Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!
Pants comes home tomorrow morning, he's eating and mewing as normal!

Middle aged Asian women (MaaW for short) returned :ohdear:.

And the doctor actually wrote "very curious about the outside world" on Pants's examination sheet which was pretty funny!

In 5 days he goes back to check if he still needs the compress and 5 after that X-rays to check he's healing properly! :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
My kitten hates the toys I got him :(

Tigger has been leaving his toy felt mice and jingly felt balls in my sandals under my computer desk and at my feet and head when I sleep. This morning I had a felt mouse on my cheek.
Should I get him some new toys?

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
I have a dilemma involving our cats.

We had two cats, Emmy and Tony for nearly 17 years.

Originally it was Emmy and Oscar who were litter mates. Oscar died when he was six months old; he died when they put him under to neuter him (we think he had a heart condition).

Emmy was very upset. Their mom actually had gotten pregnant again and we got another kitten who we named Tony.

She was expecting Oscar and was slow to warm up to the new fur ball but they eventually became close.

Tony went into kidney failure about a year and a half ago. Through diet and monitoring and miracles, we kept him in good health until January / February of this year when he started losing weight and getting lethargic. We had to have him put to sleep. We had him cremated and have his ashes in an urn. He was the sweetest cat I have ever had.

Emmy is beside herself with grief and has become far more vocal than she has ever been before. We spend as much time with her as we can. While not immediate, it doesn't take long for her to start crying again after we leave.

This is probably a good time to point out that I am allergic to cats and my allergies have gotten worse in the last year. We have a finished basement and that is where the cats have always been while we stay mostly upstairs. They get at most two or three hours out of us every night, maybe up to four on the weekends.
I do go down and check on her multiple times per day, but only for a minute or two at a time (and then I wash my hands and arms).

The dilemma is that we have an opportunity to get two kittens from a friend of a friend. It would be a brother and sister who are 12 weeks old. We wanted to get more cats so Emmy won't be lonely, and we wanted to get two cats that are already familiar with each other so that once Emmy passes, we won't have another single lonely cat. Emmy is old but healthy. Her eyesight and hearing are going but she has no health issues other than that and is on no medication. Still, she won't live forever.

I was already planning to find a new allergist and go back on allergy shots since they helped me in the past.

I worry that we wont' be able to spend enough time with the new kittens to properly bond with them since we have to come down to the basement just to see them. I also worry that my allergies might make it difficult for me to handle them and give them the proper attention they need.
I also worry that Emmy will just get even more pissed off at us if we bring new cats that still aren't the ones she's used to.

Should we go ahead and get the kittens, run them by our vet for shots, bring them home, do the slow introduction thing, and hope for the best? Or should we wait it out, let me start getting allergy shots again, and find some rescue cats that are maybe a year or two and not kittens so they aren't as high maintenance?

tl;dr - Old and cranky cat is lonely. We have to keep the cats out of our normal living space because of my allergies even though we love spending time with them and love having them. Should we get some kittens now which would require lots of attention, or should we rescue some older cats later that would be more self-sufficient?

Aleph Null fucked around with this message at 14:34 on May 31, 2014

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Super 3 posted:

(cat peeing)

What other things can I try?

Try Cat Attract. Seriously, try Cat Attract. That poo poo is magic. I have never had a cat NOT use the litter box with Cat Attract is in it, and I do cat rescue and have seen a lot of cats. Anxious cats, angry cats, territorial cats, they love that poo poo (OK, I've never tried it with a grown intact male who's in full-on Marking Mode, but that's like Boss Level of pee prevention). If you are very paranoid add this to the Cat Attract too (you can add it to normal litter but I would really go for the Cat Attract).

Also, have you tried a bigger box? I take a giant-rear end Rubbermaid tub and cut a 'U' in the side where the cat can get it. As a bonus it reduces scatter too.

If he is peeing that much and is healthy he is probably stressed for some unknown reason, so maybe try Feliway and a calming collar too?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I was lying in bed this morning when my old tom wandered in yowling and puked on the floor. Being semi long haired this isn't an unusual occurrence but since my girl cat doesn't do the yowl announcement, I thought I'd post this idle question. Does your cat announce his or her intention to vomit with a special call? Is it a lower sound, drawn out kind of Yerrrrrrow rising at the end?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I just stayed up all night and found my cat sitting in the early morning sun and she's really, really, really warm. She seems totally happy about this but I would be seriously uncomfortable if I was that warm. Should I be worried?

Edit: She won't leave the sunbeam.

IdeoPhanthus
Oct 22, 2004

Ratzap posted:

Does your cat announce his or her intention to vomit with a special call? Is it a lower sound, drawn out kind of Yerrrrrrow rising at the end?

Our one cat does. It's not the normal meow. It's the long drawn out type of a different pitch...and then she starts hocking up vomit. And for some reason she always tries to position her head over carpet, clothing, or blankets (basically any kind of fabric), to throw up on. -_-

I take the sound as a warning, letting me know I better get a paper towel quick & put it under her mouth so I have an easier cleanup.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

IdeoPhanthus posted:

Our one cat does. It's not the normal meow. It's the long drawn out type of a different pitch...and then she starts hocking up vomit. And for some reason she always tries to position her head over carpet, clothing, or blankets (basically any kind of fabric), to throw up on. -_-

No warning, just distinctive cat-gagging, usually on hardwood floors 'cause that is what I mostly have, sometimes on throw rugs.

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

eriktown posted:

I just stayed up all night and found my cat sitting in the early morning sun and she's really, really, really warm. She seems totally happy about this but I would be seriously uncomfortable if I was that warm. Should I be worried?

Edit: She won't leave the sunbeam.

Is cat. If she was unhappy she'd move.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Aleph Null posted:

tl;dr - Old and cranky cat is lonely. We have to keep the cats out of our normal living space because of my allergies even though we love spending time with them and love having them. Should we get some kittens now which would require lots of attention, or should we rescue some older cats later that would be more self-sufficient?

If your allergies are like mine, you may be less allergic to kittens than cats. I've read allergens in cats are a hormone thing, so if that's the case then pre-cat-puberty kittens may not be an irritant. Can you spend time with them before adoption to get an idea of your reaction?

I'm hesitant to suggest grown bonded cats in this particular situation because I'd be worried about them bullying your existing cat.

Also I'm not sure if "long time lurker first time etc" is still probatable but I'd edit your post to be safe.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Super 3 posted:

Is it worth trying to get a different brand of litter?
Absolutely; if your cat doesn't like how it feels/smells/is located, they're more likely to take their business elsewhere. I had issues with one of my cats peeing on stuff, which always ended up being something soft, like clothes or a small pillow. She didn't have UTI or anything, but changing the kind of litter and frequency of cleaning it(I was lazy before...) made a huge difference. Now the only time she'll pee ok something she's not supposed to is if I leave out some synthetic nylon thing because she just likes peeing on those and I don't get it(may the texture or smell?)

I'd suggest maybe trying a fine grain litter first, unscented, then going from there. Definitely try cat attract like other posters have said because that's apparently magical.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

MariusLecter posted:

My kitten hates the toys I got him :(

Tigger has been leaving his toy felt mice and jingly felt balls in my sandals under my computer desk and at my feet and head when I sleep. This morning I had a felt mouse on my cheek.
Should I get him some new toys?

Sounds to me like he likes the toys. He's hiding them like treasure and also sharing them as presents like he would provide you with a real mouse if he could :3: . I always know when Ozma loves a toy because it goes missing within three minutes.

I imagine she has a heap of toys somewhere like a dragon stash.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

SOME PEOPLE FIND HOME APPLIANCES SEXUALLY AROUSING! ZORDS ARE NOT APPLIANCES, DAMMIT!

Huntersoninski posted:

Sounds to me like he likes the toys. He's hiding them like treasure and also sharing them as presents like he would provide you with a real mouse if he could :3: . I always know when Ozma loves a toy because it goes missing within three minutes.

I imagine she has a heap of toys somewhere like a dragon stash.

My cat managed to catch a sparrow...indoors on a 6th story apartment. Kind of annoyed my gf's dad threw it away before we got home cause I would have lived to see him carrying it around and giving it to me.

He also comes home in 12 hours! Last time we say him he was so desperate to leave though. Trying to fit through the bars, trying to grab my hand. Very heartbreaking to leave him like that but he comes homes soon!

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

ATP5G1 posted:

Shortest term: clip their claws
Short term: Get Feliway and Sentry calming collars and see if that warms them up
A few days have passed. This appears to have worked. Thank you.

