Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

I can answer that.

The Monastery Scimitar's weapon motion for parries is the exact same weapon motion as every other curved sword. No really, it doesn't have some sort of special unique parry.

This means that some property of the weapon itself, possibly a low moveset delay, is interacting with the regular curved-sword parry to introduce the instant parry.

So, they have two choices:

1) Edit the curved sword parry, maybe to have a guaranteed minimum delay

or

2) Edit the Monastery Scimitar and reduce its overall moveset speed. Which would make it suck.

Sounds like they chose the lesser of two evils here.

That makes sense, but it seems like it may not be the "lesser of two evils" since they could simply boost the damage or something else of the Monastery sword while preserving the parry-friendliness of the other curved swords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

This is so, but would improved damage really make up for the fact that the Monastery Scimitar is around half the length of the others? I'm not so sure.

Giving the curved sword parry a guaranteed minimum delay (say, the minimum being the speed of the second or third-fastest curved sword) seems a better deal overall, but that's me.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Tallgeese posted:

This is so, but would improved damage really make up for the fact that the Monastery Scimitar is around half the length of the others? I'm not so sure.

Giving the curved sword parry a guaranteed minimum delay (say, the minimum being the speed of the second or third-fastest curved sword) seems a better deal overall, but that's me.

In this hypothetical instance I'd say that boosting the Monastery Sc-sc-scimitar's damage would be a sort of risk-reward/challenge deal, like with a dagger. You have to get right up in their face to do your damage and your ability to make use of your damage is limited by your range.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I should learn how to parry, anybody got recommendations for the best guys to get killed by over and over?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Vermain posted:

I took it to be the Throne of Want. It's why you need the Giant Kinship to actually get to it: the Throne recognizes its own. The "prize" would logically be kept at the heart of the kingdom, and Drangleic Castle doesn't have anything else that seems related to the giants.

Isn't the Throne of Want normal sized though? It doesn't seem like a Giant would be able to sit on it.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Syan swordsmen, hollow halberdiers and the Pursuer.

Alonne knights are too fast, other hollows are too unpredictable and lion warriors don't seem to be parryable at all.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

scamtank posted:

Syan swordsmen, hollow halberdiers and the Pursuer.

Alonne knights are too fast, other hollows are too unpredictable and lion warriors don't seem to be parryable at all.

I've actually done OK in parrying Alonne Knights. They are pretty fast though.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Gotta say, some of the Black Phantoms in NG+ feel kind of overtuned. It's fine that they do poo poo loads of damage, but 4k health seems a little stupid. That's not even fun or interesting to fight it's just a brick wall of tedium.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Colapops posted:

In this hypothetical instance I'd say that boosting the Monastery Sc-sc-scimitar's damage would be a sort of risk-reward/challenge deal, like with a dagger. You have to get right up in their face to do your damage and your ability to make use of your damage is limited by your range.

They'd have to make it very high to be worth it, since they'd also be reducing the speed of attack chains a bit.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Speaking of phantoms has the red phantom at the bottom of Brightstone always been there in NG? Because I completely forgot, turned the corner, and jumped a little.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

Captain Oblivious posted:

Gotta say, some of the Black Phantoms in NG+ feel kind of overtuned. It's fine that they do poo poo loads of damage, but 4k health seems a little stupid. That's not even fun or interesting to fight it's just a brick wall of tedium.

There's something to be said for the Dark Spirits that invade you then immediately rush over to hang by other phantoms in your game. :rolleyes:

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

RBA Starblade posted:

Speaking of phantoms has the red phantom at the bottom of Brightstone always been there in NG? Because I completely forgot, turned the corner, and jumped a little.

You mean the Porcine Peasant? He's a weird character, although I don't think I've ever run into the man.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

scamtank posted:

You mean the Porcine Peasant? He's a weird character, although I don't think I've ever run into the man.

Yeah I guess so. Didn't notice until I saw a video that he has the porcine shield. I don't think I've seen anyone use that! It doesn't make up for the boar helm.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Haha i was invaded in the forest of the last giants by a dude who would take damage and then automatically heal himself one second later back to full health.

I punched him into a corner and did the spin attack constantly until he died.

Eat poo poo and die hackers :getin:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Kaldaris posted:

There's something to be said for the Dark Spirits that invade you then immediately rush over to hang by other phantoms in your game. :rolleyes:

I'm not sure I understand what you're referring to here :v:

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

RBA Starblade posted:

In the cove before the spider area? Yes, he's definitely there in NG, but he's not an invader and doesn't announce himself.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

animatorZed posted:

In the cove before the spider area? Yes, he's definitely there in NG, but he's not an invader and doesn't announce himself.

Wasn't sure if he's a random occurrence or not, thanks.

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

oldpainless posted:

Isn't the Throne of Want normal sized though? It doesn't seem like a Giant would be able to sit on it.

I actually had my own thought about this when I realized the throne looked a little odd. Take a look at it:

Normally a throne would have two surfaces, the seat and the armrests, right? But this one has that, plus another one higher up. I feel like originally, the area your character is resting their hands on was the seat of the throne, and the bits farther out are the armrests. The bit in the middle where you sit could have been carved out after it was taken from the Giants.

On the other hand, by all appearances, Vendrick and Nashandra are both giant-sized. So who would have sat in the human-sized seat before you did?

White Phosphorus
Sep 12, 2000

I have no idea what the story of DS1 or DS2 was. DS1 was something about chest, while DS2 was about but hole.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

White Phosphorus posted:

I have no idea what the story of DS1 or DS2 was. DS1 was something about chest, while DS2 was about but hole.

