Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch

bonestructure posted:

This was shared on my timeline from a group called Clean Healthy Eating.

:wtc: my arteries closed up just reading it.

This honestly sounds like the most disgusting food that I've ever heard someone actually claiming to like

fe:
no wait this is worse

Like I get that every country has their awful awful food, but that thing seems practically inedible... I'm not going to claim that America has no nice domestic food or much bigger health problems that where I am from (there are bits of Glasgow with male life expectancy of 53 for fucks sake; I doubt that there are many places in the states that are that bad) but poo poo like that sounds like the most disgusting yet blandest thing ever...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Yeah, I dont think those people are outright racist against asian people. It's just a funny little joke.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Vintersorg posted:

Yeah, I dont think those people are outright racist against asian people. It's just a funny little joke.

Of course they're not outright racist, but they're perpetuating racist stereotypes. That's the problem with "casual racism" i.e. the kind of racism found in those jokes. People make the jokes and go along with it but they don't really think about the implications of them.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)

Vintersorg posted:

To be a "funny little joke", it would have to be...funny. Its too clunky and predictable to be funny. Asian people like rice! So much! That they will fix your electronics! Maybe something could be done with the concept, but this isn't it.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nah it's pretty funny duder.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

AGirlWonder posted:

It's pretty rare to see someone admit that they believe being gay is a sin. Homosexual acts? Sure, whatever, but even the most conservative evangelicals will usually concede that being gay isn't a sin.

Um... I know tons of evangelicals that call being gay a sin. Where are you from that you don't have that?

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Wizard of Smart posted:

Um... I know tons of evangelicals that call being gay a sin. Where are you from that you don't have that?

And how's the cost of living?

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Tracula posted:

This is one where my eyes went to the image and I was thinking "Doesn't this actually work?"

Then I read the bottom :suicide:

It kinda does, rice is good at absorbing moisture, and depending on how wet the device is you might be able to salvage it.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

"I wish I lived in the 50s" -a white person

gnomewife
Oct 24, 2010

Wizard of Smart posted:

Really? The vocal ones out here say that the state of being gay isn't sinful. The sin happens when the individual lusts, or engages in homosexual activity. Yes, this is a real distinction. I'm from north Louisiana, so.... pretty Baptist around here.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

PUGGERNAUT posted:

"I wish I was born during the Great Depression" - a person bad at math.

PUGGERNAUT
Nov 14, 2013

I AM INCREDIBLY BORING AND SHOULD STOP TALKING ABOUT FOOD IN THE POLITICS THREAD

AGirlWonder posted:

Really? The vocal ones out here say that the state of being gay isn't sinful. The sin happens when the individual lusts, or engages in homosexual activity. Yes, this is a real distinction. I'm from north Louisiana, so.... pretty Baptist around here.

Yeah when I lived in a Baptist-heavy area, the most vocal anti-gay people were always saying they didn't actually hate gay people, but homosexuality was a sin. "We love the sinner but hate the sin! We don't *hate* you, we just think that you're going to hell for being in love with someone you're attracted to."

Apogee15
Jun 16, 2013

CitizenKain posted:

It kinda does, rice is good at absorbing moisture, and depending on how wet the device is you might be able to salvage it.

rice does absorb moisture, but it's actually better to leave it in the open air than it is to put it in rice.

glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
This wasn't posted by someone I know, but someone I know commented on it:

It is certainly one of the more confusing in layout of these type of things.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

glowing-fish posted:

That's a Freeman on the Land idea, or at least closely associated with them. Severely nutty, obviously.

teamdest
Jul 1, 2007

Strudel Man posted:

That's a Freeman on the Land idea, or at least closely associated with them. Severely nutty, obviously.

The most hilarious version of this is when they outright say that when you were born the "Dock" gave you a "Berth Certificate", as if homonyms have force of law.

DJ Fuckboy Supreme
Feb 10, 2011

And when you stare long into the abyss, you become aggressively, terminally chill

PUGGERNAUT posted:

I don't understand the point of that macro. Are the women more desirable to this person?

Comedy response: is it the lack of black people?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Apogee15 posted:

rice does absorb moisture, but it's actually better to leave it in the open air than it is to put it in rice.

