Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Rumbler
Jan 30, 2013

For I am a dog, you see.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is the Reading Rainbow KS the fastest to reach $1 million? I know the Veronica mars Movie got there is 12-ish hours, but this hit it in about 11, yeah?

Torment: Tides of Numenera broke through the $1 million mark in about 7 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sefer
Sep 2, 2006
Not supposed to be here today

DrBouvenstein posted:

Is the Reading Rainbow KS the fastest to reach $1 million? I know the Veronica mars Movie got there is 12-ish hours, but this hit it in about 11, yeah?

Veronica Mars hit it in 4 hours.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Yeah, this is the norm now. Last school I worked at only had a nurse come to the school on Wednesdays.

Are the coasts really that bad? In the midwest even our lovely inner city schools have fulltime nurses.

My Rhythmic Crotch
Jan 13, 2011

This hilariously impossible device has passed its proposed ship date. I'm sticking with my original feeling that it will never see the light of day, or if it does, it will be based on existing technology (Stirling or Peltier) and put out a few mA of current - not enough to charge a phone.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

DrBouvenstein posted:

Amusingly, kicktraq is pegging it at a projected 33 million. I mean, yeah right, but still.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

This hilariously impossible device has passed its proposed ship date. I'm sticking with my original feeling that it will never see the light of day, or if it does, it will be based on existing technology (Stirling or Peltier) and put out a few mA of current - not enough to charge a phone.

This guy did a good writeup of why it will never work.
http://www.solarheatengines.com/2013/03/02/why-the-one-puck-wont-work/

He figures it will only put out 0.18 Watts in realistic (but generous) conditions.

Edward_Tohr
Aug 11, 2012

In lieu of meaningful text, I'm just going to mention I've been exploding all day and now it hurts to breathe, so I'm sure you all understand.
Clearly they need to heat the hot side with a Plasma/Oxygen mix, and let the cold side be cooled by space! :v:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Bad Munki posted:

Amusingly, kicktraq is pegging it at a projected 33 million. I mean, yeah right, but still.

Under the assumption that it gets the same level of donations every day. It's the silliest trending system.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Xandu posted:

Under the assumption that it gets the same level of donations every day. It's the silliest trending system.

Oh, I know. I just like seeing it. :)

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

My Rhythmic Crotch posted:

Why do people who get tens, if not hundreds, of thousands of dollars have the shittiest cameras and microphones?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
:siren: reading rainbow has hit the second million :siren:

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
A second million has hit the Reading Rainbow

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

Considering the sheer speed its hit the 2 million I wonder if they'll be looking at reviving the TV show. Veronica Mars took 5 hours to hit 1m, but didn't hit 2m until 29 days left. RR did it within 24 hours.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Tornhelm posted:

Considering the sheer speed its hit the 2 million I wonder if they'll be looking at reviving the TV show. Veronica Mars took 5 hours to hit 1m, but didn't hit 2m until 29 days left. RR did it within 24 hours.

I don't think the show's audience is donating.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

WickedHate posted:

I don't think the show's audience is donating.

aww but it's such a cute visual :3:

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.
Ugh.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/376675685/the-wheel-in-motor-movie-going-digital

The kickstarter itself isn't offensive (transitioning a drive-in theatre to digital), but its so obvious that the reason the campaign is going to flop is because of the rewards. They suck. And that really bites. Just look at this:

Pledge $100 or more posted:

1 Large Buttered Popcorn, 2 Medium Soft Drinks, Honored on The Wheel-In Web Site and on our New Digital Screen!, AND, 24 frames of Souvenir 35mm Film.

Pledge $1,000 or more posted:

1 Combo Pizza, 1 Large Buttered Popcorn, 2 Large Soft Drinks, Honored on The Wheel-In Web Site, and on our New Digital Screen! 24 frames of Souvenir 35mm Film AND a Logo Wheel-In Motor Movie Hooded Sweat Shirt!

Yeah, $900 for a pizza, larger sodas, and a sweatshirt. Whose drat idea was this?

Oh, bonus. The guy failed a previous kickstarter, too. Yet hasn't learned his lesson.

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
There's also the whole "30 minutes on TV is the old way, on-demand and online is now" thing that was mentioned in the kickstarter video. :shrug:

But hey, how about a bad kickstarter? £220 for a "website related to friends catching up whilst playing the latest version of [Minecraft]"!

