Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Speaking of manning up and baseball, Allen West is mad at the lack of manly catching skills in the stands.

quote:

To Ms. Depesa I render a hearty “Hooah” as a true Valkyrie, a strong woman of Sparta. To the fella sitting with her who ducked — dude, you are going to at least need an identity change and worst case scenario, never show you face at the White Sox ball park.

Wanna know the horrible direction in which this country may be headed? This video is an example. Funny, just as we are remembering the heroism and valor of those who bravely went into harm’s way to protect our freedoms, this happens. Thank God we do still have heroes who walk amongst us, not guys who duck.

Wrap it up, America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fried Chicken posted:

And you are ignoring that he pretty clearly has a deal with Russia for asylum. Vox lays out the evidence here: http://www.vox.com/2014/5/29/5761048/snowden-says-he-has-no-relationship-with-the-russian-government

There is whole lot of speculation and circumstance in there. Not much by way of facts. I'm not even sure what "relationship" means in that context.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Alexzandvar posted:

He gave Putin a full interview that basically painted Putin as a right and just crusader against the evil fascist west's attempts to conquer the Ukraine.

Oh did he now? That's an interesting characterization of a single question he asked, possibly pre-recorded from a different location about whether the Russian government is operating similar systems as the US, that hardly implied that Russia doesn't do so.

It was basically a worthless addition to Putin's PR stunt, I suppose he may have been hoping for some kind of Clapper moment, maybe causing someone in the Russian services to feel like he did.

But you obviously have absolutely no knowledge of this event as evidenced by your absurd claim.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Joementum posted:

Speaking of manning up and baseball, Allen West is mad at the lack of manly catching skills in the stands.

Wrap it up, America.

Ugh former Army people who hooah all the time are the loving worst.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Joementum posted:

Wrap it up, America.
I refuse to give Allen West's website hits, but from the page link I presume a bat went flying into the stands, in which case gently caress that I'm ducking too it's a goddamn bat I don't want to get my skull crushed. I mean sure I'm going after a ball, but a flying loving bat???

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Joementum posted:

Wrap it up, America.

I'm still having a really hard time convincing myself that Allen West is real, and this isn't helping.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

JT Jag posted:

I refuse to give Allen West's website hits, but from the page link I presume a bat went flying into the stands, in which case gently caress that I'm ducking too it's a goddamn bat I don't want to get my skull crushed. I mean sure I'm going after a ball, but a flying loving bat???

Here ya go champ.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Joementum posted:

Wrap it up, America.

He referred to the woman as a "true Valkyrie" and "woman of Sparta."

Allen West might just be an actual literal Nazi. :stare:

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Guys who ducked survived the war.

Guys who didn't...

welp.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

zoux posted:

Here ya go champ.

Actually I probably would have tried to catch that, I was imagining it going faster and maybe having some sick helicopter action.

The duck and cover is still justified though.

hobotrashcanfires
Jul 24, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

And you are ignoring that he pretty clearly has a deal with Russia for asylum. Vox lays out the evidence here: http://www.vox.com/2014/5/29/5761048/snowden-says-he-has-no-relationship-with-the-russian-government

There seems to be an awful lot of pure speculation on the matter, and a whole lot less clarity.

How about this for speculation: Putin absolutely relished the opportunity to snub the US and play the good guy to our bad guy. There's as much evidence for that as anything else I'm seeing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Doctor Butts posted:

Guys who ducked survived the war.

Guys who didn't...

welp.

You have to be pretty crazy indeed to categorize "ducking out of the way of a flying projectile" as cowardly. Like, say, crazy enough to describe yourself as an "American Ronin."

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

loquacius posted:

Like, say, crazy enough to describe yourself as an "American Ronin."

http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/the-making-of-allen-west-inc-20130801 posted:

The operation has expanded recently from West's basement apartment—which he calls "the bat cave"—to a suite on the eerily empty third floor of an office building only blocks from his old office. The walls are barren because many of them are going to be torn down to build a bigger filming studio. The place has the feel of a start-up. A half-dozen young women mill about. West's flat-screen TV, tuned to Fox News, sits atop a cardboard box. A Post-it Note stuck to his computer reminds him that his password is "allenwest." Talking points about Trayvon Martin and a packet of Clearasil wipes sit atop his desk. Oh, and there's a samurai sword.

"I'm pretty scared about you having a samurai sword. That's insane," says Michelle Fields, a rising conservative star and correspondent on his show. "Take it out! I want to see what it looks like."

A fan had arrived, unannounced, bearing the weapon just hours earlier. (The security guards downstairs didn't stop him.) "I'd never met him, but he said because I'm a stand-up guy willing to fight for my beliefs, I should have it. If a guy is going to give another guy a gift, this is cool. I don't want a guy coming in and giving me cologne or some kind of basket," West says. "I mean, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, dude."

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

SALT CURES HAM posted:

He referred to the woman as a "true Valkyrie" and "woman of Sparta."

Allen West might just be an actual literal Nazi. :stare:

Hilarious because of what a pretty tame, corporate and industrial endeavor the modern military is. It honestly has little in common with the outfits from even hundreds of years ago. Comparisons to Sparta are just absurd mythologizing. And I know why they do it. They can't think of one single other thing going on in society that pleases them or fills them with pride. Professional conservatives like Reihan Salam are paid so much to make us forget, that conservatism dissented en masse from modernity decades ago. But conservatives can't think of one thing they like about the USA that actually exists, so they make poo poo up about the military so they can at least pretend to be patriotic about that.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
If he shielded the woman she wouldn't have caught it and the bat would probably just bounce back onto the field. Then no one would get it. :colbert:

richardfun
Aug 10, 2008

Twenty years? It's no wonder I'm so hungry. Do you have anything to eat?

Joementum posted:

And on that topic, I've just finished Nixon Agonistes, which I really should have gotten around to reading sooner, and I highly recommend it. Everything you need to know about American politics is contained in that book.

How does it stack up to Nixonland by Perlstein?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

This is insane. War Criminal Allen West is like a parody of himself

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Insane war criminal Allen West posted:

"I mean, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, dude."

:psyduck: What is it with him and the "dude" poo poo? Is he taking a page out of the Michael Steele "How To Be A Hip, With-It Black Guy" book?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Haha yeah, whiskey tango foxtrot, imaginary dude who presumed to bring Allen West a hypothetical basket of some kind. Turn in your man-card, bro. A basket? That'd be almost as bad as if some guy showed up with a bouquet of flowers and a bottle of Herbal Essences, 'cause it's like, whoa, what's up with that guy, am I right??? *holds up hand for high-five, does not put it down*

(seriously, the insecurity washing off of this man is palpable)

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

1stGear posted:

This is insane. War Criminal Allen West is like a parody of himself

Modern conservatives are basically parodies of themselves

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

richardfun posted:

How does it stack up to Nixonland by Perlstein?

Both are great books and good at describing the scene around the man, not just the man, but the key thing about Agonistes is that it was published in 1970, before the fall from grace. It also quotes Nixon as saying Wilson was his favorite President and the model of what he wants to achieve and spends time exploring that. But really, the sections on the conservative movement, political parties, federalism, the tension between the President and Congress, academia, and the middle-class reaction to the Great Society are excellent.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Shifty Pony posted:

No we don't but I've been considering starting one given how relatively hosed up the housing market is for everyone in it.

Even if you get affordable units you also have what is happening in NYC where the massive tower developments are getting huge tax exemptions in exchange for including affordable units, but they make the affordable units 400sqft, ban the residents from any of the amenities, and even give them a separate entrance so the other market-rate tenants don't have to risk looking at poor people on the way to the staffed gym where the poor people can't go.

And then the market-rate tenants defend this because they think the affordable unit dwellers are leaching off their high rent!

Holy poo poo, isn't this full-on "separate but equal" discrimination for haves vs have-nots? And this stuff is enshrined in our culture?

This American Future thing is gonna get pretty weird at this rate.

[e]: As it stands, people by and large do not have economic rights. There is little in our safety net and zero guarantees. It also helps to mention again that our Capitalist culture enshrines this, so it'll be a really intractable problem along the lines of gun violence in the years to come.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 29, 2014

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

TheRamblingSoul posted:

Holy poo poo, isn't this full-on "separate but equal" discrimination for haves vs have-nots? And this stuff is enshrined in our culture?

This American Future thing is gonna get pretty weird at this rate.

This stuff is enshrined in our Constitution mate.

Technically it's not law anymore but it's not like anyone whited out the 3/5s stuff.

The UCSB shooting? Was it the cause of mental illness? Lax gun laws? A culture of misogyny?

