Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I think what happens on Terra is that the old world continent is a lot more densely packed than another map type's typical landmasses because everyone starts there, so what happens is that civs that normally go nuts with settling every inch of free space instead get tied up in endless wars with their neighbours and never really get around to sending settlers over to the new world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minority Deport
Mar 28, 2010
That Race for Religion/Reform and Rule modpack is interesting. I think I might have broken it, since I ended up finishing out the tech tree in 1894 in a one-city challenge as Korea. Also, that one city had a whopping 69 population. Towards the end, I was getting a new citizen every two to four turns, despite there only being one non-eaten-by-Venice-or-Austria maritime city-state.

Or, this means I shouldn't play on Prince! That's probably it.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
Are the mongols supposed to be extra powerful? I just conquered the Zulus and the Egyptians with 4 units and now everyone else is offering me gold and declarations of friendship.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
China is great if you go honor. You'll have so many generals that you can just pave your way to enemy capitals with citadels and crossbows who shoot twice to level up in a quarter of normal time. Everything else is just there to take hits and capture cities.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.

limeincoke posted:

Played as England for the first time last night. Holy poo poo are they overpowered or what? 3 range crossbowman? Overpowered frigates that have +2 movement? I fought off an early wave of Astanibul invaders with 3 units.

England is my favorite civilization to play as. I prioritize The Great Lighthouse and opening Exploration to further boost their UA's naval bonuses. I really like the extra spy per era too.

When you've got battleships with nine moves, there's no reason not to rule the sea! :britain:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Pillowpants posted:

Are the mongols supposed to be extra powerful? I just conquered the Zulus and the Egyptians with 4 units and now everyone else is offering me gold and declarations of friendship.

Mongols will pretty much dominate the medieval era. The Keshiks are one of the best UUs in the game, hands down. It also helps that knights fall in a spot on the tech tree where they don't become obsolete for a while, so they stay useful for a long time as well.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

brozozo posted:

England is my favorite civilization to play as. I prioritize The Great Lighthouse and opening Exploration to further boost their UA's naval bonuses. I really like the extra spy per era too.

When you've got battleships with nine moves, there's no reason not to rule the sea! :britain:

Yeah I just started a new game (on Epic to really LOL with Ship of the Lines) and managed to snag GL on accident. I also go for the +1 movement promotion. My ships can travel from one city to another in one turn just destroying everything.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Can I build Machu Picchu on Mount Fuji? And would it be worth it building a city 8-9 tiles away from my empire's current borders (with decent resources) to do so?

Ulvirich
Jun 26, 2007

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Can I build Machu Picchu on Mount Fuji? And would it be worth it building a city 8-9 tiles away from my empire's current borders (with decent resources) to do so?

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, however, I believe even though natural wonders count as "mountains", regardless if it's Lake Victoria or Mount Sinai, you cannot gain the benefits of being next to a mountains for the purposes of eligibility for world wonders and observatory. You can, however, have humorous situations where the world wonder tile gets built on, or in, various natural wonders.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
Speaking of humorous wonder placements, why does the AI decide that even if I only have one water tile, *that's* where the Pyramids are going to be built? Did the programmers think the Pharaohs demanded waterslides in their giant afterlife triangles?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
They're just making sure your game is canon with the intro to Beyond Earth.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice
If frivolously aquatic wonders will hasten Beyond Earth's release, then I will gladly have my cities build the Great Pyramids Aquapark and Marianas Trench Machu Picchu.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Ulvirich posted:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, however, I believe even though natural wonders count as "mountains", regardless if it's Lake Victoria or Mount Sinai, you cannot gain the benefits of being next to a mountains for the purposes of eligibility for world wonders and observatory. You can, however, have humorous situations where the world wonder tile gets built on, or in, various natural wonders.

Lake Victoria Doesn't count for Neuschwanstein (and so probably Machu Picchu) but does count for an observatory.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

Lake Victoria Doesn't count for Neuschwanstein (and so probably Machu Picchu) but does count for an observatory.

You can't see across Lake Victoria unlike every other body of water, and of course it doesn't actually count as a lake for things like Floating Gardens. Natural wonders are weird. Most of them do seem to count for observatories, and can and do get the actual worldwonders built on them graphically. My most common aquatic world wonders are the Temple of Artemis and Statue of Zeus. Throw that poo poo in a lake, the sea, wherever.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pvt.Scott posted:

it doesn't actually count as a lake for things like Floating Gardens.

