Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
Time travel is dumb, I really hope this series avoids it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Honestly I think the biggest disappointment and missed opportunity was to fight Hitler in some ridiculous robot suit again, even if it's just a clone, hell have an army of Hitler's as the final stand off.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

kefkafloyd posted:

Time travel is dumb, I really hope this series avoids it.
Counterpoint: time travel is cool and I'm kinda surprised the series hasn't used it already.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

i'm a shark!!! i'm a SHAAAARK!! suck my diick!! I'M A SHAAARK!!

Xenomrph posted:

Predictions for the next Wolfenstein game:

BJ isn't dead, we find out he's been rescued by Anya and stuff. He continues dismantling the Nazi global empire, and we get to see more of how the Nazi-controlled world functions. Maybe take a trip to Africa, hopefully the USA, maybe a small campaign to re-liberate Paris. Maybe rally some of the other countries like Japan and Russia against the Reich, since the Resistance has Da'at Yichud tech and Deathshead is dead.

Nazis start losing and get desperate and try to make a time machine to let them "correct" their mistakes and salvage their victory, BJ gets wind of this and ends up going back in time to stop them, knowing full well that he's trading off happiness with Anya for the chance to stop the Nazis from even winning the war. Maybe pull some Timesplitters-style stuff where BJ revisits some location from the last 3 games, ends up back in 1945 and assassinates Deathshead, stopping the Nazis from winning the war and basically creating the "real world" timeline we know.

Imo this is a bad idea. Why undo the relatively unique and unexplored world you've created by going back to WW2 - a setting we've seen and done over several dozen times. If anything the setting should move forward and explore further into the future. What are the nazis gonna do next? How has their ideology and new technologies further shaped the world years or decades later? How far is the resistance willing to go to stop the nazis? I hope the story doesn't immidiately start off with "we've got the nazis on the run". This alternate setting was interesting because of the "what if" scenario. Backtracking into familiar territory seems like limiting your creative potential.

I do agree with having Africa be a part in it though.
Speaking of which. If you pay attention to the soldiers on the Gibraltar bridge mission they have Africa Korps insignias. I thought that was cool detail.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 19:17 on May 29, 2014

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

yeah there is no reason to abandon the setting. they way they have it set up, the nazis could absorb all kinds of setbacks and still own huge parts of the world, there is plenty that could still be done.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do you have to start a new game to use 999 mode and if so would that make Uber mode easier than a NG+ run with all perks and weapons upgrades? I'm really bad at playing games on higher difficulties. :ohdear:

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Triggsz posted:

Imo this is a bad idea. Why undo the relatively unique and unexplored world you've created by going back to WW2 - a setting we've seen and done over several dozen times. If anything the setting should move forward and explore further into the future. What are the nazis gonna do next? How has their ideology and new technologies further shaped the world years or decades later? How far is the resistance willing to go to stop the nazis? I hope the story doesn't immidiately start off with "we've got the nazis on the run". This alternate setting was interesting because of the "what if" scenario. Backtracking into familiar territory seems like limiting your creative potential.

I do agree with having Africa be a part in it though.
Speaking of which. If you pay attention to the soldiers on the Gibraltar bridge mission they have Africa Korps insignias. I thought that was cool detail.

Pretty much agree with these thoughts. TNO has moved Wolfenstein forward into a new and fertile ground. The Nazis won't crumble overnight because Deathshead is dead. The field has been leveled, but work must still be done.

Fetterkey
May 5, 2013

Even without the events of forty years ago, I think man would still be a creature that fears the dark.
This game owns. I've played through it twice (on I am Death Incarnate and then Uber) and still want more. The leaning in this game is implemented better than in anything else I've seen, and it makes other games feel clunky. I really hope they release DLC or something because I'll pick it up in a heartbeat.

FellowAmerican
Oct 2, 2007
I'm too busy philosophizing to get up
Just finished. I was really pleased. I really enjoyed the combination of modern fps features combined with the speed and insanity of older games like Doom. If Doom 4 plays similarly I will be very pleased!

I do wish there were more crazy Nazi monstrosities a la RTCW. I rationalized it to myself that after the Nazis won the war, they dialed in the Ubersoldat technology and didn't need all the crazy poo poo.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

FellowAmerican posted:

Just finished. I was really pleased. I really enjoyed the combination of modern fps features combined with the speed and insanity of older games like Doom. If Doom 4 plays similarly I will be very pleased!

I do wish there were more crazy Nazi monstrosities a la RTCW. I rationalized it to myself that after the Nazis won the war, they dialed in the Ubersoldat technology and didn't need all the crazy poo poo.

It's also possible they sent most of their crazy stuff down to the African front. There's still fighting going on there. I bet the Afrika Korps have a load of desert-themed Panzerhunden and Übersoldats loving poo poo up every day except maybe Sundays. In the Gibraltar bridge mission you encounter supersoldiers near a traincar used to house them for example.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

Fetterkey posted:

This game owns. I've played through it twice (on I am Death Incarnate and then Uber) and still want more. The leaning in this game is implemented better than in anything else I've seen, and it makes other games feel clunky. I really hope they release DLC or something because I'll pick it up in a heartbeat.

While the leaning mechanic is good there is definitely room for improvement. Often times I found myself struggling to put the cursor in the 'sweet spot' so I could lean sideways instead of over something. Also I want to lean while dual wielding: The thought of BJ crouched behind a crate and then leaning carefully to the side to unleash two gigantic un-silenced weapons is hilarious to me.

I'm on my second play through now and I'm being much more aggressive, and it's WAY more fun this way! Ditto to the DLC comment, I want more of this game.

Edit-I didn't know there was a dedicated lean key! I just used right click when holding one weapon.

Haptical Sales Slut fucked around with this message at 22:46 on May 29, 2014

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

Uh, you can lean while dual wielding. Just use the lean key? I do it all the time.

The ironsight-lean isn't nearly as reliable as manually leaning.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle
Laserkraftwerk (LKW)

Nazi experimental laser weapon. I think I worked on this weapon on and off for almost two years. There were so many different functions we wanted to try out, so the look of the model had to change a couple of times. I'll post some older concepts if I can find them.

Ingame model

Highpoly model

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of the LKW PAnick, was it you who did the animation for when BJ first picks it up? I laughed like a loving idiot at the way he compared it to the laser cutter - you can practically hear the cogs turning in his head.

Triggsz posted:

Uh, you can lean while dual wielding. Just use the lean key? I do it all the time.

The ironsight-lean isn't nearly as reliable as manually leaning.

Yeah, the lean key is boss. Frantic dual wield firing machine guns 420 every day.

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

PAnick posted:

Laserkraftwerk (LKW)
Nazi experimental laser weapon. I think I worked on this weapon on and off for almost two years.
Allow me to be the first in this thread to say it was very much time well spent.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

kefkafloyd posted:

Pretty much agree with these thoughts. TNO has moved Wolfenstein forward into a new and fertile ground. The Nazis won't crumble overnight because Deathshead is dead. The field has been leveled, but work must still be done.
I totally want to see more of the Nazi-ruled world. What I'm saying is, have BJ stick it to the Nazis over the course of several games, show us more of that dystopian alternate future, and then when the Nazis are on the verge of losing then you have the Nazis play the Skynet card and try to retroactively salvage things. I'm talking "for the next 3 sequels" planning, not just resorting back to WWII in the next game or something.

PAnick
Aug 6, 2006

Build:
- Polygons
- Muscle

poptart_fairy posted:

Speaking of the LKW PAnick, was it you who did the animation for when BJ first picks it up?

OH god no. Animation is where I draw the line :D
On a good day my work flow is:

- Concept artist draws a first draft of a thing.
- I build a rough model and put it in the game. We look at how it works in 3D and see how animation will look. Lots of discussion of what works and what doesn't. I tweak 3d model until it works.
- Concept artist draws final picture or pictures of the thing. Other times I get to just do my own thing.
- I build highpoly model.
- I build lowpoly model.
- I texture it and add shaders.
- I rigg it and prepare it so an animator can take over.

