Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tornhelm
Jul 26, 2008

radlum posted:

I guess that Abbot thing is John's way to ask for forgiveness after he said the whole country was casually racist.

The thing is, we are. I mean to the point where according to Section 25 of the Australian Constitution it says that the states can ban people from voting based on their race, and Section 51(xxvi) can be used to discriminate against people based on their race.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
For real... I studied abroad i Australia and was very much surprised at the casual racism. I don't know that the passive aggressive racism in Midwest is any better but it's a stark contrast.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013
In all honestly the casually racist remark is spot on. The amount of times I've been hanging out with people who are seemingly awesome until BOOM! offhanded massively racist comment, is sickening.

I clearly remember as a kid the first time I really noticed “people being different”. Going through the public school system ‘round Parramatta way you wind up with a hodge podge of backgrounds - when Kindy started we had couple of kids who barely spoke English but by the end of the year everyone was nattering away in the same semi-broad accent.

The first time I really noticed people being different was when my family went down to The Shire for a wedding. We went into Miranda Westfield to pick up a card and the whole time something just felt… wrong. Finally it dawned on ten year old me - I’d never seen so many white people in my life.

I’m Scottish.

Rougey fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jun 3, 2014

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Rougey posted:

The first time I really noticed people being different was when my family went down to The Shire for a wedding.

I’m Scottish.
You sound more like a Hobbit.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Y-Hat posted:

You sound more like a Hobbit.
I wish.

I loving wish.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
That was amazing. Thanks for bringing our lovely prime minister to the attention of a whole new audience, but the whole thing was great. A visual newspaper for a visual age.

Also: I never noticed any racism as a kid in Australia, even in a fairly rough school. Don't know if it's kids that just turn into shitheads or a sign of the times or just me being oblivious, but it seems to have gotten worse lately.

Woden
May 6, 2006

Rougey posted:

In all honestly the casually racist remark is spot on. The amount of times I've been hanging out with people who are seemingly awesome until BOOM! offhanded massively racist comment, is sickening.

I clearly remember as a kid the first time I really noticed “people being different”. Going through the public school system ‘round Parramatta way you wind up with a hodge podge of backgrounds - when Kindy started we had couple of kids who barely spoke English but by the end of the year everyone was nattering away in the same semi-broad accent.

The first time I really noticed people being different was when my family went down to The Shire for a wedding. We went into Miranda Westfield to pick up a card and the whole time something just felt… wrong. Finally it dawned on ten year old me - I’d never seen so many white people in my life.

I’m Scottish.

My life was pretty similar, primary school in Parramatta was exactly like that and then I moved to Queensland and :stare:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

What in the actual everloving gently caress?!?

I want to believe that this happened in some place with recurring racist violence from police-known racist groups and not in your average australian place where otherwise completely normal people turned racist lynchmob because brown people were somehow stealing their beaches.

:stare:

ultramiraculous
Nov 12, 2003

"No..."
Grimey Drawer

Duzzy Funlop posted:

brown people were somehow stealing their beaches.

This is the most Australian thing.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Wow, that loving video.

Also, I guess the term "Paddywagon" still flies in Australia.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

My favorite part of that clip:

"...and after two nearby bottle shops were closed around 5pm, most of the crowd began to disperse."

It's like an episode of South Park come to life.

Shadoer
Aug 31, 2011

Zoe Quinn is one of many women targeted by the Gamergate harassment campaign.

Support a feminist today!

Ok the FCC comment section seems to be working again.

Also to post a comment, you have to click the proceeding number of "Protecting and Promoting the Open Internet" or just go to this link: http://apps.fcc.gov/ecfs/upload/begin?procName=14-28&filedFrom=X

So far it has 47,061 comments.

I think we can do better.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Wow, that loving video.

pretty common parlance up here in Canada too.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
Why don't we all throw together a bunch of PBXs and switchboards and make our own internet? It's been done for years, just not en masse.
Of course I didn't sleep last night so I'm sure I'm way off of anything that could be plausible in real life.
[edit: and can't find the discussion here that popped up during the Arab Spring on where it's done in the U.S. and with very detailed schematics]

Hey. Hey.
Don't tread on my dreams man.

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jun 3, 2014

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Paradox Personified posted:

Why don't we all throw together a bunch of PBXs and switchboards and make our own internet? It's been done for years, just not en masse.
Of course I didn't sleep last night so I'm sure I'm way off of anything that could be plausible in real life.

It would be easy since the internet is just a serious of tubes.

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Wow, that loving video.

Paddywagon is bad?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fateo McMurray posted:

Paddywagon is bad?

It refers to the van the cops throw all the drunken Irish into so yeah.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

IRQ posted:

Or more likely the Irish cops that drove them.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Fateo McMurray posted:

Paddywagon is bad?

Irish slang term?

Fateo McMurray
Mar 22, 2003

That's dumb and I'm gonna keep using it

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I'll be honest, I have no idea what Caillou is, but I'm with the gently caress you caillou because his name is loving stupid.

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

IRQ posted:

Ah the Irish.

First victims of the causal racism in this country - In my lifetime I expect to see a feral Asian Australian telling some Ivory Coast refugees to gently caress off back to Africa... wait no already seen it.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SpookyLizard posted:

I'll be honest, I have no idea what Caillou is, but I'm with the gently caress you caillou because his name is loving stupid.

Caillou is Francophone Canada's answer to Anglophone Canada's Johnny Test.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

nine-gear crow posted:

Beiber makes strike 3. We need to send a nuke to the great white north.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords

nine-gear crow posted:

Also produced by a downright rotten company. Cartoon from back in 2000. Epic court case about plagiarism against it.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

nine-gear crow posted:

Ill be honest, i have no idea what any of this means.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

SpookyLizard posted:

Ill be honest, i have no idea what any of this means.

Caillou is basically the French-Canadian version of Johnny Test. To understand further, go to Quebec and see how long until you want to leave.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Well seeing as it's full of Canadiens fans I doubt it would be long.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Wow, that loving video.

For what it's worth, it's called a Divvy Van in Victoria.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
Wow that net neutrality video is almost at 3 million views. The consistency with which his clips have gone viral is pretty staggering, especially after only like 5 shows.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Yeah, he's basically the Jimmy Fallon of the political late nights.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:

ufarn posted:

Yeah, he's basically the Jimmy Fallon of the political late nights.

But people like John Oliver.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Paradox Personified posted:

But people like John Oliver.

People must like Jimmy as well. I've got a certain fondness in that pet sort of way. He's somewhat endearing even if he is too eager/excitable.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Cerepol posted:

People must like Jimmy as well. I've got a certain fondness in that pet sort of way. He's somewhat endearing even if he is too eager/excitable.

They should just have Justin Timberlake take over the show from Jimmy.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Yahh John Oliver!

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
:drat: German burn

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Last Week Tonight with John Oliver: Tonight, I would like to show you my Sausage.

Fresh Like Zafo
May 31, 2012

John Oliver going in on FIFA? Niiiiiiiceeeeee.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

HOLY poo poo!

NFL Teams right now are being accused of drugging up injured players. They are no where near FIFA's level of corruption.

How? That doesn't look like a real movie.

Well why would I wan't to watch anything FIFA after that piece John?

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Jun 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
This is better Syria analysis than my undergrads can provide

Edit: gently caress me what an ending

J33uk fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 9, 2014

• Locked thread