Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
So in my travels today, I found out that there's a Triumph shop very close to me. I stopped by there to check out the Street Triple.

Yep, gonna buy dat bike. Now I just have to figure out who I can unload my very nice but no-longer-fast-enough Ninjer on without taking a total bath on the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

tjones posted:

Absolutely. I ride more with my left hand off the bar than I probably should. I either prop my left arm on the top of the tank or sit a bit skewed facing the left with my hand resting on my knee. For riding a sport bike, the majority of the time I have a more standard riding position unless I'm deliberately riding aggressive.

Guilty as well. I don't think I have two hands on the bars on the highway unless I'm in traffic. Tank/Knee bracing 4 lyfe.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

n8r posted:

Get a Buell they're reliable I totes promise!
Tour without a windscreen, it's far better than with a winscreen!

Some great advice in the last few pages. Keep up the good work folks.

Good thing you were around to be so helpful!

Chichevache posted:

Can't you get a throttle lock or something?

These things exist, yes. I've never felt the need for one because I don't think it's possible to ride 100km's on the highway in NZ without hitting a small town.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

These things exist, yes. I've never felt the need for one because I don't think it's possible to ride 100km's on the highway in NZ without hitting a small town.

Fair enough. I don't know how much of a pain it is to use them but I've certainly felt the desire for one.

tjones
May 13, 2005
The throttle locks I've had are super easy to lock. You basically pin the throttle where you want, and tighten down the locking mechanism, but not tight enough that you can't force the throttle away from its position if some bad poo poo were to happen. You loosen the locking mechanism when you want your snap-back back.

It's not a cruise control, but on flat roads its the next best thing.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Slavvy posted:

Pointing out ridiculous poo poo is kind of helpful. N8 just isn't so nice about it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ridiculous poo poo:

1. People who own buells and are generally acknowledged as being far too in love with them recommend buells.
2. People who like naked bikes saying touring isn't particularly painful without a fairing and a little manning-up.

:rolleyes:

n8r is a bitter little man who has to find the negative aspects of everything and everyone and can't accept that it's possible (albeit admittedly rare) for people to occasionally disagree on the internet without being enormous counter-productive shitheels about the whole thing. And when it looks like it might just be possible to have a civil, reasonable conversation about something he has to step in and take the role of counter-productive shitheel so as to maintain some sort of internet karmic balance or something.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 1, 2014

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Hey dude I'm about to tour a naked bike so I know it's doable, but to suggest it's more comfortable than a faired bike for touring is just stupid to me. I'm well used to the wind to the point that when I've ridden a big faired goldwing it was like I was in a bubble of still air.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've found semi-sporty bikes with fairings to be somewhat uncomfortable because that nice cushion of air to hold you up isn't there; I imagine on an upright bike it would probably suck (the only upright bike I've owned was barely capable of 100km/h) but, as stated, the distances I have to travel aren't monolithic like people on "continents" deal with.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It 'holds me up' sure, but at the expense of fighting it with my back, neck and shoulder muscles. Those kinda faired bikes tend to be more relaxed riding positions too. Shoot, I'd just like to have something in front of my hands if it gets cold out or starts raining.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

It 'holds me up' sure, but at the expense of fighting it with my back, neck and shoulder muscles. Those kinda faired bikes tend to be more relaxed riding positions too. Shoot, I'd just like to have something in front of my hands if it gets cold out or starts raining.

That's one thing: I fully intend to construct some hand guards out of old milk bottles when winter sets in properly and my hands start to get numb on the way to work. gently caress the haters, I'm not paying for something that looks ugly and gets taken off the bike asap anyway.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

I know on my end I wasn't suggesting that a naked sport bike was more comfortable than an actual tourer, that's what touring motorcycles are meant to do, be comfortable for many, many miles.

But I can ride 500 miles/day on my SV-650N, without too much complaint, after 300 on a supersport (faired w/ windscreen) I feel like I got worked over by some large gentlemen with pipes.

That being said, I'd take the SV any day, just because of offsetting factors like lowness and nimbleness.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Elviscat posted:

I know on my end I wasn't suggesting that a naked sport bike was more comfortable than an actual tourer, that's what touring motorcycles are meant to do, be comfortable for many, many miles.

But I can ride 500 miles/day on my SV-650N, without too much complaint, after 300 on a supersport (faired w/ windscreen) I feel like I got worked over by some large gentlemen with pipes.

That being said, I'd take the SV any day, just because of offsetting factors like lowness and nimbleness.

They have that riding posture for a reason :wiggle:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
People think n8r has informed opinions because he's a dick, not realizing that informed people have a reason to be a dick and he has no functional education or experience to back up his dickitude. Sir Cornelius is a dick because he's too tired of people's poo poo to coddle newbs who don't bother to do the research, n8r has just identified being a dick as a indicator of people who know poo poo and latched on to that rather than actually posting anything decent.

I dont think I've ever seen n8r post something worthwhile or intelligent. Someday, maybe, but I'm not holding my breath. nsap is always ready to jump to his defense but at the end of the day, n8r's posting is all the proof people really need to realize he doesn't know half the poo poo he thinks he knows.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Slavvy posted:

They're still awesome man. Once you have one on for a few thousand miles, you start automatically using it. They're great. It's literally one figure to put it into the current throttle position.

To be clear, not a "lock" like you can get on Harleys, this is the one I had on my last 2 road trips. Awesome.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Z3n posted:

People think n8r has informed opinions because he's a dick, not realizing that informed people have a reason to be a dick and he has no functional education or experience to back up his dickitude. Sir Cornelius is a dick because he's too tired of people's poo poo to coddle newbs who don't bother to do the research, n8r has just identified being a dick as a indicator of people who know poo poo and latched on to that rather than actually posting anything decent.

I dont think I've ever seen n8r post something worthwhile or intelligent. Someday, maybe, but I'm not holding my breath. nsap is always ready to jump to his defense but at the end of the day, n8r's posting is all the proof people really need to realize he doesn't know half the poo poo he thinks he knows.

Nah I'm usually the first one to tell him he's wrong cause he usually is, but not always. He's helped me with some stuff but only after berating me for a half hour or so first.

ed: People like him don't have to put effort in with noob posts because by the time one of us takes the time to type a few sentences, of of y'all has already replied with 5 or 6 paragraphs. I'll ignore noob questions that I could answer all the time cause I know you all have it covered :)

nsaP fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jun 1, 2014

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The solution is for n8r etc. to ignore garbage posts and noob questions entirely, not make a few useless sarcastic jabs that contribute nothing to anyone but also waste space.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Y'all are really making a mountain out of a molehill. Hit his post history, the last page is 1 snarky remark and the rest are constructive. This is like when Silly-Balls 'called me out' for posting the most on here, not knowing that there are forum stats lol http://forums.somethingawful.com/stats.php?statid=7&t_forumid=236#jump

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Sagebrush posted:

The solution is for n8r etc. to ignore garbage posts and noob questions entirely, not make a few useless sarcastic jabs that contribute nothing to anyone but also waste space.

Sarcastic jabs and the resultant hurt feelings make the threads more amusing for the rest of us, i posit that you and any others who find his posting tedious put him on ignore instead of wading in every time with a torrent of HURR STOP SHITPOSTING shitposts.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
A fairing can be nice especially when it's super hot and more hot wind just makes you hotter, but I've never rode behind one that didn't flip wind directly at my helmet and buffet the crap out of me. Buffeting sucks, that fatigues me faster than anything. I had a bat wing on my vstar that I took exactly one trip on and then sold, and I usually pull the fly screen off the Uly a couple days into a trip after 20 hours of head buffeting, when I remember that it comes off.

Also, thanks for asking n8. The answer to your question is: yes, Buells are definitely the best motorcycles ever conceived.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

echomadman posted:

Sarcastic jabs and the resultant hurt feelings make the threads more amusing for the rest of us, i posit that you and any others who find his posting tedious put him on ignore instead of wading in every time with a torrent of HURR STOP SHITPOSTING shitposts.

I actually do have him on ignore. I've had HNasty and nSap on ignore as well at various times but on the whole their posting averages out to good so now they aren't.

So I do ignore his posts 99% of the time but who doesn't like a good dogpile? :v:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I don't have anyone on ignore, the internet "drama" you all create from time to time is much too amusing to miss out on.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It helps to pass a lazy Sunday doing bike work

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

echomadman posted:

Sarcastic jabs and the resultant hurt feelings make the threads more amusing for the rest of us

Nota bene: this only works if the person making the sarcastic jabs is funny and/or witty. N8 is neither of these.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

Nota bene: this only works if the person making the sarcastic jabs is funny and/or witty. N8 is neither of these.

:iceburn:

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Cmon guys let's be nice to each other

Jolarix
Feb 28, 2004
Your reading skill has increased by +1 point(s).
So I just passed my MSF, and I'm looking for my first bike. I've settled on the CBR250R.

My question is: how important is the ABS option in this bike? I could save a bunch by opting to forgo ABS, but as a safety nerd, I'd love all the safety I can get. I'll be doing mostly overly-cautious city driving for my first year.

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein

Jolarix posted:

So I just passed my MSF, and I'm looking for my first bike. I've settled on the CBR250R.

My question is: how important is the ABS option in this bike? I could save a bunch by opting to forgo ABS, but as a safety nerd, I'd love all the safety I can get. I'll be doing mostly overly-cautious city driving for my first year.

I got the Ninja with ABS, and honestly I haven't actually had it engage yet. While everyone I've ever talked to has said it's awesome, I've not actually seen it in action. So, I guess if you're not a person who's not paying attention or driving somewhere that people might walk out in front of you randomly (like in a city), they may not be as helpful. I still like having them, though. From what I gather, it's one of those things where you really need them when you actually need them.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Jolarix posted:

The first time it saves you from locking up the front in a panic situation (Which you will have coming right out of the MSF, we all did) you're gonna be happy when you don't slide your shiny new bike.

