Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

I'm voting Donnelly because I want to watch the ensuing meltdown :unsmigghh:

While it would be fun, I'm a sucker for voting on principles when I can, which is what makes the Controller race so disappointing (I'd vote Laura Wells (Green) based on politics, but it's basically either Betty Yee or John Perez to be up against Swearengin in November, and I'd rather see the former than the latter)

Also, guess who's running for Attorney General (at least that election is easy, everyone else besides Kamala Harris is either Libertarian or Republican so...)

EDIT: Oh good, there IS a PSL candidate (running as Peace and Freedom)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

A COMPUTER GUY posted:

I'm voting Donnelly because I want to watch the ensuing meltdown :unsmigghh:

I love that the republican party's leader in the election is a racist who can't even remember where he left his guns.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

ComradeCosmobot posted:

While it would be fun, I'm a sucker for voting on principles when I can, which is what makes the Controller race so disappointing (I'd vote Laura Wells (Green) based on politics, but it's basically either Betty Yee or John Perez to be up against Swearengin in November, and I'd rather see the former than the latter)

Mind expanding on this?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Shbobdb posted:

Mind expanding on this?

One of the segments of Forum briefly talked about the race a couple days ago (starting about 8:25)

EDIT: The California Report is where I heard the most about it though.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 3, 2014

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Also, guess who's running for Attorney General (at least that election is easy, everyone else besides Kamala Harris is either Libertarian or Republican so...)

I lolled at her short campaign platform blurb, it was all Obama birther conspiracies.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

ComradeCosmobot posted:

EDIT: Oh good, there IS a PSL candidate (running as Peace and Freedom)

I was thinking the same thing, but then I thought, gently caress it. Establishing a public bank is one of those ideas that really resonates with me and I'm going to vote for a candidate (or two, Ellen Brown for Treasurer has the same platform) that makes it a campaign issue regardless of their viability. I recognize that strategic voting matters, but it doesn't matter enough in this case.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
^^^ I agree, and it's why I've made a note to vote Ellen Brown as my Treasurer candidate. But I'm still torn on the Controller ticket, even if Wells wants to audit Prop 13 :unsmigghh:. ^^^

Some wonderful bond arguments going on in the lower/mid-Peninsula by the way, with respect to a bond measure to help improve the many open spaces along the Santa Cruz Mountains, Measure AA (text markup has been unedited from the voter's pamphlet):

quote:

Think about this for a moment: this government agency claims it will require $300,000,000 to turn an unused piece of land into an unused piece of land.

For billions of years, Nature has traditionally performed this service for free; however, our local bureaucrats have found a way to make this freebie mind-blowingly expensive.

Where would this money go to then, if not to fulfill the District’s mission statement of, “…making a preserve system of diverse and unparalleled beauty.” you ask? Answer: “Provide parking areas” and “Add welcome center”. Seriously, that is what this money is for.

It is already illegal for the private sector to buy and develop anything on the Open Space District’s property, so the rejection of this proposed bond (and its enormous cost) will continue to preserve this land for the future.

Ironically, if this measure passes, then animals’ habitats will be torn from the ground to make way for construction crews and equipment. Not only will the passage of this bond put the region into nearly a half-billion dollars in debt, but it also guarantees that wild and indigenous species will be selectively destroyed to make way for the government’s contractors and builders. We are talking about years upon years of this type of activity, if this measure passes.

The people behind this bond-measure are supposed to be stewards of our green spaces; now they want to tear them up by handing out ridiculously lucrative contracts to the heavy-construction industry.

Visit: www.SVtaxpayers.org/2014-06-midpeninsula-regional-open-space-bond

/s/Mark W.A. Hinkle
President: Silicon Valley Taxpayers Association

/s/Edward Leo Wimmers
Chair, Libertarian Party of Santa Clara County

/s/Harland Harrison
Chair, Libertarian Party of San Mateo County.

They then add (in their argument against), that "Under the language of this measure, there is no telling how the $300 million will be used (except generally to purchase and maintain open space areas as provided in its Section 3). The section refers to an "Expenditure Plan" containing "priority actions" with lots of possible projects; however, no project is assured" and then demand that the proponents explain "how much money each of the many possible projects listed in the current 'Expenditure Plan' would cost", which the measure explicitly does (see the bottom of the measure), not that they seem to care. It is all very entertaining to see Libertarian whining about taxes though... :allears:

EDIT: P.S. If you don't want to vote for a Super Genius who "has tremendously used his Super Genius brain to the benefits of the American Students by instilling in them skills, confidence and competence in solving ANY Mathematical problems" for governor, there is always the choice to vote for the candidate whose campaign promises include "To all 100% people of California.", "We seen past twenty." and "East or west will be best on planet earth."

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 3, 2014

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013
"Patriot", "common sense", freedom", "Constitution", "hard-working"....

Tim Donnelly wins the prize for most cliche, red flag buzzwords this election.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

ComradeCosmobot posted:

^^^ I agree, and it's why I've made a note to vote Ellen Brown as my Treasurer candidate. But I'm still torn on the Controller ticket, even if Wells wants to audit Prop 13 :unsmigghh:. ^^^

Some wonderful bond arguments going on in the lower/mid-Peninsula by the way, with respect to a bond measure to help improve the many open spaces along the Santa Cruz Mountains, Measure AA (text markup has been unedited from the voter's pamphlet):

They then add (in their argument against), that "Under the language of this measure, there is no telling how the $300 million will be used (except generally to purchase and maintain open space areas as provided in its Section 3). The section refers to an "Expenditure Plan" containing "priority actions" with lots of possible projects; however, no project is assured" and then demand that the proponents explain "how much money each of the many possible projects listed in the current 'Expenditure Plan' would cost", which the measure explicitly does (see the bottom of the measure), not that they seem to care. It is all very entertaining to see Libertarian whining about taxes though... :allears:

EDIT: P.S. If you don't want to vote for a Super Genius who "has tremendously used his Super Genius brain to the benefits of the American Students by instilling in them skills, confidence and competence in solving ANY Mathematical problems" for governor, there is always the choice to vote for the candidate whose campaign promises include "To all 100% people of California.", "We seen past twenty." and "East or west will be best on planet earth."

The monsters are planning to build trails just for dogs at the cost of millions of dollars!!!

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

etalian posted:

The monsters are planning to build trails just for dogs at the cost of millions of dollars!!!

It's rather entertaining. As is Orly Taitz's statement for the Attorney General position:

quote:

Dr. Orly Taitz, Esq. is both a licensed attorney and a licensed doctor in CA, a businesswoman, a wife of 27 years and a mother of 3 sons. Taitz is seeking to uphold constitutional and civil rights of Californians. As an AG, Taitz will do the following: nullification of unconstitutional NSA spying on law abiding citizens of CA; nullification of use by NSA of Google, Facebook, Yahoo, and others as a tool in unconstitutional data gathering on citizens of CA, as well as candidates for office, elected officials, and judges; nullification of an unconstitutional discriminatory Obamacare tax levied on some of the citizens of CA and waived for corporations; homeowner and creditor assistance from recovered mortgage proceeds instead of funneling funds to cronies, targeted extortion, and shake downs; nullification of EPA mandates which destroy businesses and agriculture in CA and deprive the state of water badly needed for farming; nullification in CA provisions of trade agreements, such as TPP, TAFTA, NAFTA, WTO-GATT, which deprive citizens of work and environmental protection, as well as jobs, wages, and benefits; nullification of NDAA provisions which allow indefinite incarceration without trial; nullification of unfunded federal mandates which bankrupt businesses and state; end elections fraud; remove invalid voter registrations from databases; seek legitimacy of candidates; prosecute state officials who ignored all evidence brought by law enforcement and experts, showing Obama to possess citizenship of Indonesia, fabricated Selective Service certificate, fabricated birth certificate and a CT Social Security number, which failed both E-verify and SSNVS.

Incidentally, bad news for anyone who supports the Six Californias initiative: Republican Attorney General candidate John Haggerty will likely oppose the initiative, as he merely supports the right of Californians to separate into two states!

