Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PiCroft
Jun 11, 2010

I'm sorry, did I break all your shit? I didn't know it was yours

McDragon posted:

The best sports thing will be finished by the 18th. I can only care about one sport at a time, unless it's the Olympics.

Not a big football fan, but I do quite like the World Cup. Everyone gets so very excited. :3:

I hate football with a passion but I love pubs during big games. Its loud and vibrant and chatty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"
UKMT World Cup sweepstake? Winner names a charity and everyone else bungs them a fiver or something?

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

Bozza posted:

My band is based there, we usually practice near Pirbright, so I get the train from Reading cos lol gently caress Surrey!
Cool. When are you next playing? My four year old daughter would probably think it was the best thing ever.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

I couldn't give a gently caress less about club-level football, but international level football rules.

And whoever said Ghana is great is speaking truth. They seem to play the game like they've all just drank half a dozen espressos each.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Bozza posted:

UKMT World Cup sweepstake? Winner names a charity and everyone else bungs them a fiver or something?

ooh this might be fun.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Coohoolin posted:

ooh this might be fun.

Just name Scotland and get your fiver out.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Bozza posted:

Sorted this out. Don't fill in this form if you don't want to bung a fiver to charity.

E: If this gets more than 32 I'll repeat teams and if >1 people win we'll split ourselves between the charities. If fewer than 32 and nobody wins, it'll be whichever team did least poo poo.

I'll stream the draw if anyone actually gives a toss but really this is just a way to dump money to charity

mfcrocker fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 2, 2014

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

mfcrocker posted:

Sorted this out. Don't fill in this form if you don't want to bung a fiver to charity.

E: If this gets more than 32 I'll repeat teams and if >1 people win we'll split ourselves between the charities. If fewer than 32 and nobody wins, it'll be whichever team did least poo poo.
Signed up for your poorly-concealed scam site :D

Just kidding, this is A Good Idea

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

Jedit posted:

Just name Scotland and get your fiver out.

they're not in it la

mfcrocker posted:

I'll stream the draw if anyone actually gives a toss but really this is just a way to dump money to charity

hope you're all ready for glorious holland to win money for Shelter. Real men wear orange. Hup.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I filled in the form but didn't get given a team :/

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Zephro posted:

Cool. When are you next playing? My four year old daughter would probably think it was the best thing ever.

http://www.dcuk.org.uk/contests/contest14_2.html

Woking on 29th June.

When she's a year or so older, we've got a cadet band for the little nippers where we teach them to play brass/drums/tuned percussion or do our style dance stuff. £3 a week for a couple of hours teaching and the instrument to borrow to play and that.

Think they're doing a little display at the show, which is usually very sweet but mostly terrible...

I love drum corps, I honestly think it probably saved my life and UK marching band scene is pretty cool little world to get into.

edit: url fixed, I think. Awful App you suck

Bozza fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jun 2, 2014

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Zephro posted:

neither did I and I posted about Holland because I briefly forgot how a sweepstake works.

I still have to support them though.

Tincans
Dec 15, 2007

One to watch out for, chaps!

TV character The Mogg (whom you may remember from such classics as Have I Got News For You and Prime Ministers Questions) is getting his own show where he plods beyond the border, imposing an identity to the plebs beneath his feat and generally larking about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82o0uVxSgto

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Tincans posted:

One to watch out for, chaps!

TV character The Mogg (whom you may remember from such classics as Have I Got News For You and Prime Ministers Questions) is getting his own show where he plods beyond the border, imposing an identity to the plebs beneath his feat and generally larking about!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=82o0uVxSgto
Wow, bit of an underhand trick by the Yes campaign to enlist Rees-Mogg. I wonder if he'll visit his (and his nanny's) old stomping grounds of Central Fife.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Who gives a poo poo about the World Cup when game one of the Stanley Cup Finals starts on Wednesday. New York vs Los Angeles. East coast vs West coast.

It really is the best cup competition. Also it was made in Sheffield!

When you win, during the off-season everybody on the team gets one day with the cup. You can take it to your home town. You can take it fishing on a boat. You can drink from it. One guy even had his son baptised in it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/the-10-oddest-places-the-stanley-cup-has-ever-visited?urn=nhl,wp6036

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

thehustler posted:

Who gives a poo poo about the World Cup when game one of the Stanley Cup Finals starts on Wednesday. New York vs Los Angeles. East coast vs West coast.

When you win, during the off-season everybody on the team gets one day with the cup. You can take it to your home town. You can take it fishing on a boat. You can drink from it. One guy even had his son baptised in it.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_daddy/post/the-10-oddest-places-the-stanley-cup-has-ever-visited?urn=nhl,wp6036

What happens if you break or loose it?

My one fact about the Stanley cup is before a game players won't look at it as it brings bad luck.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

notaspy posted:

What happens if you break or loose it?

My one fact about the Stanley cup is before a game players won't look at it as it brings bad luck.

