Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

BigRed0427 posted:

Uhhh...are you guys ahead or something?

And what's the problem with Caillou? I never watched it.

It was when he was listing all the things he'd rather do than watch that C-Span section.

It's just...you know how John said it was about a bald child who has nothing ever happen? NOTHING EVER HAPPENS. It's just insipid and painfully cheery. There's no conflict, no drama, no nothing. It's inoffensive to a fault.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

GOONS!

TO BATTLE! :hist101:

Edit: Holy poo poo! You have my sympathy Australasia.

Winkie01
Nov 28, 2004
This show just keeps getting better and better.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
CNN. Never loving change.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

I've been trying to get onto the FCC's comment page but I think it went down.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

God, this show just gets better every week. The net neutrality section was dynamite and focused on an important issue in a way that made it accessible; the Australian piece was absolutely hilarious; he gave a gloriously deadpan rap lyric reading; he ended in a wonderfully positive way; AND he trash-talked Caillou.

Rapidly becoming my favorite show of the week.

texaholic
Sep 16, 2007

Well it's floodin' down in Texas
All of the telephone lines are down
Yeah this show is fuckin great.

http://www.fcc.gov/comments

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

texaholic posted:

Yeah this show is fuckin great.

http://www.fcc.gov/comments

So what do you hit to leave a comment? And what should I say, I Want it to be more than just "gently caress you, Comcast."

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BigRed0427 posted:

So what do you hit to leave a comment? And what should I say, I Want it to be more than just "gently caress you, Comcast."

Does gently caress you Chris work?

David Copperfield
Mar 14, 2004

im david copperfield

bobkatt013 posted:

Does gently caress you Chris work?

Chris would be more offended by a pun run.

Joey Gladstone
May 26, 2003

This show is really good and cool. Is there a set number of episodes? I want this to be my regular Sunday night thing

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
PLEEEEASE DON'T EAAAT MAHHH BAY BAYYYYY

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Joey Gladstone posted:

This show is really good and cool. Is there a set number of episodes? I want this to be my regular Sunday night thing

Usually HBO does 10 episode seasons, but I haven't heard one way or another how many episodes Last Week is going to get.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I think the show is fun but 30 minutes sure feels pretty limiting for a week.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Drifter posted:

I think the show is fun but 30 minutes sure feels pretty limiting for a week.

I don't know, to me a full hour straight might get overwhelming. Imagine this episode, then him covering the same amount of topics with the same amount of detail after that.

Unibrow
May 12, 2001

Joey Gladstone posted:

HBO effectively wrote John a blank check to do whatever the hell he wants for a half hour on Sunday nights for two years. If HBO subscribers want more, then HBO will give him the option of either doing the show multiple days a week, or doing an hour-long program, whatever he (and his writers) would be more comfortable with.

His show obviously does not suck, and I fully expect to tune in to HBO two years from now to still see him on the air.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Unibrow posted:

HBO effectively wrote John a blank check to do whatever the hell he wants for a half hour on Sunday nights for two years. If HBO subscribers want more, then HBO will give him the option of either doing the show multiple days a week, or doing an hour-long program, whatever he (and his writers) would be more comfortable with.

His show obviously does not suck, and I fully expect to tune in to HBO two years from now to still see him on the air.

Beats the hell out of Bill Maher.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

I don't know, to me a full hour straight might get overwhelming. Imagine this episode, then him covering the same amount of topics with the same amount of detail after that.

That's what I'd like, yes. There's so much in the world/US going on I'd like to see more than "spelling bee", "Tony Abott's an rear end in a top hat (he really is, though)", and "internet providers are really pretty much the worst thing not currently giving us cancer or slavery".

I'm not ungrateful, but a once a week thing for this short a period makes me more want to check out a clip on youtube than sit through an episode. It's not an 'event'. But it's better than Maher, yes.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jun 2, 2014

Joey Gladstone
May 26, 2003

Unibrow posted:

This is exactly what I wanted to hear, thanks

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Drifter posted:

That's what I'd like, yes. There's so much in the world/US going on I'd like to see more than "spelling bee", "Tony Abott's an rear end in a top hat (he really is, though)", and "internet providers are really pretty much the worst thing not currently giving us cancer or slavery".

I'm not ungrateful, but a once a week thing for this short a period makes me more want to check out a clip on youtube than sit through an episode. It's not an 'event'. But it's better than Maher, yes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing I don't want more John Oliver, I loving love the dude. I just wonder if maybe a half hour twice a week would be preferable to an hour in one sitting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Don't get me wrong, I'm not arguing I don't want more John Oliver, I loving love the dude. I just wonder if maybe a half hour twice a week would be preferable to an hour in one sitting.

I would accept two or three times a week, yes (as if I had the power to effect that in any shape or form).

An hour one night would be easiest, however. I really don't understand the mental fatigue you guys all mention. :shrug:

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title

Unibrow posted:

i kind of just teared up a bit now thinking about this

This show is quite great and fun and evokes everything I ever liked about the daily show without (hopefully) becoming the repetitive slog that TDS now is. I'm happy with a half-hour a week if it stays at this quality, I can imagine kicking it up to an hour would take a lot more resources and dilute all them jokes.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

BigRed0427 posted:

GOONS!

TO BATTLE! :hist101:

Edit: Holy poo poo! You have my sympathy Australasia.

There's a reason the Ausgoon thread mostly involves us drinking ourselves into oblivion. It's the only way to dull the pain. That package was just the tip of the Abbott idiocy - if John Oliver had waited a week, he could have added how Tony Abbott just linked D-Day with repealing the carbon tax.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Caillou is also a stupid whiny loving baby

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Tornhelm posted:

There's a reason the Ausgoon thread mostly involves us drinking ourselves into oblivion. It's the only way to dull the pain. That package was just the tip of the Abbott idiocy - if John Oliver had waited a week, he could have added how Tony Abbott just linked D-Day with repealing the carbon tax.

This is dangerously close to Godwin-ing his argument.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I like John Oliver but hadn't got around to watching this show yet, if that Abbott video is typical of the quality then I will have to get onto watching this every week.

The Abbott segment has been everywhere on Australian social media tonight, it's insane.

edit: fixed up some horrendous grammar, drat phone posting.

Senor Tron fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 2, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Senor Tron posted:

The Abbott segment has been everywhere on Australian social media tonight, it's insane.
The video of the Abbott segment was posted on a major Australian news website (ABC, I think?) and within 10 minutes it was the most viewed recent item on the site. And I don't blame the people of Australia- it's one thing for an outsider like me to read the goings on down under and feel awful, but actually hearing the verbal diarrhea coming out of his mouth is so much more painful. This just goes to show you, folks- politicians like George W. Bush are not isolated to America, they can pop up anywhere.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So I think the FCC comment section is straight up broken.

Cranbe
Dec 9, 2012

Burkion posted:

So I think the FCC comment section is straight up broken.

I can't imagine why you'd expect to be able to communicate with the Federal Communications Commission.

Kristofenpheiffer
Sep 12, 2004
The Hemogoblin
Is the FCC's connection still being throttled or did they work that out?

sleepingbuddha
Nov 4, 2010

It's supposed to look like a smashed cinnamon roll
I just tried to leave a comment and couldn't.

John Oliver broke the FCC.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Kristofenpheiffer posted:

Is the FCC's connection still being throttled or did they work that out?
It was just a tiny webhost that throttled them, as far as I know.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

sleepingbuddha posted:

I just tried to leave a comment and couldn't.

John Oliver broke the FCC.
Pretty sure Comcast did.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

If the FCC wanted their internet site to work they should have to pay for the hyperfast lightspeed tier lane I mean it's only fair right?

radlum
May 13, 2013
I guess that Abbot thing is John's way to ask for forgiveness after he said the whole country was casually racist.

Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

ultratmiraculous posted:

This is dangerously close to Godwin-ing his argument.

Godwin himself has said its okay to Godwin Abbott over his asylum seeker policies. That's how bad poo poo is at the moment.

Falsey
Nov 21, 2010

The False Face mask scared younger viewers.
:anime: :pipe: :baby:
The more segments like this in international media there are, the better, right? Make him a complete laughing stock and even my crazy, racist uncle won't vote for him out of national embarrassment. Right? Right?!

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

radlum posted:

I guess that Abbot thing is John's way to ask for forgiveness after he said the whole country was casually racist.

They elected him :v:

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Exclamation Marx posted:

They elected him :v:
I'd like to think that we didn't elect him so much as he did a Steven Bradbury and wound up in the top seat.

Honestly though, the "average" Australian voter tends to be either criminally apathetic or complete scum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rougey posted:

I'd like to think that we didn't elect him so much as he did a Steven Bradbury and wound up in the top seat.

Honestly though, the "average" Australian voter tends to be either criminally apathetic or complete scum.
When you consider that it's mandatory to vote in Australia, I can imagine that there are a LOT more of the latter.

• Locked thread