Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
The patch gave a bunch of stuff lightning resistance. In particular, lizards! :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
^^ Dark arrows are the way to go to dispatch crystal lizards in my experience. Unless you're talking about the lizard men in Amana then, welp.

More people should be rockin' the Steel Set or at least the chest piece. Chest + Varangrian Helm is truly menacing.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I'd rather deal with the hex, to be honest. If you're a melee character though you don't exactly have a choice, he'll use the sword when you get in close.

I could consistently dodge the sword on reflex without ever loving it up, whereas a hex orb or a laser I was in a bad position to avoid would require a little more careful timing or actual consideration. It's always kind of weird how two different people will get tripped up by totally different things in these games.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Hra Mormo posted:

The patch gave a bunch of stuff lightning resistance. In particular, lizards! :argh:

What

What

Uncontested Miracle supremacy in PvE noooooooooo!

Whix
Oct 2, 2008

IT GOES BOOM!
What's the general consensus for going into NG+, how's the summoning and pvp, is it empty ?

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Whix posted:

What's the general consensus for going into NG+, how's the summoning and pvp, is it empty ?
No, NG+ and up is grouped up altogether, just keep leveling up and you should find signs easily.

Ash Rose
Sep 3, 2011

Where is Megaman?

In queer, with us!
I was small soapstoning and I found a pretty good fashion souls.

Koala Cola
Dec 21, 2005

I am the stone that the builder refused...

Tykero posted:

Goodbye spiced down Profound Still. You only last like five seconds now. I will miss you deeply, if only for the joy of seeing enemy casters wiggle their implements at me in confusion repeatedly.

Did they nerf spices?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Apparition posted:

Did they nerf spices?

Duration of spells now scales with your stats. You can still spice down like before but for things with a duration they will last a much shorter amount of time.

I guess you could say they nerfed them.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

scamtank posted:

The spearmen are piles and piles of bullshit, though. YOU ARE SWINGING THAT SHIELD ABOVE YOUR HEAD IT DOES NOT PROTECT YOU NOW

The best part is when you try to guard break them and accidentally just do a regular attack and get a face full of spear.

El Golden Goose
Jul 23, 2007
Does anyone have any good recommendations for spears? I've been messing around with the Partizan in PVP and the sweep attacks are actually real nice-like, wondering if anyone else found a good spear they liked. Seems like overall they get pretty ho-hum movesets and damage, but maybe someone's had a really good experience with one of them?

Chip McFuck
Jul 24, 2007

We droppin' like a comet and this Vulcan tried to Spock it/These Martians tried to do it, but knew they couldn't cop it

Man, the Royal Rat Authority is a huge pain in my rear end. I can never kill the smaller rats quick enough so I usually end up getting stun locked, toxic, and then head butted by Rat-Sif. Any advice for a sword and board guy trying to beat this boss?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Side Effects posted:

Man, the Royal Rat Authority is a huge pain in my rear end. I can never kill the smaller rats quick enough so I usually end up getting stun locked, toxic, and then head butted by Rat-Sif. Any advice for a sword and board guy trying to beat this boss?

I had a completely different build, but the most useful thing I was told was to spend less time locked on and just try and run around and under the back legs more.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy

Side Effects posted:

Slip on a Southern Ritual Band, use Heavenly Thunder, Chaos Storm, maybe those fire land mines, in the hopes that they will group up and let themselves get annihilated. Really once the smallies are dead the boss is insanely easy for a sword and board since you can sit there behind your shield until you can easily predict the headbutt and roll through it. Once you're underneath him he's even more easy to cheese.

El Golden Goose posted:

Does anyone have any good recommendations for spears? I've been messing around with the Partizan in PVP and the sweep attacks are actually real nice-like, wondering if anyone else found a good spear they liked. Seems like overall they get pretty ho-hum movesets and damage, but maybe someone's had a really good experience with one of them?

I think the only really noteworthy spears would be the Channeler's Tridents. It didn't really occur to me that they were spears, but there you go.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

El Golden Goose posted:

Silverblack Spear has the same moveset as the Partizan. Get 30 Fth/Int, make it Dark and buff it with Dark Weapon, and it gets pretty good damage. Only other spear worth mentioning is Pate's Spear since it has a mix of spear and lance moves (I think some other spears may share its moveset, can't remember what ones tho).

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Side Effects posted:

The general idea is to aggro the small rats, walk backwards so they get grouped up, and then kill them all in one swing. If your weapon doesn't swing wide enough to hit most or all of them at once you might need to switch to something different, and if you're not doing enough damage to kill them in one hit you should just leave for now and come back when you're more powerful.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Tykero posted:

I spiced it down to 28 Faith. I'm way above its int requirement (51 Int), but way below its faith requirement (28 Faith). I guess they don't cancel eachother out.

Related: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjP4jPdUwp8
Man, that's lame. It seems like spices are now only useful to shave the really expensive spells down to 50.

Has anyone figured out what the changes to thrusting swords were?

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

El Golden Goose posted:

All the spears pretty much feel the same: they're either poke-only or have a few slashes. Pate's has some lance-style moves as someone else said but other than that...

I'm a fan of the winged spear, though. It's not really that great but I've always loved it for its reach even though I rarely get to make use of it.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
I'm not entirely sure exactly what I did, but when I fought Darklurker and he started doing his split move (which I didn't even realize that was what he was doing), I just threw a Sunlight Spear at him and it killed him instantly from 30% health or whatever he was at. He seems to be really weak to lightning.

That's also probably the sole reason why I don't hate the Dark Darkness of the Dark, since I never had to deal with the bullshit of murdering the same stupid tanky phantoms over and over. Try attuning Force for an easier time pushing them off the ledges.