Another good one is that if you win the Eastern or Western conference trophy (and hence, go through to the actual Stanley Cup final) you NEVER the conference trophy, as that is also bad luck and you might not win the Stanley Cup.

Not sure what happens if you break it. The cup travels with a keeper at all times and his job is to look after it. I imagine if it gets dinged they repair it. Each segment is added on over time.

Here's an interview with one of the keepers of the cup: http://www.esquire.com/blogs/news/keeper-of-stanley-cup-interview - talks about protecting it etc.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

So Spain are the first up in the "quick, its the world cup, bury big news" sweepstakes. Bit early and a bit of a risk, you don't normally see big transfers before the tournament itself.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Zephro posted:

Well yes it isn't automatic I have to pick the names out of a hat.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

mfcrocker posted:

Well yes it isn't automatic I have to pick the names out of a hat.
Yeah, sorry - I assumed from Spangly's post that he'd been given the Netherlands and wondered if something had gone wrong.

If I slide a brown envelope full of cash under your door, can I have Brazil?

Hashtag Nascar
Jan 4, 2012

thehustler posted:

We don't give a poo poo cause most people in the UK don't give a poo poo about yank sports, only dull middle class people do.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Delurking to sweep the hell outta some stakes.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Hashtag Nascar posted:

We don't give a poo poo cause most people in the UK don't give a poo poo about yank sports, only dull middle class people do.

Awesome generalisation!

Edit: Anyway hockey is mostly a Canadian thing

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Hashtag Nascar posted:

What's nascar?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

thehustler posted:

Awesome generalisation!

Do you think it's inaccurate?

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Pissflaps posted:

Do you think it's inaccurate?

I don't have the data to disprove it, and if any data exists I'd like to see it. I have no idea which way it will fall. I just didn't think the generalisation was helpful.

Edit: VVV I saw the Bison play Sheffield once and they got absolutely dicked. It was hilarious.

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:
I went to see the Basingstoke Bison once and it was fun but the crowd probably wasn't as big as an NHL crowd

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

What's A nascar?

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Yeah I'm in for a fiver for charity.

Also since the Stanley Cup has been mentioned; does anyone know if GameCenter LIVE works ok in this country? If not, does anyone have any advice on the best legit way to watch it? I'm not bothered about seeing games live because of the time difference and I only have freeview.

Ktb fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jun 2, 2014

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

I just wish Blitzball was a real sport. Then I would be able to be an obsessive sports fan.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Ktb posted:

Yeah I'm in for a fiver for charity.

Also since the Stanley Cup has been mentioned; does anyone know if GameCenter LIVE works ok in this country? If not, does anyone have any advice on the best legit way to watch it? I'm not bothered about seeing games live because of the time difference and I only have freeview.

It works ok but there are blackouts for games that are being shown on Premier Sports. You can get around that with a VPN/proxy setup. Either a browser-based one or do what I do and pay for one which is DNS based so you can use it on PS3s for things like Netflix. https://www.unblock-us.com

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

thehustler posted:

It works ok but there are blackouts for games that are being shown on Premier Sports. You can get around that with a VPN/proxy setup. Either a browser-based one or do what I do and pay for one which is DNS based so you can use it on PS3s for things like Netflix. https://www.unblock-us.com

Nice one, cheers! That's exactly what I was after. I've been living under the rock of postgrad study for this year's games but by autumn hopefully I will have the luxury of free time again :)

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Mister Adequate posted:

I just wish Blitzball was a real sport. Then I would be able to be an obsessive sports fan.

Water polo is an actual sport!

Unfortunately it is nowhere near as fun to watch :smith:

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

I swept that stake ruthlessly. Also I know all about hockey because I am a big Propagandhi fan

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

whoever gets brazil please pick the labour party as your charity

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Ktb posted:

Nice one, cheers! That's exactly what I was after. I've been living under the rock of postgrad study for this year's games but by autumn hopefully I will have the luxury of free time again :)

Ps you can go to reddit and get the direct URLs for the GCL streams and not pay but obviously that's :filez: so you should check your conscience first. Also you have to install some weird program to get around the authentication checks.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
I'm in for the sweepstake and also some nice poll results: http://yougov.co.uk/news/2014/06/02/five-myths-about-ukips-victory/

Compared to 2009 UKIP's popularity has fallen on the national level (although people who view them positively are now more likely to vote for them), support for continued EU membership has risen, hostility to immigrants has fallen, and a majority of people feel that they have enough money to live comfortably whereas in 2009 only 46% of respondents felt that way.

There's a lot to be said for economic recovery.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

Cerv posted:

whoever gets brazil please pick the labour party as your charity

do not listen to this man

yung lambic
Dec 16, 2011

In for the sweepstake!

Go charity!

Football!

Back into the woodwork I go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

What happened to that vauge rumour that brazil werent going to be ready and it would have to be shifted to somewhere else?

e:girlfiend is now down to 30 stickers for completion, she has been facebooking like a lunatic
e:2 that might actually be quite valuable in .... 10 years time

Seaside Loafer fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 2, 2014

• Locked thread