Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
It's a solid car that isn't popular, because people are scared of "unreliable Jags" and the market gets depressed. A sinking tide lowers all boats, basically. I'd probably hop on that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bing_commander
Aug 14, 2009

In other news..
For that price if it cranks up i say go for it

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
It's basically a dressed up Ford Mondeo, but sure, a 13 year old Jag sounds like a great way to save money. Certainly more space than those Civics and Corollas.

bouruarofuto
Jan 9, 2013

VERTiG0 posted:

Hahaahahhahaha.

What does this mean? Is MSN Autos not a respected site or something? I don't know much about cars, so sites like that (and forums like this) are where I'm getting my information.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

bouruarofuto posted:

What does this mean? Is MSN Autos not a respected site or something? I don't know much about cars, so sites like that (and forums like this) are where I'm getting my information.

Don't buy an old Jaguar unless you have lots of money laying around to fix it, and lots of patience. They break rather often. I suggest a Toyota or a Honda. There's a reason that Jaguar is so cheap and has been for sale for a while.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

bouruarofuto posted:

I posted a while ago for a nudge in the right direction in regards to buying a used starter car, with good gas mileage and reliability for 2500-3500.

I can't seem to find any Toyota Camrys, Honda Civics, or similar cars that are this new for a comparable price - what is it that makes Jaguar X -types so cheap? Am I an idiot for even considering a car like this on a budget?

If you're attracted to a real bargain on luxury marques, you could look for a Maserati Biturbo. It has both speed and class, and you can easily find one under $4k.

ma i married a tuna
Apr 24, 2005

Numbers add up to nothing
Pillbug

bouruarofuto posted:

I posted a while ago for a nudge in the right direction in regards to buying a used starter car, with good gas mileage and reliability for 2500-3500. The suggestions were really helpful, and a few people said it would really depend on the particular car/owner based on that price range - and when I found one I liked to post it here. On my craigslist search a particular car keeps popping up - which seems way too good to be true - so I'd like you guys to tell me I'm an idiot and a fool for even considering it.

2001-2003 Jaguar X-types seem to be affordable in my area, ranging around 3,000-4,000. I might be crazy, but I've always had some childhood fascination with this particular car, and the thought of owning one for this (seemingly cheap?) price just seems too good to be true. I've heard reliability and cost of repair with Jaguars in particular is bad, but when I look up this particular model I don't see anything out of the ordinary. MSN Autos rates the reliability as good, and the only occasionally listed engine problem is a cheap (or so it says) fix. The gas mileage isn't fantastic, but it doesn't seem horrible either.

I can't seem to find any Toyota Camrys, Honda Civics, or similar cars that are this new for a comparable price - what is it that makes Jaguar X -types so cheap? Am I an idiot for even considering a car like this on a budget?

Since you haven't owned a car before, there's a chance you're forgetting part of the math. It's not just purchase cost+gas+insurance=driving. Maintenance and repair are a factor - very small in a new car, and typically more substantial depending on three factors - mileage, maintenance and mark. The first is obvious, the second means that if people spend money on maintenance preventively, they save money later, and the third means the more luxurious and obscure the car, the more expensive the repairs.

With a 12-year-old Jag, that last one will kick your rear end when you need to replace wear items.

bouruarofuto
Jan 9, 2013
Alright perfect, I knew there had to be a catch - just needed a few people to call me an idiot before erasing the fantasy from my mind.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

bouruarofuto posted:

Alright perfect, I knew there had to be a catch - just needed a few people to call me an idiot before erasing the fantasy from my mind.

Dang, and I had some waterfront property in Florida I wanted to offer you to go with your awesome old Jag. :(

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Don't buy a brand new Matrix. That car is a million years old and completely out of date. Go with the Corolla if you must since at least it's new. If you want the hatchback body style go with Focus, Mazda3 or Impreza.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Throatwarbler posted:

Don't buy a brand new Matrix. That car is a million years old and completely out of date. Go with the Corolla if you must since at least it's new. If you want the hatchback body style go with Focus, Mazda3 or Impreza.

The Corolla may be refreshed but underneath it's still largely the same as it was in 2004.

