Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

How are modern digitally shot movies archived? Is there a vault somewhere with Avatar burned to a bunch of blu-rays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

marktheando posted:

How are modern digitally shot movies archived? Is there a vault somewhere with Avatar burned to a bunch of blu-rays?

Digitally shot films can be output into 35mm film but when you register your work with the Library of Congress they just require a DVD.

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

As far as unreliable narrators go, Steven Soderbergh's The Informant! plays with a variation of this.

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

WastedJoker posted:

There's a lot of books with an unreliable narrator but is there such a thing in film?

Detour is a famous one.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

therattle posted:

Digitally shot films can be output into 35mm film but when you register your work with the Library of Congress they just require a DVD.

Some studios have strict 35mm archiving for digital films. Paramount backs up everything. For example, I read an article about Hugo being preserved with full B&W color separations for both eyes, as well as interpositives, reference prints, and duplicate negatives.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
The narrator in Fallen is pretty unreliable.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.
The Killing is pretty well known for the disconnect between the narrator and what is actually happening. Kubrick didn't want the narration, but was forced to include it, so he went ahead and made it all messed up. Probably the only time an unreliable narrator was created not for story reasons, but to spite the people that demanded the narration.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

therattle posted:

Weird. DVDs are so low quality though. Is here a reason for that?

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

bows1 posted:

Well it's a government run agency so they probably only started even doing DVD like 5 years ago.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

bows1 posted:

You send your works to the LoC for the purposes of establishing copyright, not for any archival purposes.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

You send your works to the LoC for the purposes of establishing copyright, not for any archival purposes.

Yeah, the National Film Preservation board archives important films, but too many are made every year for one organization (especially a line item on the Congressional budget) to seriously archive everything. The LoC is about ensuring access. If you are a member of Congress, or one of their staff, you can check out anything in the library, which functionally means you can check out anything ever published in this country.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Egbert Souse posted:

Some studios have strict 35mm archiving for digital films. Paramount backs up everything. For example, I read an article about Hugo being preserved with full B&W color separations for both eyes, as well as interpositives, reference prints, and duplicate negatives.

That doesn't surprise me. I would have thought that 35mm was the superior archiving medium. I'd be very reluctant to archive anything in a digital format.

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever
The absence of SubG is gonna hurt here, but:

Give me some off-the-beaten-path Hong Kong crime films (no John Woo, Johnnie To, Ringo Lam, Andrew Lau films need apply).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Criminal Minded posted:

Give me some off-the-beaten-path Hong Kong crime films (no John Woo, Johnnie To, Ringo Lam, Andrew Lau films need apply).
Chungking Express and Fallen Angels have crime segments in them, although I wouldn't call them action movies (there are some action scenes in the second, though).

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Criminal Minded posted:

If you wanna go really offbeat, there's The Untold Story, which has been gettin some chatter in the horror thread. Be warned though, it's as much a horror movie as it is a crime drama, and it is extremely grisly.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

WastedJoker posted:

There's a lot of books with an unreliable narrator but is there such a thing in film?

Schweinhund posted:

Adventures of Baron Munchausen

And also by Terry Gilliam, Twelve Monkeys. The part where little kid Bruce Willis remembers the face of the bomber wrong.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
It's TV instead of film but the series finale of Leverage is full of unreliable narration.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

And also by Terry Gilliam, Twelve Monkeys. The part where little kid Bruce Willis remembers the face of the bomber wrong.

Bomber? Also nice job spoiling a nearly 20 year old movie.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

therattle posted:

That doesn't surprise me. I would have thought that 35mm was the superior archiving medium. I'd be very reluctant to archive anything in a digital format.

A lot of people don't realize for all it's flammability, nitrate film holds up extremely well when preserved correctly. The nitrate negatives to films like The Wizard of Oz and Gone with the Wind are in fantastic condition. The problem is that the nitrate era was of poor storage and neglect. Eastmancolor negatives from up until the mid 1980s will eventually fade to oblivion regardless of storage.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

david_a posted:

Chungking Express and Fallen Angels have crime segments in them, although I wouldn't call them action movies (there are some action scenes in the second, though).

Days of Being Wild and As Tears Go By would be the Wong Kar-Wai films that feel more "crime-y" to me. The former even has a gunfight and assassination that kinda comes out of nowhere.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style
Re: unreliable narration, I always liked the idea that Life Aquatic was actually the story that a drunk/sad Zissou was telling you many years after the fact (there isn't much to support that but I still like it)

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Isn't there a movie that ends with flashbacks to previously-seen scenes, but now the camera pulls back and you see that someone else was always present in those scenes and the audience just didn't know it?

Or am I thinking of a Beck music video?

That feels so familiar...

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Rabbit Hill posted:

Isn't there a movie that ends with flashbacks to previously-seen scenes, but now the camera pulls back and you see that someone else was always present in those scenes and the audience just didn't know it?

Fight Club?

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
The 4th season of Arrested Development has a running gag with that, shown over several episodes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

WastedJoker posted:

Last years The Lone Ranger.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Rabbit Hill posted:

Puss In Boots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLQXfmiBnHY

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 5, 2014

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.
Ok either I had a fever dream or spent my life as a young movie watcher high as balls.

