Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

CyberLord XP posted:

Well, out with it...

I think his point was that GW giving out a free sample was the crazy bit, not the kit itself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

S.J. posted:

Holy poo poo you guys. Games Workshop sent us a preview Gorka/Morkanaut box to open and show to people.

They haven't done anything like this in years. I'm a little shocked.
Can you take a picture of all the different crew member heads they said they included in the kit?

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

S.J. posted:

Holy poo poo you guys. Games Workshop sent us a preview Gorka/Morkanaut box to open and show to people.

My friends and I have been casually arguing about this: What size is the base? Is it a Flyer Oval or an Imperial Knight Superheavy Oval? Also (whenever it actually gets built) how tall does it stand compared to other large models like Dreadknights/Riptides/FHTs/Etc?

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 4, 2014

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

The one simple trick I found for superior arms to body connecting with metal to plastic or really any combination is to drill a shallow dimple into the arm and apply the glue into the dimple before placing it on the shoulder.

I feel that flat on flat is too easy to sheer off.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Jun 4, 2014

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Arven posted:

As a guard player returning to the game after 4 years, I have to ask- is there any reason that I shouldn't be giving a bolter to every sarge in my army? And just to be clear, can he keep his chainsword despite taking the Bolter (the rules don't clearly specify)?

Also since no guard units can infiltrate anymore and only stormtroopers can deep strike, Valkyries are kind of necessary if you want to take objects before the enemy I assume?
It's only 1 point but I can probably think of a better way to spend 10 points in an IG army. It just says "he may tike items from the ranged weapons list" and nothing about replacing anything.

Chance II posted:

I miss the ease of conversion but I really love not having to glue arms onto sixty dudes for my Steel legion guys. Plastic is great for kill team where I want each model to be super unique but when it comes to massed infantry, there is a sweet spot around 3rd edition were GW put out some nicely detailed metals.
All of the metal IG are great models; the only ones that haven't aged well are a few of the officers like Al'Rahem who have really goofy 2nd ed poses. Those are some of the Perry bros' best works, and I absolutely adore them. I kind of want to get some Tallarn and paint them like Genestealer cult, but I've got enough metal Cadians to work through first.

LingcodKilla posted:

The one simple trick I found for superior arms to body connecting with metal to plastic or really any combination is to drill a shallow dimple into the arm and apply the glue into the dimple before placing it on the shoulder.
I use my knife to score every point where plastic and metal connect. It gets a stronger bond that way.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SRM posted:

It's only 1 point but I can probably think of a better way to spend 10 points in an IG army. It just says "he may tike items from the ranged weapons list" and nothing about replacing anything.

All of the metal IG are great models; the only ones that haven't aged well are a few of the officers like Al'Rahem who have really goofy 2nd ed poses. Those are some of the Perry bros' best works, and I absolutely adore them. I kind of want to get some Tallarn and paint them like Genestealer cult, but I've got enough metal Cadians to work through first.

I use my knife to score every point where plastic and metal connect. It gets a stronger bond that way.

If you ever want to do your cadians for some tallarans send me a pm.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.

SRM posted:

I have an all-metal foot horde IG army and a Space Marine army made up of metal models with plastic arms and back packs. I haven't built a modern plastic GW model since August. Come the gently caress at me plastic bros.

This, forever.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Painted up a metal mini:

Last of the Obliterators for now. I can never justify more than two, as there's just so many other awesome things to field.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

The Sex Cannon posted:

This, forever.

I kind of can't stand that metal space marines are like 10% shorter than the plastic ones

PierreTheMime posted:

Painted up a metal mini:

Last of the Obliterators for now. I can never justify more than two, as there's just so many other awesome things to field.

That looks rad as gently caress. I have some of the metal oblits. Those things weigh a goddamn ton.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

I would love to take pictures for you guys but my camera phone is literally from like 1976 or something. Also I'm not at work at the moment but I can look over everything tomorrow for you guys if pics/etc aren't already online from other places by that point.

Direwolf posted:

I think his point was that GW giving out a free sample was the crazy bit, not the kit itself.

Yeah, this. They used to give us 'black boxes' which had preview sprues of a lot of the new stuff they'd be coming out with before a release, as well as some times a free copy of the codex for the store. But that's been quite some time since they've done that.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
Any clues on what's in the next White Dwarf?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Cadians rock
I love my boys

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

CyberLord XP posted:

Any clues on what's in the next White Dwarf?

If you're talking about the one with the Flash Gitz, there's some random deployment using a deck of playing cards nonsense. Nothing else really stood out for me. Oh and a couple pages describing a punch of Gork/Morkanauts and Knights punching each other, but who the gently caress cares.

As far as the issue after that, no idea at all.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

God drat waiting for a codex drop gives the gaming blue balls like nothing else. I bought the Gorkanaut White Dwarf and won't ever be doing that again.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

LingcodKilla posted:

Cadians rock
I love my boys

I love that paunchy officer, but cutting off his cool shotgun is a crime.

