came out a long time after RTCW's release. Believe it or not RTCW was my first mouse and keyboard FPS. I had always played Doom with the keyboard, and I didn't have a PC powerful enough to play Quake or its contemporaries so I missed out on those games with the ability to look up. The very first time I launched RTCW I played only with a keyboard in the first level until I realized "man this is really dumb" and then tried mouse aiming, and BOY what a revelation it was.

After i posted that i actually downloaded the RTCW coop mod for the PC and lo and behold there are actually people playing it. I started up a game on my own and soon enough some guy named Heinrich joined me. We went through the start of the game up to the rocket base before nvidia experience decided to notify me of new drivers and crashed the game.

It was fun!

The console ports added 4 new levels i think, all taking place in Egypt as part of a prologue. After that it's pretty much the PC game but with some new enemy types (dogs and some weird occult priests that shoot lightning out of their hands or something) and a shotgun added.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 21:53 on May 28, 2014

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
Is the a special way to take down the 1960 super soldier? I recently played through the part where you have to steal a train car, and I ended up killing three super soldiers by hiding under the platform and shooting their knees with the shotgun. But if it wasn't for them being so stupid, I don't think I ever would have gotten past that part.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

nickmeister posted:

Is the a special way to take down the 1960 super soldier? I recently played through the part where you have to steal a train car, and I ended up killing three super soldiers by hiding under the platform and shooting their knees with the shotgun. But if it wasn't for them being so stupid, I don't think I ever would have gotten past that part.

You may already know but you don't have to fight any of them, you can run right to the train.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

Scope-aimed LKW kills supersoldiers in two shots (if you can line it up properly). That's the best way to kill them.

You can totally cheese the train section though by jumping onto the car and hitting the switch. You can avoid fighting them altogether. But only a scrub does that.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

Kilometers Davis posted:

You may already know but you don't have to fight any of them, you can run right to the train.

I figured that was the case when I killed every last one of them and didn't give a spinny, autosave wheel, or a quip the protagonist. Still, is the most efficient shooting them in the face till their mask falls off? Because, gently caress me, that's tough. I remember bumping the difficulty up to uber during the 1946 segment, thinking how easy the game was.

Also, about graphics: my computer can run on ultra with no problem, except in certain segments where there's light shafts pouring through smoke/dust. I gave up trying to figure out what it was and just put everything to media. Anyone know if that's a specific thing I can turn off?

Triggsz posted:

Scope-aimed LKW kills supersoldiers in two shots (if you can line it up properly). That's the best way to kill them.

You can totally cheese the train section though by jumping onto the car and hitting the switch. You can avoid fighting them altogether. But only a scrub does that.

I guess my aim with the laser is off, because I expend almost a full battery killing one of them!

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

When you aim through the scope it can fire several shots at once. You'll notice the rectangular areas in the scope lighting up, i think each represents a shot each. Two shots (which is like 6 or 8 regular shots without the scope) usually deplete my full charge when shooting supers. It makes fighting them way too easy.

VVVV It took me awhile to realize that too. I was wondering why i was running out of ammo so quickly. The scope turns it into an aimbot-deathray.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 28, 2014

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

Triggsz posted:

When you aim through the scope it can fire several shots at once. You'll notice the rectangular areas in the scope lighting up, i think each represents a shot each. Two shots (which is like 6 or 8 regular shots without the scope) usually deplete my full charge when shooting supers. It makes fighting them way too easy.

I figured this out way too late. Also, if you aim in squarely on their head, you can drop them in one shot.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Triggsz posted:

When I play Wolfenstein games (any of them, from Wolf3D to now) I always feel "out of character" if I leave any Nazi alive.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Xenomrph posted:

When I play Wolfenstein games (any of them, from Wolf3D to now) I always feel "out of character" if I leave any Nazi alive.

I spared the lives of the three or so Nazis that begged you for their lives in RTCW because while I'm a Nazi killing machine, I'm not a monster. Also it's funny to kind of watch them whimper. Plus, one of them actually tells you how to beat a level! I also found it in character that some scientists/mechanics would be cowardly.

The fact that there were no wimps in TNO bummed me out a bit, if only because I would have loved BJ's reactions to them. The seeming lack of mechanics/engineers was noticed.

x239marine
Jun 20, 2009

'Thank you, I'm here till Duke's Day!
Does anyone else have a problem with the game having little to no bass from their speakers, it seems as if nothing in the game really has any oomph to it.

I am using a standard 5.1 setup from a sound blaster Z (latest drivers), with music and any other game I can get window shaking bass but with wolfenstein not so much.