Nah, gay marriage, according to FRC head Tony Perkins.

quote:

When you see there's a crumbling of the moral foundation of the country, you see the attack on natural marriage and the family that has been a part of the, not only the moral foundation and the upbringing of our children but the teaching of sexual roles and the development of human sexuality in our culture...when these fundamental institutions are attacked and destroyed and weakened and abandoned, you get what we are now seeing and that is a flood of these disturbed people in our society that are causing great pain. And as opposed to dealing with the foundational problems, we look for ways of blaming the Second Amendment, or blaming knives or blaming cars when they are used. At the end of the day, you have just underscored the problem, this is a convenient way of avoiding talking about what's at the root cause.

zoux fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 29, 2014

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Allen West posted:

Thank God we do still have heroes who walk amongst us, not guys who duck.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

This x1000 holy poo poo

Allen West and people like him seriously disturb me, the people I know who happen to be either active or ex-military all despise him and his ridiculous oorah-for-days weird neocon brethren.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Great news for freedom lovers today, bad news for wild boars.

quote:

It's no longer a crime in Minnesota to carry fruit in an illegally sized container. The state's telegraph regulations are gone. And it's now legal to drive a car in neutral -- if you can figure out how to do it.... They kept a law on the books that requires state Agriculture Commissioner Dave Frederickson to personally capture or destroy any wild boar that gets loose in Minneapolis or St. Paul. Sertich said it's conceivable that such a critter could wander into the cities.

:911: :unsmith:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Here ya go champ.

I hope this now leads to non stop bats being thrown at Allen West.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

CitizenKain posted:

I hope this now leads to non stop bats being thrown at Allen West.

Wouldn't be the first bat attack this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=055LUSc8Vbo

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Didn't get rid of any of the idiotic blue laws but now that regulations are out of the way it's time for my telegraphy startup to really disrupt communications :getin:

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

zoux posted:

Ugh former Army people who hooah all the timewar criminals are the loving worst.

FTFY

Also,

Holy poo poo that is the best rebuttal to his insanity.

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Mo_Steel posted:

T-Rex? I'm glad they clarified that those are extinct at least.

Sotomayor ain't a headhunter, she's trying to get the guy to back the f off from crowding the plate.

Kiwi Ghost Chips
Feb 19, 2011

Start using the best desktop environment now!
Choose KDE!

A Winner is Jew posted:

FTFY

Also,

Holy poo poo that is the best rebuttal to his insanity.

Except I don't think Allen West has ever actually supported W.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Wild Boars are an invasive species, so I would hope they allow us to kill those pests.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Time flies like an arrow.

John McCain flies like a *plane crashing noises*

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

Joementum, did you take that pic? Or did it just pop up on twitter?

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
Whenever I get mad that Allen West actually held elected office, I remember: any one of us could hold office! It's the great promise of America!

Then I get sad again.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Bah, why do McCain and Gingrich have to be such assholes? They look like cute and cuddly grandpas. Newt especially when he's holding some animal or talking about moon colonies.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Joe the Plumber who is neither a plumber, nor named Joe has a big pile o' Smart Takes today.

quote:

Back to guns:

-Whistles don’t protect women from rape – a Glock does!

-When armed men come into your house to steal, a baseball bat doesn’t cut it. Unless you have an automatic-baseball bat. I want one of those – email me.

-When a nut-job decides to go on a killing spree and the cops are 5 to 15 minutes away, you are screwed unless you are carrying a Colt.

-And – this is the most important one:

Guns are mostly for hunting down politicians who would actively seek to take your freedoms and liberty away from you. Google “Hitler, Mao, Kim Jung Il, Castro, Stalin” just for starters.

As far as me being nice, cordial, respectful – don’t hurt people’s feelings… bla bla? We tried that and look where it got us?

Google “Hitler, Mao, Kim Jung Il, Castro, Stalin” is the less catchy version of Google "Ron Paul", but will probably match its success.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

a shameful boehner posted:

Whenever I get mad that Allen West actually held elected office, I remember: any one of us could hold office! It's the great promise of America!

Then I get sad again.

Allen West's limited tenure as congressasshole is proof only that he can get elected and you can't because you're not mean and dumb enough. There's really no similar process for getting ahead as a left wacko. The worst of the left lives in a trailer in Idaho passing out anti-vax pamphlets and plotting to blow up dams, and the worst of the right gets promoted from Texas exterminator to House Majority Leader.

• Locked thread