I'd heavily recommend the Focus, Mazda3, or Impreza over it, for any buyer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

VERTiG0 posted:

Don't buy an old Jaguar unless you have lots of money laying around to fix it, and lots of patience. They break rather often. I suggest a Toyota or a Honda. There's a reason that Jaguar is so cheap and has been for sale for a while.

The X-Type in theory should be better than average since it is a Mondeo.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

The X-Type in theory should be better than average since it is a Mondeo.

Yeah, Jags during the Ford era are not nearly as bad as the old, "true" Jags from :britain:. Like has been said the X-Type is essentially just gussied up Ford Mondeo (the European predecessor to the current Ford Fusion in NA) with a leaping cat bolted on the bonnet. It was Jaguar/Ford's attempt to go down-market and steal some entry-level BMW/Mercedes/Lexus buyers. They're still not really "good" cars per se and some of the Jag-specific bits might be kind of expensive or difficult to track down, but it's not at all like buying a 1980s V12 XJS.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 3, 2014

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn
How bad are the ~2001 XKs? For some reason I have an odd fixation on them. I'm a bit of a Jaguar apologist, I don't know why, maybe I just bought into their marketing.

How likely are they to poo poo themselves? I'm a bit strange with maintenance, because I don't mind high maintenance costs, but I do care about reliability in a different sense. If I have to maintain it often and for a lot of money, it still comes out cheaper than a new car of similar luxury, as I see it. But if it decides to stop working while I'm driving that would not be a fun day.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

The Corolla may be refreshed but underneath it's still largely the same as it was in 2004.

Any particular reasons? I mean, the 2005 Corolla was rock solid; if not for the crash I'd probably still be driving it today, and it looks like 2014 brought an instrumentation/interior overhaul. Are the others more...reliable? Comfortable? Fuel-efficient? Come with more features?

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

IOwnCalculus posted:

Well don't buy the one with the 4 speed auto anyway.

quote:

Yeah, Jags during the Ford era are not nearly as bad as the old, "true" Jags from . Like has been said the X-Type is essentially just gussied up Ford Mondeo (the European predecessor to the current Ford Fusion in NA) with a leaping cat bolted on the bonnet. It was Jaguar/Ford's attempt to go down-market and steal some entry-level BMW/Mercedes/Lexus buyers. They're still not really "good" cars per se and some of the Jag-specific bits might be kind of expensive or difficult to track down, but it's not at all like buying a 1980s V12 XJS.

Jaguar specific bits like the entire engine and drivetrain? It's not like ~2001 era FWD Fords were paragons of reliability either.

Zeppelin Insanity posted:

How bad are the ~2001 XKs? For some reason I have an odd fixation on them. I'm a bit of a Jaguar apologist, I don't know why, maybe I just bought into their marketing.

How likely are they to poo poo themselves? I'm a bit strange with maintenance, because I don't mind high maintenance costs, but I do care about reliability in a different sense. If I have to maintain it often and for a lot of money, it still comes out cheaper than a new car of similar luxury, as I see it. But if it decides to stop working while I'm driving that would not be a fun day.

The AJV8 wasn't too bad after about 2003 I think when it went from 4.0 to 4.2l, the earlier ones had timing chain problems but if they were going to go they would have already gone at some point in the last 15 years. The ZF 5 speed was OK, the Mercedes 5 speed (same one used by Chrysler) on the supercharged versions was pretty good, the ZF 6 speed they started using after 2003 was shared with the contemporary E66 7 series and pretty terrible(Protip: Don't buy an E66 7 series). This was before Jag switched to aluminum chassis so there will probably be rust problems unless you buy from Arizona. It's one of those cars where you might be able to find one owned by someone who knows what they are doing and has proactively dealt with the issues and have an OK time I think. At least it doesn't have air suspension which is probably the source of 50% of Jag/LR problems.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Throatwarbler posted:

Jaguar specific bits like the entire engine and drivetrain? It's not like ~2001 era FWD Fords were paragons of reliability either.