On a old VHS recorded copy of rock 4 the ending has Drago winning he basicly knocks the hell out of Rocky, bit when every one is cheering for him he picks rocky up and starts chanting Rocky, then Rocky gives his speech. I can not find anything about this at all, all the alternate ending clips on youtube are just different cuts of the film to make it look like Drago wins. Did I imagine this or what? Its driving me crazy.

Edit. It still has the scene of where the Russians slowly start to clap but this time its because rocky refuses to go down. I am trying to find a working VHS player and see if I still have the tape some where.

Darth Freddy fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jun 6, 2014

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Darth Freddy posted:

Ok either I had a fever dream or spent my life as a young movie watcher high as balls.

On a old VHS recorded copy of rock 4 the ending has Drago winning he basicly knocks the hell out of Rocky, bit when every one is cheering for him he picks rocky up and starts chanting Rocky, then Rocky gives his speech. I can not find anything about this at all, all the alternate ending clips on youtube are just different cuts of the film to make it look like Drago wins. Did I imagine this or what? Its driving me crazy.

Edit. It still has the scene of where the Russians slowly start to clap but this time its because rocky refuses to go down. I am trying to find a working VHS player and see if I still have the tape some where.

Pretty sure it was a fever dream. It wouldn't make any sense for Drago to beat Rocky in the end, given the entire theme of the movie (USA is the best! We don't use steroids like those nasty Ruskies! And also we train by running through snow instead of your fancy pants gym slash lab. Cause you can't beat that good ol' American spirit, and also freedom).

Rocky would never let a Russian beat him.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Rabbit Hill posted:

This is awkward because it's a spoiler for the movie, but the Australian horror film Lake Mungo does this with photographs.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Hmm, I don't think Fight Club is what I was remembering, and I haven't seen the other films mentioned, although this is hilarious --

It's clearly a much more commonly used device than I was aware of. This is the Beck video that uses it (zoom-outs start around 2:50)--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aa3rBVb3v4g

On a completely different note, is there any word when Only Lovers Left Alive will be either given a wide release in theaters or put out on DVD?

Sirocco
Jan 27, 2009

HEY DIARY! HA HA HA!
So, here I am again, with another small question. This time in regards to my game I've been finessing random events after a reviewer thought Brad Pitt was a bizarre casting choice and would have preferred... Brad Pitt. So, I've been working on more events/comments that refer back to earlier movies ("I found [director]'s work reminiscent of [other director]'s work on [film]" for instance). So what I'm looking for, if anyone's willing to suggest some, are interesting comparisons between movies for particular film workers (specifically screenwriters, directors, composers, and actors). It could be anything, a critical note of possible plagiarism, a passing thought, an intended parody, whatever.

Sirocco fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 6, 2014

ClydeUmney
May 13, 2004

One can hardly ignore the Taoist implications of "Fuck it, Dude. Let's go bowling."

Rabbit Hill posted:

Hmm, I don't think Fight Club is what I was remembering, and I haven't seen the other films mentioned, although this is hilarious --

It's clearly a much more commonly used device than I was aware of. This is the Beck video that uses it (zoom-outs start around 2:50)--

It's not quite the same thing, but are you maybe thinking of The Rules of Attraction? There's the girl who commits suicide and the film reveals how much she's been in the movie before then.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.

Rabbit Hill posted:

Did anyone mention Synecdoche, NY?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Not sure if I should put this in the horror thread or not, but:

I've been watching a decent amount of found-footage films of late, and they usually wind up with the people we've watched dying (or ambiguously disposed), generally at the hands of whatever they were out there to look for. Are there any films in the genre that switch that around at all?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

MisterBibs posted:

Not sure if I should put this in the horror thread or not, but:

I've been watching a decent amount of found-footage films of late, and they usually wind up with the people we've watched dying (or ambiguously disposed), generally at the hands of whatever they were out there to look for. Are there any films in the genre that switch that around at all?

The Dirties.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Restrepo.

Senso
Nov 4, 2005

Always working
Afflicted.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
When people make movies that have fictional characters and stories based off real people do the movie makers have to pay or get releases from those real people or are they covered by the "any resemblance to real people or events is purely coincidence" by-line at the end of the movie?

I'm thinking about people writing movies based off their real life experiences. I'm sure people like cops, teachers, doctors, jail wardens, paramedics etc. have a bunch of awesome stories and have met a bunch of interesting characters. If they were to write and make a movie based on people and events they came across in real life are there any legal issues there?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

xcore posted:

When people make movies that have fictional characters and stories based off real people do the movie makers have to pay or get releases from those real people or are they covered by the "any resemblance to real people or events is purely coincidence" by-line at the end of the movie?

I'm thinking about people writing movies based off their real life experiences. I'm sure people like cops, teachers, doctors, jail wardens, paramedics etc. have a bunch of awesome stories and have met a bunch of interesting characters. If they were to write and make a movie based on people and events they came across in real life are there any legal issues there?

Generally you can portray real people (or fictionalised versions in a way that is recognisable and/or identifiable) as long as what you portray is true and/or not defamatory. However, depending on how prominently a person features in a film, it's generally advisable to get a release of some sort if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
Along those same lines, I have to imagine that if you are making a bio-pic then you don't have that "This is a work of fiction. Any resemblance to any persons, living or dead..." disclaimer at the end, right?

I mean, that kind of defeats the purpose of a biographical movie, doesn't it?