Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
They're not like that. Oberyn said as much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Really, all of this is moot because the Ice Liches are going to show up and kill everyone and everything and make a thousand year winter.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3vgeMijCc

Inside the Episode

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Vernii posted:

The best part of Cersei's smug face is knowing that she's forgotten that her daughter is in Dorne.

I forgot about that. I really hope we get to see that smirk wiped off her stupid loving face. Hopefully Jamie alters her to the fact that her daughter is in mortal danger. Or maybe Ellaria can tell her.

Supersonic Shine posted:

They're not like that. Oberyn said as much.

Said the guy who went all the way to King's Landing to go on an (arborted) murderous rampage to avenge his family?

Mide
Jun 2, 2009
Man the foreshadow is amazing too. Prince Oberyn says, " size doesn't matter if you are flat on your back." just before the fight.

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

RecoomesSexyRear fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Jun 2, 2014

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

I think the only thing that can save my mood right now is a .gif of Arya losing it and laughing her rear end off at the Gate.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

UndyingShadow posted:

Said the guy who went all the way to King's Landing to go on an (arborted) murderous rampage to avenge his family?

He says they don't kill little girls. His "rampage" was against men who killed women and children.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

So can someone explain to my dense self the significance of the beetle killing chat?

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

AKA Pseudonym posted:

That was the most massively hosed up thing I've ever on television.

Some of you have never seen Hannibal.
A Columbian necktie, still moving while being readjusted with an ungloved hand, a social worker inside a horse, a man forced to eat his own leg and then complement the taste of it. That's not even one tenth of the Greatest Hannibal Hits.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

David Copperfield posted:

Tywin just wants to pre-empt the whole wait and kill Tyrion all ready.

Very, very minor spoiler given what you just all saw, just to clear up one thing: The Mountain did not die.

how in the gently caress is this possible?

it's such a bigger "gently caress you" if that's the case. goddamnit.

Innocuous
Mar 1, 2003

It's a strange world.

ironlung posted:

So can someone explain to my dense self the significance of the beetle killing chat?

Parallel with Clegane, perhaps?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

ironlung posted:

It was a metaphor for King's Landing politics. Centuries of wars and men marching off to die for causes they can't fathom. An idiot smashing lesser creatures for no discernible reason. Chunk, chunk, chunk.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3Y691g7hQg

EccoRaven
Aug 15, 2004

there is only one hell:
the one we live in now

ironlung posted:

Jaime said it well enough, albeit accidentally:

"Thousands of people are killed for no reason every day."

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

ironlung posted:

My guess: Sometimes life is mean and cruel and there's no reason why, no explanation for it because life just sucks.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Saoritficis posted:

Y'know, this is interesting because everybody here is complaining about his head popping, while I found the eyes being crushed far more unpleasant.

Having your head caved in/watermeloned is not painful, you die instantly. Eyes being crushed inside the sockets, that is going to hurt. Alot.

It's such a jump in terms of violent character deaths. In Season One, they cut away at the moment of Ned Stark's beheading to a flock of birds, and the whole thing had this tone that, while shocking, was also subdued.

Season Three, with the Red Wedding, the deaths were (mostly) pretty quick and still had this kind of subdued sense (which is weird to say because one doesn't normally call stabbing a pregnant woman "subdued"). I remember being surprised because in the book it's a lot more brutal.

Then in season four they have Joffrey choke to death and have the last shot on his blue, distorted face, and then have Oberyn screaming in horror and pain while we see the Mountain gouge his eyes in, smash his head against the ground, and then a shot of his horrifically brutalized face and brain matter sprayed across the stone.

The deaths this season feel like they've gotten a lot closer to loving snuff films on the spectrum of visual deaths. I don't think I like that very much.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

EccoRaven posted:

Apparently it has :(

UGH this is why I don't get invested in strangers' personal lives.

Were they dating or something?

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Xanderkish posted:

I remember being surprised because in the book it's a lot more brutal.

Huh? No it isn't. A pregnant woman is not stabbed to death in the book.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Lets! Get! Weird! posted:

Huh? No it isn't. A pregnant woman is not stabbed to death in the book.

I meant overall. A pregnant woman might not have been stabbed, but in terms of overall shock and gruesomeness the event was at least a pregnant woman and a half.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013

Waffles Inc. posted:

Without posting any more spoilers its really really not.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Oxxidation posted:

It was a metaphor for King's Landing politics. Centuries of wars and men marching off to die for causes they can't fathom. An idiot smashing lesser creatures for no discernible reason. Chunk, chunk, chunk.

Or the gods themselves. The first thing they talk about is how idiotic a trial by combat is and what it says about the gods. To Tyrion, the world is just an idiot crushing beetles for its own incomprehensible reasons.

e: also wow that was gory as hell

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

Waffles Inc. posted:

All of Oberyn's strikes were intentionally made to prolong the fight and not kill Clegane until he got his confession. Even when he's taunting him at the end, he knows that Clegane is probably still alive (just not THAT alive).