I know the sound mix is a bit off, and the character voices get a bit lost, but it's really offputting having all these powerful weapons that feel like airsoft guns.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

It's true. Just look at him going off on Klaus after seeing that tattoo. Or him hating the moon for harboring nazis. He's just wired that way. Maybe he was created in a lab from the bodyparts of dead GI's? Maybe his OCD won't let any nazis go by.

As long as there are nazis still breathing you can count on this: Blazcowicz is ruining someone's schnitzel. No he doesn't loving die at the end. For a nazi that's just wishful thinking

(Shut up Kefka)

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

kefkafloyd posted:

The fact that there were no wimps in TNO bummed me out a bit, if only because I would have loved BJ's reactions to them. The seeming lack of mechanics/engineers was noticed.

I think they explicitly wanted to avoid any sort of moral choice other than The Choice, which doesn't have a correct answer. That said, if you take the secret passage behind Deathshead's portrait in 1946... The nazi officer on the phone there will eventually tell his commander that he's got children, and of course he doesn't want anything bad to happen to them. It's not really a moral dilemma or anything, but it's definitely ice-cold to stab a dude through the throat after you just heard that his children will probably be punished if he fails.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
I love you, Triggsz. :allears: Whaddya say we go dual-flak cannons for old Nazi killin's sake?

Geight posted:

I think they explicitly wanted to avoid any sort of moral choice other than The Choice, which doesn't have a correct answer. That said, if you take the secret passage behind Deathshead's portrait in 1946... The nazi officer on the phone there will eventually tell his commander that he's got children, and of course he doesn't want anything bad to happen to them. It's not really a moral dilemma or anything, but it's definitely ice-cold to stab a dude through the throat after you just heard that his children will probably be punished if he fails.

:gonk: I felt kind of the same way after listening to the guards in the prison talk about the moldy concrete.

kefkafloyd fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 28, 2014

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Just beat it. I thought the ending, for what it was, was really really well executed.

But, on the other hand, it's another loving game that ends on a world-changing event and has zero epilogue or denouement. I'm so loving sick of this. It was lovely and lazy when XCOM, DXHR, and Dishonored did it, and it's still lovely and lazy here. What happens next? Who gives a gently caress! You beat the game, time to stop acting like the story ever mattered! What's even worse is that it manages to be both utterly final, and yet resolve nothing.

Also the song over the end credits is terrible.

Geight
Aug 7, 2010

Oh, All-Knowing One, behold me!

DStecks posted:

Just beat it. I thought the ending, for what it was, was really really well executed.

But, on the other hand, it's another loving game that ends on a world-changing event and has zero epilogue or denouement. I'm so loving sick of this. It was lovely and lazy when XCOM, DXHR, and Dishonored did it, and it's still lovely and lazy here. What happens next? Who gives a gently caress! You beat the game, time to stop acting like the story ever mattered! What's even worse is that it manages to be both utterly final, and yet resolve nothing.

XCOM is primarily a strategy game with a very barebones narrative tacked-on, so I'm not sure what you expected. Unless you're talking about The Bureau which actually does talk about what happened afterwards, it's just completely stupid. DXHR I agree with, but in their defense there's an entire game that they had to be mindful of not stepping over while going into the consequences of your actions, and some of the endings do give you a bigger picture of what went down. I've never played Dishonored so you got me there.

Also I thought it was an okay song!

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Geight posted:

XCOM is primarily a strategy game with a very barebones narrative tacked-on, so I'm not sure what you expected.

(spoilers for XCOM: Enemy Unknown)The Civilization games have more definitive endings, so there's really no excuse not to have something, even if it's just a bunch of still images showing people rebuilding cities and XCOM going back into mothballs.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

DStecks posted:

Lemme just throw RAGE in there for good measure. That was probably the worst ending to a game i've ever played. But you're right.

Although i'd argue it's not as final as it appears. The sound of the chopper coming back leaves the impression that Anya and the gang came back for him before the nuke went off. And B.J has been stabbed, shot, and blown up repeatedly enough times to walk away from a handgrenade to the face. Yes that sounds stupid but it's loving Wolfenstein we're talking about. If anything it leaves us with a cliffhanger that is just as much a bad way to end a game. Atleast we got to end Strasse after 3 games of constantly hunting that slimy fucker

Gasbraai
Oct 25, 2010

Lictor my Dictor

Rookersh posted:

Scots aren't human. Anything they say is unintelligible and foreign. :colbert:

That's true, Scotland is a place so wild, untamed, feral and ginger that they have to chain the vinegar bottles to the counter at the fish and chip shop. Scotland is literally the only country in the western hemisphere where coca-cola is not the #1 selling softdrink - having been usurped by a gruesome orange concoction known as irn bru.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle

Fetterkey posted:

*cough*! Well....you see....yeah...
As mentioned earlier in the thread we did experiment with bayonets. Got cut. :)

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

I love you, Triggsz. :allears: Whaddya say we go dual-flak cannons for old Nazi killin's sake?

You should get the RTCW coop mod and we can dual-venom nazis like real G's.

Rippen und reißen

Amebx fucked around with this message at 23:38 on May 28, 2014

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
Combat Knife

Made by Tor Frick, my Art Director.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Triggsz posted:

You should get the RTCW coop mod and we can dual-venom nazis like real G's.

Rippen und reißen

How do I get this... co-op mod? Your ideas intrigue me.

Also throwing my hat in for the BJ isn't dead camp. He's BJ fuckin' Blazkowicz! Takes more than a grenade to take him down. BJ saved the broken foot guy in 1946, they'll come back to save BJ.

Killer-of-Lawyers
Apr 22, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
That combat knife looks like a Nazi medic knife I saw in a museum once. It had the serrated edge as well for cutting limbs to make splints.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

How do I get this... co-op mod? Your ideas intrigue me.

Also throwing my hat in for the BJ isn't dead camp. He's BJ fuckin' Blazkowicz! Takes more than a grenade to take him down. BJ saved the broken foot guy in 1946, they'll come back to save BJ.

Hehehe.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/rtcw-classic-cooperative-campaign

Get the patch too. Throw the mod folder (the whole folder, not the Main one. You don't want to overwrite anything) into your RTCW folder. Then there is a readme that shows what pk3-files you need to copy from your RTCW Main into the mod Main folder. To my surprise there are actually servers and players. Not many, but you can probably get someone to drop in if you host a game.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

PAnick posted:

Combat Knife

Give Tor my highest compliments, that's a loving cool knife.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

JoshVanValkenburg posted:

What's wrong/frustrating about it? I just aced some dudes with the turret on the chopper then dual rpg'd the rest.

that bit was OK, it was the uphill battle against the super nazi and the seemingly infinite amount of rocket and regular nazis that kept loving me over. then you finally get to the top and there is a stream of 5-10 enemies who chew through your ammo and then a shotgun heavy and another super soldier who doesnt leave his little compartment, leaving you to poke your head around with 20 health and hope he doesnt land a single hit while you plick away with whatever ammo you have left.

took me 2 solid hours of attempts to get it.

Some of the AI for spotting you is bullshit also. but hey at least the gun play is better than watchdogs!

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord

Laserface posted:

that bit was OK, it was the uphill battle against the super nazi and the seemingly infinite amount of rocket and regular nazis that kept loving me over. then you finally get to the top and there is a stream of 5-10 enemies who chew through your ammo and then a shotgun heavy and another super soldier who doesnt leave his little compartment, leaving you to poke your head around with 20 health and hope he doesnt land a single hit while you plick away with whatever ammo you have left.

took me 2 solid hours of attempts to get it.

Some of the AI for spotting you is bullshit also. but hey at least the gun play is better than watchdogs!

I feel your pain man, I think it must be a play style thing. I just used the Marksman to clear out regs and the LKW and RPGs for the Supersoldats in that long area you are talking about there. I had it down after a couple trys, but a friend of mine got so mad he quit the game. Try playing like a rat coward~! and aim for the backpack tube things on the shotgun guys!!!

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

PAnick posted:

Combat Knife

It looks like there is a mount for fitting it around a barrel on the guard. And the blade itself can be extended as a bayonet. Makes sense as you said the game was intended to use them at one point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Guys. GUYS.

I got the Panzerhund box set in the mail today, and it is cool as gently caress. It's got so much random poo poo. It comes with Fergus' dog tags. They're metal, too! Other poo poo includes:

Blueprints for the 1946 Luger
Blueprints for London Nautica
Blueprints for the stealth helicopters
A trio of embroidered patches (a Panzerhund logo, a lunar base logo, and the London Nautica logo)
A letter (in German)
BJ's head X-ray showing the shrapnel embedded in there (it's even done on translucent paper so it could be backlit like a real X-ray).
A steelbook case for the game, which even has enough disc holders for whatever version of the game you got
A book of postcards featuring concept art (but it's all done up like sightseeing tourist postcards)

Oh yeah and a Panzerhund statue. :rock:

Like this set is totally ridiculous. Absolutely worth the $100 if you're a Wolfenstein nerd.

Edit-- did I say Panzerhund statue? Because it's a fully articulated figure.
The head, the jaws, the legs, the tail, all of it.
I'm seriously nerding out here guys.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 00:45 on May 29, 2014

• Locked thread