Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

I just picked it up, and played the first mission and futzed around in the open world for a few moments before quitting to get ready for work. Seems pretty decent, but I don't have much to go on.

I think some of the side dressing open world stuff is really goofy in a good way. Like, you can check in to locations on your phone, and each spot has a leaderboard for most checkins, the leader of which is considered that location's "mayor." That's super dumb, but in the best possible way.

It has Screeching Weasel on the soundtrack, too, which is amazing. Between this and GTA V it's like open world game soundtracks are really starting to "get" genres other than classic rock and rap.

E: Oh, also, this is the first game that I was succesfully able to start playing before the installation finished, so there's that.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 14:57 on May 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast

Funkmaster General posted:

I just picked it up, and played the first mission and futzed around in the open world for a few moments before quitting to get ready for work. Seems pretty decent, but I don't have much to go on.

I think some of the side dressing open world stuff is really goofy in a good way. Like, you can check in to locations on your phone, and each spot has a leaderboard for most checkins, the leader of which is considered that location's "mayor." That's super dumb, but in the best possible way.

It has Screeching Weasel on the soundtrack, too, which is amazing. Between this and GTA V it's like open world game soundtracks are really starting to "get" genres other than classic rock and rap.

E: Oh, also, this is the first game that I was succesfully able to start playing before the installation finished, so there's that.

All the reviews I read had good things to say about the goofy side content, which is usuaully a good sign in an open world type game. I guess I am still looking forward to it. I think my plan at this point is:

1. Buy Watch Dogs and hopefully get 20 hours of enjoyment out of it.
2. Trade it in for ~35 bucks and then use that to get Mario Kart for ~25.
3. Get free copy of Pikmin with Mario Kart.

So then I will have gotten 3 decent-to-good games for like 90 bucks?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

univbee posted:

Trailers tend to be doing this a lot, maybe as a subtle nod to lead platform? The Call of Duty: Advanced Warframe trailers only mention the 360 and Xbox One versions but the game will be on PS3, PS4 and PC as well.

Attaching those logos like that to ads is paid for. Microsoft paid good money to have the Xbox 360 logo attached to all of the Call of Duty ads, for example.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

That's literally just foursquare.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug
I grabbed super time force last week and it is the poo poo. The time rewind thing is a badass mechanic because it lets you be a completionist without enduring any of the usual pain like taking a path that precludes you from getting an item or taking an alternate path and wandering into some horrible trap. When bad poo poo happens you rewind a bit, do the extra OCD thing with another guy, then rewind and proceed as normal while the guy you just used goes and gets that extra item for you.

Oh, and beating bosses by layering 30 guys worth of attacks on them at once is comical and awesome.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm only an hour in, but I'm enjoying Watchdogs. My only real complaint is that, even with your phone away, the default view seems to be always looking down.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

Dren posted:

I grabbed super time force last week and it is the poo poo. The time rewind thing is a badass mechanic because it lets you be a completionist without enduring any of the usual pain like taking a path that precludes you from getting an item or taking an alternate path and wandering into some horrible trap. When bad poo poo happens you rewind a bit, do the extra OCD thing with another guy, then rewind and proceed as normal while the guy you just used goes and gets that extra item for you.

Oh, and beating bosses by layering 30 guys worth of attacks on them at once is comical and awesome.

This. I wasn't sure about the game when I got it but after the first few rewinds on the first level I was sold. Starting off the first boss battle with two shielders on the platforms was fun. Having 30 guys firing from all angles as the final video was just awesome to watch. He died within 10 seconds I think.

It's a really fun game and definitely worth the money. I hope they make a sequel.

Going to watch some watchdogs gameplay before I pick it up I guess. I don't need to pay $60 for a game I'll get bored of super quick.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

A c E posted:

This. I wasn't sure about the game when I got it but after the first few rewinds on the first level I was sold. Starting off the first boss battle with two shielders on the platforms was fun. Having 30 guys firing from all angles as the final video was just awesome to watch. He died within 10 seconds I think.

It's a really fun game and definitely worth the money. I hope they make a sequel.

Same, I'd at least like to see more complex puzzles that have to do with managing your rewinds to properly time events and open up the path for your main character. Or more puzzles where you need to layer the skills of the different characters. I feel like they didn't get too deep with those sorts of puzzles, probably because they were afraid they'd lose people.

I watched the penny arcade dudes stream it and they were having trouble grasping that after you'd gotten a powerup you could rewind to before you shot the powerup in order to shoot it again so I feel like people probably have a bit of difficulty with the nuances of the time travel mechanic at first.

Mitsune
Jun 24, 2005

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

All the reviews I read had good things to say about the goofy side content, which is usuaully a good sign in an open world type game. I guess I am still looking forward to it. I think my plan at this point is:

1. Buy Watch Dogs and hopefully get 20 hours of enjoyment out of it.
2. Trade it in for ~35 bucks and then use that to get Mario Kart for ~25.
3. Get free copy of Pikmin with Mario Kart.

So then I will have gotten 3 decent-to-good games for like 90 bucks?

That was my original plan, but I don't think I can burn through Watch Dogs before Mario Kart comes out (this Friday). This weekend can't come soon enough!

FYI: Watch Dogs is 10% off with Target's Cartwheel app (Expires May 31, 2014 and valid for PS3/4, Xbox 360/One, and PC).

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

open world game soundtracks are really starting to "get" genres other than classic rock and rap.

For a guy named after Funk, you sure know little about Driver: San Francisco. :colbert:

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

A c E posted:

I'm loving super time force too. There's the extra characters 'the lookers' to unlock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGNfQGsR1Nk

It's pretty goddamn hard on some levels.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
Does anyone else have a problem with their controller where it doesn't also turn on the box?

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

Dren posted:

Same, I'd at least like to see more complex puzzles that have to do with managing your rewinds to properly time events and open up the path for your main character. Or more puzzles where you need to layer the skills of the different characters. I feel like they didn't get too deep with those sorts of puzzles, probably because they were afraid they'd lose people.

There is a super hardcore mode where you can only use each character once (Unless you save them with a rewind). Should put some complexity in for each of the characters instead of spamming your favorite one over and over again.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

MrBond posted:

Does anyone else have a problem with their controller where it doesn't also turn on the box?

Do you have HDMI control turned on? I thought I had this problem because it takes for loving ever* for the controller to turn on my Xbox, then turn on my stereo tuner, then turn on my TV, then adjust to the right input. The PS3 takes about 20 seconds to cold start from controller to all my devices on, while the Xbone takes about 90 seconds. At least I don't have to manually turn everything on like I had to with the 360 though.

I also don't use the "always on" because I'm not going to use 15 watts for standby to save 80 seconds of my time the once a week I use the Bone. It's too bad the cold boot takes so long now. My computer starts up faster.

*relatively

Saladman fucked around with this message at 10:42 on May 28, 2014

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Crafty posted:

I'm loving super time force too. There's the extra characters 'the lookers' to unlock. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGNfQGsR1Nk

It's pretty goddamn hard on some levels.

Oh poo poo I didn't know about that. Neat! I was wondering what the time countdown once I hit that squiggly thing was all about.

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Saladman posted:

Do you have HDMI control turned on? I thought I had this problem because it takes for loving ever* for the controller to turn on my Xbox, then turn on my stereo tuner, then turn on my TV, then adjust to the right input. The PS3 takes about 20 seconds to cold start from controller to all my devices on, while the Xbone takes about 90 seconds. At least I don't have to manually turn everything on like I had to with the 360 though.

I also don't use the "always on" because I'm not going to use 15 watts for standby to save 80 seconds of my time the once a week I use the Bone. It's too bad the cold boot takes so long now. My computer starts up faster.

*relatively

I might? Usually my TV's already on though because the bone doesn't like my HDMI switcher. The problem I'm seeing is turn the controller on, but the xbox doesn't even acknowledge or blink unless i get up and press on the main box. It's paired because once the xbox boots up the controller works and is recognized etc. I've never ever had this problem with a 360.

Yeah it's bizarre to me that Windows 8 with UEFI boots super fast but the xbox is incredibly slow. About the only thing I have that boots slower is a tivo.

edit: kotaku updated their xbox review and it's even handed I think. I generally agree with their points http://kotaku.com/xbox-one-review-update-six-months-later-1582733858

MrBond fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 28, 2014

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Super time force looks like it's extremely my poo poo. Really glad it's only a timed exclusive.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Mitsune posted:

That was my original plan, but I don't think I can burn through Watch Dogs before Mario Kart comes out (this Friday). This weekend can't come soon enough!

Yeah, I think I am going to have to miss Mario Kart on launch day and just pick it up in a week or two. I am enjoying Watch Dogs much more than early impressions on >Games and reviews and such would have led me to believe that I would.

\/\/\/\/ I watched that earlier, that game looks cool as heck

WinnebagoWarrior fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 29, 2014

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
A new teaser for Quantum Break was released today https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5cwivOXBqw

Unfortunately they also announced that Quantum Break's release date is 2015 and that they'll be showing off more footage at Gamescom in August, so I guess that means no E3 footage.

I wanted a good serious single player game to play this year :(.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Well my Kinect broke. not sure how, or why, but it gets no power after multiple disconnections for 10 seconds and hard resets.

If I didnt use 'xbox record that' like 10 times a session I wouldnt care.

Whhhhhyyyyy couldnt they just build the mic for voice commands into the console.

Interestingly though my warranty is until feb 2016. was the warranty period every made obvious?

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

It's a one year warranty unless you buy extended coverage.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Mine expires Feb 16, 2016, console and kinect.

Didnt pay for extra coverage either.

EDIT: and i got it on launch day also.

Laserface fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 30, 2014

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.
Australia has a longer warranty if you register the console online, just over 2 years total coverage. My warranty expires Feb 25, 2016. I think that's because we have mandatory warranty laws here, a device has to work for a "reasonable" time. Microsoft probably upped the warranty because they'd have to do it anyway. The same might apply to other countries if they have similar laws, but I'm not sure.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
On the plus side, once it's out of warranty and breaks, you could just buy it on eBay for like two dollars ( http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/XBOX-ONE-KINECT-2-0-SENSOR-/171342202529?pt=UK_Motion_Sensors_Cameras&hash=item27e4ca86a1 )

It's kind of weird it's not listed on Amazon at all. Can vendors suppress sales of parts on Amazon? I'd sure unload mine if I could get a decent price for it. Oh no but then I wouldn't be able to play that one indie game where your shadow changes the level :/. That's still the only thing I've ever even seen a suggestion of for the Kinect that I would ever consider using.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Saladman posted:

It's kind of weird it's not listed on Amazon at all. Can vendors suppress sales of parts on Amazon? I'd sure unload mine if I could get a decent price for it. Oh no but then I wouldn't be able to play that one indie game where your shadow changes the level :/. That's still the only thing I've ever even seen a suggestion of for the Kinect that I would ever consider using.

Why would they be listed on Amazon or anywhere else though? Every xbone is still under warranty and every bone comes with the Kinect (for another 2 weeks at least). So everyone has a Kinect and even if they break you can just get MS to replace it under warrenty. Who would the consumer base for the Kinect 2.0 on Amazon be?

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Why would they be listed on Amazon or anywhere else though? Every xbone is still under warranty and every bone comes with the Kinect (for another 2 weeks at least). So everyone has a Kinect and even if they break you can just get MS to replace it under warrenty. Who would the consumer base for the Kinect 2.0 on Amazon be?

I've heard of people using them as cameras and hooking them up to computers for their own purposes (apparently it's a good microphone and camera for the price?) but maybe this was some bogus hypothetical. I couldn't actually find anything about it when I just looked it up.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Saladman posted:

I've heard of people using them as cameras and hooking them up to computers for their own purposes (apparently it's a good microphone and camera for the price?) but maybe this was some bogus hypothetical. I couldn't actually find anything about it when I just looked it up.

Kinect 2 uses a proprietary connector and there's no way for it to interface with a PC at this time.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Ryse has to be the worst button masher hack/slash I have ever played. Glad I borrowed it rather than paying for it.

SmokeyXIII
Apr 19, 2008
Not Stephen Harper in Disguise.

That is simply not true.
I'm sad that it seems new games are going to be $70 now, at least in Canada. Not that it even really makes too much financial difference but subconsciously it makes me think that my game needs to be better to justify it, and I know they won't be.

chaymie
Apr 5, 2008
I would like to preface with this: I am not posting this to troll or harass. I want to hear your side of the story; I'm genuinely interested.

