Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
codespace
May 3, 2011

nucleicmaxid posted:

Right no. I'm not defending it, merely explaining the reasoning behind it, even if it's faulty. I, personally, cannot wait until the chip thing the the UK has becomes prevalent over here.

October of 2015, according to this article.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

silencekit posted:

This one fits into that "student checkmates teacher because teachers are arrogant and useless" mold.

That girl? Albert Einstein

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
But the girl is still dumb and whales don't swallow people.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

One swallowed Jonah.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Whales can't loving swallow people.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

Kajeesus posted:

Hey man, have you ever read a little book called the bible :smug:

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kajeesus posted:

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/could-a-whale-accidentally-swallow-you-it-is-possible-26353362/?no-ist

CHECKMATE, ATHIEST.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
And then Bloodnose slammed down his money without missing a beat and turned bright red and ran out of the thread.

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!
The bible doesn't even say it was a whale. It says it was a big fish, so gently caress her.

silencekit
May 1, 2014

JK! posted:

The bible doesn't even say it was a whale. It says it was a big fish, so gently caress her.

Herman Melville also sperged out about how whales are fish, not mammals. So the little girl in the story was probably either Herman Melville, Albert Einstein, or God Himself.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Bloodnose posted:

My father writes CHECK PHOTO ID in the signature box on all his cards because he's paranoid about identity theft. These things happen I guess.

when I was working retail, at least half of the people who wrote CHECK ID on the backs of their credit cards would get really offended if you actually asked to see their ID

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Well, finally encountered a story in my life that belongs here

quote:

Overheard at a grocery by someone waiting in line (you already know this is fake, drat that was fast) behind a woman speaking on her cellphone in another language. Ahead of her was a white man. After the woman hangs up, he speaks up.

Man: "I didn't want to say anything while you were on the phone but you're in America now. You need to speak English."

Woman: "Excuse me?"

Man: *very slow* "If you want to speak Mexican, go back to Mexico. In America, we speak English." (you already know where this is going)

Woman: "Sir, I was speaking Navajo. If you want to speak English, go back to England."

And that Navajo woman was Albert Einstein.

Always with the weird stilted language that nobody would ever naturally say. What is it with STDH, there's a whole code to it.

And the guy is nice enough to wait for her to finish her call before berating her. (Guess that might actually be American) But if it was on a cellphone, couldn't she be like talking to her grandma who does live in Mexico or something? It just doesn't really make sense as something to be offended by, even if you're that kinda person, but I guess I'm massively overanalyzing what never had much thought put into it in the first place.

silencekit posted:

This one fits into that "student checkmates teacher because teachers are arrogant and useless" mold.

Written in a voice that no newspaper has ever used.

Zaphod42 has a new favorite as of 22:56 on May 28, 2014

empty whippet box
Jun 9, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

silencekit posted:

This is another one of those "obviously meant to be a cute joke" things, guys. Nobody thinks this happened.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

It's pretty much a dad joke for the Bible study crowd.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Seventh Arrow posted:

It's pretty much a dad joke for the Bible study crowd.

gently caress you, my dad jokes are awesome :colbert:

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Bloodnose posted:

My father writes CHECK PHOTO ID in the signature box on all his cards because he's paranoid about identity theft. These things happen I guess.

My old boss did this, except then he would give me his card to go buy stuff for jobs.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
:eng101:Fun fact: Your credit card is not valid until signed. If a retailer is presented with an unsigned credit card, the card issuer requires the retailer to check the card against a customer's photo ID and have the customer sign in their presence.
If anything but their signature is written on that line, the card is invalid.
http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/pdf/Unsigned_Credit_Cards-(Global).pdf
There's a PDF from Mastercard, and all the major credit card providers have similar rules.

Retailers are (sort of) not supposed to require photo identification to process a transaction with a valid, signed credit card.

Armed with this knowledge and smugness, you can be the protagonist of a real life STDH.txt story as you explain to the bored teenager that you don't really have to show your photo ID, but I guess I will.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

canyoneer posted:

:eng101:Fun fact: Your credit card is not valid until signed. If a retailer is presented with an unsigned credit card, the card issuer requires the retailer to check the card against a customer's photo ID and have the customer sign in their presence.
If anything but their signature is written on that line, the card is invalid.
http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/pdf/Unsigned_Credit_Cards-(Global).pdf
There's a PDF from Mastercard, and all the major credit card providers have similar rules.

Retailers are (sort of) not supposed to require photo identification to process a transaction with a valid, signed credit card.

Armed with this knowledge and smugness, you can be the protagonist of a real life STDH.txt story as you explain to the bored teenager that you don't really have to show your photo ID, but I guess I will.

I had a friend who actually did get in an enormous fight with another cashier at the store where she worked over this. She is SUPER PEDANTIC, though, and when she told me the story it ended with her, tumblr-style, "shaking and crying", so... grain of salt, I guess.

