Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

forkboy84 posted:

Part of it is he's just really cartoonish anyway, which makes him easy fodder for hack cartoonists. Draw a face, add fag & pint, you have yourself a Nigel Farage.

Have you ever done a GIS for "nigel farage" and just scrolled? It's amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

I love how the first suggested add on term is "plane crash"

My favourite picture. :allears:

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
European elections were coming up and his party was favored to win them, which it did. He'll now recede from the news and things will return to Scotland, Cameron's shittishness, the next elections, etc.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Dolash posted:

I don't live in Britain so maybe I'm missing something, but there seems to be a strange fascination with UKIP among cartoonists of all stripes. Honestly, looking at their electoral gains they don't sound all that impressive, I mean maybe they can replace the Liberal Democrats as the party that comes in third but the way they're being portrayed in these cartoons it's like Nigel Farage is about to throw the Beerhall Putsch or something.

Even cartoonists who would normally spend their time making GBS threads on the Conservatives and mocking Cameron seem to portray Nigel as a looming threat, which is weird when he's just a clown who could never be Prime Minister or probably even leader of the opposition. It's kind of the way the Americans reacted to the Tea Party and Sarah Palin, only with even less chance at success.

The main thing I've noticed is that UKIP are at the moment a protest "gently caress the two-party system" vote for people who don't know poo poo about politics. Literally all they know about UKIP is they're the shiny new thing and they're moving up in the world. I tend to avoid political stuff on Facebook but one of my friends reposted a ton of UKIP stuff and not only does he not have enough critical thinking skill to see their bitter, unpleasant racism, I doubt he actually understands what they're even for, beyond "They're going to fix Europe, I guess".

So people are just blindly jumping on the bandwagon, a bit like the Liberal Democrats in the last election (which turned out pretty well, we can all agree) except with a completely feckless one-note group of hateful pricks instead of an actual political party with policies and MPs and so on. The same thing happened with Nick Clegg, for ages he'd been mocked for being a political nobody, then when he did well in one debate the papers freaked out and practically declared him next Prime Minister.

Hopefully Farage's next big move is to get back in his lovely little prop plane and gently caress off over the horizon.

0dB
Jan 3, 2009

TheDarkFlame posted:

The main thing I've noticed is that UKIP are at the moment a protest "gently caress the two-party system" vote for people who don't know poo poo about politics.

Similar thing in Australia with people voting for the Crazy Fat Billionaire Party (PUP). It's new, it's different and they have no idea.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

Forums Terrorist posted:

I love how the first suggested add on term is "plane crash"

My favourite picture. :allears:

Every time I see a single photo from this set I end up wishing the triptych of before during and after was put up. It is so much funnier. Sadly I'm having trouble finding the 'before' pic where he's grinning like muppet.

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

StarkingBarfish posted:

Every time I see a single photo from this set I end up wishing the triptych of before during and after was put up. It is so much funnier. Sadly I'm having trouble finding the 'before' pic where he's grinning like muppet.

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

That's the one. Thanks!

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Cloud Potato posted:

Yesterday's Independent:

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

I don't think we'll ever hit peak Farage, because it just doesn't stop being funny; just slap his face on something and throw in the obligatory fag/pint and you're sorted. If there isn't a Godzilla Farage by the end of next week I'll be amazed.

:smuggo:

Not much of a boast though, you can bank on just about anything being Farage'd.

Doctor_Fruitbat fucked around with this message at 20:15 on May 28, 2014

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Independent Press Standards Organisation - Steve Bell on the Independent Press Standards Authority, which has come under fire over the appointment of William Newman as a director, responsible for defending the Sun's coverage of the Hillsborough football tragedy"

Telegraph:

Oakeshott quits Lib Dems with Clegg 'disaster' warning; One Direction members appear to smoke 'joint' in video
:rznv:      :ohdear:

Independent:

Scottish independence: Rivals both say Scots 'better off with us'

Times:

Google is to start building its own self-driving cars

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Edward Snowden and John Kerry - Steve Bell on US secretary of state John Kerry's invitation to Edward Snowden to 'man up' and return to the United States" After Tenniel.

Times:

Gove rebuts claims of American author ban

Yesterday's Mail:
"Patients may soon be referred for a weightwatchers course by the NHS."

quote:

“I decide who should or shouldn’t go to WeightWatchers. Tell her to bring her husband in.”

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Lord Rennard, who still denies sexual harassment but has said he is sorry if he inadvertently encroached on four activists' personal space"

Yesterday's Telegraph:

Telegraph:

Yesterday's Independent:

After Chuck Jones.

Independent:

Deal reached on release of 'gist' of Blair-Bush Iraq talks; After Piero della Francesca.

Times:

Stephen Collins:

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
Is that a frothy dick?

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
Be right back trademarking Honest Ricin

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

This is a reference to The Raft of the Medusa - Théodore Géricault.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
drat, I didn't get to point out the Medusa comparison. The one time I get an art reference that Fluo doesn't and someone else beats me to it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Recolour that head on the pint to brown, and you have it more closer to reality.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"

Pesky Splinter posted:

This is a reference to The Raft of the Medusa - Théodore Géricault.

