Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Forgall posted:

Pretty sure I remember them saying there won't be any DLC and the game will be a "complete product". So that's a bit disappointing.

Yeah what is it with FROM and giving us extra content to play with :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

laplace posted:

Hey again King's Field 4. It's nice to see FromSoft throwing another area from you into DkS2. Sunken King's area sure does look like the ancient city and its surroundings.

Never stop, Fromsoft :allears:. Soon enough you'll be able to rerelease Dark Souls as the King's Field 4 remake you always wanted it to be.

It really does look like King's Field 4. Lots of Dark Souls 2 felt like Shadow Tower Abyss and it really does feel like DS2 was made by the Field's fans at From.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Mans posted:

Yeah what is it with FROM and giving us extra content to play with :rolleyes:

I remember how people were complaining before the game came out that unlocking bonfire teleportation from the start of the game would make the game seem small. I remember laughing pretty hard about that somewhere around hour 30 of the first playthrough.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

It really does look like King's Field 4. Lots of Dark Souls 2 felt like Shadow Tower Abyss and it really does feel like DS2 was made by the Field's fans at From.
It feeling like Shadow Tower Abyss might be because one of the directors worked on that and that only iirc (if MobyGames can be trusted).

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Dukka posted:

You understand that content-wise the game was most likely locked in around the start of the year, right?

And if they decided to cut some planned areas and move them into DLC they probably made that decision before then. There's always a pretty huge gap between what gets planned for a game and what actually gets released.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Annath posted:

If I use GeDoSaTo to lock my FPS at 30, will that fix the weapon degradation bug?

Yes.

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com
Dugtrio used POISON...
It's super effective!

That looks like a crystal lizard, but with statues on its back instead.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Robot Hobo posted:

Dugtrio used POISON...
It's super effective!

That looks like a crystal lizard, but with statues on its back instead.

The newest form of Crystal Gecko assholery.

I'm hoping it takes the angle of recovering the crowns of the old kings before Drangleic... they've explicitly said in the game that Vendrick bested 4 Old Ones and used their power to basically form all of Drangleic, and THEN he went and stole the macguffin from the Giants... maybe the 4 Old ones were whoever these people's crowns are? Or maybe each one is another Vendrick, who restarted the cycle and then had their kingdom fall into ruin? That latter idea seems a little too heavy in scope for DLC, though. Also the first thought I had was it's only 3 DLC and they said 4 Old Ones, so I dunno, maybe one of them is just a dragon or something.

Who cares, as long as we get more awesome poo poo. Also I want some new Fashion Souls.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The four old ones he bested were likely the previous incarnations of Seath, Gwyn, Nito, and the Witch of Izalith. One of the DLCs involves the Old Iron King, who is the current incarnation of Gwyn, so that's unlikely.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Is changing your character name with cheatengine safe? I'd do it in offline mode with steam offline to be safe.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zedd posted:

Is changing your character name with cheatengine safe? I'd do it in offline mode with steam offline to be safe.

There is no punishment for anything at the moment.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Genocyber posted:

One of the DLCs involves the Old Iron King, who is the current incarnation of Gwyn, so that's unlikely.

Huh, really? I never picked up on that, where was that implied? I don't remember hearing about Vendrick stealing things from the Giants either, though. Are there any good lore videos out there that explains that sort of backstory, without getting too speculative?

Cainer
May 8, 2008

Beard Yawn posted:

New magic is gonna be dustomancy and there will be more sweet robes with stars on them.

Nah, new magic will be Diplomancy! Solve your problems through polite and gentle discourse, new emotes, new stone carvings!