Power Player
Oct 2, 2006

GOD SPEED YOU! HUNGRY MEXICAN

CyberLord XP posted:

God drat waiting for a codex drop gives the gaming blue balls like nothing else. I bought the Gorkanaut White Dwarf and won't ever be doing that again.
Same. I have a wedding on the 14th as well so that means unless I plan an out-of-the way trip I won't be able to read it and then complain/rave about it online until the 15th.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Power Player posted:

Same. I have a wedding on the 14th as well so that means unless I plan an out-of-the way trip I won't be able to read it and then complain/rave about it online until the 15th.

Gonna be out of town as well for Fathersday stuff.

:orks::hf::orks:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

SRM posted:

I love that paunchy officer, but cutting off his cool shotgun is a crime.

Yeah I kept looking for that option in the last codex but nooooope. So I just cut it off and made him no-option Wizzywig.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

S.J. posted:

Who is 'us' and why are GW sending you free stuff?

A BIG FUCKING BLUNT
Nov 10, 2007

stores often get an early box to show off in their store display cases. Our store got a Blaneblade to play around with roughly a week or so before they were actually released

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
My Blood Angels battled my friend's Tau force last night in an 850 point game (6th edition). It was fun, although I was utterly destroyed. Looking back on the game, it was mostly due to my incompetence as a general. We rolled for the mission and got "The Relic". My main mistake was pursuing combat instead of going for the objective. Second mistake was learning which units have Supporting Fire during an attempted charge, causing that Assault Squad to eat about 45 Overwatch shots. Lastly, my force was made of units I wanted to mess around with, whereas he's been researching Blood Angels to find out what weapons/units to bring.

Needless to say, I need to step my game up. Our next game will be 1250 points.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"
Army list chat, because why the hell not.

1500 points of Guard with Grey Knights best buddies.

code:
Aegis Line

Company Command Squad
	Vox
	Medic
	Autocannon
	Master of Ordnance
	Astropath

Chimera w/ Camo Netting

Platoon Command Squad
	Heavy Flamer
	3 Flamers

Valkyrie

3 Combined Squads
	3 x power weapons
	3 x Autocannons
	2 x Flamers
	Vox

Commissar

2 Combined Squads
	2 x Lascannon
	2 x Sniper rifles
	Vox

Primaris Psyker

30 Conscripts
Priest

Veteran Squad
	2 x Plasma guns
	1 x Lascannon
	Vox

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor
	Terminator Armor
	Psycannon
	Hammer
	3 x Servo Skulls
	Mastery Level 1

5 Grey Knight Terminators
	Psycannon
	1 Hammer
	Justicar w/Master Crafted sword (Because I had 5 spare points)

Basic plan is that the Veterans and the 20 man squad stay at home with the command Chimera, while the 30 man squad and the conscripts go make trouble. The Platoon Command can drop out when they arrive to clear out and claim an objective, and the Knights can be pointed at whichever looks scariest.

This is mostly going by what models I have available, but I also have some support vehicles that I'm not using just because I want to try using ALL THE MEN.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
Pin every metal bit.

I pin the plastic arms to my Stormboyz because I dropped a few and watched them explode. Luckily for me there were not painted. Never again!

I love to convert so metal sucks for me. Too much time filling and messing about with too much pressure and sharp knives. Metal is good to teach you how not to handle sharp instruments when converting though. I have bits of me that will never grow back thanks to pewter.

Just get a 1mm drill and some paperclips. poo poo, I don't need glue for some of my models (yet).

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

Raphus C posted:

Pin every metal bit.

I pin the plastic arms to my Stormboyz because I dropped a few and watched them explode. Luckily for me there were not painted. Never again!

I love to convert so metal sucks for me. Too much time filling and messing about with too much pressure and sharp knives. Metal is good to teach you how not to handle sharp instruments when converting though. I have bits of me that will never grow back thanks to pewter.

Just get a 1mm drill and some paperclips. poo poo, I don't need glue for some of my models (yet).

I'm working on a conversion in metal for a centerpiece type unit in my Wood Elves army. A flying metal model, no less. So lots of drilling, lots of pinning, and clamping joints together so that they can be bonded with JB Weld (to survive any falls that the model will likely encounter.)

Working with the metal just feels cooler and more permanent than plastic bits. Maybe it's because I grew up with metal models, but I definitely perceive them as the "better" models. I think that starting WHFB with the Battle Masters game (collaboration between Games Workshop and Milton Bradley) and then progressing to actual metal warhams is a contributing factor there.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Battle Masters rules. I've had designs to paint the set at my parents' place for years, but I'll probably never ever get to it.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Yeah I pinned this squad. And magnetized the guns. With a hand drill.

Sturdy as gently caress though. Already been tipped over a few times.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

SRM posted:

Battle Masters rules. I've had designs to paint the set at my parents' place for years, but I'll probably never ever get to it.