Actually, that one was fixed in a patch.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf
Yeah Lake Victoria will also provide fresh water to adjacent tiles.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Yeah, I guess I hadn't noticed those fixes to Victoria. Every game where I find it, some city state has already bogarted that poo poo.

The sea wonders are still retarded bad though. Krakatoa! In the middle of the ocean! With no place to settle even if you wanted to! Great Barrier Reef, now with only one tile reachable by your city! Act now, supplies are limited!

E: yes, there are mods to fix that, but I use the achievements to give me goals. Otherwise I'd probably only ever play Montezuma.

Pvt.Scott fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 1, 2014

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Natural wonders don't count as mountains for letting you build Machu Picchu or Neuschwanstein, but they do count as mountains for the wonder graphics, so as long as you have another mountain in range, you can build Disney castles on volcanoes.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
I thought very certain ones did count as World Wonder-compatible? I think I've done Krakatoa and Uluru myself, but they might've changed that.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"
So I've gotten a lot better at the game since I last posted, I can beat Prince pretty easily now, and King if I wanted to play "cheese the AI" (which I don't, I really only play single player to practice for multiplayer). One thing I'm still struggling with is military, however. I can fight just fine, I managed to throw off two other people in multiplayer attempting to sneak attack me with adopting Volunteer Army. My problem stems from maintaining an army from start to finish. I tend to make whatever units I need to stop barbarians, and then stop entirely until someone attacks me. Obviously this isn't optimal and is leaving me as a target. What's a good benchmark for number of units, and should I be building new units instead of upgrading old ones?

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Lord Justice posted:

So I've gotten a lot better at the game since I last posted, I can beat Prince pretty easily now, and King if I wanted to play "cheese the AI" (which I don't, I really only play single player to practice for multiplayer). One thing I'm still struggling with is military, however. I can fight just fine, I managed to throw off two other people in multiplayer attempting to sneak attack me with adopting Volunteer Army. My problem stems from maintaining an army from start to finish. I tend to make whatever units I need to stop barbarians, and then stop entirely until someone attacks me. Obviously this isn't optimal and is leaving me as a target. What's a good benchmark for number of units, and should I be building new units instead of upgrading old ones?

4 archers if you don't plan on conquering anything, upgraded as need be, should be enough to straight up destroy any AI attack unless you share a huge border with them. Once artillery rolls around, add a few and never lose a battle ever again.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Speaking of huge borders, playing on the Great Plains map feels like cranking up the difficulty three notches compared to Continents maps. It's amazing how much better the AI does at war without water and mountains to confuse it.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Gort posted:

Speaking of huge borders, playing on the Great Plains map feels like cranking up the difficulty three notches compared to Continents maps. It's amazing how much better the AI does at war without water and mountains to confuse it.
I should probably try playing something other than archipelagos then.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

kalstrams posted:

I should probably try playing something other than archipelagos then.
Especially since archipelago is sometimes regarded as being a difficulty lower compared to other maps. :v:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Poil posted:

Especially since archipelago is sometimes regarded as being a difficulty lower compared to other maps. :v:
I had no idea about it, to be honest, but neither have I read much about Civilizations.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

The AI sucks at anything that's not open terrain. Water confuses them. Mountains frighten them. Hills give them gas. Marshes are tempting to stand in during combat. Give them islands and they will settle a lifeless rock in the arctic circle and be proud for conquering a new continent. They will fill an ice locked chunk of ocean with a world class navy. If you have a city built on a large lake, the AI will embark units across that 1-2 tile wide lake to get at your city. Embarked units usually explode when looked at funny, so an entire invasion can be broken that way. Then there's the rear end in a top hat AI that settles on a single desert tile with no other desert in city range and beats you to Petra by one turn, robbing you of both your awesome Petra city and a Petra city worth conquering.

I love the bumbling goobers. :3:

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Tactically, the AI handles open water better than most terrain--there are fewer chokepoints and slow terrains for it to get hung up on, allowing the AI to apply force swiftly and effectively. It's the strategic AI that falls apart when it comes to naval combat--a small taskforce can dismantle an AI navy one or two ships at a time because the AI has its naval units assigned to other tasks and never thinks to pool them together to meet an oncoming threat.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Pvt.Scott posted:

The AI sucks at anything that's not open terrain. Water confuses them. Mountains frighten them. Hills give them gas. Marshes are tempting to stand in during combat. Give them islands and they will settle a lifeless rock in the arctic circle and be proud for conquering a new continent. They will fill an ice locked chunk of ocean with a world class navy. If you have a city built on a large lake, the AI will embark units across that 1-2 tile wide lake to get at your city. Embarked units usually explode when looked at funny, so an entire invasion can be broken that way. Then there's the rear end in a top hat AI that settles on a single desert tile with no other desert in city range and beats you to Petra by one turn, robbing you of both your awesome Petra city and a Petra city worth conquering.

I love the bumbling goobers. :3:

Has anyone ever tried a gimmick game with practically no hills, mountains, or oceans and not very many forests and marshes, just to see how well the AI conducts war on a mostly flat playing field?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

When I played archipelago the AI was also hopeless at anti-sub operations and I was able to sink literally dozens of ships (including a whole bunch of aircraft carriers) with four submarines, but that might just be because they randomly decided not to get destroyers.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Gabriel Pope posted:

Tactically, the AI handles open water better than most terrain--there are fewer chokepoints and slow terrains for it to get hung up on, allowing the AI to apply force swiftly and effectively. It's the strategic AI that falls apart when it comes to naval combat--a small taskforce can dismantle an AI navy one or two ships at a time because the AI has its naval units assigned to other tasks and never thinks to pool them together to meet an oncoming threat.

At sea the AI suffers quite badly from the bug where can't move and fire its ranged units. Ever had a fleet of AI frigates move right up to yours without shooting? Yeah.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Gort posted:

At sea the AI suffers quite badly from the bug where can't move and fire its ranged units. Ever had a fleet of AI frigates move right up to yours without shooting? Yeah.

Literally just happened in my Venice game. I'm unconquerable because the frigates the AI keeps sending at me drive right up to my shores through my own fleet and bombardments. Makes it feel like how I used to cheat at Rome Total War to get the AI to ram head first into my walls.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Ranged attacks are known to wreck AIs, but what do I do when I'm in the unfortunate position of having no ranged duders? Greece snuck up on me and every City State on the continent has declared war on me. The only ranged weapon I have is artillery; can an army be made up entirely of artillery?

Also I have 15 unhappiness because my rear end in a top hat friend chose Order after I chose Freedom (he didn't know about pressure), help

highmodulus
Feb 16, 2011

Let's go crazy Broadway style!

Pvt.Scott posted:

Raging Barbarians plus playing on a map that's slightly too big for your number of civs and city-states leads to a hellish morass of savage humanity stretching from sea to sea, punctuated only by small islands of order in the chaos that slowly gutter and then fade as time marches forward. So, it's pretty cool.

Set up a game this way this weekend, is fun and different. Although even using Huge and 4 civs/10 city states we seem to be holding our own so far.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HellCopter posted:

can an army be made up entirely of artillery?

Pretty much, yeah. You might need some guns or horses to interdict, but the artillery can and should do the heavy lifting.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Once you get artillery and bombers, you pretty much only need normal units for conquering cities and setting up zones of control to keep the AI from getting at your artillery.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
What would be the solution to all ranged duck shooting fests?

I always thought you should get far less strategic resources for improving the resource and that all military units should have a strategic resource tied to them. Like one forest gives you one wood to make one archer.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Platystemon posted:

Pretty much, yeah. You might need some guns or horses to interdict, but the artillery can and should do the heavy lifting.

This is essentially what happened on the western front in WW I. It took tanks to break the stalemate. Fortunately for us, the AI doesn't do massed artillery. Slowly moving a two deep wall of artillery (say maybe six of them) with three infantry up front and a few mounted units to protect the flanks, finish off wounded units and take zero health cities will allow you to destroy anything the AI throws at you unless you're severely behind in tech.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Last night I had en embarked, exploring cavalry get trapped into an ice patch by a barbarian caravel. The cavalry ended up winning after the caravel refused to leave it alone, and sailed back to shore just fine :toot:

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I mean, he's throwing Crossbowmen at me. I'm just a silly Babylonian who didn't maintain his standing army.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

HellCopter posted:

I mean, he's throwing Crossbowmen at me. I'm just a silly Babylonian who didn't maintain his standing army.

Buy any Walls of Babylon in cities under attack if they aren't made. Buy and or build your best ranged unit in each city under attack. Then build a couple cavalry for troubleshooting and finishing off weakened units. That should get you on solid defensive footing, at least. Once the assault runs out if steam, push back by building a few more ranged units and using you fastest units (cav, or scouts if you're desperate) and pillage a few tiles. Sue for peace after a few turns of wrecking his economy. Try to get a few gold if you can, but a white peace is a great deal in this case. Then add a few more units to deter future attackers.

• Locked thread