Huh I thought the X-Type just used a Duratec with plastic cladding that said "Jaguar" on it. Read about it some more and I guess I'm wrong. Ok... so yeah, that'd be bad news for finding affordable parts.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Guinness posted:

Huh I thought the X-Type just used a Duratec with plastic cladding that said "Jaguar" on it. Read about it some more and I guess I'm wrong. Ok... so yeah, that'd be bad news for finding affordable parts.

The AJV6 is like 80% Duratec 25.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

All this Jaguar chat is making me sad because that new F-Type coupe is such a beautiful car. If I ever had the wealth to own a sports car that would be it unless Mercedes somehow magically decides they'd like to build an SL Coupe or SLK AMG Coupe. I hate convertibles.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
Just stopped by a dealership just to look at their inventory. I was looking at 2014 Ford F-150 XTS's 4x4 and the Russian salesman was being really pushing on me about what I should be buying. Trying to get me to buy used trucks instead. I told him I had an X-Plan and that it only applies to new cars (he then claimed that they will give me the same deal on a used). I told him I was looking for a 4x4 in the low 30k range. He then tried to "show" me what I could possibly get with the X-Plan and was showing me the MSRP on an XTS at 40k and the best he could do was knock it down to 37K. I told him that the X-Plan is .4% * invoice price - invoice price, not the MSRP. He got mad and started yelling at me that I don't know what I am talking about and I should buy the car for 37k right now. I told him edmunds and truecar value that vehicle at 32K-33K and he said I was being stupid to expect to get a 4x4 at that price range. I got up, thanked him for his time, attempted to shake his hand and walked out. I don't think I have ever dealt with someone so rude and so pushy.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

You can do better than x plan with not a lot of effort. Find a truck you like then start emailing internet sales managers and play them off each other until you get a good price. You should also easily beat the Truecar pricing as well.

Icesler
Jul 7, 2005
Yea, I am just using it as a gauge. I was just relaying how terrible that dealership was. The guy was trying to sell me a car 5K over invoice on a standard bare bones truck. The other dealership I have been talking to (with a smaller inventory) said it would be no problem to get me a truck below my budget.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

ToxicFrog posted:

Any particular reasons? I mean, the 2005 Corolla was rock solid; if not for the crash I'd probably still be driving it today, and it looks like 2014 brought an instrumentation/interior overhaul. Are the others more...reliable? Comfortable? Fuel-efficient? Come with more features?

Some variant of the above. I don't think it's terribly deficient in most respects but it does get somewhat worse crash test ratings than the others - check IIHS small overlap crash test results. If you are about nothing else you may as well get the safest car.

The 2005 Corolla was pretty good compared to the 2005 Chevy Colbalt or Hyundai Elantra. In 2014 not so much.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Wife needs a new vehicle:

Proposed Budget: $15K
New or Used: Used
Body Style: 4-Door kid friendly. Compact to midsize, Sedan or SUV
How will you be using the car?: In town, hauling the kid to and from school, to and from work. Would like to be able to pull a small utility trailer just for taking the mower to the shop or similar tasks (not an important requirement). Emergency snow vehicle - prefer 4WD or AWD, I am assuming 4WD is better due to not having to make sure all 4 tires wear evenly. In my area, there are only about two or three "blizzards" each year which are always less than a foot of snow, and the roads are usually clear by the end of the week. Radio that doesn't suck as much as Ford Sync
What aspects are most important to you? Cost of Ownership, MPG, size- small, easy to park. I prefer domestics simply because I feel like the used Hondas and Toyotas in my area are ridiculously overpriced, I can buy a newer domestic with half the miles for the same price of the Toyotas in my area. . . I don't object to buying an import, I just want to feel that I am getting a good deal on the vehicle and I simply don't feel that way with the imports.

