Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

agarjogger posted:

With regards to West, I almost feel like I'm doing what Republicans do and denying my opponents' military service. But I can't help denying that West has any loving idea what the military's, about when he shoehorns in all the mythology he can find just to talk about it. I don't think I need much to support that since his tribunal or court martial came to the same conclusion.

West also acts like you can't name a planet he didn't lose on an organ on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DemeaninDemon posted:

West also acts like you can't name a planet he didn't lose on an organ on.

Lost his balls on this one.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

LorneReams posted:

The 50 cent one cracks me up everytime I see it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The blind kid probably practiced a lot more.

Oh well, I guess 50 cent will have to stick to his day job...of being a rich and famous musician.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

SedanChair posted:

Bush's agility, whether ducking shoes or throwing heat, can't be questioned. Dude was an interceptor pilot, even if he wandered off partway through his commission.
What's the difference between George W. Bush and John McCain? One's an accomplished pilot and the other is John McCain.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

SedanChair posted:

Bush's agility, whether ducking shoes or throwing heat, can't be questioned. Dude was an interceptor pilot, even if he wandered off partway through his commission.

Am I missing the joke or are you being serious here? Even neglecting that these were decades apart, the ability to operate a machine is unrelated to personal physical capabilities

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Grab any RPG man, the pilot skill is directly ties to agility or dexterity.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

SedanChair posted:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Fried Chicken posted:

Am I missing the joke or are you being serious here? Even neglecting that these were decades apart, the ability to operate a machine is unrelated to personal physical capabilities

Good job suspecting that I may have been joking. I'd accuse you of baiting a derail but hey, your thread.

A fighter jet doesn't require certain personal physical capabilities?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Just the need for speed.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Fried Chicken posted:

There is a pretty big difference between a fighter jet and a fax machine.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Is he our only president to have lost a fight with a pretzel?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Joementum posted:

Clinton and Bush hit the strike zone, but you leave them up and center and you're right in the power hitters' wheelhouse. Sotomayor is a headhunter, Alito is way too far to the right, and Obama is too lofty.

Best thing about this news story is that for whatever reason local news station at the gym has been playing these pitch clips over and over, heavily emphasizing this incredibly attractive Japanese lady doing some kinda of crazy cartwheel pitch like she's trying out for Dusty Diamonds All Star Softball.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

duz posted:

Is he our only president to have lost a fight with a pretzel?

Assassination attempt. Bush was too much of a selfless patriot to give his foes satisfaction by admitting it.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

SedanChair posted:

Good job suspecting that I may have been joking. I'd accuse you of baiting a derail but hey, your thread.

Yes, as documented in AFI 48-123v3, Medical Examinations and Standards (Flying and Special Operational Duty), Section 1.3 and Attachment 4

KEY: U-C=Uncorrected-Corrected
Item FC I FC IA
Vision (Distant, U-C) 20/70-20/20 20/200-20/20
Vision (Near, U-C) 20/30-20/20 20/40-20/20
Vision (Color) Must be normal; 5 out of 14 incorrect is disqualifying Same
Vision (Depth Perception) Must be normal Same
Height (Standing) 64"-77" Same
Height (Sitting) 34"-40" 33"-40"
Weight Normal height/weight applies plus cannot be greater than 240 for UPT (ejection seat aircraft) Height/weight applies; Fighter track UNT no greater than 240
Dental Cavities (etc) disqualifying until corrected Same
Speech Must pass Read Aloud Test (RAT); No stutter, etc Same
Blood Pressure No greater than 140/90 Same
Cholesterol Cannot be higher than 230 with HDL less than 15% of total or LDL greater than 170 Same
Migraines (or similar non-tension headaches) Disqualifying (waiverable if asymptomatic for previous year) Same
Chronic "hay fever" or sinus problems Possible issue (waiverable if allergies controllable by medication) Same
Asthma Disqualifying (if "reliably diagnosed" at any age) Same

Apologies on the clarity there, the table won't hold on phone posting. But some sort of preternatural agility isn't on the list of physical requirements. We use machines to get as much advance warning as possible, and machines to disrupt incoming fire as much as possible. We don't go for people who can dodge bullets and missiles because there is no dodging bullets and missiles - missiles track and for bullets in dogfights it's is the training that matters so you know how and when to maneuver, not how fast you can hit the controls to do so. You are moving at over a third the speed of sound, a millisecond difference in axon conductivity doesn't really matter compared to not being in that position in the first place

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
You are really pedantic about that dude's joke.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Huh. Migraines disqualify you? Did not know that. Makes sense I guess?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

New thread hopefully up this weekend, but there is a convention I have to go to so maybe not. Shouldn't be too contentious, we are still a super minority so no real stakes and the only change to the platform proposed is adding a marriage equality plank, which is expected to pass as a no brainer

Anyways, June drink of the month and thread title suggestions? I'm leaning towards US Politics June - I Need A Drink but I'm not fixed to it

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

SedanChair posted:

He played rugby in college, which is probably more indicative of athletic performance/agility.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

forbidden lesbian posted:

You are really pedantic about that dude's joke.

Welcome to Debate Disco, enjoy your stay.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

US Politics June - You are really pedantic about that dude's joke.

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
Um, Reflexes not Agility. /derail

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
The June thread title should just be a link to a list of mental health resources and/or Alcoholics Anonymous.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I can't figure out what to tell surprised and disappointed foreigners anymore so maybe something like...

US Politics June - This is America; Lower your expectations

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

OAquinas posted:

Huh. Migraines disqualify you? Did not know that. Makes sense I guess?

Well I mean not only are migraines and serious headaches physically debilitating, a lot of the time they develop visual symptoms like haloing, blurring, etc. as well as dizzines and disorientation. Not things you want your pilots developing.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

US Politics June: AA ain't got poo poo on US

Edit: In other unsurprising news, no gay groups allowed at the Texas Republican Convention.

Robviously fucked around with this message at 16:14 on May 30, 2014

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

forbidden lesbian posted:

The June thread title should just be a link to a list of mental health resources and/or Alcoholics Anonymous.

This is a good idea. Go with this.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Conservatives prefer it mano-a-mano anyway.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Is US Politics June: Alcoholics to the Left of Me, Jokers to the Right too long for the title?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shinseki out.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Not really surprising. Does this mean we get to do the Obama Appointees vs. GOP Congress dance again this year?

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Rove is saying he's not leaving yet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

FAUXTON posted:

Rove is saying he's not leaving yet.

Haha I honestly have no idea if you are joking.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

That's kind of a shame, since by all accounts I'm aware of he at least improved things from their even more abysmal previous state.

Also, the GOP can no longer block executive appointees indefinitely. Right?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
US Politics Thread For June: Cask Strength Despair

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

https://twitter.com/michaelsteele/status/472400058932281344

:iceburn:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Noted expert on leadership Michael Steele...

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

That's kind of a shame, since by all accounts I'm aware of he at least improved things from their even more abysmal previous state.

This is such poo poo. Good luck finding another 30 year veteran who actually gives a poo poo about making things better for other veterans. Speaking as a veteran and an employee of the VHA, this loving blows.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

Anyways, June drink of the month and thread title suggestions? I'm leaning towards US Politics June - I Need A Drink but I'm not fixed to it

The Benghazi committee is scheduled to kick off soon, so Republicans keep loving a Benghazi chicken :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

AlternateNu posted:

This is such poo poo. Good luck finding another 30 year veteran who actually gives a poo poo about making things better for other veterans. Speaking as a veteran and an employee of the VHA, this loving blows.

Also, James Clapper is still employed. It does suck.

• Locked thread