I've combined the Empire portion of my old set and part of a friend's old set that he gave me. Together it actually makes a very basic but solid 1500 point WHFB Empire force to use as the House/Loaner army for our game nights.

But, yeah. I have some serious nostalgia about that game, but the models are far from the best offerings of the time. It got me into the hobby, though, along with the free trial White Dwarf subscription that came with the game. The difference between the first metal Elf models I bought at the game store and the plastic Battle Masters models were night and day.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Squifferific posted:

Army list chat, because why the hell not.

1500 points of Guard with Grey Knights best buddies.

code:

Guard Army

Basic plan is that the Veterans and the 20 man squad stay at home with the command Chimera, while the 30 man squad and the conscripts go make trouble. The Platoon Command can drop out when they arrive to clear out and claim an objective, and the Knights can be pointed at whichever looks scariest.

This is mostly going by what models I have available, but I also have some support vehicles that I'm not using just because I want to try using ALL THE MEN.

I'd consider scaring up the 20 points (drop that Master-craft to start) and buying an Officer of the Fleet. That way you can Deep Strike the GKs in with much better chances that they'll show on Turn Two. Which, in turn, will make it more likely the Knights will actually accomplish something because Termies walking across the board at something usually eat plasma and lascannons (or filthy xeno equivalents). Deep Striking in will usually get you a round of fire at something squishy and often a chance to get into melee a turn later.

He's also nice for screwing up your opponent's Reserve rolls if he's got a Reserve heavy army.

Squifferific
Oct 17, 2004
Proud user of machines that go "Ping!"

jng2058 posted:

I'd consider scaring up the 20 points (drop that Master-craft to start) and buying an Officer of the Fleet. That way you can Deep Strike the GKs in with much better chances that they'll show on Turn Two. Which, in turn, will make it more likely the Knights will actually accomplish something because Termies walking across the board at something usually eat plasma and lascannons (or filthy xeno equivalents). Deep Striking in will usually get you a round of fire at something squishy and often a chance to get into melee a turn later.

He's also nice for screwing up your opponent's Reserve rolls if he's got a Reserve heavy army.

Good idea, thanks.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

SRM posted:

There's even articles about how many Warhams models could easily be substituted for the originals.

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe
Battle masters was my gateway into the hobby. I even painted the whole set with terrible testors oil based paints.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ok, am I missing something or did they remove the Rending effect from Sniper weapons in the new book? I can't find mention of it.

Were snipers so overpowered that they needed this nerf, or did GW discover that I finished painting my Rangers and decided to have a laugh?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Cataphract posted:

Battle masters was my gateway into the hobby. I even painted the whole set with terrible testors oil based paints.

Same but HeroQuest

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Sephyr posted:

Ok, am I missing something or did they remove the Rending effect from Sniper weapons in the new book? I can't find mention of it.

Were snipers so overpowered that they needed this nerf, or did GW discover that I finished painting my Rangers and decided to have a laugh?

Sniper weapons don't have Rending (or Pinning) anymore. They have a special effect very similar to, but not quite, Rending. Go read the rule entry for Sniper and then read the rule entry for Rending.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 5, 2014

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Sigh, Heroquest reminds me of Warhammer Quest, and the fact we'll never get a version of that for 40K :(

Sort of Space Hulkish, but not quiet.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Who needs rending when your only sniper is a Vindicare? :smug:
Speaking of which, some people on the internet are adamant that the Vindicare's Deadeye is worded in such a way that it sidesteps Look Out Sir. I know the old FAQ stated that Vindicares ignored it, but GW are terrible and deleted all the old (but still relevant) stuff in the previous one which sucks.

Direwolf posted:

If the bolter's free and replaces the lasgun, then you should unless you want him to have a laspistol for +1 attack. He can keep his chainsword but chainswords don't do anything unless paired with another close combat weapon.
Aren't chainswords AP5 or 6 though? Not that it matters against most armies, but it's something :shrug:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

HiveCommander posted:

Who needs rending when your only sniper is a Vindicare? :smug:
Speaking of which, some people on the internet are adamant that the Vindicare's Deadeye is worded in such a way that it sidesteps Look Out Sir. I know the old FAQ stated that Vindicares ignored it, but GW are terrible and deleted all the old (but still relevant) stuff in the previous one which sucks.

Aren't chainswords AP5 or 6 though? Not that it matters against most armies, but it's something :shrug:

You are thinking quit a few versions back when they were like -1 or -2 to armor save. Now it's just a criminally alternative term for close combat weapon.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
God, I really wish chainswords were AP6. Yeah, like Nids and Orks need one more thing to gently caress them over, but it's a goddamn chainsaw sword. They weren't making that many 6+ saves anyway. Even a lovely version of rending where sixes to wound were AP4 or something, I don't know.

Arven
Sep 23, 2007

HiveCommander posted:

This is what I thought when I asked the question.

The new rulebooks and codex suck, you need to look at 3 different things to see everything you need to know about any given unit or weapon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler
Are heavy chainswords even in any of the codexes?

• Locked thread