Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I think my favorite thing about Allen West is that Paul Broun and Louie Gohmert voted for him to be Speaker of the House.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Joementum posted:

Joe the Plumber who is neither a plumber, nor named Joe has a big pile o' Smart Takes today.

Google “Hitler, Mao, Kim Jung Il, Castro, Stalin” is the less catchy version of Google "Ron Paul", but will probably match its success.

Lovin' how of all the ones listed, Hitler was the only one that actually died from a gun rather than a natural death (or still living in Castro's case) and even Hitler's was a self-inflicted bullet to the head.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Joementum posted:

Joe the Plumber who is neither a plumber, nor named Joe has a big pile o' Smart Takes today.

Google “Hitler, Mao, Kim Jung Il, Castro, Stalin” is the less catchy version of Google "Ron Paul", but will probably match its success.

Ha, only one of those guys died by a gun, it was by his own hand. Castro is still alive and beloved in his own country.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Joementum posted:

I involuntarily bared my teeth in anger when I read the bolded part. I know this guy's a hack trying desperately to remain somewhat relevant but come on, dude. Come on.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Republicans get promoted from shitheaded small business owner to congressmen all the time. Wingnut welfare, and if I ran a conservative party I'd be sure to staff it with the dumbest motherfuckers I could dig up from the bowels of Ohio. How else do they keep forming those 300-vote uninterrupted blocs.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Barudak posted:

Rent is absolutely insane especially compared to ownership prices. Right now in my building people rent units for more money than it costs me to pay down a 15 year loan and association fees and an additional parking space.

Rent should always cost more than the costs of a long term purchase and loan, otherwise the landlord's potentially losing money by having the property. That's basically the whole concept of renting being a viable business.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
"If you like your religion, you can keep your religion." ~ Bobby Jindal on Obama's position on religious liberty.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Joementum posted:

"If you like your religion, you can keep your religion." ~ Bobby Jindal on Obama's position on religious liberty.

Because when you think of religious freedom, the literal wannabe-theocrat seems like the best source.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Nintendo Kid posted:

Rent should always cost more than the costs of a long term purchase and loan, otherwise the landlord's potentially losing money by having the property. That's basically the whole concept of renting being a viable business.

You have the relationship backwards. A market sale price is an NPV of future market rents.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Joementum posted:

That is actually a reasonably sick burn coming from Bobby Jindal. I mean, its full of poo poo, but if you already buy into his crap that is pretty good.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
Nothing new, but it's interesting to see a story on the actual genesis of the Religious Right in a rag like Tiger Beat On the Potomac. This is like National Review running that Ta-Nehisi Coates reparations piece.

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

comes along bort posted:

Nothing new, but it's interesting to see a story on the actual genesis of the Religious Right in a rag like Tiger Beat On the Potomac. This is like National Review running that Ta-Nehisi Coates reparations piece.

Politico Magazine generally has some interesting articles. I say interesting, rather than good, because they pretty much take anybody and let them spew onto the page.

Then I read actual Politico, and get heartburn.

Then I read Politico comments, and laugh my rear end off.

tigersklaw
May 8, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

"I'm not sure why I'm here, and I think I might have had something written down but I destroyed all my documents quite by accident when I tripped and fell and dropped them into a shredder. It's a nice day though, isn't it?"

It was actually a rainy day so they moved the commencement inside. Doubt he would recall any of it though

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I have to give Dubya credit. That was a sweet duck move

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Joementum posted:

I don't get how that's a burn? Someone explain it to my dumb rear end, tia.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

AdjectiveNoun posted:

It's supposed to be a knock on Obama's "If you like your healthcare plan you can keep it" line.

Prosopagnosiac
May 19, 2007

One of us! One of us! Aqua Buddha! Aqua Buddha! One of us!

AdjectiveNoun posted:

I mean to reasonable people that statement is fine, keep your religion to yourself and out of government. But to an evangelical it's basically telling them to not try to spread the good news of Jesus's sacrifice for our Sins.

Also a reference to "if you like your plan you can keep it" quote by Obama regarding health insurance. People were legit upset that they couldn't keep their terrible high deductible plan that doesn't cover anything. He's implying that Obama is going to come after people's religions and that he's lying about it.

E; FB

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Joe the Plumber posted:

As far as me being nice, cordial, respectful – don’t hurt people’s feelings… bla bla? We tried that and look where it got us?

I'm pretty sure he never tried that.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Joementum posted:

So...if you're a Christian, Obama's going to somehow take away your Christianity? How would that even work?

I know, I know. Conservative humor isn't supposed to make sense, it's just supposed to be used to attack Democrats, but still.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Interweb I think I'd love to know about the origins of your avatar more than I'd like to know about right-wing psychology.
You don't have to tell me, but I've been wondering for years. Pls pls!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Mr Interweb posted:

So...if you're a Christian, Obama's going to somehow take away your Christianity? How would that even work?

I know, I know. Conservative humor isn't supposed to make sense, it's just supposed to be used to attack Democrats, but still.

To them, taking away your right to impose your religion on others is the same thing as taking your religion away.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Also they're gonna round up Christians and throw them in FEMA camps, any day now...

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Why is Joe the Plumber still relevant?

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
Well in the 2008 election he displayed a deep ignorance of how the marginal tax system worked and was corrected personally by Obama, so then clearly he became a conservative figurehead whom republicans could relate to very well and never forget about.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

agarjogger posted:

Interweb I think I'd love to know about the origins of your avatar more than I'd like to know about right-wing psychology.
You don't have to tell me, but I've been wondering for years. Pls pls!

This was way back, shortly after I registered. Originally the avatar, which was bought by someone else in the gaming section, was just a regular pic of Gabe Newell, with the text saying "Official SA Gaming News correspondent" (or something to that effect). Shortly after that, I seemed to rub someone the wrong way (I could be wrong, but I think it was Louisgod) and so he altered that pic to what it is right now.

Might not be the most exciting or interesting origin story, but there ya go.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

DemeaninDemon posted:

He never was :ssh:

Il Federale
Oct 10, 2012

DemeaninDemon posted:

We're all Joe the Plumber!

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
It's pretty awesome that John McCain's political legacy is going to be Sarah Palin and Joe the Plumber.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011

mcmagic posted:

It's pretty awesome that John McCain's political legacy is going to be Sarah Palin and Joe the Plumber.

And dying reviled by half of everyone who used to give him token respect, for becoming the century's greatest political coward.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Alexzandvar posted:

He obviously isn't doing it for moral reasons as Putin has such a massive history of corruption and abuse of power if he actually gave a poo poo about his message he would face US punishment rather than help prop up one of the most corrupt and power abusing governments on the planet.

Getting run through a show trial and sent to prison for life to put to death does nothing to help his message. It just makes people like you feel good while ensuring the government has reigned in a problem.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Lovin' how of all the ones listed, Hitler was the only one that actually died from a gun rather than a natural death (or still living in Castro's case) and even Hitler's was a self-inflicted bullet to the head.

Hitler also reduced gun control in Germany but expecting accuracy from a piece of poo poo like Joe the Plumber would be like expecting Allen West to do the right thing and self-immolate at the next neocon convention.

OAquinas posted:

Because when you think of religious freedom, the literal wannabe-theocrat seems like the best source.

In what way is he a wannabe theocrat? He is actively pushing theocracy through his state and it's not going to stop as long as he's around unless there is federal intervention.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Apparently Jim Webb is thinking about running for President:

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/05/19/former-sen-jim-webb-thinking-about-white-house-run/

I'd still personally prefer Sanders or Warren but I would absolutely vote for Webb over Clinton if only because Webb is the reason the Post 9/11 GI Bill exists. He proposed and pushed the largest piece of legislation to help vets in decades.

Why do we want to pay murderers that have ptsd? Give them counseling and medical care, sure.

hobbesmaster posted:

Perhaps he thinks the US is the same.

Bingo. If 2 countries are the same but one wants to jail (and prob torture you) but the other will give you asylum if you scratch their back a little, it's an easy choice.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

effectual posted:

Why do we want to pay murderers that have ptsd? Give them counseling and medical care, sure.

The main thrust of it is that it lets them do something with their lives after giving their mental and possibly physical health up for the government's sake. Having military experience on a resume helps, but not as much as a college degree.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Nebraska governor Dave Heineman reports that Nebraska can't comply with anti-prison rape measures.

quote:

Gov. Dave Heineman has told U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder the state has taken steps to comply with federal standards intended to eliminate sexual assaults in Nebraska prisons.

But while the state shares the goals of the federal Prison Rape Elimination Act, it cannot fully comply at this time or assure the Department of Justice that certain grants will be used to comply with the act.

The state showed up on a list this month of seven states and one territory that have either refused to or have not committed to comply with federal standards to combat prison sexual assault.

The Prison Rape Elimination Act, passed in 2003, had a deadline of May 15 for governors to inform the Department of Justice of their compliance with the act, or face federal penalties.

A news release from the National Prison Rape Elimination Commission said the country has far to go before sexual abuse is eliminated in its prisons.

In 2011, the Bureau of Justice Statistics reported 8,763 allegations of sexual victimization in prisons, jails and other adult correctional facilities.

In 2012, the Nebraska Department of Correctional Services reported 97 investigations of inmate-on- inmate non-consensual sex acts and abusive sexual contacts, and staff-on-inmate sexual misconduct and sexual harassment.

Of those, seven were determined to have occurred, 30 were determined not to have occurred and four have ongoing investigations. In the other cases, officials said there was not sufficient evidence to make a determination.

Heineman sent a letter May 15 to Holder saying both the Department of Correctional Services and the state Department of Health and Human Services have taken steps to comply with the standards established by the Prison Rape Elimination Act.

"Both agencies have a zero tolerance for sexual assaults in their facilities," he said. "You and I share the common goal of elimination of sexual assault in confinement facilities."

But, he said, the Justice Department requirement that an audit be conducted to certify compliance, and the delay by the department in finalizing audit instruments and training and certifying auditors have effectively made compliance impossible.

Heineman also said he was concerned that some of the standards would actually increase the likelihood of sex assault or other illegal or dangerous activities in the prisons. He noted one that requires staff of the opposite gender to announce their presence in a housing or living area.

"Such an announcement would provide an individual committing a sexual assault notice to stop the assault before the staff member arrives," Heineman said.

"For all these reasons, I cannot certify that Nebraska is PREA compliant," Heineman said. "I also will not assure the DOJ that certain grants will be used for PREA compliance."

The true issue is the federal government should be providing states with reasonable timelines and standards with which to comply, he said.

Dan Crippen, executive director of the National Governors Association, also sent Holder a letter with concerns about delays in providing states guidance to meet requirements of the act.

"It is unreasonable for the federal government to extend and ignore its statutory deadlines for more than 10 years, yet threaten states with the loss of federal funding for their failure to meet arbitrarily short and inconsistent deadlines, especially when federal facilities have not yet attained full compliance," Crippen said.

The Prison Rape Elimination Act Commission said the combination of incentives and penalties by the federal government strikes an appropriate balance aimed at supporting agencies' efforts while holding them accountable.

Nebraska Corrections Department Director Mike Kenney said in an emailed statement that the department had been working on elimination of sexual assaults since the early development stages of the act.

In 2012, the department dedicated a staff member to implementing the standards and its commitment to prevent, detect and respond to sexual assault in the prisons.

Its written policy reflects the act's standards, he said. And staff continues to be trained on the act and establishing and maintaining boundaries with inmates. Inmates are provided with information and multiple reporting methods, he said.

"All PREA protocols, from separation to investigation and through prosecution are vigorously enforced," Kenney said. "The decision to not certify compliance at this time does not and will not lessen our commitment to a zero-tolerance policy and practice."
"We totally aren't gonna certify that we're complying, but rest assured we're doing a good job. Also those grants you're giving us to implement the PREA protocols? Haha it's gonna go elsewhere."

In other Dave Heineman news, he's announced via a press conference that he's applying to be president of the University of Nebraska to great...displeasure. gently caress you just go away Dave!!!

EDIT: Oh maybe this is foreshadowing how he'll deal with sexual assault on the campuses? Joy.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 05:33 on May 30, 2014

SirKibbles
Feb 27, 2011

I didn't like your old red text so here's some dancing cash. :10bux:

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Nebraska governor Dave Heineman reports that Nebraska can't comply with anti-prison rape measures.

"We totally aren't gonna certify that we're complying, but rest assured we're doing a good job. Also those grants you're giving us to implement the PREA protocols? Haha it's gonna go elsewhere."

In other Dave Heineman news, he's announced via a press conference that he's applying to be president of the University of Nebraska to great...displeasure. gently caress you just go away Dave!!!

He already has lax standards on rape and he wants to run a college,rape on campus is already bad enough without someone who has proven they don't care about rape as long as they can rationalize a reason not to care.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

It's bad enough that the Huskers aren't the unbeatable hell beasts they were in the 90s, now Governor Jailrape here wants to run the Uni system?

NEED TOILET PAPER
Mar 22, 2013

by XyloJW

SALT CURES HAM posted:

He referred to the woman as a "true Valkyrie" and "woman of Sparta."

Allen West might just be an actual literal Nazi. :stare:

This is pretty old by the thread's standards, but as someone who has immediate family in the military there is some legit Sparta fetishization going on. Granted, this was when my relative was still in training some years ago, so chances are he's grown out of it (I haven't breached the subject yet since I'm weirded out by that sort of thing) but that sort of idolatry on the part of West isn't too far off base. Dunno about the Valkyrie poo poo, though, that's some legit Nazi stuff. At least with Sparta you have the excuse of 300 making Sparta-worship socially acceptable.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
With regards to West, I almost feel like I'm doing what Republicans do and denying my opponents' military service. But I can't help denying that West has any loving idea what the military's, about when he shoehorns in all the mythology he can find just to talk about it. I don't think I need much to support that since his tribunal or court martial came to the same conclusion.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Joementum posted:

Clinton and Bush hit the strike zone, but you leave them up and center and you're right in the power hitters' wheelhouse. Sotomayor is a headhunter, Alito is way too far to the right, and Obama is too lofty.

George W. Bush's greatest accomplishment as President was throwing a strike down the middle in one pitch while wearing a bulletproof vest before a World Series game in New York. I'm not even joking. His greatest accomplishment.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

agarjogger posted:

I don't think I need much to support that since his tribunal or court martial came to the same conclusion.

This is the big difference. The right wing takes a middling or glowing record, and then proceeds to poo poo all over it. You're taking a piss poor military record, and recognizing it for what it is. The man is a nut case. You're not denying his service. You are taking his service into account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Bush's agility, whether ducking shoes or throwing heat, can't be questioned. Dude was an interceptor pilot, even if he wandered off partway through his commission.

agarjogger posted:

With regards to West, I almost feel like I'm doing what Republicans do and denying my opponents' military service. But I can't help denying that West has any loving idea what the military's, about when he shoehorns in all the mythology he can find just to talk about it. I don't think I need much to support that since his tribunal or court martial came to the same conclusion.

His leadership style and philosophy is basically Colonel Kurtz minus excellence. He's a beast.

• Locked thread