ATP5G1 posted:

Longer term: A third young cat to occupy Kitty 1.7's attention?
I have declined to follow your advice to become a crazy cat lady, because for other reasons, I am a man.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

And he's home!

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
So..uh.. has anyone else's feliway plug in overheated and started producing smoke? I couldn't get the spray in time for my move but managed to get my hands on a plug-in and used it in my car today for a 12 hour car ride with my cat, until I started smelling burning things and realized that the plug in was smoking 8 hours into the drive. :catstare:

Let me tell you, troubleshooting what that smell is while driving down a winding mountain pass and then realizing that OH poo poo SOMETHING IS ABOUT TO CATCH ON FIRE and there is no place to pull over is not a fun way to drive. After I diagnosed the problem, the plug in wouldn't stop smoking. I briefly considered throwing it out the window but then realized that it would be the dumbest way to start a forest fire. After unscrewing the thing from the diffuser, I had to wrap it in a towel to smother the smoke from getting any worse.

Cat was incredibly calm and chilled out during the whole ordeal, I think I hotboxed her with feliway.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Grape Soda posted:

So..uh.. has anyone else's feliway plug in overheated and started producing smoke? I couldn't get the spray in time for my move but managed to get my hands on a plug-in and used it in my car today for a 12 hour car ride with my cat, until I started smelling burning things and realized that the plug in was smoking 8 hours into the drive. :catstare:

Let me tell you, troubleshooting what that smell is while driving down a winding mountain pass and then realizing that OH poo poo SOMETHING IS ABOUT TO CATCH ON FIRE and there is no place to pull over is not a fun way to drive. After I diagnosed the problem, the plug in wouldn't stop smoking. I briefly considered throwing it out the window but then realized that it would be the dumbest way to start a forest fire. After unscrewing the thing from the diffuser, I had to wrap it in a towel to smother the smoke from getting any worse.

Cat was incredibly calm and chilled out during the whole ordeal, I think I hotboxed her with feliway.

How did you keep that thing upside up and not shaking during the drive?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Haven't been in here in awhile, but... I've had Squeak for 9 years. He was one of those "free to a good home" cats.

He's now 14, and has been a bit less active over the past year, but mostly we chalked that up to age. A couple of days ago he quit eating and starting puking up bile - so we took him to the emergency vet.

Kidney failure, with a side of upcoming liver failure, and he's dropped from 14 lbs to 10.75 (I last weighed him 2 weeks ago). Their best option that we could afford was tons of IV/subq fluids and sending him home (the only other option offered was hospitalization, which I can't afford), with a followup with our regular vet Monday. This guy HATES the vet, but he didn't maul any of the techs or the vet, so something was clearly wrong the moment we opened the carrier.

He was a little more active when he got home (and still growling/hissing a bit in the carrier), and ate/drank a little - but not much. He's planted himself on the foot of my bed, and has only left to pee/eat (still no bowel movements).

The way the e-vet worded it was "we're giving him fluids in hopes of him making it until Monday", which has me thinking that Monday will be time for a decision. :smithicide:

Sorry for venting.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Aleph Null posted:

My allergist recommended Allerpet-C, it's great for my allergies (plus the shots and regular vacuuming).

I have 2 old cats and 2 kittens and the oldsters do not pal around with the kittens, if you want your old cat to be happy I wouldn't get rambunctious kittens.

For the poster with the peeing cat, I second switching to canned food and also suggest a fountain. The extra water fixed my pisser's problem after we had tried all sorts of other solutions.

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008

duckfarts posted:

How did you keep that thing upside up and not shaking during the drive?

I have a converter like this one: http://www.amazon.com/TsirTech%C2%AE-Portable-Inverter-Converter-cellphones/dp/B004VFSLP6/ I didn't have any issues with it shaking.
I've used my converter for all sorts of things since I travel a lot with students who constantly forget to charge their computers/phones before a weekend competition and never had a problem with it, and the converter unit was cool when I pulled it. Upon googling it, it appears that I'm not the only one that has had their plug in start smoking and burning, even while plugged in to a wall socket at home. I'm going to call the company tomorrow and see what they have to say.

some texas redneck posted:

Haven't been in here in awhile, but... I've had Squeak for 9 years. He was one of those "free to a good home" cats.