Idiots in real life: I know someone who heard this, that you should put a wet phone in rice to dry it out.

So she cooked the rice and put the phone in. It obviously did not work. :downsbravo:

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

glowing-fish posted:

It's basically the foundation to the Sovereign Citizen Movement. In short, they believe there's the 'physical' you, and a 'strawman' corporation/bank account set up in your name that's used for tax purposes; if you just make the :airquote:right:airquote: filings and motions in court, the government is forced to give you control of that account, and you no longer count as a citizen from a tax perspective! :downs:

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
So has the movement presented a single example of a person that somehow freed himself from law?

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

They all have but this damned Obamanation of a country something something I have rights :freep:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

karl fungus posted:

So has the movement presented a single example of a person that somehow freed himself from law?

One guy set himself on fire in front of a courthouse and died, which let him escape child support payments.

Payments that were to support his daughter, whom he had previously beaten until she bled.

Freemen on the land view him as a true hero and martyr.

Lottery of Babylon has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Jun 2, 2014

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

I thought that guy was a hero to MRAs, not freemen.

Goosed it.
Nov 3, 2011

Laocius posted:

Does it matter?

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Laocius posted:

Freemen love him. They've put up videos of themselves stalking the judges who work at the courthouse shouting "shame on you."

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

karl fungus posted:

Maybe someone somewhere out of sheer frustration. Some people related to me have had to deal with someone using those tactics in a property dispute over a trust from another deceased relative and the number of liens and documents they file takes years for the overloaded courts to work through. I don't want to really discuss it further but just responding legally in an appropriate manner costs money that you won't get back for a long time if ever.

Theres a reason it's referred to as paper terrorism.

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

Now that I think about it, it's really not at all surprising that there would be a lot of overlap between freemen and MRAs.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Laocius posted:

Now that I think about it, it's really not at all surprising that there would be a lot of overlap between freemen and MRAs.

The venn diagram of hyper-conservative ideals gets closer and closer to a perfect circle every year.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Hopefully online dating falls into the category of social media, because hoo boy I found a gem.

It came from OkCupid! posted:

I'm a panromantic lesbian with flamboyant gay boi tendencies.

Is a girl, currently dating two guys.

Oh dear posted:

My preferred pronoun is glit/glitter/glitterself, but I don't really expect that anyone take that serious yet

She's not serious, right?

Khazar-khum
Oct 22, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion

Good Citizen posted:

Maybe someone somewhere out of sheer frustration. Some people related to me have had to deal with someone using those tactics in a property dispute over a trust from another deceased relative and the number of liens and documents they file takes years for the overloaded courts to work through. I don't want to really discuss it further but just responding legally in an appropriate manner costs money that you won't get back for a long time if ever.

Theres a reason it's referred to as paper terrorism.

My former stepsister and her husband were involved with these hoydens. My dad paid over $30K to get them set with the IRS. Two years later, they were right back in major debt to the IRS because the IRS was 'illegal' and they were 'free people'.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
From my sister's Facebook:

I don't think the first comment is joking. :ohdear:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

NotAnArtist posted:

I don't understand the point of that macro. Are the women more desirable to this person?

Comedy response: is it the lack of black people?

I think it's because they look "respectable", not like the youth of today with their bra straps showing and crazy coloured hair! :bahgawd:

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

NotAnArtist posted:

As it's shared by a page called Vintage Life, I'm quite sure it was posted by a woman who just likes the style of clothing worn in the 50s. Don't see much wrong that macro, really.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Picnic Princess posted:

I think it's because they look "respectable", not like the youth of today with their bra straps showing and crazy coloured hair! :bahgawd:

Which is funny considering the girl closest to camera is wearing shorts so tight that it's almost an optical illusion. Really my takeaway is more along the lines of 'goddamn, I guess teens in the 50s also loved wearing nearly nothing, just like today!'

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

RareAcumen posted:

I just want to say thank you for this post. Because I've seen the tumblr version of it but never the original intent. So I just rolled my eyes and moved on without giving it any real thought because yelling at someone for wanting a simple explanation on things is just stupid.