Hyper Crab Tank fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jun 4, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Darklurker is extraordinarily weak to lightning. I fought him as a caster in my first run and he died to like seven Great Lightning Spears. A little less, maybe. He split and then immediately died before getting the chance to do anything with it. Keep in mind that Sunlight Spear does around 300 more damage than GLS on average.

Opposing Farce posted:

I could consistently dodge the sword on reflex without ever loving it up, whereas a hex orb or a laser I was in a bad position to avoid would require a little more careful timing or actual consideration. It's always kind of weird how two different people will get tripped up by totally different things in these games.

Yeah, our playstyles were just different I suppose. I actually decided to fight him with miracles because I had a much easier time dodging his spells than I did the sword. Then I hit him with the first Lightning Spear and realized I had made a terrible mistake trying anything else.

burntpork
Jan 25, 2010
Pate's Spear also has the longest reach of all the spears. With a 40/40 build you can power stance Pate's Spear and a lance in the off hand and poke from a safe distance.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man

Opposing Farce posted:

The general idea is to aggro the small rats, walk backwards so they get grouped up, and then kill them all in one swing. If your weapon doesn't swing wide enough to hit most or all of them at once you might need to switch to something different, and if you're not doing enough damage to kill them in one hit you should just leave for now and come back when you're more powerful.

Pretty much this, there is no defending against those rats. The only solution is to wade in and hope they're dead by the time your tank is dry. No need to kill them in one though, any straight sword should both interrupt their attack and finish them off with the second slash. You just have to do it a couple times to get the rats to line up nicely and not, for example, have one run off to take a poo poo and then torpedo straight up your pooper when you're trying to chop Rif's paws off.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
Just be aware that certain weapons (katanas :argh:) have a tendency to swing at an awkward angle and miss small enemies, like rats and crystal lizards. Try your swing out on some of the normal rats to make sure you can actually kill them reliably.

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.

Paracelsus posted:

I think they might be a little slower. I haven't had a chance to fully test it, but I just started using Ricard's Rapier (which I never really used pre patch) and it feels like it should be faster? I dunno.

Stranger Danger Ranger fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 4, 2014

Stranger Danger Ranger
Jul 21, 2007
There are lizards coming out of my tv.
quote not edit!

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

I just used a bow and 1-shot all the rats before the boss dropped down. :v:

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

It seems like the 2h R2 combo goes 'shield pierce -> normal -> shield pierce -> normal' now, instead of just shield piercing attacks.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"

axelsoar posted:

I was small soapstoning and I found a pretty good fashion souls.

Are those upward pointing horns on that helmet? I thought the only horns were the Varangian ones and they point down. What helmet has upward pointing horns?

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

Are those upward pointing horns on that helmet? I thought the only horns were the Varangian ones and they point down. What helmet has upward pointing horns?

Gyrm helm.

blakyoshi
Feb 17, 2011

Jaaam posted:

I think they might be a little slower. I haven't had a chance to fully test it, but I just started using Ricard's Rapier (which I never really used pre patch) and it feels like it should be faster? I dunno.

I recently (before the patch) got a Dex/Int build to the requirements for Ricard's, and it is a bit slower than the normal rapier. I think that's just part of the weapon.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Is there an indication of Engraved Gauntlet's ability activating? Like some fancy hit effect?

Or is it just "suddenly, more damage!"

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Tallgeese posted:

Is there an indication of Engraved Gauntlet's ability activating? Like some fancy hit effect?

Or is it just "suddenly, more damage!"

There's a sound.

Pretty sure someone shanked me with it today.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Speaking of sounds, is there some significance to the various sounds you get when attacking? They seem to follow no rhyme or reason, I might attack some hollow and get this really sloppy splurting sound, then on the next one I get either this weird piff piff or whump whump. Nothing that I could tell changed. I didn't change weapons, the enemies are similar, I'm using the same attacks.. Just for some reason the sound of STEEL MEETING BONE seems to have changed on a lark.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FlyinPingu posted:

I just used a bow and 1-shot all the rats before the boss dropped down. :v:

This. Group them together and use the triple shot crossbow for easy boss killing.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
I went ahead and did that rat boss again on NG+ and found that hey, swing a Claymore around a couple times while the toxic dudes all run in at you and they all get murdered pretty easily.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

So I "finished" the game on NG. I didnt do Vendrick or the Dragon. Should I do those, or go straight to NG+?

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Vendrick gives you an achievement and equipment if you're so inclined. Dragon is the most tedious boss fight of the series and gives you nothing, so avoid it. But really, I think you can safely jump into NG+ if that's your preference.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Vendrick gives you an achievement and equipment if you're so inclined. Dragon is the most tedious boss fight of the series and gives you nothing, so avoid it. But really, I think you can safely jump into NG+ if that's your preference.

Dragon does give you something that makes the Vendrick fight less tedious. Funny how that is.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

argondamn posted:

Dragon does give you something that makes the Vendrick fight less tedious. Funny how that is.

Something that you can get with an ascetic, if you absolutely feel the need for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Just be aware that certain weapons (katanas :argh:) have a tendency to swing at an awkward angle and miss small enemies, like rats and crystal lizards. Try your swing out on some of the normal rats to make sure you can actually kill them reliably.

Stop using katanas. Seriously. Greatswords are so much faster in this game that they swing at basically the same speed, have better animations across the board, and hit way harder. If you want to Dex one, use the Mirrah Greatsword or the Arced Sword.

Unrelated, but I leveled up a Great Club and am digging it, but holy poo poo its durability is awful. You invariably will clip through corpses for multiple hits so you can't ever consistently use it for an entire area, because it'll break.

How could FROM gently caress this up so badly compared to DS1? What was wrong with the old durability system from Demon's and Dark 1? :wtc: