Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

He's one of the few pitchers whose pitchface makes him look less derpy than his normal face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

NOOOOOOOO i was gonna pick Crawford last round, but needed a centerfielder! God damnit. Lovely pick.

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

Time to join a revolution son, its going to be yooge!

mynameisjohn posted:

NOOOOOOOO i was gonna pick Crawford last round, but needed a centerfielder! God damnit. Lovely pick.

Thanks, ironically the plan after my previous pick had been to get Cain.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
For what it's worth w/r/t Castellanos I was absolutely going to pick him up if he fell to me.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
Castellanos isn't a bad pick considering there are like zero 3rd baseman left.

He's definitely better than Youkilis and Chisenhall.

Laderhan fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jun 3, 2014

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...
I am both sorry and utterly not sorry about the gif I used for my last pick.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
Tim Hudson was taken with pick 176.

Screen Door Slams
Jan 27, 2014

Michael Pineda just couldn't stay healthy...

Mornacale posted:

Tim Hudson was taken with pick 176.

Aw godDAMMIT. Fixed.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Screen Door Slams posted:

Aw godDAMMIT. Fixed.

That pick was so good that I had to double-check how it could be possible. :v:

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe
I'll have you chuckleheads know that I got to see Brian "Chris" Dozier play live last night, and dude was ON, much to the detriment of my beloved Crew. Here's hoping Ootpee matches reality.

How good was he? So good that a Brewers fan fell about 20 feet into the Brewers bullpen.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Felix Dubront somehow outdoing 50 Cent

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

cleveland had been on the clock for about 30 minutes, hooray cleveland!

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Reminder that even though Milwaukee picked just now, Cleveland's clock started around 3:15 central so they've got less than an hour before being skipped themselves.

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013
drat, no one's picked a while.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

At the twins game so I can't check the doc but whomever is after Cleveland is skipped in about 30 minutes

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

IcePhoenix posted:

At the twins game so I can't check the doc but whomever is after Cleveland is skipped in about 30 minutes

Boston, then Tampa can pick two.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

I'm awake. Give me a few minutes

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

Zythrst posted:

Boston, then Tampa can pick two.

This reminds me, what are the rules for back-to-back picks w/r/t the pick clock? Are they counted as one or do I essentially get double the time? (Not that I would game the system or anything but it would be nice to know)

e: vv oops I missed that thanks

Monicro fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Jun 5, 2014

Laderhan
Oct 2, 2013

Monicro posted:

This reminds me, what are the rules for back-to-back picks w/r/t the pick clock? Are they counted as one or do I essentially get double the time? (Not that I would game the system or anything but it would be nice to know)

From the draft thread OP:

IcePhoenix posted:

3a: If you have consecutive picks, you do not get a full timer for each pick, the timer is for all of your picks.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Man I forgot how lovely you guys are at this end of the draft.

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

IcePhoenix posted:

For what its worth my picks take like an hour because i put way too much thought into them :v:

e: also what do you guys think of my last picks cause i cant shake the feeling that i hosed up bad

Monicro fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 5, 2014

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

What do you mean "this end"? We're not even halfway through!

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Mr. Cool rear end posted:

What do you mean "this end"? We're not even halfway through!

He means this end of the draft order is a bunch of slow pickers.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mornacale posted:

He means this end of the draft order is a bunch of slow pickers.

If they pick at all.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I keep wanting to put myself down to sub in but then I remember it would require actually going through and compiling a ranked list of every MLB utility player and then I don't do that.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Why would you do that? Pick with your heart not your head.

Also I'm autoing cleveland's round 11 pick because he gets skipped a lot, and his round 12 is skipped because he has an outstanding skip, so Milwaukee is up.

e: actually I think I'm going to open up the team to an alternate if Popete doesn't respond by tomorrow afternoonish.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 5, 2014

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Sexual Lorax posted:

I'll have you chuckleheads know that I got to see Brian "Chris" Dozier play live last night, and dude was ON, much to the detriment of my beloved Crew. Here's hoping Ootpee matches reality.

How good was he? So good that a Brewers fan fell about 20 feet into the Brewers bullpen.

He also signed my ticket stub after the game.

I honestly don't think Dozier is a bad 2B. In fact he's been one of the best defensive 2B in the AL over the past year, and he gets on base a ton. Fifth round was maybe a bit early on him, but I was honestly looking at nabbing him at the end of the 6th or early 7th.

I must be weird in that the later rounds are more interesting to me than the early ones. Half of the fun is learning about a bunch of players I hadn't heard of, and the other is the game of chicken we all play to see just how long we can hold off on nabbing that sleeper.

Infidel Castro fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Jun 5, 2014

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Infidel Castro posted:

He also signed my ticket stub after the game.

I honestly don't think Dozier is a bad 2B. In fact he's been one of the best defensive 2B in the AL over the past year, and he gets on base a ton. Fifth round was maybe a bit early on him, but I was honestly looking at nabbing him at the end of the 6th or early 7th.

I must be weird in that the later rounds are more interesting to me than the early ones. Half of the fun is learning about a bunch of players I hadn't heard of, and the other is the game of chicken we all play to see just how long we can hold off on nabbing that sleeper.

Just to be clear, this is the first season he's had an acceptable OBP. I think many people are expecting he'll fall off a bit eventually. It's fun that he's doing this, though, and baseball would be terrible if we could predict what was going to happen all of the time.

Just for example, Hanley Ramirez would be one of the first players chosen if we did this draft 5 years ago. Then there was a period of ~3 seasons where he wouldn't have cracked the 2nd round. Now he's clearly a first rounder again. Who knows, maybe Dozier will get picked even higher if we do this again next year.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Real quick - how bad are positional adjustments if I were to say... switch a 3rd basemen to 2nd?

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

seiferguy posted:

Real quick - how bad are positional adjustments if I were to say... switch a 3rd basemen to 2nd?

In real life? If a guy had the arm to play third and the range to play 2nd then he would probably already be a shortstop. So probably poorly.

In video game land? Probably poorly, probably thinks that guy turns into a sniveling baby when put on 2nd, though someone with more experience with OotP can answer this better than I.

Sexual Lorax
Mar 17, 2004

HERE'S TO FUCKING

Fun Shoe

tadashi posted:

Who knows, maybe Dozier will get picked even higher if we do this again next year.

drat right he will, because DETROIT MEOW CITY will take him with their first pick. :getin:

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

seiferguy posted:

Depends on who it is. In OOTP land if someone is great defensively at one infield position, they can learn the new position over the course of a season (it might not be pretty though). It all depends on their stats - range, arm, errors, etc. Since this is only a one season sim, I wouldn't recommend it unless doing career play.

However, depending on what player it is, they might already have aptitude at that position.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Harlock posted:

Depends on who it is. In OOTP land if someone is great defensively at one infield position, they can learn the new position over the course of a season (it might not be pretty though). It all depends on their stats - range, arm, errors, etc. Since this is only a one season sim, I wouldn't recommend it unless doing career play.

However, depending on what player it is, they might already have aptitude at that position.

Thanks. The people I were looking at had no experience playing 2nd base. I had 3 people in mind for 2nd but I think Weeks is probably the safest. No idea how OOTP will project him with his last two seasons being a down year.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

If they have any experience at all at the position in recent years, they would be ok. Kyle Seager, for example, would be fine to play the position.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I think I offered to nerd it up on this earlier but they were happy with the short answer, but I'm going to do it now because this has come up a few times. For a tl;dr on converting a 3B to 2B skip to the bottom.

A player's rating at a position comes from a combination of various indiviual ratings. Every player has ratings (note: sometimes these ratings are just zero) at the following

Catcher Error
Catcher Arm

Infield Range
Infield Error
Infield Arm
Turn DP

Outfield Range
Outfield Error
Outfield Arm

They also have "experience" ratings at a position. These are hidden but if you go into the editor you can see them. So when the game says a player like Coco Crisp has a 75 rating at CF on the 20-80 scale (I can't remember if this is accurate but it's high), that's because he has a very high range, a very high error (in this case a high number means less errors), and a very high experience rating, but he's dinged a little bit because his arm is poor.

It's also worth noting that there are actually quite a few players who have experience at multiple positions but it just doesn't list them with a defenive rating there because the other factors that determine the rating at that position mean that he's SO BAD that he's not even worth a 20 on the scale. There's also players who have no rating at a position because they have zero experience, but once they get any at all their rating is suddenly in the 50s.

So in the case of converting a 3B to a 2B, a lot of 3B don't have good IF Range or Turn DP, which means that if you try to convert them to 2B it will be a disaster, because even with a full season of experience they still might not even register a 2B rating.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Brett Lawrie, for example, in the past had a lot of range, good error rating, a good arm but terrible Turn DP rating. Turn DP is basically a way for OOTP to allow someone to be a very good 3rd baseman but prevent them from being any good at middle infield. They're pretty good about their research, though, so players with experience at a position can still play there even if they aren't any good at it (Mike Napoli at catcher, for example).

Zythrst
May 31, 2011

So as long as we're asking questions. Is there fatigue in this game for possition players and if so how does it work?

Prozach
Oct 30, 2013

When God invented Lycra, he was thinking about Divas matches.
Also how do outfield conversions work? I'd imagine someone who played corner outfield all his life would struggle if switched to CF, but is the downgrade in switching between LF/RF negligible?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Prozach posted:

Also how do outfield conversions work? I'd imagine someone who played corner outfield all his life would struggle if switched to CF, but is the downgrade in switching between LF/RF negligible?

Experience means a lot more than you think but otherwise yeah, more or less. My "instant 50s" comment was probably not very accurate, it would take half a season or so, at least, to reach that point probably.

I'm only going off of the experience of doing things like this in my single player franchises so I don't have a wealth of in depth knowledge aside from what I already posted. I know the theories but I haven't done them in practice for the most part.

I can tell you though that Giancarlo Stnton makes a terrible catcher (Miami did this for some reason in 2017 in my Twins game and I still can't figure out why).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Zythrst posted:

So as long as we're asking questions. Is there fatigue in this game for possition players and if so how does it work?

IcePhoenix said it's turned on. OOTP by default makes your backup players start if the starter is fatigued beyond a certain level so it's not something we should have to be very conscious of.

• Locked thread