Yeah, it is actually a legit gripe to have, just often taken too far. The idea is basically that there are tons of resources out there for those sincerely interested, and so asking someone from one of these groups to educate you because now you're ready to listen can come off a bit demanding like 'ok, now I'm receptive, educate me!' - but even then, a lot of people can move past that to try and use the opportunity to communicate. It just gets hard because often the same people who ask to be educated end up getting prickly and defensive when they don't like what they're hearing, or when the things they are told aren't coached to them in super-friendly terms.

So a lot of the time it starts as 'I am sincerely interested, teach me!' but then the person asking to be taught begins trying to counter the things they're being told. It gets exhausting, like are you really looking to learn or did you just wanna fight? (And hell, some people do blatantly use this approach just because they are looking to pick a fight but don't necessarily want to be called on it). If you've been having the same conversations enough, you get tired of explaining the basics of your position/experience, especially when there's so much reading out there for someone who wants to sincerely learn. It can start to get grating that the people demanding the education (often entirely on their terms) then need to be so heavily catered to in discussion, tiring enough that sometimes people just say 'hey, look it up yourself'. It can be exhausting to be held responsible to be some sort of representative of X group, to have to keep acting nice - because to the person asking questions, what you do reflects on your whole race/gender/sexuality in that moment and it's a lot of pressure to be a Good Representative. God forbid you phrase something wrong and have people stomping away proclaiming YOU KNOW THIS IS WHY NO ONE LISTENS TO [BLANK], MAYBE IF YOU WERE NICER PEOPLE WOULD BE MORE WILLING TO HELP.

Basically, sometimes you're just not in the mood to deal with all that.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 11:36 on Jun 2, 2014

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu

bonestructure posted:

This was shared on my timeline from a group called Clean Healthy Eating.

:wtc: my arteries closed up just reading it.
This stuff really annoys me, and here's why. I'm not confident about most of my abilities, but one thing I am confident of is that I'm a good cook. I never knew how to cook growing up but decided to learn in the past two years, and I've got a knack for it and now I've developed a genuine love for cooking. I cook an actual recipe meal almost every day. I'm always in the market for healthier recipes, and cauliflower is THE carb substitute of the moment. Now, I like cauliflower itself. So many pages I follow post cauliflower-as-carb recipes: cauliflower fried "rice," mashed cauliflower as bread dough, etc. I've tried a good deal of them and they are all awful. Nothing in my bag of cooking tricks can ever make these cauliflower concoctions taste good. I've come to doubt that any of the people I know who share these recipes have actually tried the recipes; they're just passing them along to look healthy. The cauliflower "garlic bread" one, especially. Goddamn, that one was horrific. And it's still all over my Facebook. People share these things without any clue what they taste like.

TravBot
Oct 10, 2004

If we can hit that bullseye the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards Checkmate

Taliaquin posted:

This stuff really annoys me, and here's why. I'm not confident about most of my abilities, but one thing I am confident of is that I'm a good cook. I never knew how to cook growing up but decided to learn in the past two years, and I've got a knack for it and now I've developed a genuine love for cooking. I cook an actual recipe meal almost every day. I'm always in the market for healthier recipes, and cauliflower is THE carb substitute of the moment. Now, I like cauliflower itself. So many pages I follow post cauliflower-as-carb recipes: cauliflower fried "rice," mashed cauliflower as bread dough, etc. I've tried a good deal of them and they are all awful. Nothing in my bag of cooking tricks can ever make these cauliflower concoctions taste good. I've come to doubt that any of the people I know who share these recipes have actually tried the recipes; they're just passing them along to look healthy. The cauliflower "garlic bread" one, especially. Goddamn, that one was horrific. And it's still all over my Facebook. People share these things without any clue what they taste like.

Maybe you just don't like cauliflower? I've been making a cauliflower mash with just 2Tb of olive oil and butter, and 1/2 tsp of rosemary. It's excellent, especially with something like meat loaf.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Taliaquin posted:

You looked at that monstrosity of cheese, sour cream, mayo, and bacon, and the part you objected to was the cauliflower?

Buzkashi
Feb 4, 2003
College Slice
A friend posted a #YesAllWomen link and it brought a psycho racist out of the woodworks, it still astonishes me that people like this still exist

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I live in Scandinavia and I can confirm that rape never happens here because we are all Aryan übermench.

• Locked thread