Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Hardflip posted:

Qatar World Cup: '$5m payments to officials' corruption claim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27652181

Fifa is facing fresh allegations of corruption over its controversial decision to award the 2022 World Cup to Qatar.

The Sunday Times has obtained millions of secret documents - emails, letters and bank transfers - which it alleges are proof that the disgraced Qatari football official Mohamed Bin Hammam made payments totalling $5m to football officials in return for their support for the Qatar bid.

There's also this NY Times part 1 or 2 article out today about match fixing, that Ibrahim Chaibou ref and that Singapore based Football 4U cartel and how FIFA is ignoring its own internal investigations into the matter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/sports/soccer/fixed-matches-cast-shadow-over-world-cup.html?_r=0

Pretty good read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

Wirth1000 posted:

There's also this NY Times part 1 or 2 article out today about match fixing, that Ibrahim Chaibou ref and that Singapore based Football 4U cartel and how FIFA is ignoring its own internal investigations into the matter.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/01/sports/soccer/fixed-matches-cast-shadow-over-world-cup.html?_r=0

Pretty good read.

There's a very high correlation between FIFA officials who give a poo poo about corruption and the prefix "former"

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

The Sunday Times is also not revealing the information all at once, what is appearing at first is perhaps not even close to all they have.

Bacon of the Sea
Oct 17, 2008

Dog Suicide Bridge BBQ Team 2k10
I think they're deploying the Guardian honeypot journalism approach where FIFA will reply countering it, then the Times releases more docs proving FIFA are awful and talking pork, then FIFA go "Oh, we made a mistake what we meant was..." and then the Times release more docs.

This repeats until Sepp makes a final statement clarifying that money is an abstract, nobody has died in Qatar since 1963 and that Britain is a terrorist organisation determined to ruin the work of a globally recognised registered charity

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Crazy Ted posted:

The Sunday Times is also not revealing the information all at once, what is appearing at first is perhaps not even close to all they have.

Like with any blackmail/extortion scheme, you don't show all your cards all at once. It'll probably take another two or three publications before FIFA pay them whatever it is that they want.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Funky Koval posted:

Like with any blackmail/extortion scheme, you don't show all your cards all at once. It'll probably take another two or three publications before FIFA pay them whatever it is that they want.

They literally can't pay the Sunday Times what they want.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

DickEmery posted:

Ofcom haven't been that useful in policing such matters in the past.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

DickEmery posted:

Surely you can't be this naive.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

Tories told Ofcom let the Sky Bid happen or we'll close you down.
Which worked out pretty badly for The tories and NI.

Besides, post-Snowden and post-Leveson the political strengths of Ofcom and News International have shifted somewhat.

Funky Koval posted:

Surely you can't be this naive.

Apparently so.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Fifa vice-president Jim Boyce says he would support a re-vote to find a new host for the Qatar World Cup in 2022 if corruption allegations can be proven.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/27654587

Given that Qatar has already spent a considerable amount on building the stadiums, can FIFA just take it away? What happens to the stadiums?

Kwagga
Jun 11, 2002

I am small

hostile apostle posted:

Fifa vice-president Jim Boyce says he would support a re-vote to find a new host for the Qatar World Cup in 2022 if corruption allegations can be proven.

Given that Qatar has already spent a considerable amount on building the stadiums, can FIFA just take it away? What happens to the stadiums?

Used as gladiator arenas to cull the herds of slave labour that will no longer have jobs to go to.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

hostile apostle posted:

It's a pure PR/internal politics move. There won't be a re-vote also "if the corruption allegations can be proven". Videos of Sepp Blatter bathing in Qatari money and kicking slaves won't be proof enough for FIFA.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

hostile apostle posted:

Interpol already did this a few years ago and nothing happened. Blatter being totally corrupt is a matter of record, so clearly they've got no intention of doing anything about it.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

hostile apostle posted:

They only started building the first one last week.

DEAD MAN'S SHOE
Nov 23, 2003

We will become evil and the stars will come alive
Who is going to make a move on FIFA? Potential host countries? lol

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Any re-vote would result in them all voting for Qatar in order to prove that original vote was totally legitimate all along.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Apparently Blatter wasn't in favor of Qatar, and I think a lot of what's going down is him working to discredit Platini, so he can run unopposed again.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Was Taters posted:

Apparently Blatter wasn't in favor of Qatar, and I think a lot of what's going down is him working to discredit Platini, so he can run unopposed again.
And the 2022 World Cup now goes to...

*opens envelope*

THE WEST INDIES!!!

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Was Taters posted:

I don't think Platini is dumb enough to run against Blatter. That would be a career ending move most likely, but if he waits until Blatter has joined Lord Xenu up in heaven he's probably got a good shot at it. The whole bin Hamman thing is probably enough to ensure Sepp will run unopposed.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Smirr posted:

I don't think Platini is dumb enough to run against Blatter. That would be a career ending move most likely, but if he waits until Blatter has joined Lord Xenu up in heaven he's probably got a good shot at it. The whole bin Hamman thing is probably enough to ensure Sepp will run unopposed.

You're assuming Sepp Blatter can actually die. This is a very dangerous assumption.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Akileese posted:

You're assuming Sepp Blatter can actually die. This is a very dangerous assumption.

He seems to make Bernie Ecclestone look like a cuddly grandfather amateur in comparison.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
I much prefer Bernie to Blatter. They're both corrupt assholes but Bernie isn't actually that harmful to his sport from the point of view of a fan (imagine what happens to F1 when he dies), whereas Blatter is full-on fisting the deceased corpse of football

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

The Mash posted:

I much prefer Bernie to Blatter. They're both corrupt assholes but Bernie isn't actually that harmful to his sport from the point of view of a fan (imagine what happens to F1 when he dies), whereas Blatter is full-on fisting the deceased corpse of football

I would say on Balance Bernie's influence in formula 1 has been positive and has made the sport better for his involvement in it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I am not a violent man but I want to do violent things to Sepp Blatter and his corrupt cronies.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Byolante posted:

I would say on Balance Bernie's influence in formula 1 has been positive and has made the sport better for his involvement in it.

Yeah, you don't see people dying while building new tracks.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Yeah, you don't see people dying while building new tracks.

they most definitely have in bahrain etc.

Someone care to explain why this latest round of Fifaleaks is the smoking gun for Qatar 2022? I thought all this bribery was common knowledge already.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Because this is a proper trail showing exactly who paid who and how much.

The times tactic is working beautifully. Qatar released a bunch of statements saying bin hamman had nothing to do with the bid and the times already countered with all their statements at the time saying what a great help he was.

Dravs
Mar 8, 2011

You've done well, kiddo.
So basically someone high up in FIFA stood to gain a fuckload if Qatar is exposed. I do not believe these documents would have made the light of day if someone inside FIFA is not benefiting a ridiculous amount from it.

I would bet money that the leak came from someone who was going to run for FIFA president and knew they would likely be running against Platini who has always been keen to hold the World Cup in Qatar due to bribes building contracts piles of gold man flesh some reason unconnected with gold Rolexes, and wanted to run unopposed when Platini has to shock horror step down due to a conflict of interest.

Hmmm, who could that be..

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Blatter didn't want to hold the World Cup in Qatar anyway, apparently. So maybe he's just looking out for whoever bribed him more than the Qataris did.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/...0602-39dww.html

Well done FFA

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

I'm actually surprised that there was only five million dollars in bribes.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

I'm actually surprised that there was only five million dollars in bribes.

no that's just how much Jack Warner moonwalked out with before protesting loads, as he wasn't bribed enough.

Also that man stole a Haiti relief fund.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

vyelkin posted:

Blatter didn't want to hold the World Cup in Qatar anyway, apparently. So maybe he's just looking out for whoever bribed him more than the Qataris did.

It's like he realized that all the bribe money in the world wouldn't be worth the immense hassle of so transparently giving a nation like Qatar the World Cup.

MoPZiG
Jun 6, 2006

Best result for Sepp is if he gets to re-award 2022 no-contest to China.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents
The only reason Sepp Blatter wants a re-vote is to achieve the dream of every used car salesman in the world: selling the same thing twice

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

No one wants to go through another round of bidding.

Give the 2022 world cup to:
- a nation with a strong footballing history
- a large number of existing high quality football stadiums
- a country that's not too hot

Send it home

World cup 2022 in England.

Then make it like eurovision so the country that wins has to host it

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

would love this so much

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Spangly A posted:

Also that man stole a Haiti relief fund.
He basically stole everything. He quite literally stole almost all of the money and assets that were supposed to go to the Trinidad and Tobago FA for the better part of 35 years.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Crazy Ted posted:

He basically stole everything. He quite literally stole almost all of the money and assets that were supposed to go to the Trinidad and Tobago FA for the better part of 35 years.

And was quietly silenced by FIFA after claiming they were too corrupt.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

No one wants to go through another round of bidding.

Give the 2022 world cup to:
- a nation with a strong footballing history
- a large number of existing high quality football stadiums
- a country that's not too hot

Send it home

World cup 2022 in England.

Good planning, get one last World Cup in England before it never returns again.