Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

ZeeBoi posted:

Also, some dude on the opposing team was playing without shinguards (and some lovely trainers, not cleats) and whined about being hit in the leg by someone's cleats. :v:

I play without shinguards often. My ankles often end up bloodied and bruised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

I don't play without shinguards anymore since one time when I had a full force shin on shin hit with some dude (he wasn't wearing guards either). I was lucky not to fracture anything and it hurt like a bitch for days

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

Drogadon posted:

I don't play without shinguards anymore since one time when I had a full force shin on shin hit with some dude (he wasn't wearing guards either). I was lucky not to fracture anything and it hurt like a bitch for days

I'll probably buy some when I move to Spain because it's a lot more casual here.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

If you're a beta bitch who can't take a kick to the shin maybe you shouldn't be playing the foot.

Xylorjax
Nov 27, 2002

If you play with a bunch of one-step-slower-than-they-think-they-are hackers, shin guards are a must.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

Xylorjax posted:

If you play with a bunch of one-step-slower-than-they-think-they-are hackers, shin guards are a must.

More like "just won the ball from the guy, he precedes to kick and stomp the gently caress out of you trying to get it back (he never does)"

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

But I think those are eyes...
(source)
I just found out that that my club has received a warning about members making derogatory remarks about the federations referees. Think "I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref" level poo poo. Is anyone else's league this loving previous? It's not like they're volunteers.

Umpire abuse is a goddamned institution

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Tongues posted:

I just found out that that my club has received a warning about members making derogatory remarks about the federations referees. Think "I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref" level poo poo. Is anyone else's league this loving previous? It's not like they're volunteers.

Umpire abuse is a goddamned institution

manchildren:(

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

The tournament I played in recently only got involved when the abuse escalated to "I'll wait for you outside" level, which happened twice.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

Drogadon posted:

The tournament I played in recently only got involved when the abuse escalated to "I'll wait for you outside" level, which happened twice.

We had something similar and the league gave us the option of getting rid of the player or getting the club fined into oblivion. Ha yeah we'll definitely choose the loving psycho over continuing to play the sport we forked out hundreds each for the privilege of playing.

The club has since removed the referee comments from the comments on it's webpage.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
ARAB

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)
I understand.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Life is finally stable again, so first thing is first. This is what happens to your leg when you neglect it. :nms:http://i.imgur.com/h99HvS5.jpg:nms: it got really bad infected and there was the chance of another surgery just to clean it out.

The reason it got neglected had to deal with the health of my wife and son, I was the only one able to walk (or shamble) and I had to choose between them and me. So I did what I needed to do.

poo poo has gone down since that photo a week and a half ago, but it's nowhere near completely healed up. Hopefully I'll be back to playing again in a month or so. Till then, I'm still taking pictures.

Last game of the season. B Team lost, but First Team ended up coming back from a 0-3 first half to win 4-3.

Soulex fucked around with this message at 01:10 on May 30, 2014

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Soulex posted:

Life is finally stable again, so first thing is first. This is what happens to your leg when you neglect it. :nms:http://i.imgur.com/h99HvS5.jpg:nms: it got really bad infected and there was the chance of another surgery just to clean it out.

The reason it got neglected had to deal with the health of my wife and son, I was the only one able to walk (or shamble) and I had to choose between them and me. So I did what I needed to do.

poo poo has gone down since that photo a week and a half ago, but it's nowhere near completely healed up. Hopefully I'll be back to playing again in a month or so. Till then, I'm still taking pictures.

Ewwwwwwwwww, get well soon man.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Soulex, man, you are one hard luck case. Good luck dude.

In the meantime come up with a better scar story, maybe something with sharks.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Soulex posted:

Last game of the season. B Team lost, but First Team ended up coming back from a 0-3 first half to win 4-3.

Awesome/gross picture of your leg man.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who makes retard face/hands during games. I have no idea I'm doing during the game, but every picture of me has me contorting my hands into weird shapes.

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Tigren posted:

Awesome/gross picture of your leg man.

It's good to know I'm not the only one who makes retard face/hands during games. I have no idea I'm doing during the game, but every picture of me has me contorting my hands into weird shapes.

I love shooting that dude just because of the weird poo poo he does. He's my team's Phil jones.

Yeah though, I'm pretty bad luck sometimes. Hopefully poo poo clears up soon.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

TheBigAristotle posted:

Soulex, man, you are one hard luck case. Good luck dude.

In the meantime come up with a better scar story, maybe something with sharks.

"That there's a thrasher, Hooper"

Also lollin at the bloke tryin the bicycle kick.