Well this is probably the only game in history that I'll actually pick up a season pass for, until the sequel anyway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The lore in this game is way looser than the previous one, so it's harder to speculate on things that the game doesn't make concrete. And, as with Dark Souls 1, people love to just say poo poo like it's fact without backing it up but I guess that's to be expected.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Jordbo posted:

Huh, really? I never picked up on that, where was that implied? I don't remember hearing about Vendrick stealing things from the Giants either, though. Are there any good lore videos out there that explains that sort of backstory, without getting too speculative?
The whole Gwyn thing? In NG+ when you beat him again.
VVV: The fact that you can trade it for Blinding Bolt, which refers to the God of Sun along with the Dragonslayer Greatbow leans to Gwyn a bit more I think.

neetengie fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jun 4, 2014

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

neetengie posted:

The whole Gwyn thing? In NG+ when you beat him again.

It stands to reason if you get Seath's Soul, the Bed of Chaos soul, and Nito's soul from the other three guys the "King's soul" you get from the Old Iron King is the 4 Kings' soul, not Gwyn's.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The fact that you can turn it into a Dragonslayer Greatbow or a massive lightning miracle kinda point towards Daddy Sun, though.

It's also said by several NPCs that the Giant attack was a counterinvasion, in revenge of Vendrick's earlier conquests across the sea. The most popular interpretation is that he stole the Throne of Want from them.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Cowcaster posted:

It stands to reason if you get Seath's Soul, the Bed of Chaos soul, and Nito's soul from the other three guys the "King's soul" you get from the Old Iron King is the 4 Kings' soul, not Gwyn's.

Its the same soul isn't it?

Tykero
Jun 22, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

It's likely both. The Four Kings were granted a portion of Gwyn's Lord Soul in the first place, and the soul itself is used to make Blinding Bolt or a Dragonslayer Greatbow, both of which are more Gwyn-oriented.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

CJacobs posted:

The lore in this game is way looser than the previous one, so it's harder to speculate on things that the game doesn't make concrete. And, as with Dark Souls 1, people love to just say poo poo like it's fact without backing it up but I guess that's to be expected.

Or you could take 3 seconds to look up stuff and see the clear connections to Gwyn.

The items you get from the Old King's Soul (drops from O.I.K. on NG+) are Blinding Bolt (hmm, a lightning miracle you say?) and the Dragonslayer Greatbow.

Here are their descriptions:

Blinding Bolt posted:

"A miracle that creates a giant soul mass and transforms it into a lightning-spouting orb of light.

Crafted in ancient times by the God of Sun, but later forbidden by the same deity. Was it to protect the world from hatred, or sorrow?"

Dragonslayer Greatbow posted:

"A greatbow said to be used to down ancient dragons flying high above the clouds. Extremely large for a mere bow, and more destructible than any ranged weapon imaginable.
Shooting this bow requires the grounding of its stability anchor, which takes time and leaves the shooter vulnerable. Also requires great arrows."

It doesn't outright say "OLD IRON KING IS GWYN" but gently caress if it isn't hinted at enough.

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat
The 4 king's soul shards were fragments of gwyn's given to them when he left to deal with the first flame though remember.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

kazil posted:

Or you could take 3 seconds to look up stuff and see the clear connections to Gwyn.

I could, yes, if I gave a poo poo. As is, the lore in this game is in my opinion murky in an annoying way and not an interesting way.

TGLT
Aug 14, 2009

Artum posted:

The 4 king's soul shards were fragments of gwyn's given to them when he left to deal with the first flame though remember.

Maybe, but they were super hosed up on the dark sauce so it's strange they'd still give sun miracles. It's also "Old King Soul" instead of "Old Kings' Soul" or anything implying plurality or being shared.

It makes more sense that they'd be sharing the souls of the four figures instrumental in setting up the first Age of Fire, rather than three plus some jack asses that are addicted to humanity.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

fuxxo posted:

I hope everything in this DLC is resistant to strike damage.

Hahaha, this and lightning.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

CJacobs posted:

I could, yes, if I gave a poo poo. As is, the lore in this game is in my opinion murky in an annoying way and not an interesting way.

You clearly gave enough of a poo poo to post how bad the lore is while being totally wrong.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

CJacobs posted:

It's pretty aggravating that to get it for yourself you apparently have to play the entire game 3+ times.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I wonder if in this DLC they'll reveal why there's concept art and a voice credit to a child version of the Emerald Herald:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

kazil posted:

You clearly gave enough of a poo poo to post how bad the lore is while being totally wrong.