TheMinecraftTalk posted:

The website will be designed around all ages because the game Minecraft is played by millions, all around the world and it's any age group. We would not be creating the game Minecraft because it's already made Click here. We are creating a community based website where other members can show their builds, plugins and much more.

We are creating a home for the people who play Minecraft. We are creating a place where they can show off their skills. We are creating a place for the Minecrafters to talk about the next update of the game.

Why do we need funding?

We have been building a website plan and currently we are in need of funding which would be £220.

Where would this money be spent?

The £220 would be spent on keeping the website live for other members to enjoy, to purchase the domain name, to purchase XenForo and add-ons.

What is XenForo?

Xenforo is a forum software that allows member registration and allows people to make topics within the areas provided.

Another dude wants $6,000,000 to purchase a one-of-a-kind Wu Tang album and destroy it.

Destroy only copy of new Wu-Tang Album posted:

I hate that the WU has devolved into such self-riotous assholes. This would be a tremendous idea if all the proceeds went to poor artists or cancer research or Autism or something. Instead it goes to the pockets of artists who have the entire world at their ear. Music and visual art are art. Art should be shared with the world. Especially to poor people and the culturally disadvantaged. I don't see how this project isn't mutually inclusive to denying that this work is art and should therefore be destroyed.

I will happily destroy this album in public spectacle and never listen to it. I have listened to this group since I was able to pick an album from the CD rack. But these m&%f$#s done went to far.

There will be a destruction ceremony that will be broadcast live via the intertubes. This ceremony will serve as a work of performance art. It will be scripted, filmed for posterity, and made available for download worldwide.

Tickets to final performance made available to pledgers.

Last part's serious. A $100 pledge gets you a ticket, while $10,000 gets you a piece of the destroyed album. :downs:

Finally, a true boon to the human race, Thought Amplification Rods.

Thought Amplification Rods posted:

I am asking for $4,400 to kick-start my 'Thought Amplification Rod' business. I have eleven pre-carved wooden rods, but am no longer permitted to make them at my current dwelling, due to religious conflict. I have all the necessary tools for engraving, gold gilding etc, but need more gems and crystals along with more supplies and tools.

All kick-starting money will go towards being able to pay for a rented workspace where I can do my work unhindered, and for the supplies needed to fulfill orders.

So whats so special about my 'Thought Amplification Rods?' They are hand carved and hand inscribed; the gems and crystals are hand ground to their fitting shape and pre-chosen for their spiritual qualities; the inscriptions consist of the names of angelic beings, pertaining to different energy forms, written in Coptic and the alphabet of the magi.

Several "Thought Amplification Rods" are now underway, but I am still unable to work at full capacity. Thankyou for your time and consideration.

For more information visit: http://thoughtamplify.blogspot.ca/

Here's a better picture of the rods from the above blogspot URL;

(click to embiggen and appreciate the sweet, sweet runes)

Motherfucking wizard staves. :smugwizard:

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
I'm so curious what the story is here "am no longer permitted to make them at my current dwelling, due to religious conflict."

Drunk Tomato posted:

Ugh.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/376675685/the-wheel-in-motor-movie-going-digital

The kickstarter itself isn't offensive (transitioning a drive-in theatre to digital), but its so obvious that the reason the campaign is going to flop is because of the rewards. They suck. And that really bites. Just look at this:

Yeah, $900 for a pizza, larger sodas, and a sweatshirt. Whose drat idea was this?

Oh, bonus. The guy failed a previous kickstarter, too. Yet hasn't learned his lesson.

Those are terrible rewards (monetary value isn't super relevant in this case, but they're just so boring), but I'm really impressed they got 15k in donations. Especially with no video.

Xandu has a new favorite as of 00:41 on May 30, 2014

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's the Wheel-In, it's a Thing.

null_user01013
Nov 13, 2000

Drink up comrades

Xandu posted:

I'm so curious what the story is here "am no longer permitted to make them at my current dwelling, due to religious conflict."