I've worked retail and it amazes me how many people think it's my responsibility to prevent credit card fraud. I do not get paid enough to care about that poo poo.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Evelyn Nesbit posted:

I've worked retail and it amazes me how many people think it's my responsibility to prevent credit card fraud. I do not get paid enough to care about that poo poo.

On the flip side, I had people literally storm out of the store in a huff when we asked for their IDs for credit card purchases.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

InediblePenguin posted:

when I was working retail, at least half of the people who wrote CHECK ID on the backs of their credit cards would get really offended if you actually asked to see their ID

Yeah this was always the worst.

Ma'am would you mind showing me some ID, your card says
HUFF GROAN UGH FINE JESUS CHRIST IM JUST TRYING TO BUY A COFFEE

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
I get the opposite end of the spectrum, where somehow every customer I get flips out if I don't cross-reference the credit card signature against three separate forms of identification.

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.
My store has you check the last four numbers of the printed account number against what the mag strip tells the register the number is, as I guess they've decided the biggest threat in terms of credit fraud is swiping numbers using an RFID scanner or getting them from gas pumps then putting it on a dummy card with your name on it. I used to ask people to read me the numbers on their card, but 80% of people would go for the CID number on the back of cards and just waste time, so now I just ask to see their card after they swipe it and do it myself. The point of this is that people get offended at the notion of me just looking at the front of their card, and it makes me glad we don't have to ask for ID.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If someone uses their card, I ask for ID. Then I look from ID to card to person, card to person to id, scrutinize signatures to be sure they match, person to card, to ID, person to ID to card, recheck signatures, then move my head in a triangular shape for 30 seconds from ID to card to person. My eyes are suspicious during this entire process.

Then I call a manager.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

youll always be so sleepy when youre this tiny *plompf*

oldpainless posted:

Then I call a manager.

Then everyone stands up and applauds, and the customer, red-faced and indignant, storms out of the store.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

oldpainless posted:

If someone uses their card, I ask for ID. Then I look from ID to card to person, card to person to id, scrutinize signatures to be sure they match, person to card, to ID, person to ID to card, recheck signatures, then move my head in a triangular shape for 30 seconds from ID to card to person. My eyes are suspicious during this entire process.

Then I call a manager.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010
To end credit card chat I have this toughguy.txt revenge fantasy from an expat forum

quote:

I spent about a minute beating a man into submission on the sidewalk today- in full-view of an onlooking crowd in Tianhe Guangzhou.

I'm usually a very cool, calm, and level-headed person, but I lost it today. The man that I beat had the audacity to ride a motorized bicycle on a severely crowded sidewalk during noon rush. He crashed directly into me when I clearly had the right of way. I saw him coming, but those motorized bikes can be quite quick, I had little time to avoid the inevitable. I was knocked on the ground with a nearly 15cm long slash across my left forearm. He didn't fall down. What enraged me was the man stopped his bike, looked back at me, and said 'gently caress you.' IN BROKEN ENGLISH.

I bolted up, rushed over, shoved the guy off his bike, and beat him till he was unconscious. And then I fled the scene quickly. I'm on the train back to Kowloon now, so the chance of getting caught is minimal. I hope.

Has anyone else ever just flew into a rage like that?

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Farmland Park posted:

To end credit card chat I have this toughguy.txt revenge fantasy from an expat forum

I love how the worst offense in his opinion is that the other guy doesn't speak English as his first language

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Farmland Park posted:

All those stories start as pretty believable, but then the protagonists becomes a sex guru superman against all odds all of a sudden. I bet this guy was hit, humiliated (IN BROKEN ENGLISH) and couldn't do anything about it. The story is considerably unusual not to share, but too shameful to tell unaltered.

into the void
Feb 13, 2011

Paladinus posted:

All those stories start as pretty believable, but then the protagonists becomes a sex guru superman against all odds all of a sudden. I bet this guy was hit, humiliated (IN BROKEN ENGLISH) and couldn't do anything about it. The story is considerably unusual not to share, but too shameful to tell unaltered.

I've also noticed a tendency in bullshit stories like this to finish with a question. As if they were just sharing a totally happened story for the purposes of starting a conversation. Which is basically an invitation for others to share their fantasies and have a circle jerk conversation that 'yes, this all absolutely happened'.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
I admit that I laughed at this, but I know it isn't real: http://www.tickld.com/x/i-wish-this-man-was-my-father-hes-hilarious (Safe for work)

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Some of the stuff David Thorne is obviously made up, but some of it is real. For instance, I'm pretty sure that the email exchange with the Australian authorities threatening to shut down his website actually took place (for those who don't visit his website, he posted a joke ad for a "business investment opportunity"---giving him $5150 to buy drugs and a cool briefcase to sell them out of). I believe some of the snarky email exchanges take place, but that obviously the intraoffice shenanigans are either fake or extremely exaggerated.

But I could be completely wrong about any of them being real, I suppose.

While we're on that topic, here's an unrelated email exchange that may well be STDH (though I want to believe it did happen):

"dude has a whole website of these posted:

Original ad:
**** Disguisable weapons wanted ****
Wanted: hidden blades, belt buckle knives, cane swords, etc.....
Offering: cash, items for barter
From Me to **********@***********.org:

Hey,

I saw your ad looking for concealable/disguised weapons. I have several fine-crafted items you may be interested in. Respond if you are interested and I will send you pictures and prices.

Thanks,

Mike

From Jeff ****** to Me:

I am. lets see what you got.

From Me to Jeff ******:

Jeff,

Here you go:

Looks like a normal spoon, right?

Wrong. It is actually a deadly 2.5" half-smooth, half-serrated knife with tactical grip. One minute you are enjoying a bowl of cereal, and the next you are fighting off attackers with this deadly and disguised weapon.

I am asking $50 for the blade. Let me know if you want to stop by and take a look at it.

Mike

From Jeff ****** to Me:

that is stupid as hell and looks like crap. unless you have anything better to offer, dont waste my time.

From Me to Jeff ******:

Jeff,

I am sorry you feel that way about the spoon blade. I do have some other weapons that I think you will feel differently about.

Mike

From Jeff ****** to Me:

fine. but if it is another knife duct taped to a spoon then you can gently caress off.

From Me to Jeff ******:

Jeff,

Thank you for re-considering. Here are three quality disguised weapons that I think you will love:

At first glance, this looks like a normal party cup. However, if you look close enough, you will see that it is really a fully automatic Glock 18C. You will be able to pour your enemies a nice warm cup of lead with this fine purchase. Asking $900 for the gun/cup combo.

Still thirsty for justice? Try this badass M16A2 disguised as a 24-pack of soda. The box has two finely crafted holes on each side to allow for any kind of optics (not included) that you wish to attach. This weapon is only for sale if you have a Class III permit.

This cleverly disguised weapon may look like a tissue box, but is actually a Benelli M3 12 gauge shotgun disguised as a tissue box. The ultra-soft quilted tissues serve as a comfortable grip on the pump-action shotgun. Also, if you find yourself sneezing during the heat of combat, you will have a handy tissue box ready for action. Asking $1500 for the weapon. Additional tissue boxes are an extra $5 per box.

Let me know if you want any of these items.

Thanks,

Mike

From Jeff ****** to Me:

youre a loving dumbass, shitbrained, asswipe, retarded dipshit. you prob walk around with that poo poo too you dumb mother fucker. I hope you get hit by a car. gently caress off, eat poo poo, and die.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
I've seen that hidden weapons one before. I choose to believe it's true as it's much funnier that way :colbert:

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

Saw this poo poo in my facebook feed today.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Noyemi K posted:

Saw this poo poo in my facebook feed today.

What's unbelievable about that?

Lord Chumley
May 14, 2007

Embrace your destiny.

trickybiscuits posted:

The first 15 or so paragraphs.

Noyemi K
Dec 9, 2012

trickybiscuits posted:

Just about everything. And the person who posted this has a habit of posting this kind of STDH stories found on poo poo like 9gag (this was found on tickld or whatever the gently caress it was called).

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof

Farmland Park posted:

quote:
I spent about a minute beating a man into submission on the sidewalk today- in full-view of an onlooking crowd in Tianhe Guangzhou.

I'm usually a very cool, calm, and level-headed person, but I lost it today. The man that I beat had the audacity to ride a motorized bicycle on a severely crowded sidewalk during noon rush. He crashed directly into me when I clearly had the right of way. I saw him coming, but those motorized bikes can be quite quick, I had little time to avoid the inevitable. I was knocked on the ground with a nearly 15cm long slash across my left forearm. He didn't fall down. What enraged me was the man stopped his bike, looked back at me, and said 'gently caress you.' IN BROKEN ENGLISH.

I bolted up, rushed over, shoved the guy off his bike, and beat him till he was unconscious. And then I fled the scene quickly. I'm on the train back to Kowloon now, so the chance of getting caught is minimal. I hope.

Has anyone else ever just flew into a rage like that?

Wait...how do you say "gently caress you" in broken English?

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

Marley Wants More posted:

Wait...how do you say "gently caress you" in broken English?

Probably in some stereotyped "china man" accent.

Marley Wants More
Oct 22, 2005

woof
I thought broken English was something like...

***ALERT**NOT A RACIST**FOR DEMONSTRATION PURPOSES ONLY**REPEAT**NOT A RACIST***

...saying "Me go store now" instead of "I'm going to go to the store now".

I hate it when poo poo that didn't happen sounds like poo poo that didn't happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Broken English is what it sounds like when someone has only a basic level of knowledge of the language. They can express ideas but do not follow grammar or syntax rule.

It happens at some point when you're trying to learn a language, there's nothing racist about it unless you're stereotyping that everyone from X speaks like that. I spoke broken English when I was 10, I speak broken Spanish now. I run into a heck of a lot of people who speak broken French. I'm sure there's a more politically correct way to say it ("their English isn't very good", "he spoke English with difficulty", whatever) but it's a short and convenient way of putting it.

What that guy meant was probably "thickly accented", because it's hard to gently caress up "gently caress you" otherwise.

• Locked thread