Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

AxeManiac posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPFpV1J9AWE

If that helps, yes, it is Footloose, unlike family guy it wasn't just a scene for scene remake however, but the emotion is totally there!
Yeah American Dad did it better when Roger was pretending to be Kevin Bacon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'M KEVIN BACON!!!!!!!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

E: nevermind

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Rewatched some episodes today. It occurs to me that Rick probably built the dream device just to impress/annoy Marty because of his love of Inception.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Never underestimate Rick's love of being a dick.

NguyenSinhCung
Jan 17, 2012
This show is amazing. Couple of things I haven't seen anyone else mention.

From Anatomy Park - "Everybody, take a device. It will help you relax."
Seems like Jerry's dad has something to go with his Superman costume.

Cronenberg Rick and Cronenberg Morty at the Council of Ricks.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

I noticed the video camera joke with Jerry's dad and his closet hiding fetish on a rewatch the other week. I really like all the subtle jokes this show has.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'd the adult swim site being weird for anyone else? I keep having trouble watching episodes due to flash plugin problems. But it's the only site with problems.

Anyway, my fiancee is wary about this show. What's a good episode to try and get her to like it? We like a lot of the same stuff, archer being a similar type of show. I'm only 7 episodes in but I was thinking the pilot might work best?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Kingtheninja posted:

I'd the adult swim site being weird for anyone else? I keep having trouble watching episodes due to flash plugin problems. But it's the only site with problems.

Anyway, my fiancee is wary about this show. What's a good episode to try and get her to like it? We like a lot of the same stuff, archer being a similar type of show. I'm only 7 episodes in but I was thinking the pilot might work best?

Meeseeks

I watched the pilot again with some friends and I think they were still on the fence since it still has some :sperg: elements to it. I like Anatomy Park but I think even then people are still getting use to the nihilistic aspects of the show and Rick's callousness still needs to grow on you

just be wary of the Jellybean scene in case she's ummm...sensitive to that sort of thing. But if she can deal with that she can deal with anything the show has to throw at her

Alan Smithee fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 4, 2014

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

Alternatively, the Rick Potion episode is a pretty good crash course on what the entire show is like. Mind you, I think Rick and Morty is all about existential discussions born from ridiculous circumstances.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Before Meseeks the Inception one and the Simulation ones are actually fairly accessible too

Level Slide posted:

Alternatively, the Rick Potion episode is a pretty good crash course on what the entire show is like. Mind you, I think Rick and Morty is all about existential discussions born from ridiculous circumstances.

I feel like you gotta work your way up to that one since so much of it is about throwing out everything that came before

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
I use Rixty Minutes to sell people on the show

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
I wouldn't use Meeseks to introduce someone who's on the fence to the show just because the Jellybean poo poo may dissuade them. Rick Potion #9 is an awesome episode. It got me into the show and it's what I've used to get others into it as well. I also wouldn't use Rixty Minutes just because it has that tie-in with #9.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I feel like that's showing people the main characters of Game of Thrones dying as a first episode and expecting them to care

emgeejay
Dec 8, 2007

achillesforever6 posted:

Yeah American Dad did it better when Roger was pretending to be Kevin Bacon

On a related note, this is Kevin Bacon's Twitter image:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Max22 posted:

I don't get it, it's just Kevin Bacon in a restaurant. Is it from a movie or something?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
oh my... that poo poo is funny.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Level Slide posted:

Yeah, I think Rick Potion #9 could be a good introduction since it starts out with such a rote sitcom premise but then keeps ramping it up to absurdity and ends in existential crisis. I dunno, it might be too much though.

Anatomy Park is probably the most 'normal' episode of the series, and it's a solid episode all around. The only bad thing I could say about it is that it's too normal.

I definitely wouldn't start with the pilot. While it's clever, funny and exceeds expectations for being a pilot, it also comes off as unnecessarily cruel and mean spirited.

Which reminds me, Rick's always talking about how dumb Morty is, and in Close Rick-counters he even says that he's uniquely stupid, but besides his poor performance in school, has there really been any evidence of Morty being especially un-intelligent? I mean he's shown to be somewhat clever on occasion, like when he used the gravity boots to escape the space-airport, but I can't think of many times he's done anything really stupid like Jerry does.

NguyenSinhCung posted:

This show is amazing. Couple of things I haven't seen anyone else mention.

From Anatomy Park
One thing they handled really well on Anatomy Park was not emphasizing the racial aspect of Jacob joining the family. I mean it's kind of implied, but they never point it out as a point of contention, whereas other shows would jump at the opportunity.
(Although Jerry does ask if Jacob is a "friend of the family" but that wouldn't make sense unless the writer was a goon, and really I'm being a huge goon for even thinking that.)

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

Which reminds me, Rick's always talking about how dumb Morty is, and in Close Rick-counters he even says that he's uniquely stupid, but besides his poor performance in school, has there really been any evidence of Morty being especially un-intelligent?

Yeah, he willingly goes on adventures with Rick.

But no, Rick's just making GBS threads on Morty because Rick thinks everyone's dumber than he is, including other Ricks. Morty's naive, but definitely one of the smarter members of the cast.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Sebadoh Gigante posted:

I definitely wouldn't start with the pilot. While it's clever, funny and exceeds expectations for being a pilot, it also comes off as unnecessarily cruel and mean spirited.

The pilot does have the best ending, however.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

Jonas Albrecht posted:

The pilot does have the best ending, however.

Nah, best ending is "Rixty Minutes" with the photo-montage of the visit to Hamsters-in-Butts world.

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Max22 posted:

That is amazing. Kevin Bacon is a cool dude, no doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_H0JzDWQpH8

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Don't forget Anatomy Park also has Summer's boyfriend describing being raped. My favorite one to use to introduce folks, and used to introduce my parents, was the alien scammers one. My dad loves this show now, which is great since there hadn't been any new Venture Bros for us to talk about for a while.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Level Slide posted:

scary ghost dog posted:

I use Rixty Minutes to sell people on the show

I do Love Potion #9 then go into Rixty Minutes. You kinda need the LP#9 ending for Rixty to make full sense plus it's an amazing episode because it takes everyone by surprise (especially if you don't know how extreme the show can go). The Gazorpazorpfield gag isn't quuuuuite as good without watching Raising Gazorpazorp, but those 2 episodes just flow into each other nicely (while being completely different) that it works.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Pick posted:

Don't forget Anatomy Park also has Summer's boyfriend describing being raped. My favorite one to use to introduce folks, and used to introduce my parents, was the alien scammers one. My dad loves this show now, which is great since there hadn't been any new Venture Bros for us to talk about for a while.

Puffy Vagina.

shinymodem
May 21, 2007
Oh hey look its a rushed licensed adventure game, I guess this counts as Morty's one out of ten adventure, since you play as him the whole time. It's actually pretty funny so far.

http://games.adultswim.com/rick-and-mortys-rushed-licensed-adventure-adventure-online-game.html

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

shinymodem posted:

Oh hey look its a rushed licensed adventure game, I guess this counts as Morty's one out of ten adventure, since you play as him the whole time. It's actually pretty funny so far.

http://games.adultswim.com/rick-and-mortys-rushed-licensed-adventure-adventure-online-game.html

You get to play as Rick in the later installments.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)
For what it's worth I started with the first episode and didn't really like it, but my friend was like "no no it's so good you gotta keep watching" so I watched the second episode and from there I was hooked. So maybe just start with the second episode.

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
Lawnmowerdog is the best episode.

JayMax
Jun 14, 2007

Hard-nosed gentleman
I was on board right from the pilot. The show got better, but I don't really get why you wouldn't just start there.

Talorat
Sep 18, 2007

Hahaha! Aw come on, I can't tell you everything right away! That would make for a boring story, don't you think?
I really really liked the pilot but if I am not mistaken my friend started me with Rick Potion Number 9 so I dunno.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Anatomy Park, Zygerians, or Lawnmower Dog seem like pretty safe bets for an intro episode. They're good at showing the tone of the series but are fairly stand-alone (unlike Rixty and Potion) and aren't quite as intense as Meeseeks.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Friend kept bugging me to watch it so I did. Now I'm bugging my friends to watch it. g/f is very resistant, but she's going to run out of the backlog of Agents of Shield soon, and then I'll have her.

Pretty much all the episodes were good, but it was a sort of A+, A, A-, and B+ sort of ranking system with Raising Gazorpazorp and Ricksy Business at the bottom (although still good).

I keep noticing new things. Like I thought people were stealing from Ants in my eyes Johnson, but then I later noticed "FREE" signs on almost everything in there. So goddamn brilliant.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
There was also (I think) a game of thrones channel where Tyrion was the normal one and everyone else was short.
I might start off with lawnmower dogs, but I'm not sure. Meeseeks was hilarious, but that jelly bean stuff was almost too much. Although the way rick handled it was pretty great.

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.

Pick posted:

I'm just going to chime in to say that the alien scammers one was also the first one I saw, and it also sold me immediately.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Parasol Prophet posted:

I'm just going to chime in to say that the alien scammers one was also the first one I saw, and it also sold me immediately.

It's a pretty good episode.

"Sir, we uh, have a situation over here."

"If there's a wiener on that monitor I swear to god..."

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
My preference is to explain that the pilot is basically an episode-long test reel and to then watch by production number.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I was sold on the pilot too but Rick still takes some getting used to

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I'm so cool, I was sold on everything during the first episode.

BITCHES!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pander posted:

Friend kept bugging me to watch it so I did. Now I'm bugging my friends to watch it. g/f is very resistant, but she's going to run out of the backlog of Agents of Shield soon, and then I'll have her.

Pretty much all the episodes were good, but it was a sort of A+, A, A-, and B+ sort of ranking system with Raising Gazorpazorp and Ricksy Business at the bottom (although still good).

I keep noticing new things. Like I thought people were stealing from Ants in my eyes Johnson, but then I later noticed "FREE" signs on almost everything in there. So goddamn brilliant.

I rate raising Gazorpazorp, but i think Zardoz (ref) is one of the best/worst movies ever made.

my brother even has this as his facebook picture.

• Locked thread