Thanks. I didn't even see the "After Gericault" in the corner.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Supeerme posted:

Is that a frothy dick?

Come on, seriously? BoB's just given Farage a lot of head, that's all

I like how the tories losing 7 seats means a cigarette in Cameron's (full) pint, but Labour gaining 7 and finishing with a higher total gets Ed a half. Haha Sillibland u loser!

Apparently he's done work for the Morning Star too, I can't even imagine

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Observer:

"Salmond's leap - Chris Riddell on the first minister's economic pledges for Scotland"

Sunday Telegraph:

Nigel Farage's middle name is Paul.

Independent on Sunday:

Lord Rennard Lib Dem row 'blown up' - Shirley Williams

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
NO TRIDENT :ohdear:

Taciturn Tactician
Jan 27, 2011

The secret to good health is a balanced diet and unstable healing radiation
Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

NO TRIDENT :ohdear:

"Monarchy" is way funnier. "Independent Scotland still having the monarchy is nothing but a pipedream! :argh:"

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
They're gonna take our Queen!? Oh no, not our freeloading, inbreed, constant reminder that the UK isn't a democracy but a shithole run by idiotic toffs masquerading as a democracy. :ohdear:

Obliterati
Nov 13, 2012

Pain is inevitable.
Suffering is optional.
Thunderdome is forever.
Still incapable of discussing Scotland without putting everyone in kilts. My personal favourite however is BRIGADOOM :scotland:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Martin Rowson's cartoon on the highly secretive and exclusive Bilderberg political conference, this year held at the Marriott hotel in Copenhagen"

Telegraph:

Qatar World Cup: '£3m payments to officials' corruption claim

Independent:

Times:

Express:

Cameron warned UK might quit EU over president - Spiegel

Fluo
May 25, 2007

Cloud Potato posted:

Stephen Collins:

Scanned verison!

Some If... from last couple of weeks:

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on David Cameron and Scotland - David Cameron has warned Scotland that it would have to join the 'back of the EU queue' if it were to vote yes in the upcoming independence vote"

Telegraph:

King Juan Carlos of Spain abdicates

Times:

Mail:
"King Juan Carlos of Spain has announced that he intends to abdicate."

quote:

“Thank you for the brochures, Charles. But you know what you can do with your cosy, 2 bedroomed retirement bungalow in Clacton!”

Express:

stefania_r
Sep 2, 2011

Is that Tony Blair?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Yeah there's gossip going around about Blair wanting, but not getting, the EU presidency. Here the cartoonist humourously depicts the chancy git settling for the recently-vacated throne.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there
Oh god shop the Sheikh of Wales into the last Express one. I'll die.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the European Reassurance Initiative – Responding to the crisis in Ukraine, the US president has given military assurances on the security of eastern European states"

Telegraph:

New German party causes Cameron EU Parliament dilemma

Yesterday's Independent:

Labour plans big rise in NHS spending

Independent:

Syria election: Assad win expected amid civil war

Times:

Express:

Paul Thomas: Pro-Scottish independence?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Are those clouds supposed to form a swastika?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

He's Pro British Empire. He'll want to keep Scotland but as a colony with national resources to exploit.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Cloud Potato posted:

Express:

For the avoidance of doubt, here is a picture of Danny Welbeck:

And here is a picture of Leighton Baines:

e: I just realised that they're supposed to be fans in shirts and not the actual players, but seeing as it's Thomas, you could really go either way

FullLeatherJacket fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 4, 2014

Betjeman
Jul 14, 2004

Biker, Biker, Biker GROOVE!

FullLeatherJacket posted:

For the avoidance of doubt, here is a picture of Danny Welbeck:

And here is a picture of Leighton Baines:

e: I just realised that they're supposed to be fans in shirts and not the actual players, but seeing as it's Thomas, you could really go either way

I think he started with Rooney then thought gently caress it, I'm not going to bother with a GIS search today.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the Queen's speech - The Queen's speech revealed plans to introduce a 5p levy on them in supermarkets"

Telegraph:

May and Gove in row over extremism in schools

Independent:

A Thriller? Or last gasp of a 'zombie' government?

Times:

Express:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Its almost funny because his drawing of Cameron is so bad it could be Clegg.

e: also the cabinet is eating burgers wtf? when did they become plebs?

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

vodkat posted:

e: also the cabinet is eating burgers wtf? when did they become plebs?
Never.

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
Guardian:

"Steve Bell on the government's effort against extremism - David Cameron has ordered an investigation into the row between Theresa May and Michael Gove over the government's strategy on tackling extremism"

Telegraph:

Ukraine crisis: Russia must engage with Kiev, says G7

Independent:

70th anniversary of D-Day.

Times:

David Cameron and Angela Merkel in 'candid' Juncker talks

Express:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax