Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

And now for a good Kickstarter.

LeVar Burton wants to bring back Reading Rainbow for kids everywhere.

One of the highest tiers is a chance to wear his Geordi visor.

edit: $700k and climbing :unsmith:

$5M stretch goal: resurrect wishbone
$10M: resurrect Fred Rogers

mbt has a new favorite as of 22:15 on May 28, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

Waffleman_ posted:

Thanks so much for posting this; immediately backed. Also poor Brent Spiner, though I laughed.

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

According to my research,
these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

Mortimer posted:

$650k and climbing :unsmith:

$700k right now.

gently caress any political hack who wants to cut funding for public broadcasting because "nobody watches".

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Waffleman_ posted:

This may be the very first 100% legit kickstarter.

I gotta admit, when I read "but you don't have to take my word for it!" I got hit with a wave of nostalgia.

Jeeze its growing fast.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

This chucklefuck makes t-shirts with the Kickstarter's stats.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/yancey/this-is-also-not-a-kickstarter-shirt?ref=thanks

He's already made more than 14,000 and has two hours to go. Plus this is his second time doing this. :smithicide:

I wish I was stupid enough to think that this would be a path to some easy cash.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

budgieinspector posted:

gently caress any political hack who wants to cut funding for public broadcasting because "nobody watches".

I guarantee you that at least one conservative politician is going to use this Kickstarter to justify slashing public television budgets because it proves that the free market will take care of everything :gop:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

...of SCIENCE! posted:

I guarantee you that at least one conservative politician is going to use this Kickstarter to justify slashing public television budgets because it proves that the free market will take care of everything :gop:

Oh god you're exactly right. And now we know who to blame when this becomes the new talking point. :freep:

insta
Jan 28, 2009

...of SCIENCE! posted:

My thought as well :(

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The world would be a much better place if there were plenty of money for educational TV, and politicians had to hold pledge drives for their salaries.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Mortimer posted:

edit: $700k and climbing :unsmith:

$5M stretch goal: resurrect wishbone
$10M: resurrect Fred Rogers

If there was a Wishbone stretch goal I would no joke pledge everything I have.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jesus, the Reading Rainbow kickstarter is getting money at an absurd pace. Good for it.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
What time did this start? Is it really about to break its goal in like half a day?

Edit: Google seems to think the Kickstarter page has been up for ~10 hours.

Bondematt has a new favorite as of 00:43 on May 29, 2014

goatse.cx
Nov 21, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Here's a watpo article that express scepticism towards this

quote:

It will not, let’s be clear, replicate the classic show that aired from 1983 to 2009. (Burton bought the rights to that show and its name and used them to spin off another company, RRKidz, which produces a Reading Rainbow tablet app.) The Kickstarter would essentially expand on that app, making it available on the Web and updating it with special tools for teachers — not for free, as the classic show was on PBS, but at a monthly subscription cost.

http://m.washingtonpost.com/news/the-intersect/wp/2014/05/28/you-might-want-to-reconsider-that-donation-to-the-reading-rainbow-kickstarter/

goatse.cx has a new favorite as of 00:46 on May 29, 2014

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Except one of the things specifically mentioned in the pitch is bringing specialized material to schools and for free to schools in need. Even if literally nothing else comes of this, that's a seriously good cause. Their goal is to expand the app and bring it to classrooms for free. The second part is really really godamn important.

I'm from Philadelphia. Here we literally can't afford nurses for schools and have had children die because of it. My little sister's classroom literally had to beg parents for paper and pencils. Gaining access to material like that for free would be a tremendous boon to them.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Waffleman_ posted:

He is only 23k away. I'm happy I tossed this some money. Reading Rainbow owned.

gently caress the Washington Post. Dumbass is totally missing the point.

Edit:Ahahaha the comments
Stephen431
7:44 PM EDT
Levar could spend my pledge on cocaine & hookers for all I care. The guy helped teach me a lifelong love of reading, and I owe him back for that.
However, I really don't expect he'll spend it all on cocaine & hookers. I expect that given the amount of time he's pledged to record video messages and to visit school assemblies for elementary school kids, he'll be doing exactly what he said he'll do. I hope he makes a profit. I hope he makes a billion dollars teaching kids to love reading. I hope this kicks off a gold-rush/tech-boom/real-estate-bubble where people are getting rich teaching kids worthwhile and mind expanding activities.
Either way, our pledge is getting us an autographed copy of his new children's book which I intend to read to our first child, due this fall. I'm happy knowing Reading Rainbow will exist in his world.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Washington Post is a piece of poo poo, news at 11.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pomp posted:

Washington Post is a piece of poo poo, news at 11.

The comments are great though.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

gfanikf posted:

He is only 23k away. I'm happy I tossed this some money. Reading Rainbow owned.

gently caress the Washington Post. Dumbass is totally missing the point.

Edit:Ahahaha the comments
Stephen431
7:44 PM EDT
Levar could spend my pledge on cocaine & hookers for all I care. The guy helped teach me a lifelong love of reading, and I owe him back for that.
However, I really don't expect he'll spend it all on cocaine & hookers. I expect that given the amount of time he's pledged to record video messages and to visit school assemblies for elementary school kids, he'll be doing exactly what he said he'll do. I hope he makes a profit. I hope he makes a billion dollars teaching kids to love reading. I hope this kicks off a gold-rush/tech-boom/real-estate-bubble where people are getting rich teaching kids worthwhile and mind expanding activities.
Either way, our pledge is getting us an autographed copy of his new children's book which I intend to read to our first child, due this fall. I'm happy knowing Reading Rainbow will exist in his world.

The author has some legitimate points and it's good that someone's looking at this with a critical eye because I keep staring at the project with a stupid grin on my face as the donation amount keeps ticking upward.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Who cares about Washington Post, the kickstarter just met its goal! And there is still 34 days to go.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

And it's funded.

This has to be a record of some kind.

the wildest rear end posted:

Who cares about Washington Post, the kickstarter just met its goal! And there is still 34 days to go.

Looks like someone needs some reading rainbow

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

That is pretty goddamn nuts.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Except one of the things specifically mentioned in the pitch is bringing specialized material to schools and for free to schools in need. Even if literally nothing else comes of this, that's a seriously good cause. Their goal is to expand the app and bring it to classrooms for free. The second part is really really godamn important.

I'm from Philadelphia. Here we literally can't afford nurses for schools and have had children die because of it. My little sister's classroom literally had to beg parents for paper and pencils. Gaining access to material like that for free would be a tremendous boon to them.

Where the hell did you go to school in Philly? Strawberry Mansion...cause yeah then that makes sense.

the wildest rear end posted:

:unsmith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gfanikf posted:

Where the hell did you go to school in Philly? Strawberry Mansion...cause yeah then that makes sense.

It was better when I went to school. I'm talking about my little sister now, she is only 10, and this is the poo poo she faces daily. She doesn't even go to a particularly bad school either. Just a horribly underfunded one. It literally has a nurse only on Fridays and every other Thursday.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mortimer posted:

And it's funded.

This has to be a record of some kind.

Looks like someone needs some reading rainbow

reading rainbowned

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Pomp posted:

reading rainbowned

dang

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

It was better when I went to school. I'm talking about my little sister now, she is only 10, and this is the poo poo she faces daily. She doesn't even go to a particularly bad school either. Just a horribly underfunded one. It literally has a nurse only on Fridays and every other Thursday.

Oh yeah I seem to recall half days at some point when I was living in Overbrook Park. The various recent heads of the Philly School District have been fantastically incompetent.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, this is the norm now. Last school I worked at only had a nurse come to the school on Wednesdays.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Pomp posted:

reading rainbowned

Has anyone said Readoral Reserve?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Reading Rainbow's already over 1.3 million. :stare:

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Evil Fluffy posted:

Reading Rainbow's already over 1.3 million. :stare:

Dammit, now I'm picturing Levar Burton looking at the numbers with wet eyes.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
It's me, I'm the one who turned into a kid again when Levar said "But you don't have to take my word for it" in the Kickstarter video.

:negative: Butterfly in the sky

the Gaffe
Jul 4, 2011

you gotta believe dawg
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/readingrainbow/bring-reading-rainbow-back-for-every-child-everywh/posts/858121

Already got a video up about the 1 million.

Levar Burton has a tear in his eye and now so do i

budgieinspector
Mar 24, 2006

these would appear to be
Budgerigars.

The Modern Leper posted:

Dammit, now I'm picturing Levar Burton looking at the numbers with wet eyes.

the Gaffe posted:

Levar Burton has a tear in his eye and now so do i

This just got sent out:

quote:

Hello Everyone!

Mark here. It's 9pm on Wednesday night here in LA, and I am trying to compose our first backer update, but it’s hard with all the emotion built up over the day. We’re all somewhat in shock.

About an hour ago, I left LeVar on the set of PERCEPTION, where together we watched you guys make the unimaginable happen.

We shot this iPhone video for all of you, right then and there:

https://d2pq0u4uni88oo.cloudfront.net/assets/002/070/555/74e029c5e9df55ed9eb07200c6ba4f3c_h264_high.mp4

As you can see, it was an emotional moment. We all dreamed and believed we could hit $1,000,000 in the 35 days of the campaign… but never, ever did we imagine you would get us there in 11 hours.

From the bottom of our hearts: thank you.

To the 30,000+ of you who have pledged so far: there is so much we want to share with you, starting tomorrow. If you sent in questions, I promise, FAQ’s are being written RIGHT NOW! (So many of you commented and wrote questions that our mail server froze. #happyproblems)

Tonight, I can tell you that, as excited as we are, there’s a lot more we can still accomplish together, and that every single dollar pledged to this Kickstarter will go to the same two goals: put Reading Rainbow onto more platforms, and get Reading Rainbow into even more classrooms for free.

From all of us: thank you, thank you, thank you.

More tomorrow!

Mark & The Reading Rainbow Team

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

tlarn posted:

Reading Rainbow already passed $400,000 of its $1,000,000 goal. :unsmith:

I'm a little worried a year from now goons are gonna be screaming "where are the loving skittles Kunta?!?!?!? Where is the loving holodeck module?!?!? I wanna taste the rainbow!!!"

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm a little worried a year from now goons are gonna be screaming "where are the loving skittles Kunta?!?!?!? Where is the loving holodeck module?!?!? I wanna taste the rainbow!!!"

I read through the entire KS pitch and there's absolutely no mention of putting aside funds to install a vent hood. :ohdear:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Alan Smithee posted:

are you butthurt about mockery of good froggers or are you butthurt about mockery of Star Citizen

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

RottenK posted:

are you butthurt about mockery of good froggers or are you butthurt about mockery of Star Citizen

I'm butthurt about all Kickstarters coming to pass

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm butthurt about all Kickstarters coming to pass

The butthurt Kickstarter failed

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I read through the entire KS pitch and there's absolutely no mention of putting aside funds to install a vent hood. :ohdear:

It will be the stretch goal for 2 million...which it appears they'll be hitting on a few hours. :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Is the Reading Rainbow KS the fastest to reach $1 million? I know the Veronica mars Movie got there is 12-ish hours, but this hit it in about 11, yeah?