Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

B4Ctom1 posted:

We were just talking about quality van moves ight?

Bloomington, Il

Tell me one of the stickers on the back of that van says. "This vehicle stops at all railroad crossings." :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

B4Ctom1 posted:

We were just talking about quality van moves ight?

Bloomington, Il

Now that's service! Door to door!

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Ah Kiwirail - we're used to late/non existent services but this is a new one:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/10088128/Train-crashes-beyond-end-of-the-line

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.
So, a rail line in my town is being reactivated for freight. Currently, only the northern part is going to be in use, which goes through business areas, not residential. But there's rumblings in towns south of us that since it's being reactivated that far, it's now more tempting to reactivate it down to them. If and when that happens, I'm going to be stuck arguing about quiet zones, aren't I?

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
My building is between two rail yards and regularly shakes while heavily loaded freight trains go by. I find it soothing, but then again I am a giant child inside and trains still make me giddy as gently caress.

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners

Keiya posted:

If and when that happens, I'm going to be stuck arguing about quiet zones, aren't I?

I would be way more concerned about the inevitable derailment(s) and what hazmat spills are coming to an area near you.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
My old house is next to the Cheyenne Yard. Standing on the porch greeting a guest or seeing one off after a visit and a string of hoppers rolling free makes a rough joint and my guests jump out of their skin yelling, "oh my god did something just blow up what the gently caress!?!?!?"

SocketSeven posted:

Tell me one of the stickers on the back of that van says. "This vehicle stops at all railroad crossings." :v:

Well if I use railroad agreement interpretation logic to such a sticker, it doesn't say "which method" would be used to stop the vehicle at crossings so all is well here.

B4Ctom1 fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 29, 2014

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

dissss posted:

Ah Kiwirail - we're used to late/non existent services but this is a new one:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/10088128/Train-crashes-beyond-end-of-the-line

Obviously, the driver needed some coffee.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
:nms: Japanese suicide jumper hit by bullet train :nms:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=04f_1401284614

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

B4Ctom1 posted:

Dude interrupted my enjoyment of a perfectly rad foamer cab vid. :(

Hezzy
Dec 4, 2004

Pillbug

B4Ctom1 posted:

That's one of the cleanest suicide cab videos I've seen. Luckily the train looked like it was only going 30 to 40mph

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Just take some sleeping pills in a bathtub, naked, ffs :argh:

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Brother Jonathan posted:

5) Last but not least, when you're inconvenienced by a train, remember that we're pulling for you! Trains are a great way to conserve fuel, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and keep American jobs alive and green. Rail technology is the best solution to our energy crisis, and as the rail network grows in the years to come, it's important for everyone to stay safe. Look, listen, LIVE.

Is the U.S. rail system really growing? If so, aren't most of the optimal routes taken already (either in use or used and abandoned)? If you wanted to retrack an abandoned line, do you have to buy the land up all over again, or do states control the line?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That depends. Some places they lease the track to other rr's and others they pull up the tracks but still own the land.

The rail system is growing, but not additional branches, but by the additional mainline for double/triple track.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Cygni posted:

Dude interrupted my enjoyment of a perfectly rad foamer cab vid. :(

I like those videos, I just zone out to them. Like highway hypnosis, except intentionally induced and embraced. And then some jerk offs themselves in a way that makes another person take all the guilt.

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Is the U.S. rail system really growing? If so, aren't most of the optimal routes taken already (either in use or used and abandoned)? If you wanted to retrack an abandoned line, do you have to buy the land up all over again, or do states control the line?

It depends! The track here was actually sold to the village (well, the village and a 'city' that is 90% farmland... there's weird political reasons), and they just transfered it to a state agency. It had minimal maintenance done since 1997, but was still largely intact when they reactivated it.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Is there any easy way to look up what track is in use online? There is a LOT of rail around the neighborhood I grew up in from a steel mill that recently got shut down, and it'd be interesting to see what of that is abandoned, what's still used to make occasional drop offs to the factories, and what isn't used at all.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Log082 posted:

Is there any easy way to look up what track is in use online? There is a LOT of rail around the neighborhood I grew up in from a steel mill that recently got shut down, and it'd be interesting to see what of that is abandoned, what's still used to make occasional drop offs to the factories, and what isn't used at all.

Reported to department of homeland security.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Log082 posted:

B4Ctom1 posted:

He just wanted to know about train tracks, no need to go put him on the no-fly list. :rimshot:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Log082 posted:

B4Ctom1 posted:

I laughed. It really is annoying how tight lipped people are about this stuff. A friend of mine had to go to some weird foamer club meeting to find out who actually owned the old, original transcontinental railroad tracks by my old house in Sacramento, because nobody else would tell him.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
JFC people :(
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/5401689

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

'WERE GONNA DIE'

Dude's been watchin too many lovely Michael Bay movies.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
• Got to haul some tanks
• Unavoidable collision, crew wasn't at fault
• Nobody got hurt
• Get a couple days R&R at the tail end of May
• Lifetime supply of trail mix

Paperwork aside, seems like a drat fine day to be a trainman.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice
Some dumb bastard got hit by a train at the crossing right next to work the other day. I heard what sounded like an empty truck hitting a speed hump in the yard and found out a few minutes later it was a truck that tried to beat the train. The train was only going 5-10 mph when it hit.