Anything farther than that is spoilers. (spoilers that are mentioned in the About the Episode)

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Obie, you showboating rear end. Didn't you know your world treats moments of vulnerability like feeding time?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

book readers shut up now pls

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield
GoT doesn't have justice. It has ironic, backstabbing karmic punishment.

And it's not over yet.

:getin:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Waffles Inc. posted:

You may be surprised.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Okay, this is the episode that made me read the rest of the books.

Tuco22
Jul 11, 2013

Kevyn posted:

Don't care, saw Missandei's boobs. :smug:

Pretty much this.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Or the gods themselves. The first thing they talk about is how idiotic a trial by combat is and what it says about the gods. To Tyrion, the world is just an idiot crushing beetles for its own incomprehensible reasons.

e: also wow that was gory as hell

Sounds a bit like there paraphrasing a King Lear soliloquy;

"Like flies to wanton boys are men to the gods..."

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Xanderkish posted:

It's such a jump in terms of violent character deaths. In Season One, they cut away at the moment of Ned Stark's beheading to a flock of birds, and the whole thing had this tone that, while shocking, was also subdued.

Then in season four they have Joffrey choke to death and have the last shot on his blue, distorted face, and then have Oberyn screaming in horror and pain while we see the Mountain gouge his eyes in, smash his head against the ground, and then a shot of his horrifically brutalized face and brain matter sprayed across the stone.

The deaths this season feel like they've gotten a lot closer to loving snuff films on the spectrum of visual deaths. I don't think I like that very much.

I really don't think this counts as book spoilers, at all, but just in case. Spoiler based off how the novels are structured:

The Red Wedding has already been touched on, but Ned's death is part of Arya's story at the time. She's the focus and isn't allowed to see it so you don't either. The other two are focused on Tyrion, who will not shy away from the brutality. I know that's not the way normal movies/shows do things (and this one takes some more liberties compared to the books) but since the books it's based on are this way, that's how it's done.

Harry
Jun 13, 2003

I do solemnly swear that in the year 2015 I will theorycraft my wallet as well as my WoW
Awesome episode. I'm glad things are working out for Ramsay as well. I was pretty worried about his plot line after last season, but he's grown on me. I'll miss Oberyn, but that's what he gets for dancing around.

Lets! Get! Weird!
Aug 18, 2012

Black King Bazinga

Harry posted:

I'm glad things are working out for Ramsay as well. I was pretty worried about his plot line after last season, but he's grown on me.

Are you serious.

Saoritficis
Apr 23, 2008

TheBalor posted:

He got speared a few times, I think.

The first one that I saw was the hit in the gut, followed by the big guy getting hamstringed on the right ankle (hence why collapsed so hard), then another spear in the chest when he vaulted over him. All three times, he left pretty loving serious injuries. His size would actually be a disadvantage here, because he's so loving huge that his circulatory system is stressed by just existing, so severe loss of blood will really gently caress him up. Look at any of the world's largest men the past 100 years-they all died due to something with the circulatory system.

Yea, vaulting onto a person and stabbing them the full length of the blade of a spear in the chest (the blade is completely covered in thick blood right after) is pretty much a death sentence, the mountain even does the "spew blood from the mouth" thing. Also the blade is obviously poisoned (you see a squire treating it for a moment before the fight).

It doesn't make it 100% in-your-face clear, but I am pretty sure we are supposed to assume that the mountain is dead as well.

Gandalf21
May 17, 2012

This is phenomenal

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I'm so mad right now!!! I hate this show and I love it

Kevyn posted:

Don't care, saw Missandei's boobs. :smug:

Yo for real. There's so much else that went on in this episode, I almost forgot we got fully nude Missandei :fap: Girl is FINE

Mexcillent
Dec 6, 2008

Xanderkish posted:

Yeah good point there were no violent on camera deaths in season 1.

BubbleGoose
Oct 15, 2007

There are so many amendments in the constitution of the United States of America--I can only choose one!
This sucks so goddamn hard. Oberyn was the best character on the goddamn show. He deserved a better death.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

BubbleGoose posted:

This sucks so goddamn hard. Oberyn was the best character on the goddamn show. He deserved a better death.

I couldn't imagine a better death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

mastajake posted:

I really don't think this counts as book spoilers, at all, but just in case. Spoiler based off how the novels are structured:

The Red Wedding has already been touched on, but Ned's death is part of Arya's story at the time. She's the focus and isn't allowed to see it so you don't either. The other two are focused on Tyrion, who will not shy away from the brutality. I know that's not the way normal movies/shows do things (and this one takes some more liberties compared to the books) but since the books it's based on are this way, that's how it's done.

Yeah POV is very important in this show.

• Locked thread