Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pythagoras a trois
Feb 19, 2004

I have a lot of points to make and I will make them later.

Fried Chicken posted:

From personal experience, yes, people can absolutely gently caress up that equipment with dangerous results, both for people and national security. The system is over engineered to hell and back to prevent breakdown or damage, but taking the wrong actions can cause disasters.

EG:

http://legacy.utsandiego.com/news/military/20050505-1156-ca-ussreagan.html

http://www.cbs8.com/story/12015295/sailor-killed-aboard-uss-ronald-reagan-identified

I know for a fact we have lost yellow bagged radioactive material over board, had many steam leaks, unplanned reactor scrams, and in one notable case almost crashed an aircraft carrier into the suez canal

Not to nitpick, but two people dying on the job over the course of a decade isn't a lot considering the populations of our floating cities and fleets of nuclear powered boats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Cheekio posted:

Not to nitpick, but two people dying on the job over the course of a decade isn't a lot considering the populations of our floating cities and fleets of nuclear powered boats.

It wasn't that those are the only two, its just that I knew those two. And they are both perfect examples of how a chain of small gently caress ups can lead to a bigger problem even if it isn't a reactor accident.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

radical meme posted:

I completely understand what you're saying here but, and its a big but, gaming your comment out to its ultimate conclusion, it says that an all volunteer military works great, as long as you don't have to go to war with it. That's a lot of food for thought right there.

That's why taking something to an ultimate conclusion is usually dumb.

There's nothing immutable about the current standards the US military has or had.

Wax Dynasty
Jan 1, 2013

This postseason, I've really enjoyed bringing back the three-inning save.

Hell Gem

Joementum posted:

Yup. My crappy phone photo of it didn't come out though :(. That building is Texas as gently caress. Beautiful grounds too. I especially enjoyed the statue of all the different waves of white people who came to Texas to kill non-white people. :911:

Bonus pic of the floor tiles because I'm a child.

Here's my crappy phone photo of the lights:

Bonus dome shots:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Joementum posted:

Yup. My crappy phone photo of it didn't come out though :(. That building is Texas as gently caress. Beautiful grounds too. I especially enjoyed the statue of all the different waves of white people who came to Texas to kill non-white people. :911:

Bonus pic of the floor tiles because I'm a child.

Hey now, plenty of Mexicans / Tejanos helped kill people who were neither Mexican nor white.

Defenestration
Aug 10, 2006

"It wasn't my fault that my first unconscious thought turned out to be-"
"Jesus, kid, what?"
"That something smelled delicious!"

Grimey Drawer
Apparently A&B burger in Salem has Del's on tap

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

computer parts posted:

That's why taking something to an ultimate conclusion is usually dumb.

Except for the fact that this is exactly the situation the U.S. found itself in with the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. I think your statement about lowering standards to meet recruitment is exactly correct. So it's not like we have to deal with hypotheticals to see the results. The military lowered its standards to meet quotas; which is well established by many articles I've read. There was nothing wrong with the standards. It was the circumstances that mad the standards unworkable. I 'm just suggesting that maybe the military should learn from that real life experience.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Relentlessboredomm posted:

If your blood pressure is a little low then you should pick up the new Taibbi book. This thing is a rage inducing machine. He, in his usual Taibbi way, demonstrates all the various ways the system is failing but its mostly focused on the Justice System. I'm starting to think Obama or more specifically Eric Holder is the worst thing to happen to the criminal justice system in decades. It's overwhelming how hard the shift has been. They've taken a slow drift and accelerated it exponentially.

How is Holder personably responsible (I'm honestly curious)? This sounds like another thing the GOP is bitching about but for absolutely the wrong reasons.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
The draft didn't exactly prevent the US from getting involved in Vietnam. Or Korea. Or the Second World War. Or the First. Or the Spanish-American War. Or cease our involvement in the Civil War. When opposition to those wars occurred, the draft was a factor, but a far, FAR greater factor was the sheer number of people getting killed. Remember, we lost over 50,000 people in Vietnam, and 400,000 in the Second World War. Iraq and Afghanistan have only accounted for 5,200, which while not insignificant pales in comparison to the losses the US suffered in previous wars. That simple fact is a far greater reason why we haven't seen Vietnam-level protest movements, not the lack of a draft.

