Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Misandu posted:

Hey man that Ball Dozer game makes for a great party drinking game.

The Balldozer is just about all we play on Wii Party U now besides some motherfucking Tabletop Baseball, which is the greatest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Luigi ghost hunting and the Metroid games on Nintendoland are really fun

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Animal Crossing: Sweet Day is excellent as well. Can get six people playing at once if you share guard duties on the gamepad.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy
Mario Kart 8 has finally replaced Mario Kart 64 as the best Mario Kart in my opinion. That Bowser Castle track is loving insane and great.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

kalonZombie posted:

Mario Kart 8 has finally replaced Mario Kart 64 as the best Mario Kart in my opinion. That Bowser Castle track is loving insane and great.

What is it about Mario Kart 64 that you liked more than Double Dash/Wii/7? I've seen other people say the same and I never really got it other than maybe as a nostalgia thing. I always felt like the series got better with each game (Not counting Super Circuit or DS)

Like I think the only thing 64 did better than the rest of the series was the battle mode.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Lemming posted:

If you don't have Nintendo Land and you have friends in real life, buy Nintendo Land. The local multiplayer games in it are the best.

Lemming posted:

If you don't have Nintendo Land and you have friends in real life, buy Nintendo Land. The local multiplayer games in it are the best.

I am in total agreement with this.

I love Monster Hunter, Wonderful 101, 3D World, etc, but no joke this game has seen more playtime from me and my friends than any other title on the console. It's a loving fantastic party game that anyone can pick up and play very quickly and have a great time.

Edit: MH might come close.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Help Im Alive posted:

What is it about Mario Kart 64 that you liked more than Double Dash/Wii/7? I've seen other people say the same and I never really got it other than maybe as a nostalgia thing. I always felt like the series got better with each game (Not counting Super Circuit or DS)

Like I think the only thing 64 did better than the rest of the series was the battle mode.

There is something to be said for simplicity. MK64 is one of those games where my buddies and I could be drunk/high off our asses and still feel like we all were on equal footing.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
MK64 sucks because there's no music in multiplayer.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Looper posted:

MK64 sucks because there's no music in multiplayer.

...what? This is just straight up wrong. I clearly remember loving the Moo Moo Field music.

Edit: I am the one who is wrong

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 30, 2014

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Yeah, I really dont understand why they didnt just make it a Mario Party game. I would be pretty excited about a new Mario Party but I just cant get excited from Nintendo Wii U party. I dont know why, it just has a ton less appeal to me.
I thought I would feel the same way, but I found the use of Mii characters actually added to the fun of Wii Party U. Especially if your friends have made Miis of themselves. Obviously that's a totally subjective call though.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

PantsBandit posted:

...what? This is just straight up wrong. I clearly remember loving the Moo Moo Field music.

Pretty sure 4 player had no music and no AI, but 2 player worked perfectly fine. I normally only had 1 person playing with me but I do remember trying 4 players a few times and it being rather jarring.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

pixaal posted:

Pretty sure 4 player had no music and no AI, but 2 player worked perfectly fine. I normally only had 1 person playing with me but I do remember trying 4 players a few times and it being rather jarring.

Well it didn't have AI but I think it did have music. I played a lot of MK64 with my roommates about a year ago and we always played with 3-4 people. I feel like I'd remember if there'd been no music.

Edit: Huh, after googling a bit it looks like people are saying there actually wasn't any music...weird I don't remember that at all.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 20:36 on May 30, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Mario Kart 64 had to cut AI racers in any VS mode, then half the frame rate and remove music in 3 or 4 player modes. The N64 just couldn't keep up with everything when it had to draw the track 4 times.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
The rocket barrel levels owned, gently caress the haters

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Help Im Alive posted:

Eh, MK is such a weird series in that no sequel has been a complete improvement over the previous. 64 had a good battle mode but really dull and boring normal tracks overall, Double Dash had really great tracks but it was such a weird game mechanically and it was by far the worst when it came to item-based bs. DS was reigned in the items but mechanically devolved into who could mash out mini-turbos due to most of the tracks being pretty simple and wide. Wii was just a hodgepodge of good and awful ideas but probably had the best track direction besides DD. 7 and 8 seem to finally moving in the right direction, but they both had terrible battle modes (and 7 has only a couple standout tracks for racing.)

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 30, 2014

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Club Nintendo is down, but I want my Pikmin code dammit! :argh:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Should have done it this morning before everyone and their mother tried to redeem it. :smug:

Electromax
May 6, 2007
MKDD always felt the weirdest to me. Like when you hit left and right, the whole kart would swivel in place instead of a shift in the direction you were pointing or something, like you were on a tiny ice patch. Hard to explain but I preferred Wii and 7 to it and even 64 felt more like driving.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Well after a particularly lovely work day I've just decided to buy the MK bundle. I called gamestop earlier today and was told they had exactly one bundle left, so hopefully it's still there. If not I guess I'll try Best Buy. Hopefully someone still has them!

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Artix posted:

Should have done it this morning before everyone and their mother tried to redeem it. :smug:

Got in, but since I bought MK8 on the eShop, it isn't showing up on my CLub Nintendo account? =/

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.
Seeing I had to go spend the day with my girlfriend at the hospital waiting for her mom to get out of surgery I decided to be an adult and spend a ton of money ahead of time to make myself cheerful.