Oh don't get me wrong, I care enough to complain about it, I just don't care enough to read through a thousand speculative posts to pick the needle in the haystack that has less leaps in logic.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

FutonForensic posted:

I wonder if in this DLC they'll reveal why there's concept art and a voice credit to a child version of the Emerald Herald:

From how her clothes are, would that model possibly be shown in the Ivory expansion?

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Jordbo posted:

In NG+ or with ascetic the four great ones, The lost sinner, the old iron king, the rotten and dukes dear freja all drops souls that refer to the 3 Lords from DS1 and Seath. Old Iron king drops old king soul that can be exchanged to a lightning miracle with the text:

A miracle that creates a giant soul mass
and transforms it into a lightning-spouting orb of light.

Crafted in ancient times by the God of Sun,
but later forbidden by the same deity. Was it
to protect the world from hatred, or sorrow?

The lost sinner drops Old witch soul, that refers to the witch of Izalith, the rotten drops old dead ones soul referring to Nito and Freja drops old Paledrakes soul referring to Seath. All of the souls can be traded for weapons/spells that refer to the characters from DS1.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Is it worth it to get a DS4 controller? How's the support? Currently using a DS2.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Oh don't get me wrong, I care enough to complain about it, I just don't care enough to read through a thousand speculative posts to pick the needle in the haystack that has less leaps in logic.

I mean, sure, like DkS1 there's lots of speculation that is absurd, but the 4 great souls being reincarnations of the 4 great souls from DkS1 is pretty solidly grounded.

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Rated PG-34 posted:

Is it worth it to get a DS4 controller? How's the support? Currently using a DS2.
I like it a lot, better than the DS2/3. This is what you'll use, and remember to check the option "Hide DS4" before playing if you pick it up.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

The Smelter Demon was the Iron King's attempt to make a superior blacksteel Mark II model of Vendrick's giant-powered stone Golems.

But how did the King spawn a big-rear end balrog after he got served by his own creation? Is the famous "iron" haunted? Did he trip across a Titanite Demon mass grave that eventually was crunched into a massive ore deposit? Where the gently caress did all that lava come from?

Ugh, I'm thinking too hard about this.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

FutonForensic posted:

God drat I was just looking at that picture and trying to figure out who the hell it was supposed to be.
From has said that there would be some time fuckery (not a direct quote) in Dark Souls 2 and this DLC looks to be it.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

Equester posted:

In NG+ or with ascetic the four great ones, The lost sinner, the old iron king, the rotten and dukes dear freja all drops souls that refer to the 3 Lords from DS1 and Seath. Old Iron king drops old king soul that can be exchanged to a lightning miracle with the text:

A miracle that creates a giant soul mass
and transforms it into a lightning-spouting orb of light.

Crafted in ancient times by the God of Sun,
but later forbidden by the same deity. Was it
to protect the world from hatred, or sorrow?

The lost sinner drops Old witch soul, that refers to the witch of Izalith, the rotten drops old dead ones soul referring to Nito and Freja drops old Paledrakes soul referring to Seath. All of the souls can be traded for weapons/spells that refer to the characters from DS1.

Yeah, I had figured that out about the other Old Ones but for some reason I never got that the Iron King gave you Gwyn's soul. I'm dumb! But thanks, everyone, for clearing things up!

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

There's something about hearing the title "Dark Souls" in tandem with the term "Season Pass" that makes me throw up a little in my mouth. The term is regularly reserved for poo poo tier titles such as Borderlands, or Watch Dogs. Still, I'd like to think the 24.99 pricetag speaks to speaks to the length and quality of the new content, right?

..........................right????

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
I'm just happy PC is getting the content at the same time as 360/PS3.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

So is there any reason to buy a season pass now instead of waiting for the DLC to come out, figure out if it's good, and then buy the DLC/season pass instead?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
What's the season pass thing mean anyway, do you get all dlc released but only for a short while or?