When we aren't lifting weights in the gym my good friend Markus Hammarstedt animates my guns and robots.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I loved finding upgrades for the LKW. Just that little animation of BJ picking up some random gizmo and instinctively knowing exactly where and how it fits was strangely satisfying. If there ever is a sequel, I desperately want there to be a similar upgrade system for every goddamn gun.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

PAnick I just gotta say this game kicks rear end and your modeling work is awesome :)

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

PAnick posted:

OH god no. Animation is where I draw the line :D
On a good day my work flow is:

- Concept artist draws a first draft of a thing.
- I build a rough model and put it in the game. We look at how it works in 3D and see how animation will look. Lots of discussion of what works and what doesn't. I tweak 3d model until it works.
- Concept artist draws final picture or pictures of the thing. Other times I get to just do my own thing.
- I build highpoly model.
- I build lowpoly model.
- I texture it and add shaders.
- I rigg it and prepare it so an animator can take over.

When we aren't lifting weights in the gym my good friend Markus Hammarstedt animates my guns and robots.

Any chance of seeing those concept first drafts? Or is all that in the artbook and Beth wouldn't like you spilling that for free?

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

PAnick posted:

Laserkraftwerk (LKW)

Nazi experimental laser weapon. I think I worked on this weapon on and off for almost two years. There were so many different functions we wanted to try out, so the look of the model had to change a couple of times. I'll post some older concepts if I can find them.

Ingame model

Highpoly model

Now that is a badass looking weapon. Kinda underwhelming to use as a regular weapon though. It's a real slayer with the scope-mode i can say that much, and cutting panels open always feels satisfying (that alone is an achievement). But the regular fire is just not doing it. It feels pretty weak and unreliable compared to the AR and shotgun in any straight up firefight, and it sounds dinky as gently caress. I was expecting it to turn into a proper BFG at the end, sort of like the starter weapon from Unreal. A big 'gently caress you' cannon you could just unleash on anything and leave nothing but a smoldering crater. I would've exchanged the rapidfire mode for a charge blast. And given the normal shots a small splash radius rather than the reflection.

The laser-MG also gets the boot. It doesn't have that satisfying punch to it.

Assault rifles and auto-shotguns are real powerhouses though. And the marksman rifle is really fun due to it's two very different modes. Pistols are kinda meh. All the 1946 guns are awesome.

Amebx fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 30, 2014

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

kefkafloyd posted:

I hope that one day, if they go so far as to show the Nazi's being "defeated", they show how the world responds to their former nations/leaders for having caved in to the Nazi's in the first place. Like Jimmy's speech pre-trip with BJ, when he talks about how the man bent right over for the Nazi's. The entire world would have to come to grips with that, and decide where to go from there.

EDIT: Also, Im the only guy who never got the scope for the LKW. its a pleasure to meet you all! :) :) :)

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

kefkafloyd posted:

There is also another psuedo-sciency thing they can explore in the next game: Cloning! Have it to where at some point in a future game/DLC you find out Deathshead has been making clones of himself and that is how he "survived" the blimp crash at the end of Wolf 09 and why he doesn't really recognize you at the beginning of the game. You storm the cloning facility and wind up fighting a small army of armored superdeathsheads before shutting it down.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

DeathSandwich posted:

There is also another psuedo-sciency thing they can explore in the next game: Cloning! Have it to where at some point in a future game/DLC you find out Deathshead has been making clones of himself and that is how he "survived" the blimp crash at the end of Wolf 09 and why he doesn't really recognize you at the beginning of the game. You storm the cloning facility and wind up fighting a small army of armored superdeathsheads before shutting it down.

After having him as the villain for 3 games in a row i'd be happy to just let him stay dead and focus on Engel or a new villain. There must come a day when we face off against Mecha-Hitler for real.