So I bought Mario Kart 8 / Mario 3D Land at TRU, then wandered over to Gamestop and pick up Donkey Kong/Pikmin 3/Rayman Legends. I just didn't feel like spending my free game on Nintendoland when I can just pick that up cheaply in a week or so (I have a $10 credit at Gamestop due to power up points or whatever).

Thanks for the suggestions earlier, guys. I pretty much own everything worth value on the system now. :yayclod: (Now I just have about $100 in Virtual Console stuff to buy...)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Got in, but since I bought MK8 on the eShop, it isn't showing up on my CLub Nintendo account? =/

It might not show up right away but if you linked the system to the Club Nintendo account before you got the game it should soon enough.

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

The tracks on this game are really amazing. Delfino Airport, the downhill skiing track race, and the new Bowser's Castle are all particularly great. The new Bowser's Castle is just bananas.

I don't remember them giving this much attention to the returning tracks in the past. Wario Stadium is unrecognizable! The SNES remakes are gorgeous and mechanically interesting, with the bridges and water and wet turns. Also, Wario Stadium sounds exactly like and looks a lot like it should be a Sonic racing course.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Help Im Alive posted:

The only one I played since then was Double Dash (this is my first real mario kart game since then), and honestly I can't remember why I high 64 in such high regards. I do remember liking it better than Double Dash, but it's been years since I played Double Dash and all my opinions from my teenage years are so hilariously awful that I'm sure if I went back and played them both that I'd probably change my opinions.

So tl;dr: Nostalgia.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Artix posted:

I was so this morning that it was 2 AM :smug:

Hydrocodone
Sep 26, 2007

Also, I love that everyone's in their usual attire apart from the princesses. Peach, Daisy, and Rosalina came to kick rear end this time around, with full racing gear to prove it.

I'm going to imagine the Stig is Peach from now on. "The fastest princess... in the wuuurlld."

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So GAME decided to lay out one of the ultimate (if convoluted) perks of the Wii U:

https://twitter.com/GAMEdigital/status/472457433122865152/photo/1

Of course it requires one's train to provide power outlets, but this gives me so many ideas...

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

I've heard of people bringing their Wii U to play on cross-country flights, too.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That sounds illegal as hell since it uses bluetooth and bluetooth is one of the major prohibited things on a flight.

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*
Does MK8 have the same supid engine class restriction that Wii had where 50cc was Karts only and 100cc was Bikes only or are all vehicles available on all classes?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Elliotw2 posted:

That sounds illegal as hell since it uses bluetooth and bluetooth is one of the major prohibited things on a flight.

Actually the GamePad communicates entirely, including inputs, on the same RF system as the video stream. Other controllers, though, yeah.

RMZXAnarchy posted:

Does MK8 have the same supid engine class restriction that Wii had where 50cc was Karts only and 100cc was Bikes only or are all vehicles available on all classes?

No restrictions.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

Elliotw2 posted:

No, the only thing the FAA mandates these days (most international carriers have followed) is that cell phone radios be turned off, and that's more to reinforce the "no talking on cell phones" rule than anything else. Hell, lots of domestic flights these days offer WiFi, so you have to keep those radios on, and I seriously doubt they give two shits about BT.

Things have gotten a lot more relaxed since they changed the rules a few months ago. Most people keep their phones, tablets, and other poo poo on gate to gate these days. I fly 150k miles a year and it's a change I am all for.

Putting a Wii U in an underseat bag and plugging it in to a seat outlet so you can play Mario Cart remotely may be over the top but in terms of danger it's not any worse than millions of people plugging in their laptops or other crap day in and day out, all with Wifi, BT, etc enabled. The only way I see this being a problem is if someone tries to be clever and get a large 12v battery on board - people actually used to attempt that to power laptops and poo poo on overseas flights that didn't have in-seat power but it's long been cracked down on.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I hate bikes in Mario Kart. I had to say it, and I did

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Will the Wii U eat disks if it's set at an angle? I've got it at a very slight angle, maybe 10 degrees, just because that's where I had room for it. I can move stuff around if i need to I guess.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

So long as it doesn't get bumped it should read disks fine at any angle.

UncleGuito
May 8, 2005

www.ipadbackdrops.com daily wallpaper updates deserving of your iPad
Just bought a Wii U for MK8. God drat this game is awesome. Looks pretty incredible too, I'm very impressed (previously only had a PS4).

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

After you link your Wii U or 3DS XL to your Club Nintendo account, should anything show up on the Club Nintendo website?

It's been a couple of hours after linking them and I still didn't get any points or anything...

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Vinlaen posted:

After you link your Wii U or 3DS XL to your Club Nintendo account, should anything show up on the Club Nintendo website?

It's been a couple of hours after linking them and I still didn't get any points or anything...

It should show up in your "previous to do items". Separate items for coins and for linking.

Club Nintendo stuff takes awhile in general for whatever reason. Many minutes to sometimes hours. A bit of patience will go a long way.

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007

Vinlaen posted:

Yeah you should see something (if I remember correctly). At least you should see some surveys or coins deposited. Though I think Club Nintendo is getting hit pretty hard today with MK8 + the free game promotion. It was down earlier I know so I'd assume you need to give it some more time to process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Note, that you'll have to fill out a survey to get the coins. I didn't realize that after I bought my 3ds and I waited too long to do the survey. Also, it'll be difficult to do anything right now because Club Nintendo is getting hammered by people registering Mario Kart 8 for the free game.

• Locked thread