You pretty much got the important parts down.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Nibble posted:

I actually had my own thought about this when I realized the throne looked a little odd. Take a look at it:

Normally a throne would have two surfaces, the seat and the armrests, right? But this one has that, plus another one higher up. I feel like originally, the area your character is resting their hands on was the seat of the throne, and the bits farther out are the armrests. The bit in the middle where you sit could have been carved out after it was taken from the Giants.

On the other hand, by all appearances, Vendrick and Nashandra are both giant-sized. So who would have sat in the human-sized seat before you did?

Vendrick has a normal-size throne in Amana where his souls is at. So he was human-sized at some point.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

White Phosphorus posted:

I found Gavlan in Harvest Valley, and noticed a message on the ground behind him.

code:
dwarf but hole ahead

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nibble posted:

The true chosen one is a spider king obviously.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

oldpainless posted:

Vendrick has a normal-size throne in Amana where his souls is at. So he was human-sized at some point.

His armor is also normal sized.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Manatee Cannon posted:

The armor in the corner of his bossfight room is him-sized. It's probably a The Hulk's Stretchy Pants situation.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Powerful souls change you over time, he's lucky he wasn't warped horribly after he went hollow.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What's going to be better for my battlemage once I get back to Freja (ugh) on him in NG+, Moonlight or Crystal Soul Spear? It only has 4 shots or so doesn't it? Is it stronger than GRS?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've seen this argument used before and I think it's more of a gameplay thing than a lore thing. How do you explain all the other armor that you can wear that is originally huge like Smough's or the Looking Glass Knight's?

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Hikaki posted:

I've seen this argument used before and I think it's more of a gameplay thing than a lore thing. How do you explain all the other armor that you can wear that is originally huge like Smough's or the Looking Glass Knight's?

People trying to use that stuff as any kind of lore anchor are basically just grasping. Some people need to be reminded that it's still a video game and it's cool in a video game to get cool armor off guys you beat.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Hikaki posted:

Those aren't actually the bosses armor, you buy lookalike sets from the armor merchants. The bosses don't just drop their armor upon death.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

Those aren't actually the bosses armor, you buy lookalike sets from the armor merchants. The big guys/bosses don't just drop their armor upon death.

Right but that still doesn't account for sets like the King's set. Which as you may recall you get with his Soul.

Soooooo

Yeah it's just a game, is the answer.

NullDragon
Jun 22, 2013
Obviously, when you become hollow, you just let yourself go. Feasting on all the souls you can get, becoming bloated and gigantic.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Right but that still doesn't account for sets like the King's set. Which as you may recall you get with his Soul.

Soooooo

Yeah it's just a game, is the answer.

You get the king set in the world, in a hidden throne room with his soul. How is that not different from buying a silly hat from a merchant?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

Those aren't actually the bosses armor, you buy lookalike sets from the armor merchants. The big guys/bosses don't just drop their armor upon death.
Then how do you explain the Mastodon, Ruin and Drakekeeper armoursets maginally shrinking as you loot them from enemies?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

You get the king set in the world, in a hidden throne room with his soul. How is that not different from buying a silly hat from a merchant?

It is different, that's kind of the point I'm making. You can hand wave it like you did with the sets from a merchant, but in this case you're getting a normal size duplicate set with his Soul while the man himself is just mysteriously gigantor with similarly gigantor properties on his own (discarded) armor.

The answer is "gently caress it, because he's the King and it's a videogame that's why".

See also: The reason why most things in Dark Souls are loving huge. There's no deep reason for it, huge enemies are just easier to appreciate aesthetically and more fun to fight.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

It is different, that's kind of the point I'm making. You can hand wave it like you did with the sets from a merchant, but in this case you're getting a normal size duplicate set with his Soul while the man himself is just mysteriously gigantor with similarly gigantor properties on his own (discarded) armor.

The answer is "gently caress it, because he's the King and it's a videogame that's why".

See also: The reason why most things in Dark Souls are loving huge. There's no deep reason for it, huge enemies are just easier to appreciate aesthetically and more fun to fight.

And it being different is why I'm saying it's his actual armor. He wasn't always 20 feet tall. Why would he be when his ghost buddy and the royal sorcerer aren't?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Oh my god how is this stupid burnt effigy still going in Earthen Peak in NG+.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

oldpainless posted:

Relevant, and with spoilers:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFDBnSzn3bo

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

Souls games have a lot of really stupid stretchy-pants breaches of conduct (giant sentinels drop halberds and shields that patently aren't the size of houses, you strip the stuff you wear right off Hawkeye Gough's 20-ton corpse), but the designers went out of their way on Vendrick.

They could've just as easily had the King's soul and armor set be looted from the pile of stuff he has lying in the corner. Maybe the locked door that opens only when Vendrick is dead could've been at the back of his little jail cell, behind a hidden panel perhaps. No, the big clothes and the small clothes are both separate, permanent and distinct things in the world that don't depend on something like Ornstein absorbing Smough to change shape. They wanted to underline the disparity between the two.

What I'm saying is that the above video makes an awful lot of sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Batigh
Dec 21, 2009

RBA Starblade posted:

What's going to be better for my battlemage once I get back to Freja (ugh) on him in NG+, Moonlight or Crystal Soul Spear? It only has 4 shots or so doesn't it? Is it stronger than GRS?

Crystal Soul Spear has 3 shots at 50 attunement, it probably gains a fourth at somewhat higher attunement, but I don't know what the breakpoint is. It only takes one spell slot, though, so I highly encourage you to run Freja multiple times via Ascetics for more copies, and might as well get an extra one for the MLGS while you're at it! Sure, spider-stomps will one-shot you almost for certain, but that's part of the fun!