This is about the best photo I could get from the inside of the fence.

The article from the local paper...

http://www.ydr.com/local/ci_25847220/911-crash-involving-train-tractor-trailer-reported-springettsbury

Thankfully nobody was hurt but in the 15 years I've worked there I've never seen anybody dumb enough to get hit at that crossing.

9axle
Sep 6, 2009

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

I would be way more concerned about the inevitable derailment(s) and what hazmat spills are coming to an area near you.

That's only along CSX lines silly. If they are reactivating a line, it sure as hell isn't CSX so he should be safe.

ijustam
Jun 20, 2005

Ok, so say you have to stop your train on an incline. How do you start the train again without letting all the slack run out? Don't you need to keep the slack in when starting so you aren't pulling the entire thing at once?

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
IANA Engineer but I do believe you have to come to a complete stop, (which depletes the trainline pressure and pressure in the individual cars' reservoirs) walk the train setting hand brakes sufficient to hold it, wait to build trainline pressure back up as well as fill up each cars' reservoir --- It's a little murky where you go from there, but I'm sure you can pull up the hill with brakes applied. and I'll leave the operating rules to you!

Probably not a good practice to park on a hill (especially for :supaburn: reasons)

NoWake fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 2, 2014

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I am an engineer . It is the other way around.

You would usually prefer to start with the train "stretched". When the slack is already all out, the greatest danger is past.

"Taking the slack out" of a train is the most likely time to break things. Like when you climb on a train and all the slack is in an unknown or maybe all bunched.

This is because each bit of slack that is stretched out as you take it up is amplified because of how much mass you have going 2, 3, 4, 5 mph already. The last cars have to go from zero to that speed the rest of the mass is going.

This is bad if you are really going at it aggressively. You can break a knuckle with an empty train if you ham fist it like that.

Gentle stretching modulating the locomotive independent brakes and power to control that stretch.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I know the Dutch railways have a special signal for freight trains only. The regular signal may be set to safe, but the freight train one may still be set to danger. This is to prevent it from having to stop in a tunnel, in which case it may not have enough power to get out on its own again, at least not in a timely manner.

That said, Dutch freight trains are short compared to US ones (the maximum is around 600 metres), and probably have weaker/smaller engines because the country is pretty flat. Although the majority of the network is electrified, for heavy trains it's more effective to have multiple weaker diesels instead of one strong electric locomotive, because it spreads the driving force across more wheels.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Of course, there's also nothing that keeps you from running pairs of electric freight locomotives.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
I have received this "crowbars fired!" message on the integrated control display a few times from a couple different locomotive models. Usually during times of wheelslip and heavy grade but never knew what it meant. I knew it was a protective function, and understood the electro-mechanical idea, but not as it applied to my locomotives or why.

So I looked it up and I share it here:

http://www.okthepk.ca/dataCprSiding/articles/200307/alternat.htm

Brother Jonathan
Jun 23, 2008
Hey guys! Today, June 3rd, is International Level Crossing Awareness Day! Check out the local events!

And here is the latest Operation Lifesaver ad:

https://vimeo.com/91195034

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
I'm quite pleased with this photograph I took of BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) cruising through south Oakland.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

darknrgy posted:

I'm quite pleased with this photograph I took of BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) cruising through south Oakland.

Great photo, although that's a pretty scary part of Oakland to be shooting in at night.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

I'm pretty sure even the most violent criminals are scared of foamers. Just make yourself look like one of 'em and you're fine.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Das Volk posted:

Great photo, although that's a pretty scary part of Oakland to be shooting in at night.

Yeah, the police will murder you.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012

Keiya posted:

I'm pretty sure even the most violent criminals are scared of foamers. Just make yourself look like one of 'em and you're fine.

A white dude walking around the ghetto at night will be left alone unless you are flashing cash or drunk. I know this, because I was that white guy bangers steered clear of for about a year.

I wouldn't call across the street from the Oakland Coliseum the ghetto though.

darknrgy
Jul 26, 2003

...wait come back
Hmm... Oakland is interesting to this thread because of how much physical commerce flows through the city. I took the photo on the roof of my residential building. To the east of my building is BART and a freight line. To the west is a couple of shared lines that host Amtrak and more freight. Just northwest of here is the Port of Oakland, which serves up freight to Union Pacific and BNSF. As far as crime goes, I just moved here and so far I have not been shot in the dick.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Thats because the particularly violent people have all been pushed to Richmond now.

Oakland is gentrified by the hills to the east, Berzerkly to the north, and San Leando/Hayward the south.

The area between fruitvale and high street between 580 and 880 is the place to avoid. You'll know you're in the ghetto when the houses have bars on the windows, Gates on the doors, and wrought iron fences around the yards. Richmond is one of those places where the handles for the gated doors have their own gated doors it's so bad.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I saw the Union Pacific Mobile Laboratory in Oxnard while driving. I wasn't able to get any pics of it though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I would like to share this picture I saw on imgur. It is a nice picture.