Why did you choose the Xbox One over the PS4?

Did you know about each console's strength's and weaknesses before purchasing?

How do you feel about a controller that has 50 dollars in attachments just to be rechargeable and support headsets?

Do you regret buying an Xbox One?

Do you plan on getting a PS4 or transitioning to PC?

Does the lack of bluetooth support or upgradable hard drive bother you?

Is your friends list smaller than you would have expected for this console?

What is the appeal of a multi-platform game on the One if it isn't the graphics or frame rate? Sure, the game can still be enjoyable without the visual bells and whistles, but the games and consoles are the same price. Higher frame rate and resolution don't cost extra.

Looking back, would you have rather bought a PS4 for cross-platform, enjoyed better game quality, and bought an Xbox One solely for the exclusives, once those exclusives come out? After all, the PS4 would probably have some exclusive's you'd like.

I'd really appreciate sincere responses.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Chamber 9 posted:

1) Why did you choose the Xbox One over the PS4?

2) Did you know about each console's strength's and weaknesses before purchasing?

3) How do you feel about a controller that has 50 dollars in attachments just to be rechargeable and support headsets?

4) Do you regret buying an Xbox One?

5) Do you plan on getting a PS4 or transitioning to PC?

6) Does the lack of bluetooth support or upgradable hard drive bother you?

7) Is your friends list smaller than you would have expected for this console?

8) What is the appeal of a multi-platform game on the One if it isn't the graphics or frame rate? Sure, the game can still be enjoyable without the visual bells and whistles, but the games and consoles are the same price. Higher frame rate and resolution don't cost extra.

9) Looking back, would you have rather bought a PS4 for cross-platform, enjoyed better game quality, and bought an Xbox One solely for the exclusives, once those exclusives come out? After all, the PS4 would probably have some exclusive's you'd like.

1) I have a big group of friends on Live, and I hate all versions of the dual shock. Even the new one.

2) Yes

3) I like the fact that the controller has the option to have normal batteries. I've had bad luck with rechargeable batteries, both Xbox and PS.

4) No, it's fun and works well

5) I'm thinking about getting a gaming PC for games that will never appear on consoles. The only way I'd get a PS4 is if the new Uncharted kills the world.

6) I don't care about Bluetooth, and the hard drive upgrade is coming in a few weeks.

7) No, the big gamers on my friends list have an Xbox One, but the ones that never played much anyway don't. It's a natural early-gen adoption.

8) Friends and not dealing with the goddamn dual shock.

9) No. With the exception of Uncharted, I have no use of anything PS exclusive.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Chamber 9 posted:

Never cared much for Sony's big exclusives. There's stuff I wish I had access to, for sure, but there'd be a bigger list of Xbox games I'd wish I had access to (judging by the previous generation).

Chamber 9 posted:

Yep.

Chamber 9 posted:

How do you feel about a controller that has 50 dollars in attachments just to be rechargeable and support headsets?

Doesn't bother me, mostly because I don't own any headsets outside of the 360/Xbone headsets, and I'm willing to put up with batteries. I really like the form factor of the 360 and bone controllers better than the dualshock line, too, so that's part of it.

Chamber 9 posted:

No, although I do wish I'd waited for the kinectless option, since I rarely use voice controls and will probably never play a camera-driven game.

Chamber 9 posted:

I'll probably end up with both a PS4 and a new gaming rig within the next few years, but not for the reason you're implying.

Chamber 9 posted:

The former, no. The latter, yes. Although USB drive support basically makes it a moot point.

Chamber 9 posted:

It's smaller than my 360 friendslist obviously, but it's still early days for the console and I was an early adopter. It'll grow.

Chamber 9 posted:

What is the appeal of a multi-platform game on the One if it isn't the graphics or frame rate? Sure, the game can still be enjoyable without the visual bells and whistles, but the games and consoles are the same price. Higher frame rate and resolution don't cost extra.

The differences don't usually bother me, and I don't care much for the dualshock. The achievement system is a little better than trophies, too, although that's not a huge deal.

Chamber 9 posted:

Looking back, would you have rather bought a PS4 for cross-platform, enjoyed better game quality, and bought an Xbox One solely for the exclusives, once those exclusives come out? After all, the PS4 would probably have some exclusive's you'd like.

Nah, see my answer to above. I'm more likely to do the opposite, at least until PS4 development advances to a point where the differences in game versions are much more significant.

eyebeem
Jul 18, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Funny... $19.99 bought me a killer charging dock and two rechargeable battery packs.

I don't use headsets because I'm not 14 years old.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Chamber 9 posted:

I would like to preface with this: I am not posting this to troll or harass. I want to hear your side of the story; I'm genuinely interested.

I'd really appreciate sincere responses.

I bought both consoles, don't regret either and own a (underpowered) pcThe Binding of Isaac machine. The shocking truth is that you buy an Xbox because you wanna play Xbox games :ssh:.

e: I also own a Wii U and a Vita so I am a crazy person.

Ronald Duck
Jun 26, 2005
My mum says I’m cool.

Blue Raider posted:

and the hard drive upgrade is coming in a few weeks.

And surprisingly it actually makes games load faster then the internal drive. I assumed that the USB port would slow it down, but lots of people have said they've shaved a decent amount of time off the Forza loading times.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

How is the achievement system better than trophies? I've gone from a 360 to a PS3 and I honestly can't see that at all. You even get rarity information on PS4 trophies which seems like a big plus to me.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Stux posted:

How is the achievement system better than trophies? I've gone from a 360 to a PS3 and I honestly can't see that at all. You even get rarity information on PS4 trophies which seems like a big plus to me.

There's a number value attached to it? I don't know. I guess people that care about such things don't want to start again with another system's format.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Chick3n posted:

And surprisingly it actually makes games load faster then the internal drive. I assumed that the USB port would slow it down, but lots of people have said they've shaved a decent amount of time off the Forza loading times.
Yeah I saw mention of the external drive dropping loading times fairly significantly. Guess they cheaped out on the internal drives, or maybe they have a more efficient packaging system for the external drive that hasn't been pushed to the internal one yet. Very strange in any case, wouldn't have expected as drastic a difference as people are mentioning.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Chamber 9 posted:

I would like to preface with this: I am not posting this to troll or harass.

Your post history makes this extremely unlikely, but sure, I'll bite.

Chamber 9 posted:

The exclusives I'm interested are mostly on the Xbox. Sony eventually ends up with a couple I want to play as well, like the Last of Us last generation, but for some reason they almost never have anything I'm interested in early on.

Chamber 9 posted:

Mostly.

Chamber 9 posted:

I love my eneloop rechargeable batteries. I've been using them for years. I'm extremely happy to still have controllers to use them in. I can't recall the last time I used a headset.

Chamber 9 posted:

Actually, I do regret the timing. I expect to get less for more money as an early adopter, but the timing this time around was really really tight. I should have waited to get it 50 to 100 dollars cheaper with a game included.

Chamber 9 posted:

I'll continue to play most of my indie games on PC I'm sure. Theoretically, I'm down to buy a PS4 at some point. If I had both I'd definitely buy all my multiplats on that. The main issue is I said the same thing about the PS3 and never did end up buying one, so who knows. I think I'm far more likely to pick up a WiiU next to play Mario Kart with my kid.

Chamber 9 posted:

No and Yes. Thankfully, the external hard drive support is pretty much here now. I haven't hit any space limitations yet, but I know I will eventually.

Chamber 9 posted:

No, it seems about normal so far.

Chamber 9 posted:

If you weren't interested in exclusives, are only interested in gaming, and only bought multi-plat titles, I don't know why you would get an Xbox One over the PS4 at this point. As I said above, if I had both, I'd buy all my multi-plats on the PS4.

Chamber 9 posted:

No exclusives on PS4 out yet that I have been interested in(I think this is about to change with the Last of Us rerelease?) , but there have been on the Xbox. So this doesn't apply to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Yeah I saw mention of the external drive dropping loading times fairly significantly. Guess they cheaped out on the internal drives, or maybe they have a more efficient packaging system for the external drive that hasn't been pushed to the internal one yet. Very strange in any case, wouldn't have expected as drastic a difference as people are mentioning.

Its the same issue the PS3 had with disk access speeds and its down to the hypervisor. I'm guessing that USB storage doesn't have that in the way allowing it transfer at full speed compared to the internal drive.

• Locked thread