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

DeathSandwich posted:

You see Deathshead crawl out of the wreckage and scream at the sky after the credits of Wolf09, it's pretty clear how he survived.

I always got the impression that Deathshead was aware who BJ was, but just didn't really care. BJ's just another soldier to him, who's only notable for his refusal to die. I don't think they'd ever really seen each other for more than a few seconds in the previous games, so it would make sense that Deathshead recollection of BJ is a bit vague. I know for most of Wolf 09 the nazi's don't know who exactly BJ is other than some American agent helping the resistance fighters.

girth brooks part 2 fucked around with this message at 00:56 on May 30, 2014

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Triggsz posted:

Now that is a badass looking weapon. Kinda underwhelming to use as a regular weapon though.

After a few upgrades it's terrifyingly good as a mainstay weapon. If you can't appreciate a laser cannon that makes Nazis pop like balloons stuffed with offal, I don't know what's wrong with you.

Nuts and Gum posted:

Edit-I didn't know there was a dedicated lean key! I just used right click when holding one weapon.

Then you missed out on one of the coolest parts of the game. You've got a full analogue posture button, so you can squash down or lean around anything however you please. It fixes so much 'artificial stupidity' inherent in shooters, like stuff with gaps you can't quite see through or barriers that are just a tiny bit too tall to use in combat.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
The only thing about weapons that struck me was that the upgrade for the Marksman didn't really do anything Marksman-y. It just basically gave me a set of assault rifles that I used for robots after I'd blown my LKW load.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ravenfood posted:

The only thing about weapons that struck me was that the upgrade for the Marksman didn't really do anything Marksman-y. It just basically gave me a set of assault rifles that I used for robots after I'd blown my LKW load.
Dual-wielding laser-Marksmans in the lunar base is some Moonraker poo poo, though. I loved it.

Having said that, I didn't like the primary fire on the Marksman very much. It wasn't silenced, so every Nazi on the map knew when you'd fired a shot - if I was going to "go loud", I was better off equipping the assault rifle or something. The silenced pistol was laser-accurate at any range anyway, making the Marksman kind of superfluous.
It didn't even feel like the normal Marksman bullets had much stopping power - it wasn't like you could plink away at a Supersoldat at range and potentially bring it down like you could with the FG42 in RTCW. Definitely the least useful gun in the game.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Good writing, relatable and/or fun characters, and great world building is Starbreeze norm, and the reason I love/loved their games; but, the gunplay always felt pretty flat. The Riddick/Darkness guys got it down pat this time. Between that and the great soundtrack, I'm having a really hard time finding flaws with this game now. I guess it falls back on cutscenes to tell the story way more than Riddick/The Darkness did, that one uphill fight on the bridge level was kind of bullshit, and it's not immediately clear exactly what LAZERKRAFTWERK upgrades do? :shrug:

BJ's constant under the breath muttering, and general soft-spoken nature was great. Hearing this nazi killing machine working down his stress and anxiety over and over was a really effect, and not really reveling in the bloodshed was a really effective bit of grounding. Between that and his occasional daydreaming, it really sells BJ as an actual human being with hopes and fears. The story itself was hollywood 101, like the rest of gaming, but the writing and characterization (aside from that Jewish guy) is really appreciated and enjoyable.

As was typical of Starbreeze, they played a ridiculous premise straight, and it's not an unintentionally laughable piece of poo poo.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 02:12 on May 30, 2014

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Xenomrph posted:

Dual-wielding laser-Marksmans in the lunar base is some Moonraker poo poo, though. I loved it.