Wife and I looked at a Ford Escape and we liked the vehicle a lot, the mileage was somewhere between acceptable and good but not great, the size was about as large as she wants to drive- I suspect SUV options might be out since the Escape is already very small. Overall, the radio really sank the deal, it was an unresponsive piece of crap.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Crotch Fruit posted:

How will you be using the car?: In town, hauling the kid to and from school, to and from work. Would like to be able to pull a small utility trailer just for taking the mower to the shop or similar tasks (not an important requirement). Emergency snow vehicle - prefer 4WD or AWD, I am assuming 4WD is better due to not having to make sure all 4 tires wear evenly. In my area, there are only about two or three "blizzards" each year which are always less than a foot of snow, and the roads are usually clear by the end of the week. Radio that doesn't suck as much as Ford Sync
What aspects are most important to you? Cost of Ownership, MPG, size- small, easy to park. I prefer domestics simply because I feel like the used Hondas and Toyotas in my area are ridiculously overpriced, I can buy a newer domestic with half the miles for the same price of the Toyotas in my area. . . I don't object to buying an import, I just want to feel that I am getting a good deal on the vehicle and I simply don't feel that way with the imports.

Wife and I looked at a Ford Escape and we liked the vehicle a lot, the mileage was somewhere between acceptable and good but not great, the size was about as large as she wants to drive- I suspect SUV options might be out since the Escape is already very small. Overall, the radio really sank the deal, it was an unresponsive piece of crap.

You mean the old boxy style Escape? Those are ancient and got terrible crash ratings.

A 2 year old Impreza will do all the stuff on the list and nothing much else.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Crotch Fruit posted:

You mean myford touch?
Sync was the old, non touch screen system, and it was largely considered great.

If you don't want fancy, over complex, electronics, try subaru. They're not big on tvs in cars, which is a good thing for me.
Also, basically everything these days as AWD, not 4WD. And their tire senstivity depends on the system, not AWD.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

nm posted:

You mean myford touch?
Sync was the old, non touch screen system, and it was largely considered great.

If you don't want fancy, over complex, electronics, try subaru. They're not big on tvs in cars, which is a good thing for me.
Also, basically everything these days as AWD, not 4WD. And their tire senstivity depends on the system, not AWD.

Sync was pretty good. My Ford touch is a mixed bag. Works well for some things and is terrible for others.

Subaru has an OK blue tooth system. I am still working on setting mine up but overall the call quality is good as is the music streaming.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

You mean the old boxy style Escape? Those are ancient and got terrible crash ratings.

A 2 year old Impreza will do all the stuff on the list and nothing much else.

The Escape we test drove was the new body style, not sure that makes much difference. The "test drive" was supervised and only allowed us to drive a half mile down the highway then turn around and head straight back :rolleyes:.

So far, I have only found one used Impreza in Wichita KS, it had 30K mikes and a $34,000 price tag. I will continue to search, but I simply doubt Wichita will have a good Subaru market. I would prefer to try to stay with Ford, Chevrolet, Honda, Toyota or Nissan. Maybe Dodge too but I am still bitter about my Caliber experience. . .

*please don't say search craigslist, I want to buy from a dealer instead of some random flake on the internet.

Not Wolverine fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jun 4, 2014

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

Crotch Fruit posted:

*please don't say search craigslist, I want to buy from a dealer instead of some random flake on the internet.

That's fine if you don't want to use craigslist, but understand you will be paying more for the privilege of not using it, oftentimes a lot more. Edmunds prices for private party vs dealer retail can differ by thousands. Granted, you'll negotiate that price down at a dealer, but the savings are non-negligible.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

IOwnCalculus posted:

Speaking of the Mazda3 - in these parts, lightly used Mazda6s are pretty cheap. Is there a particular reason I shouldn't be looking at them? At a glance, it looks like it has the same relationship to the M3 that the Camry does to the Corolla -- same idea, but a bit bigger, a bit nicer and a bit more expensive.

Sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm pretty much completely new at this.

E: ok, it looks like the M6 is actually quite a lot larger and possibly more car than is convenient for a short-hop commuter car

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 4, 2014

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

The Mazda 6 looks about the same general size as the Camry/Accord I used to drive. I'm much happier with the smaller Mazda 3, but I wanted a smaller car. They are cheaper because the Toyota/Honda tax are still in full effect even though they don't get you as much as they used to.

A lot of people around here say Mazdas have rust problems, I haven't seen it and Maryland loves to dump salt on nearly no snow at all, but full disclosure I guess.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

ToxicFrog posted:

Speaking of the Mazda3 - in these parts, lightly used Mazda6s are pretty cheap. Is there a particular reason I shouldn't be looking at them? At a glance, it looks like it has the same relationship to the M3 that the Camry does to the Corolla -- same idea, but a bit bigger, a bit nicer and a bit more expensive.

Sorry for all the stupid questions, I'm pretty much completely new at this.

E: ok, it looks like the M6 is actually quite a lot larger and possibly more car than is convenient for a short-hop commuter car

The last gen Mazda 6 wasn't a bad car, but is outclassed by the new 6 and even arguably the new 3 unless you need something that big.

bouruarofuto
Jan 9, 2013
Strange, I actually came in here to ask about the Mazda 6 - and I see that's what people are talking about already.

I'm going to look at a 2004 Mazda 6 with 124k miles, as I've posted before I'm pretty new at this and don't have any experience buying cars. It's from a private seller (craigslist) and is listed for $3500 or best offer. Is there anything I should look out for on this particular car, or when buying used cars in general? What I've read online about this car seems pretty positive, but any advice/warnings would be greatly appreciated!

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

bouruarofuto posted:

Strange, I actually came in here to ask about the Mazda 6 - and I see that's what people are talking about already.

I'm going to look at a 2004 Mazda 6 with 124k miles, as I've posted before I'm pretty new at this and don't have any experience buying cars. It's from a private seller (craigslist) and is listed for $3500 or best offer. Is there anything I should look out for on this particular car, or when buying used cars in general? What I've read online about this car seems pretty positive, but any advice/warnings would be greatly appreciated!

I'd highly suggest taking a used car to a mechanic for an inspection if you aren't really knowledgeable about cars yourself. He's mostly going to inspect rubber belts, seals, look for fluid leaks and any play in suspension that shouldn't be there, but it's worth it to have someone verify the car's condition.

That sounds like a good price range and they're fine cars, go check it out!

bouruarofuto
Jan 9, 2013

Twerk from Home posted:

I'd highly suggest taking a used car to a mechanic for an inspection if you aren't really knowledgeable about cars yourself. He's mostly going to inspect rubber belts, seals, look for fluid leaks and any play in suspension that shouldn't be there, but it's worth it to have someone verify the car's condition.

That sounds like a good price range and they're fine cars, go check it out!

Thank you, I'll definitely be taking any car for an inspection before purchasing - would purchasing the carfax report be necessary also? Any general tips as far as things to look out for before then? Red flags?

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream
So my girlfriend is graduating and starting a new job soon and she's pretty much dead-set on getting a Prius. Since we already know what model she's going to buy, the question is, which trim. I'm leaning towards the lowest trim (Prius Two), but I'm curious about the value of some of the features that the higher trims provide.

Has anyone used the Toyota Entune stuff? How does it compare to the basic stereo that would come with the cheaper model? I'm inclined to think it's crap and the cheaper stereo will suffice, but I defer to you guys.

She'd like heated seats but it's another $4k to jump up to the Prius Four model. Does anyone know if there's a way to either get heated seats added to the lowest model? Or, is the Four model worth the bump in other ways that I'm not seeing?

Aside from those two things, the models look mostly the same... Is there anything I'm overlooking here?

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Time for even more stupid questions.

Following the earlier recommendations in this thread, I've been looking at the Honda Accord and Mazda 3 in addition to the Leaf.

If I'm going to be hitting Nissan dealerships anyways to look at the Leaf, is there any reason I shouldn't also be checking out the Nissan Versa? Is the Mazda 3 just better?

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

The Versa is dreadful, you'll see.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
A strategically placed bag of potato chips will fill up the Versa's trunk. Either prepare to have the seats folded down all the time or look elsewhere. I think it might not be a bad idea to look at Honda Fits as well, unless the thread knows a reason to avoid them.

Back when I wanted an econo-shitbox I went with a Caliber. :haw: The CVT is the worst driving experience possible and I know some of the Versa models came with CVTs which probably suck just as much as the Caliber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amphion
Jun 10, 2012

All we know is... he's called The Stig.
The Versa is a subcompact, the Sentra would be comparable to the Mazda3 (but worse).