Figuring out if I prefer CB or a Makélélé midfield role better. Sometimes it can get boring in the back and I can't trust people to cover my runs forward

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
Our league ended and we won more games than I thought we would before the season started. We easily would of won more if we had more females on our team, half of the games they didn't have 1 sub :(

I have a question about defense in indoor. All season I was playing defense and would try and keep the people in front of me so they wouldn't blow by me or skill move past me but I think I was giving them to much room to run and get to the goal. Should I be pressuring up more on defense and step up to a guy? I would be in front of him but let him dribble down a bit so I wouldn't get beat.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014
How do you guys take care of your feet?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blueyedevil posted:

In regard to?

Play a lot, get funky callouses and deformed toes is my MO.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

Shrapnig posted:

In regard to?

Play a lot, get funky callouses and deformed toes is my MO.

Yeah, just basic foot care when it comes to blisters and stuff. I've got calluses and the blisters I get usually aren't a hindrance to running or walking but I wasn't sure if there was some way to avoid it

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

blueyedevil posted:

Yeah, just basic foot care when it comes to blisters and stuff. I've got calluses and the blisters I get usually aren't a hindrance to running or walking but I wasn't sure if there was some way to avoid it

Wear socks and shoes that fit. double layer the socks. Play often enough that your foot stays tough.

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

blueyedevil posted:

Pedicures are also heaven.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

blueyedevil posted:

Liquid bandage when you're starting to get blisters but really this

cosmicjim posted:

Wear socks and shoes that fit.

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

cosmicjim posted:

Wear socks and shoes that fit. double layer the socks. Play often enough that your foot stays tough.

I've got good fitting boots, and I wear two socks as well. How often is often enough? I'm doing once a week atm

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

blueyedevil posted:

I've got good fitting boots, and I wear two socks as well. How often is often enough? I'm doing once a week atm

Personally I'm not a fan of two pair of socks but that's just me.

If you're only playing once a week, at least try to wear your boots around the house another day or so a week.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Get some thin double layered socks but dont wear 2 pairs.

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

I wrap my big toes in sports tape or moleskin and then wear two layers as well. I get terrible blisters on the outside of my big toes and on the ball of my foot otherwise. The big toe goes first, which makes my form go to poo poo to where the ball of the foot follows, so taking care of the big toe seems to keep it all in good shape for me.

In other news, gently caress 6'3 bear keepers who come screaming out of the box on a counter, make a terrible heavy touch, get intercepted easily, then run over the chubby 5'2 girl that made said interception. If I wasn't on the sidelines when that happened, I would have run over there and probably gotten my rear end kicked.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
You guys wearing two pairs of socks need to get some smaller shoes.

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

fyallm posted:

Our league ended and we won more games than I thought we would before the season started. We easily would of won more if we had more females on our team, half of the games they didn't have 1 sub :(

I have a question about defense in indoor. All season I was playing defense and would try and keep the people in front of me so they wouldn't blow by me or skill move past me but I think I was giving them to much room to run and get to the goal. Should I be pressuring up more on defense and step up to a guy? I would be in front of him but let him dribble down a bit so I wouldn't get beat.

Defending in indoor depends on a few things. Can you play off the walls? Is the guy fast or fat? Is there anyone else defending, and are you marking zonally or man marking? I much prefer marking zonally but that's only because I've got a good sense of where my other vaguely defensive player will be as we've been playing together for like 8 years now. Generally I'll be the furthest back because I'm the only one that loves a good crunching tackle, and there'll be another player who links the two furthest forward and takes shots from half way. If that's the case I sort of float between the other teams attacking players, staying 2 or 3 yards deeper.
Once they counter, you either want to get real tight if its a speedy guy and try to muscle the ball off him when he gets it, or if its a fat slow guy you stay about a meter behind and then time your tackle so as he's about to receive the ball you speed past and intercept. If you can play off the walls all this goes to poo poo though and you basically all just congregate around the ball and no one has any space and no one moves off the ball and it sucks rear end. Turns out this is a lot of words to say 'kick em around' really.

I'm a big sperg please no one e-bully me

blueyedevil
Apr 17, 2014

Gigi Galli posted:

You guys wearing two pairs of socks need to get some smaller shoes.

my boots probably fit too tightly when I put the second pair on

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010

I'd imagine whether or not 2 pairs of socks is too tight or not depends on how tight your laces are...
One pair is just a realatively thin ankle sock and the other is my soccer sock. Everything is snug and my feet dont slide around at all. I never get blisters.

Ramagamma
Feb 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I always wear my socks I've had on at work all day plus my football socks. I used to have blisters on my feet quite frequently until I started moisturising.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Tigren posted:

Pedicures are also heaven.

Ramagamma posted:

I always wear my socks I've had on at work all day plus my football socks. I used to have blisters on my feet quite frequently until I started moisturising.

Jesus Christ

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Dont know if this helps for football but it helps in the Army. Something Ive known a lot of people to do (not me) was wear those liners under their socks. The kind women wear with skirts and dresses. It sounds odd but it was explained to me like this: It gives that extra layer to help mitigate the sock rubbing with the foot, it helps wick the sweat from your foot so your sock doesnt get too crazy wet, and lets you have the comfort of not wearing two socks.

Ive done lots of road marches, and it loving sucks to get a blister halfway through your timed 12 mile 3 hour course in full battle rattle plus packing list. So, next time I might try it. This also isnt just one person telling me this, its a lot of people.

You can also try changing your socks halfway through a game.

Edit:^^^ add that to your list

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

The only reason I've worn two socks in the past is that it helps shinpads stay on =/

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

Bogan Krkic posted:

Defending in indoor depends on a few things. Can you play off the walls?

I am guessing you mean my actual soccer abilities to play off the wall and yes.

quote:

Is the guy fast or fat?

My biggest problem is with the fast guys.

quote:

Is there anyone else defending, and are you marking zonally or man marking? I much prefer marking zonally but that's only because I've got a good sense of where my other vaguely defensive player will be as we've been playing together for like 8 years now

Usually we do zone marking (but in reality only because we have only played together one season and noone really knows how to play) and I have the right side and up some.

quote:

Generally I'll be the furthest back because I'm the only one that loves a good crunching tackle, and there'll be another player who links the two furthest forward and takes shots from half way.

I enjoy being the furthest back because I don't trust my other defensive players.

quote:

If that's the case I sort of float between the other teams attacking players, staying 2 or 3 yards deeper. Once they counter, you either want to get real tight if its a speedy guy and try to muscle the ball off him when he gets it, or if its a fat slow guy you stay about a meter behind and then time your tackle so as he's about to receive the ball you speed past and intercept.

If it's a speedy guy you get tight right around midfield? What if he zooms by you if you miss the tackling of him? Since you like to be the last resort guy won't he just have an easy goal now?

quote:

If you can play off the walls all this goes to poo poo though and you basically all just congregate around the ball and no one has any space and no one moves off the ball and it sucks rear end. Turns out this is a lot of words to say 'kick em around' really.

I'm a big sperg please no one e-bully me

I am ok with lots of words, I really want to get better and I know it takes more time playing and playing with the same people, and we already signed up for the next session which starts next Sunday.

We have just been going back and forth about our defensive stepping up alot sooner and not letting them dribble down the field vs. letting them dribble but keeping them in front of us.

Tongues
Aug 28, 2009

(source)

fyallm posted:

I am guessing you mean my actual soccer abilities to play off the wall and yes.

My biggest problem is with the fast guys.

Usually we do zone marking (but in reality only because we have only played together one season and noone really knows how to play) and I have the right side and up some.

I enjoy being the furthest back because I don't trust my other defensive players.

If it's a speedy guy you get tight right around midfield? What if he zooms by you if you miss the tackling of him? Since you like to be the last resort guy won't he just have an easy goal now?

I am ok with lots of words, I really want to get better and I know it takes more time playing and playing with the same people, and we already signed up for the next session which starts next Sunday.

We have just been going back and forth about our defensive stepping up alot sooner and not letting them dribble down the field vs. letting them dribble but keeping them in front of us.

He means off the wall in the literal sense, as in the things that hold ceilings up. In some leagues you'll have rules that let you kick the ball into walls around the playing area, some solid walls, some are made of netting that you can bang into (indoor cricket is popular in Australia and a lot of the venues overlap), others let the ball touch the wall but not the players etc.

Defending in indoor is a little different to defending outdoor since you've got less players and positions can be a lot more fluid -but the aim is the same. You want the opposition moving the ball that makes their life harder, and you do this by cutting down their space, forcing errors etc. 90% of the defensive work in football is about positioning and creating the illusion of threats to the attacking player that make them have to move the ball in a different way - tackling is almost always a last ditch effort because most good players can avoid a tackle and will go around you. Intercepting poor passes is your breab and butter as a defender, that and standing right up the arse of any player who's about to get the ball, and a little back and away from players who already have the ball - but still close enough that it's difficult for your opponent to shoot or go around you. This is called "jockeying" where I'm from and it's all about forcing an error but the key is not diving in to tackle opponents.

In indoor (sometimes it's called other things, like futsal, where they use a heavier ball that doesn't bounce so much) your style of play will depend on whatever rules your league likes, but the key is not diving in on players except as a last resort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChrisXP
Nov 25, 2004

"In football, time and space are the same thing."
How many players on each side in these indoor games? As a Brit, I find this talk of zonal/man and stepping-up bizarre for indoor fooball