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
In the Long Beach mayoral election, I got a mailer where it argues that you shouldn't vote for Damon Dunn because he wasn't very good at football. There were other arguments, but that one was pretty silly.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

It's rather entertaining. As is Orly Taitz's statement for the Attorney General position:

Incidentally, bad news for anyone who supports the Six Californias initiative: Republican Attorney General candidate John Haggerty will likely oppose the initiative, as he merely supports the right of Californians to separate into two states!

She's got my vote! I can't wait to see state officials prosecuted for, uh, failing to be sufficiently paranoid about the president.

Other than that, man this is a boring primary. I'll vote so our local schools can get some desperately-needed funding, but everything else seems pretty inconsequential.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Telesphorus posted:

"Patriot", "common sense", freedom", "Constitution", "hard-working"....

Tim Donnelly wins the prize for most cliche, red flag buzzwords this election.

"got liberty?" :911:

e: just voted in the primary and by god is it depressing that I had almost no choice but the Republican for State Assembly and Congress

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Jun 3, 2014

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
I voted for Tim Donnelly :getin:

But serious, I just got back from voting. I was the 5th person. In 5 hours.

Telesphorus
Oct 28, 2013

Mayor Dave posted:

Well, on the bright side it makes your vote have more of an impact...

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mayor Dave posted:

I didn't even ask how many had been at my polling place, but it's in a hospice/care facility so I suspect it's just that I'll be one of maybe 5 sub-30-year-olds all day.

EDIT: Also, you convinced me to vote Green Party line instead of settling for Betty Yee for controller. Better to vote my conscience given that it's not like either D will be substantively different aside from Yee's somewhat greater experience. :patriot:

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 3, 2014

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Gann Jerrod posted:

In the Long Beach mayoral election, I got a mailer where it argues that you shouldn't vote for Damon Dunn because he wasn't very good at football. There were other arguments, but that one was pretty silly.

If this were Texas, that'd be a deal breaker for a lot of voters.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
They made a big deal of it when I walked in because the 5 poll workers hadn't seen anyone in 2 hours despite it being on a street with heavy foot traffic.

Bizarro Watt
May 30, 2010

My responsibility is to follow the Scriptures which call upon us to occupy the land until Jesus returns.
Mailed in my ballot weeks ago. I love being able to do that.

My ballot choices were mostly mainstream Democratic probably, though I avoided Alex Padilla for Secretary of State.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

Bizarro Watt posted:

Mailed in my ballot weeks ago. I love being able to do that.

My ballot choices were mostly mainstream Democratic probably, though I avoided Alex Padilla for Secretary of State.

I voted straight Green Party whenever they were available and Democrat when they weren't.

The way I see it, Round 1 in the new system is for throwaway/protest votes, and Round 2 is for meaningful votes.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The official rebuttals to some of the state propositions were literally "I always write rebuttals for propositions because somebody needs to." That guy devoted half of one of his rebuttals (for the veteran's housing bill, I think) to carpool lanes meaning that California highways are inevitably doomed to become toll roads. :toot:

Dave47
Oct 3, 2012

Shut up and take my money!

AYC posted:

I voted straight Green Party whenever they were available and Democrat when they weren't.

The way I see it, Round 1 in the new system is for throwaway/protest votes, and Round 2 is for meaningful votes.
In 2002 French leftists split their first round Presidential votes across a dozen parties, and consequentially faced a meaningful Round 2 choice between a conservative and a fascist.

If you support the Green party, then you should totally vote for them! But the first round of voting isn't a "throwaway" round.

AYC
Mar 9, 2014

Ask me how I smoke weed, watch hentai, everyday and how it's unfair that governments limits my ability to do this. Also ask me why I have to write in green text in order for my posts to stand out.

Dave47 posted:

In 2002 French leftists split their first round Presidential votes across a dozen parties, and consequentially faced a meaningful Round 2 choice between a conservative and a fascist.

If you support the Green party, then you should totally vote for them! But the first round of voting isn't a "throwaway" round.

The United States is a rigidly 2-party country which is about as likely to put a third-party candidate as one of two choices in a statewide election as Poland is to elect a Communist Party to lead them.

It's a throwaway vote because a Democrat/Republican race is a foregone conclusion.