Having said that, I didn't like the primary fire on the Marksman very much. It wasn't silenced, so every Nazi on the map knew when you'd fired a shot - if I was going to "go loud", I was better off equipping the assault rifle or something. The silenced pistol was laser-accurate at any range anyway, making the Marksman kind of superfluous.
It didn't even feel like the normal Marksman bullets had much stopping power - it wasn't like you could plink away at a Supersoldat at range and potentially bring it down like you could with the FG42 in RTCW. Definitely the least useful gun in the game.
Yeah, I loved dualwielding laser-Marksmans, it just...was another set of assault rifles rather than an upgrade/change to the Marksman. I used the Marksman as an actual rifle on the Gibraltar Bridge, though, before you go through the checkpoint. There are a bunch of guns in cover with a mounted machine gun, shotgunner, and iirc an Ubersoldat and they don't really move forward, so I used the Marksman to clear out the weak people without too much of a problem. There were a few other places I guess. Its a great gun for open areas you can't really move across/around easily without getting shot up, but there aren't many of those.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

PAnick posted:

Sorry, one of those things I'm not allowed to talk about, you know how it is :)

Oh god. :fap:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

To save me the time spent taking lovely photos with my iPod, here's some guy's unboxing video for the Panzerhund Edition showing off what's in it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1rwnLIJUs4

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
So more and more I'm pretty sure that Anya doesn't have a sister. Nobody else seems to ever acknowledge it, which only fuels my delusions!

Also, someone went out of their way to model a single equippable steak knife in the Nautica level, and I salute whoever bothered to do that.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

Dominic White posted:

After a few upgrades it's terrifyingly good as a mainstay weapon. If you can't appreciate a laser cannon that makes Nazis pop like balloons stuffed with offal, I don't know what's wrong with you.

Making nazis pop like balloons stuffed with offal is exactly what i love. In fact, i love it so much that it is exactly why the LKW doesn't do good enough for me.

I wanted a gun that at the end of the game can carve a hole clean through the chest of some son-of-a-bitch nazi bastard before he can even hit the ground. And if a clean hit doesn't do it? Make the splash melt the legs or arms off in a pool of boiling blood. Melt his loving face. I want MEIN GOTT to be synonymous with the receiving end of the LKW.

And if you don't want to put up with any poo poo? Unleash a BFG-charge right at ground zero that sends tesla arcs to nearby soldiers and objects and makes them dance the electric boogaloo before The blast itself sends any nazi bastard/übersoldat/kampfhund/destructible flying straight into the nearest wall and turns them into art.

That is what i want out of the thing i've been upgrading all this time. Not just some laser that can bounce off walls. Any other weapon can do what the LKW does in it's normal mode.

Amen :clint:

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
Did you not find the charging upgrade that explodes mother fuckers?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Dewgy posted:

So more and more I'm pretty sure that Anya doesn't have a sister. Nobody else seems to ever acknowledge it, which only fuels my delusions!

Also, someone went out of their way to model a single equippable steak knife in the Nautica level, and I salute whoever bothered to do that.

Also we never see her in the Asylum. The Oliwa family only every celebrates as dad/mother/daughter/inmates in the opening bit.

Amebx
Aug 6, 2007

I believe i found all of them.

Full auto
Reflection
Strobe
Tesla
Scope
Reactor
Ammo upgrade

Did i miss anything?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I just want them to get away from B.J. now. His story is done. I honestly think he is a dull character and I would like someone else to take the spotlight.

your evil twin
Aug 23, 2010

"What we're dealing with...
is us! Those things look just like us!"

"Speak for yourself, I couldn't look that bad on a bet."

Triggsz posted:

I believe i found all of them.

Full auto
Reflection
Strobe
Tesla
Scope
Reactor
Ammo upgrade

Did i miss anything?

I heard that when you use the scope you can press and hold the fire button and it will charge up a super-powerful shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sardonik
Jul 1, 2005

if you like my dumb posts, you'll love my dumb youtube channel

Dewgy posted:

The literal first thing she asks when she gets to the resistance base is to be taught how to shoot and fight, so I think we can call it fairly conclusive.

blackguy32 posted:

I just want them to get away from B.J. now. His story is done. I honestly think he is a dull character and I would like someone else to take the spotlight.
His story can't be over while Nazis draw breath. :colbert:

• Locked thread