So it comes down to whether or not you trust yourself to react sensibly in your first few panic situations. You obviously can't go wrong getting ABS, but if the cost is a sizable factor to you, it's something to think about.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jolarix posted:

Because you didn't specify used or new, I'll parrot what everyone here says: don't buy a new bike for your first bike. ABS is great and, from what I understand, works wonders, but it won't stop you dropping your shiny new bike in your driveway, or dropping it loving up a slow speed parking lot turn, or running it into a mailbox. The question is whether you could save more money and heartache by spending less on a used bike for your first bike.

If you are buying used then I'd ask how big is the price difference? If it's only a couple of hundred bucks it is definitely worth it and will pay for itself the first time you grab the brake like an idiot.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Digital_Jesus posted:

So it comes down to whether or not you trust yourself to react sensibly in your first few panic situations. You obviously can't go wrong getting ABS, but if the cost is a sizable factor to you, it's something to think about.

But even if you DO trust yourself, you might notice your hand and foot braking all on their own when that dude in the pickup truck gets close enough to the young lady at the crosswalk to decide "Hey, she's cute! I'll let her cross in front of me after all" and stands on his brake pedal. You might be lucky and realize only after you've stopped that, hey, you were sliding and fishtailing a bit, and you remembered to keep your foot on the brake all the way through the slide. And that you may have stalled the bike.

So yeah, I'll try to get a bike with ABS when I buy again.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Or you could endo so fast you don't even remember anything in between "hey i should stop" and "oh hey the bike is on top of me".

ABS is cool! It will make good riders even better and keep new riders from becoming accidental smears on the asphalt!

You never know what an emergency situation is going to cause you to do, even if you think you are in control.

VVVV :toot:

Razzled fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jun 2, 2014

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Razzled posted:

Or you could endo so fast you don't even remember anything in between "hey i should stop" and "oh hey the bike is on top of me".

ABS is cool! It will make good riders even better and keep new riders from becoming accidental smears on the asphalt lettterbox!

You never know what an emergency situation is going to cause you to do, even if you think you are in control.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I'm torn when it comes to new riders and ABS. On one hand, it is very handy and can get you out of a jam. On the other, not knowing how to manage the front locking up, or the rear, could eventually land you in even bigger trouble if you were to ever ride a bike without ABS and you've already trained yourself to grab every bit of brake you can in hairy situations.

I've never owned an ABS bike, so this is coming from someone who has always had to brake on feeling alone.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

tjones posted:

I'm torn when it comes to new riders and ABS. On one hand, it is very handy and can get you out of a jam. On the other, not knowing how to manage the front locking up, or the rear, could eventually land you in even bigger trouble if you were to ever ride a bike without ABS and you've already trained yourself to grab every bit of brake you can in hairy situations.

I've never owned an ABS bike, so this is coming from someone who has always had to brake on feeling alone.

But that's not particularly a fault of ABS, it's one of the rider's. Just because you have ABS doesn't mean you use it all the time-- that's rider error. The important distinction here is that the rider isn't punished for making the mistake of grabbing the brakes hard. It's still going to be on the rider to learn how and when to brake just the same as any other kind of bike.

astrollinthepork
Sep 24, 2007

When you come at the king, you best not miss, snitch

HE KNOWS
ABS is cool, but it's definitely not worth getting a new bike over as a new rider. Keep in mind that after the initial depreciation bikes tend to hold their value well, and that it is likely you can sell it at a higher price than you bought it for. Once your skills improve, you're going to want to move up to something more capable rather quickly. Offloading a used bike that you will likely drop for around what you paid for it is a lot less painful than dealing with the depreciation of going from new to used. You're looking at $4500-$5000 new as opposed to $2500-$3500 used according to my local craigslist. That $2000 can buy some real high quality gear that you are going to use for far longer than your starter bike.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Is the Duke really as annoying on the highway as the reviewer folks say?

Short answer: no.

Long answer: noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo no, unless it's windy, in which case oh my god gently caress that noise get off the highway.

Shouting Melon fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Jun 2, 2014

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Guys I'm really sorry I was gone all weekend so I couldn't appropriately defend my opinions on windscreens being good at diverting wind and Buells not being a good choice for many people. I do enjoy the fact that I can get some of the more frequent posters excited when I dare to disagree with them.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Took me a while to trace back through all the n8 h8 on the last few pages but I'd like to point out that, although n8 is a fairly bitchy poster, what he said about Buells and windscreens -- sarcastically -- was accurate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

n8r posted:

Guys I'm really sorry I was gone all weekend so I couldn't appropriately defend my opinions on windscreens being good at diverting wind and Buells not being a good choice for many people. I do enjoy the fact that I can get some of the more frequent posters excited when I dare to disagree with them.

I'm not really sure if this conversation is about n8r and what he knows or what he posted? I think n8r is pretty much wrong about everything all of the time, but his post about buells and windscreens is nothing to get upset about. I mean unless you were previously mad at him or really love Buells and naked bikes. I dunno, naked bieks suck to tour on and Buells suck in general, n8r is a dick. Facts.