AYC fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Jun 4, 2014

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

I thought with our new primary system we've actually had a few Dem-on-Dem races?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Grand Prize Winner posted:

I thought with our new primary system we've actually had a few Dem-on-Dem races?

We will, and we will have Republican on Republican races. Most people hear have been discussing the statewide offices where there is more even support for both parties. Or enough it won't be completely dominated by Democrats.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Dave47 posted:

Several cases in point in this election that I've already mentioned:

• If you have a strong preference between Donnelly and Kashkari as to who Brown should make a fool of, voting Green may be enough to turn the race one way or the other and bring your less-preferred opponent to the general.
  • If you have a strong preference between Yee and Perez for controller, voting Green could similarly throw the election and force you to vote for your less-preferred of the two Democratic "backup" candidates in the next round.
  • If you're in District 17 and you're a Republican, voting for the spoiler candidate Joel Vanlandingham would effectively dilute your already weak vote and help ensure that Ro Khanna would face Mike Honda in the fall rather than Vanila Singh, the mainstream Republican pick, doing the same.

EDIT: Basically, unlike non-jungle primaries, you are strongly incentivized to vote for a bland centrist twice: first for the most electable candidate on your side of the political aisle (even if they are "too centrist" for your liking) to try to siphon away the most votes in the general, and then for the lesser of two evils (because the people on the opposite side of the spectrum will have done the same to maximize their party's chances of success, too).

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 4, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

AYC posted:

It's a throwaway vote because a Democrat/Republican race is a foregone conclusion.

Not always. I live in a majority dem district. There were 2 republicans, a bunch of dems, and some others.
The dem vote split and the top two vote getters were republicans.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

nm posted:

Not always. I live in a majority dem district. There were 2 republicans, a bunch of dems, and some others.

Which district was that? I assume you mean in 2012.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

nm posted:

To be fair, with how mutable the California proposition system is, I suspect Top-Two will be gone within 10 years of this scenario happening in the gubernatorial race leading to a Republican governor. Would be better if it was gone now, but not much can be done about that yet.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

Which district was that? I assume you mean in 2012.

31st.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

ComradeCosmobot posted:

[*]If you have a strong preference between Yee and Perez for controller, voting Green could similarly throw the election and force you to vote for your less-preferred of the two Democratic "backup" candidates in the next round.

Wait, there are people who are actually going to vote for Leland Yee? After literally being accused of gun running?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Mayor Dave posted:

Wait, there are people who are actually going to vote for Leland Yee? After literally being accused of gun running?

Betty Yee (no relation)

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

People who want more guns in CA and don't care if they're legal or not? I could imagine some libertarian and drug-industry support. Maybe Hell's Angels, too.

^: Oh god, I'm dumb.

Think Yee's gonna have a name-conflation problem? We're at least marginally better informed than the general public and still at least two people here confused her with Leland.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

Betty Yee (no relation)

She should make sure that her name appears on the ballot exactly like this.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Oh man, I was freaking out because I mixed up the positions on the ballot. He's actually listed under Secretary of State.

e: and on that note:
https://twitter.com/WaltersBee/status/474028245940060160

Indie Dan Schnur trailing indicted Leland Yee in secretary of state contest

Mayor Dave fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 4, 2014

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Think Yee's gonna have a name-conflation problem? We're at least marginally better informed than the general public and still at least two people here confused her with Leland.

Well with 6% in, she's currently leading, though not by a large margin, so it's not hurting her that badly. Swearengin seems to be suffering from the fact that there is a second Republican on the ballot splitting her votes, effectively making this a 4-way race. It's unclear at the moment who will make it to November of any of the two Democrats and two Republicans.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lolling at how people still go to the polling station in California.

Just fill it out right and do the magic double fold thing at the end.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

etalian posted:

The nearest polling station is closer than the nearest mailbox for me, no deal

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

etalian posted:

I've done mail-in voting plenty before. I dunno. I just feel good casting a ballot in person for the second time since getting out of college/university... :shobon:

Also, my nearest polling place is literally next door to my apartment complex so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
I get my mail-in ballot and then turn it in at the polling station on election day.