Mom thinks it is satanic

But those are pretty dope wizard dildos

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

RottenK posted:

A second million has hit the Reading Rainbow

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8

The only appropriate anthem for this fund raiser.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Bad Munki posted:

Xandu posted:

You laugh but the total for day 3 is currently at $2.6 million and if it meets $3m by the end of the day then the updated Kicktraq trend will still be around $33m. Reading Rainbow Crew gonna prove you wrong. :colbert:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
That's assuming it gets a million a day. There's always diminishing returns in the middle, and then a last push towards the end. I could see it getting closer to the 10 milly range, maybe just under that

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alan Smithee posted:

There's always diminishing returns in the middle, and then a last push towards the end. I could see it getting closer to the 10 milly range, maybe just under that

I'm gonna start buying "Reading Rainbow Doubter" avatars for everyone. :colbert:

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

You guys are crazy. It will end at 7 million or so.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Ways to combat the recession:

-penalize outsourcing

-raise minimum wage

-extend unemployment benefits

-Make it the 90s again by science, magic, or Kickstarter

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Ways to combat the recession:

-penalize outsourcing

-raise minimum wage

-extend unemployment benefits

Well poo poo brother I'm all for a new dotcom bubble and backwards baseball caps

tlarn
Mar 1, 2013

You see,
God doesn't help little frogs.

He helps people like me.
Seriously, look at all these Transformers movies, comic book movies, a Ninja Turtles movie, even Sailor Moon's coming back. All there need to be now is a new Battletoads/DoubleDragon game or movie and Pogs and I'll be convinced that it's the 90's again.

My advanced guesswork that I ran through multiple cryptographic sequencers says that Reading Rainbow's kickstarter stop at $17 million. :rory:

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

...of SCIENCE! posted:

There's already been a few attempts

www.indiegogo.com/projects/time-machine-to-go-back-and-stop-george-lucas-from-butchering-star-wars

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Remember that Harmonix Kickstarter? They reached their goal and then a week later they laid of 37 employees.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Don't video game company lay off half their staff twice a year or something?

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Unfortunate timing for sure, but it's not that surprising. Seems like there's been a string of layoffs at Harmonix every six months for the past few years. The death of plastic instrument video games took a toll on them.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Hey remember that Patreon crowdfunding site where fans sign up to give a monthly donation to artists? It's the end of the month so let's check back in on some of the projects we looked at and see how much money they're going to get at midnight tonight!

Tim Chuma posted:

Red Letter Media is now getting over $4000 per month to create videos

Their pledge level is now just shy of $6k/m
http://www.patreon.com/redlettermedia

Still hasn't received a single pledge.

Currently at $2,278/m for 'tingly' ASMR videos.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

They're nearly up to $5000 now. Remember that this isn't a one off lump sum, it's $5k of automated payments every month. Zach Weinersmith of SMBC is getting over $8k per month (that's about $100,000 annually, minus fees and taxes) and even Tim Buckley is pulling in over $2.5k monthly from Patreon.
Creators can also set the donation schedule to "per creation" rather than "per month". Filmcow (the Charlie the Unicorn people) are only pulling $900 per video but they pump out several videos every month.

SMBC is still a little over $8k/m, Tim Buckley has increased to over $3k/m and FilmCow is nearly at $1k/video (they published 2 videos in May).

I was wondering whether their totals would hold steady or slowly rise or take a sudden dip at the end of the month when people realised they couldn't afford their pledge or whether they'd take a dip just after the end of the month when people got an automated email that their pledge had gone through and they think "poo poo, I've been meaning to cancel that..."

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

I'm not even sure what you think this is saying.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

wa27 posted:

You guys are crazy. It will end at 7 million or so.

My guess after the first day was 5 million. I do hope it can get to 10, at least beat out the OUYA.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Plus, I think at 10 million we get Wishboned as well? I think I saw that somewhere.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Munki posted:

Plus, I think at 10 million we get Wishboned as well? I think I saw that somewhere.

That was a goon making a joke.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah I saw the "reading rainbowned" thing that I think you're actually talking about and that I was blatantly ripping off but I thought someone actually mentioned wishbone something or other as some sort of addendum stretch goal whatchamahoosit.

e: Oh, I went back and see it now, never mind then. :(

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Hell, we're getting a big screen adaptation of Jem and the Holograms, so anything is possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zebco
Nov 1, 2009

Eat. Sleep. Folk.
give sam hyde all your anime fig money for the month of june
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/kickstarter-tv-where-idiots-go-to-spend-money-on-crap