Also, as an aside and speaking as a 21-year old, every time I hear someone say "We should bring back the draft" for whatever reason, for SOME REASON they're typically not of draft age. Just saying.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
One of my French ESL students is really, really anti-immigration and (this is the weird part) somehow thought we had the perfect immigration system here, until I explained that ours is completely hosed. I still have no idea what he thought it was; can any Europeans shed some light on what they think/thought our immigration system is like?

edit: I'm grateful to him since I get to hear all these arguments in person that I previously had only read about. He made a literal "one of the good ones" argument about drat lazy Arabs (all of his Arab classmates somehow excluded) today.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jun 3, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Samurai Sanders posted:

One of my French ESL students is really, really anti-immigration and (this is the weird part) somehow thought we had the perfect immigration system here, until I explained that ours is completely hosed. I still have no idea what he thought it was; can any Europeans shed some light on what they think/thought our immigration system is like?

edit: I'm grateful to him since I get to hear all these arguments in person that I previously had only read about. He made a literal "one of the good ones" argument about drat lazy Arabs (all of his Arab classmates somehow excluded) today.

The US does tend to only allow highly educated professionals in unless you're from a neighboring country, but that's more a function of the US being separated from everyone else.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Radish posted:

How is Holder personably responsible (I'm honestly curious)? This sounds like another thing the GOP is bitching about but for absolutely the wrong reasons.

I think it has something to do with the "look forward, not backward" mindset that led to absolutely no one having anything bad happen to them in the aftermath of the financial crisis along with the double whammy of permanently taking it off limits in the future because "even liberal Obama doesn't think we should prosecute executives who run fraud businesses".

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

computer parts posted:

The US does tend to only allow highly educated professionals in unless you're from a neighboring country, but that's more a function of the US being separated from everyone else.
Oh, France doesn't? I guess I need to read up on them. He was mostly complaining about Moroccan and Romanian immigrants.

edit: wow, 70+% of French say that there are too many Arabs in the country. No wonder they just elected a bunch of right-wingers.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Jun 3, 2014

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Radish posted:

"Too big to jail" should've had Holder thrown out in the street. Preferably during rush hour. When you come out and basically state "yeah these people are simply above the law" you are a subhuman piece of poo poo and Obama's completely cool with it as well as giving the FCC to the telecom's biggest loving mouthpiece so yeah I can see how a book would point out those two are loving scum.

Oh but we got Kagan and Sotomayor on the SCOTUS. That makes everything better. :jerkbag:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Evil Fluffy posted:

"Too big to jail" should've had Holder thrown out in the street. Preferably during rush hour. When you come out and basically state "yeah these people are simply above the law" you are a subhuman piece of poo poo and Obama's completely cool with it as well as giving the FCC to the telecom's biggest loving mouthpiece so yeah I can see how a book would point out those two are loving scum.

Oh but we got Kagan and Sotomayor on the SCOTUS. That makes everything better. :jerkbag:

John McCain and Mitt Romney: totally would have brought justice to the banks and stood up to the telecom industry.

Gen. Ripper
Jan 12, 2013

GreyjoyBastard posted:

John McCain and Mitt Romney: totally would have brought justice to the banks and stood up to the telecom industry.

Yeah man, I remember all those times when Evil Fluffy hailed McCain/Romney as noble heroes who would bring justice to the bankers. Man did we laugh at him back then.

Oh wait.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013

Fried Chicken posted:

The 5 guys we swapped him for were all on the docket for potential release in the next 7 months anyways.

lol

edit: Amazon Primed the new Taibbi book based on what I read on here

Telesphorus fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Jun 3, 2014

Zeitgueist
Aug 8, 2003

by Ralp

Fried Chicken posted:

It wasn't that those are the only two, its just that I knew those two. And they are both perfect examples of how a chain of small gently caress ups can lead to a bigger problem even if it isn't a reactor accident.

Didn't we almost nuke North Carolina because like of a chain of failures that should never have happened?

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Gen. Ripper posted:

Yeah man, I remember all those times when Evil Fluffy hailed McCain/Romney as noble heroes who would bring justice to the bankers. Man did we laugh at him back then.

Oh wait.

I guess I mistook him for one of the "a plague on both your houses" unstrategically-minded folks. If his entire position is that the best we can get is a corporatist shill and that's terrible, fair enough.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Samurai Sanders posted:

Refugee populations are a prononounced part of the immigrant community in many European countries; there's a misconception, I think, that the US does not have a lot of refugees from the third world. Of course the reality is that the US admits a fuckton of refugees and asylum seekers every year, but the country is so multicultural and diverse that they don't stand out as much.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
America's approach to birthright citizenship is also quite different to Europe's.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Doctor Spaceman posted:

America's approach to birthright citizenship is also quite different to Europe's.
He told me that born in France = French citizen, same as here? Only, he said that's terrible. I guess a lot of Americans say the same thing, but for somewhat different reasons, anchor babies or whatever.

edit: I heard in Swizerland you can live there for generations and generations and not become a citizen, it sounds like that country would be more to this guy's liking.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Jun 3, 2014

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Children born in France to residents (but not citizens - children of French citizens are also automatically French citizens) of France may request and acquire French citizenship when they become adults, but it's not automatically conferred. I believe France had looser laws on citizenship but, well, Europeans can be extremely racist.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Radish posted:

So back in the day when he was a Deputy Attorney General under Janet Reno he wrote a memo. It came to be called the Holder memo. This was 1999. It outlined a number of things that could allow for more aggressive prosecution of white collar crime. Unfortunately through a series of events including Holder himself railing against certain pieces of his own writing while working for a private firm, it came to be an entirely different beast. It had one very very important piece in it

quote:

Prosecutors may consider the collateral consequences of a corporate criminal conviction in determining whether to charge the corporation with a criminal offense.

Which is entirely reasonable on its face but it came to be the justification for the farce that occurred post crisis. At first this meant, "hey don't gut an entire company when there are five ring leaders we can charge" but escalated to "any criminal charge will hurt the company and its employees" and has even gotten to "we can't foresee the ripple effects of hurting one company on the economy at large". So now we have a wonderful justification for turning a blind eye to instances of fraud on a staggering scale. If the company is big enough and important enough well then a criminal charge might hurt the economy so its best to just take a large fine and avoid the court case.

Taibbi digs into this in much much more detail. Its the first part of the book.

The other bit that's making me hate the Obama administration justice system is their hyper aggression towards immigrants. There is a federal immigration rule called 287(g) that deputizes essentially anyone with a badge to arrest undocumented aliens on behalf of ICE. MA and NY tried to opt out and were told in no uncertain terms that there was no opt out. It allows local police anywhere in the country to go after immigrants for any reason. Busted tailight? Deported. Rear ended? Deported. The reason I point my anger at the Obama administration is the numbers. They've crushed all the records in a handful of years. Obama's administration has hit over a million deportations since 09/10. The expedited stipulated order of removal which allows for the ICE people to process you faster while waiving all of your rights has also been used far more. 2000-2010 they used it to deport 160,000 people. In 2011 alone they used it on 390,000.

Oh and illegal aliens have no rights in the system because "Removal proceedings are civil, not criminal, and the exclusionary rule does not generally apply to them".

Seriously, gently caress Holder and this justice department.

Also, read the book.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Thanks for the synopsis. That's way too depressing (especially with the constant "WHY ALL THE ILLEGALS OBAMA??" meme's from the conservatives) but I should probably check it out. :smith:

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

I will say I had to put the taibbi book down and go back to reading about wizards and spaceships because it was making me so pissed off I was actually losing sleep

It is good, but absolutely infuriating, particularly when paired with daily business news

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The only thing I find worth celebrating is the DoJ's pursuit of the VRA.

Unfortunately Shelby County passed at a time when bringing the law into line with the ruling is impossible. Congress is full of utter trash, the Senate is mired in just enough filth to be paralyzed, and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Samurai Sanders posted:

Oh, France doesn't? I guess I need to read up on them. He was mostly complaining about Moroccan and Romanian immigrants.

Yeah if they hate those people in particular then the US system will look nice because there's not a literal land bridge (or narrow strait) to bring people.

The other bit that's making me hate the Obama administration justice system is their hyper aggression towards immigrants. There is a federal immigration rule called 287(g) that deputizes essentially anyone with a badge to arrest undocumented aliens on behalf of ICE. MA and NY tried to opt out and were told in no uncertain terms that there was no opt out. It allows local police anywhere in the country to go after immigrants for any reason. Busted tailight? Deported. Rear ended? Deported. The reason I point my anger at the Obama administration is the numbers. They've crushed all the records in a handful of years. Obama's administration has hit over a million deportations since 09/10. The expedited stipulated order of removal which allows for the ICE people to process you faster while waiving all of your rights has also been used far more. 2000-2010 they used it to deport 160,000 people. In 2011 alone they used it on 390,000.

Oh and illegal aliens have no rights in the system because "Removal proceedings are civil, not criminal, and the exclusionary rule does not generally apply to them".

Seriously, gently caress Holder and this justice department.

Also, read the book.

"Deportations" is a very loaded term; the data I saw indicated that 2/3 of the "deportations" reported under the Obama Administration were just people being turned away at the border, not immigrants getting swooped out of their houses and sent back to Mexico.

Syjefroi
Oct 6, 2003

I'll play it first and tell you what it is later.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Nothing should be surprising me anymore about politics but this Un-American POW tactic is really upsetting.

Might as well accuse him of being a red and call for execution while they are at it.

You're in luck!

http://aattp.org/gop-psychopath-calls-for-the-execution-of-recently-released-u-s-hostage-images/ (Sorry for the ridiculous source)

Add another +1 to the "X Days Without Rebuilding" sign.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

Telesphorus posted:

lol

edit: Amazon Primed the new Taibbi book based on what I read on here

You wont be disappointed. Actually you will but not in the book itself.

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

If the company is big enough and important enough well then a criminal charge might hurt the economy so its best to just take a large fine and avoid the court case.

Also, read the book.

A large fine that is orders of magnitude less than the immense profits they made off of their illegal activities because even if you fine them an amount relative to their pillaging it may have a negative impact on their financial status and :siren: COLLATERAL CONSEQUENCES :siren:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Wait Joementum you are in Austin? Or are you already gone?

FAUXTON posted:

The only thing I find worth celebrating is the DoJ's pursuit of the VRA.

Unfortunately Shelby County passed at a time when bringing the law into line with the ruling is impossible. Congress is full of utter trash, the Senate is mired in just enough filth to be paralyzed, and it's going to get worse before it gets better.

Hasn't the DoJ been cracking down fairly hard on abuse of unpaid internships and inappropriate classification of people as independent contractors as well?

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
I'm going to order the Taibbi book because my blood has been coursing too slowly and work hasn't been pissing me off enough (lie), but could someone explain to me (using the book's terms if necessary) how exactly you get from "I can't break up the company because COLLATERAL DAMAGE AND JOBS" to "I can't prosecute the CEO or heads of a company because COLLATERAL DAMAGE AND JOBS"?

CEOs and leadership are swapped around constantly, usually without huge job losses (not always, but still). The only way I see that trend is a fear of losing jobs coupled with the CEO's dick in Holder's mouth money in the gubbamint's pockets.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

joeburz posted:

A large fine that is orders of magnitude less than the immense profits they made off of their illegal activities because even if you fine them an amount relative to their pillaging it may have a negative impact on their financial status and :siren: COLLATERAL CONSEQUENCES :siren:
That is the business line.

Politically, the conservative line is those fines are paid by the shareholders, not the people who committed the crime, making it completely unethical to fine the business at all.

The neoliberal one is current one of paying back 20% or less of what was stolen because we need moral hazard, but the fine can't be too big because it is the shareholders who pay, not the ones who committed the crime

I'm not even joking either, you can cruise over to forbes or fortune or bloomberg and see op eds debating it exactly on those lines. Barry Ritzholtz had a column about it the other day

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

In a cartoon graveyard

And yet neither side really cares about the collateral consequences of dragnet policing and completely destroying families over petty bullshit while hundreds of millions or even into the tens of billions are pilfered yearly by a bunch of sociopaths without an iota of justice.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Fried Chicken posted:

Politically, the conservative line is those fines are paid by the shareholders, not the people who committed the crime, making it completely unethical to fine the business at all.

Theres some logic in this.

Though they miss the part that should be "therefore the officers of the company responsible should be personally fined or thrown in jail"

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Amergin posted:

I'm going to order the Taibbi book because my blood has been coursing too slowly and work hasn't been pissing me off enough (lie), but could someone explain to me (using the book's terms if necessary) how exactly you get from "I can't break up the company because COLLATERAL DAMAGE AND JOBS" to "I can't prosecute the CEO or heads of a company because COLLATERAL DAMAGE AND JOBS"?

CEOs and leadership are swapped around constantly, usually without huge job losses (not always, but still). The only way I see that trend is a fear of losing jobs coupled with the CEO's dick in Holder's mouth money in the gubbamint's pockets.

He argues that the fallout from prosecuting the top brass at Arthur Anderson (it collapsed the firm and 50,000 people lost their jobs) set the policy at DoJ.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Fried Chicken posted:

The neoliberal one is current one of paying back 20% or less of what was stolen because we need moral hazard, but the fine can't be too big because it is the shareholders who pay, not the ones who committed the crime

I'm not even joking either, you can cruise over to forbes or fortune or bloomberg and see op eds debating it exactly on those lines. Barry Ritzholtz had a column about it the other day

And yet there is no outrage from conservatives or neoliberals over the company officers paying themselves compensation levels exceeding many of the proposed fines. $0.50 minimum wage hikes get directly passed on to customers as higher prices or shareholderss as reduced dividend but nine-figure top leadership compensation budgets don't apparently.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Amergin posted:

Yeah just look at Hewlett-Packard. It's ridiculous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Fried Chicken posted:

This is actually a good argument though. Provided we were robustly prosecuting the individuals in the organization who were responsible. Having the company pay fines doesn't hurt the wrongdoers.

• Locked thread