He's now 14, and has been a bit less active over the past year, but mostly we chalked that up to age. A couple of days ago he quit eating and starting puking up bile - so we took him to the emergency vet.

Kidney failure, with a side of upcoming liver failure, and he's dropped from 14 lbs to 10.75 (I last weighed him 2 weeks ago). Their best option that we could afford was tons of IV/subq fluids and sending him home (the only other option offered was hospitalization, which I can't afford), with a followup with our regular vet Monday. This guy HATES the vet, but he didn't maul any of the techs or the vet, so something was clearly wrong the moment we opened the carrier.

He was a little more active when he got home (and still growling/hissing a bit in the carrier), and ate/drank a little - but not much. He's planted himself on the foot of my bed, and has only left to pee/eat (still no bowel movements).

The way the e-vet worded it was "we're giving him fluids in hopes of him making it until Monday", which has me thinking that Monday will be time for a decision. :smithicide:

Sorry for venting.

If it's time, you should come up with a cat bucket list and give him the best few days of his life. :unsmith: Outdoor adventures, foods he loves or hasn't tried, stuff like that.
If the subq fluids are helping and you want to try to give him another shot, there might be some meds worth trying. Learning how to administer the fluids at home isn't too hard. When my dad's cat started going downhill and he found out her liver was failing, she went on some medicine that helped her liver function. It didn't help forever, but it did give us 18 more months with her.

Super 3
Dec 31, 2007

Sometimes the powers you get are shit.
Cat update.

I moved some furniture around and placed another large litter box in our bedroom behind the door with a new kind of litter in it. It's a rather large box without a lid, but the suggestion of the rubbermaid container was a good one. In the bedroom I also have a feliway diffuser. There is a second diffuser downstairs and he's rocking a calming collar too. Going to get a baby gate to put in front of our bedroom door to make sure the dog can't intrude on his cat solitude. I dunno if the dog has anything to do with his anxiety around the other room and the litter box but the baby gate is cheap.

I changed the litter in the old box to the new stuff.

I bought a different XTREME bottle of cat piss remover and went to town in all the spots that he's peed at.

He also got a thundershirt today. Gravity and cat bone density instantly started to behave erratically. He jumped up on the table, yowled then basically flopped off it like gravity had just reversed itself. Figuring he was just being dramatic I decide to wait it out then he then decided to pee on the upstairs futon. The last bastion of dog bed comfort. He's never done this before, luckily it didnt penetrate to the mattress but it got a healthy spray of cat piss cleaner. Suffice to say the thundershirt will probably be going back.

Got him a few cans of wet food too. He usually grazes throughout the day so while there is some food in his bowl he'll pick at the wet food which is on a plate downstairs. I can hear him around the corner scarfing dry food right now, after he had picked at his wet food for about 10 minutes.

I just ordered some cat attract and a spray bottle of the feliway for spot treatment of stuff. So we'll see how that goes.

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

Just wanted to say thank you for all your support! Pants is eating, pooping and generally just like himself again!

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Facepalm Ranger posted:

Just wanted to say thank you for all your support! Pants is eating, pooping and generally just like himself again!

That makes me glad!

ATP5G1
Jun 22, 2005
Fun Shoe

Diogines posted:

I have declined to follow your advice to become a crazy cat lady, because for other reasons, I am a man.

Sounds like you've got some reading to do!

I bought it for my boyfriend and he was not amused

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

About two or three weeks ago my family got a pair of kittens. And I just found out that we might of gotten them way too early at six weeks old.

They seem to be acting completely normally for kittens. But I was wondering if there is any sort of long terms problems caused by that I should keep an eye out for and ways to compensate for that extra two or more weeks of socialization with their mothers they missed out on.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Search isn't working for me so i got a small question, do the food amounts specified in cat food cans take into account that the cat is neutered?(this is just normal kitten food from zooplus) or should i just remove about 30% of it myself, my kitten gets fed about 240 grams of food over a day which is about 255 kcal, he weights at 3.55 kilos right now and had a broken leg as a small kitten so too much weight could harm the leg again as it is a bit stiff.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Delerion posted:

Search isn't working for me so i got a small question, do the food amounts specified in cat food cans take into account that the cat is neutered?(this is just normal kitten food from zooplus) or should i just remove about 30% of it myself, my kitten gets fed about 240 grams of food over a day which is about 255 kcal, he weights at 3.55 kilos right now and had a broken leg as a small kitten so too much weight could harm the leg again as it is a bit stiff.

Can you restate your question? It looks kinda like word salad.

If your question is "how much do I feed my cat that had a broken leg", I'd say feed it normally and stop overthinking it. As for "too much weight", you have a kitten; it's going to grow a lot. Period.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf

duckfarts posted:

Can you restate your question? It looks kinda like word salad.

If your question is "how much do I feed my cat that had a broken leg", I'd say feed it normally and stop overthinking it. As for "too much weight", you have a kitten; it's going to grow a lot. Period.

Do the food amount recommendations specified in cat food cans take into account that the cat is neutered? or should i just remove about 30% of it myself.

He's about 11 months now so dont know how much he will grow anymore, in either case i will probably visit the vet next month for vaccinations and such.

The vet did warn me about staying below 4 kilos so i'm on the safe side for that so far.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Delerion posted:

Do the food amount recommendations specified in cat food cans take into account that the cat is neutered? or should i just remove about 30% of it myself.

He's about 11 months now so dont know how much he will grow anymore, in either case i will probably visit the vet next month for vaccinations and such.

The vet did warn me about staying below 4 kilos so i'm on the safe side for that so far.

The recommendations don't really care about whether your cat is neutered or spayed. That said, they tend to be a bit on the high side, so I wouldn't worry too much about taking a bit off.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."
Pee question! Hooray!

Basically, before I take this up with the vet, is there something obvious I'm missing?

Spayed, indoor-only lady cat (about 5yrs) has started determinedly peeing on the mats around the litter boxes, but also happily uses the boxes. I can't get her to stop. Could this just be an extension of her claiming her area? She will openly do it in front of me if I happen to be there.
She's happy, alert, healthy (albeit a little bit fat), and gets on fairly well with her two buddies who are definitely not the culprits (I could write an essay on why, but let's settle with believing me).

The boxes are huge covered ones that could seat two cats at a time. I've bought new mats, I machine launder them with detergent and then pet smell remover whenever I spot a fresh pool (pretty much daily), and now her boxes and mats rest on a large plastic sheet that I also machine wash. It's purely to get any stagnant piss out, so I'm not using huge amounts of flowery scented cleaning product, but nor am I returning anything that smells of her pee.

Yesterday I jury-rigged an extension cable to the nearby wall and plugged in Feliway. I also laundered the plastic sheet, the mats and scrubbed out the boxes all in the same afternoon... We're now about 18hrs pee-free.

My thoughts: There's a known tomcat (or two) that like to patrol our back garden (so much that we have grooves in the grass where they patrol) and Lucina is probably smelling their frequent markings when using her favourite windowsill seat. The window opens onto this garden. The toms taken to leaving poops all over, sometimes a few feet from the door, so there's some kind of literal pissing match going on out there. Could their messages be reaching my cat instead?

She sees the vet each month (on the dot) so in a few days it'll be jab time and I'll bring it up anyway.

Whitenoise Poster posted:

About two or three weeks ago my family got a pair of kittens. And I just found out that we might of gotten them way too early at six weeks old.

They seem to be acting completely normally for kittens. But I was wondering if there is any sort of long terms problems caused by that I should keep an eye out for and ways to compensate for that extra two or more weeks of socialization with their mothers they missed out on.

I've brought kittens up from younger, and from what I've noticed, really good food helps a lot. But their later behaviour is down to the kitty. Lots and lots of handling helps keep them very tolerant of you.
That said, one of my cats I rescued doesn't know how to purr, and doesn't know how to switch it off when it starts. She just sort of sighs and vibrates contentedly when happy. I could speculate that's from being separated early.

Bogwoppit fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Jun 2, 2014

Facepalm Ranger
Jan 17, 2012

A cat that doesn't know how to purr is the saddest thing :ohdear:.

Bogwoppit
Feb 9, 2012

"Dirty little bin-goblin."

Facepalm Ranger posted:

A cat that doesn't know how to purr is the saddest thing :ohdear:.

I think your measurements may be off, and in fact this is the saddest thing.

Mina is plenty happy, she just signhs contentedly and digs her face into you. She will purr on the staircase, and occasionally just starts. She doesn't know how to stop again, though. It's like a small kid with hiccups. You can pick her up and use her like a mandolin, squeaking indignantly and she will still be purring like an engine.

Tamarillo
Aug 6, 2009
A-hole foster kittens are a-holes

Now, quick question - clompy footed husband was trying to put away some meat while six screaming kittens were ballyhooing for a taste at his feet, and he accidentally trod on a kitten foot. He moved the instant he felt not-floor under his foot, but now the kitten is favouring his front right leg. Kitten is still putting some weight on it and the little bastard is still climbing our legs, but more slowly and carefully now. He let me feel down his leg and paw and flex his claws without complaint, and there's no swelling, but he's still limping a bit. I think he's probably sore from being squashed momentarily but I don't think anything is broken. My plan is to watch him carefully for a couple of days and if he's still gammy-legged, take him to the vet - is this insanity?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Grape Soda posted:

If it's time, you should come up with a cat bucket list and give him the best few days of his life. :unsmith: Outdoor adventures, foods he loves or hasn't tried, stuff like that.
If the subq fluids are helping and you want to try to give him another shot, there might be some meds worth trying. Learning how to administer the fluids at home isn't too hard. When my dad's cat started going downhill and he found out her liver was failing, she went on some medicine that helped her liver function. It didn't help forever, but it did give us 18 more months with her.

The fluids helped.. for a day, then he was back to not really moving.

We took him to our regular vet yesterday morning - the emergency vet had sent over his bloodwork. The vet agreed everything looked bad, except for his weight (he's dropped weight, but not bony - 10.75 lbs, down from his usual 13). Vet wanted to try hospitalization for a few days, we agreed. The emergency vet had told us she wasn't sure he'd live through the weekend, our regular vet is giving him 50/50 odds of making it through the week.

Also, he normally tries to kill each and every person in an exam room before perching himself on top of the cabinets (which is why he's been banned from a couple of practices). When he came out of the carrier yesterday, he growled and hissed a lot, but didn't put up a fight. That's when you know he feels like poo poo. :ohdear:

We called last night just before they closed - he'd definitely perked up a bit and was making the tech's lives hell. :v: I'm going to swing up there today and see him.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord

Facepalm Ranger posted:

And he's home!

I'm quite happy to see this :)

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I'm looking to buy a door with a cat door for my apartment so that my cats can get onto and off the deck easily and I can leave the cat box out there. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can I buy the whole thing in one go or do I need to find and buy a door and then cut a hole in it for the cat door?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Talorat posted:

I'm looking to buy a door with a cat door for my apartment so that my cats can get onto and off the deck easily and I can leave the cat box out there. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can I buy the whole thing in one go or do I need to find and buy a door and then cut a hole in it for the cat door?

I've never seen a door with a cat door built in, although they may exist. I've always just cut a hole in the door when I needed to install one. The cat doors come with a template and instructions on how to do it, generally.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
In that case where do I go about buying a door. Do they just sell them at home depot or Lowes?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Talorat posted:

In that case where do I go about buying a door. Do they just sell them at home depot or Lowes?

Yeah, any home improvement store will sell doors.

Make sure to measure the height and width of the current door, which way it opens, and the location and type of hinges to make sure it all matches.

As long as the doorway itself is reasonably plumb and square it should drop right in.

ED: Also, make sure the hole for the doorknob is in the right place to hit the latch in the frame, and that your current hardware will fit.

All this poo poo is why it's becoming common to buy the door, hardware, and outer frame as a unit and install the whole thing in the hole in the wall from the current door. Replacing a door by itself is a pain.

Deteriorata fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
I was just sitting down to breakfast before heading into work when there was a familiar scream from the back door direction. Someone was coming through the RFID tag reading catflap with a 'guest'. A short clatter of the inside flap and Buffy trotted into the kitchen and under a chair giving off her 'this one is mine' growl. I shut the door to the rest of the house as I really didn't feel like a game of chase the bunny before work.
I needn't have bothered as she was in a business mood - she bit down killing it within a couple of minutes, accepted her praise and demanded her breakfast. I'm glad she's still so active at 15 and even happier to have her not eat them. It's probably only the first of many though, every year around now the fresh young rabbits come into my garden where Buffy greets them. Their parents learned to stay out of the garden despite the tempting greenery and thus stay alive.