Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Religious people incorporate scientific fact into their beliefs, news at 11.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Fried Chicken posted:

The "Welcome Back Bowe" ceremony planned by Bowe Bergdahl's hometown has been canceled, citing public safety concerns.

If you follow the Freep thread, the other day they were talking about calling to raise hell/threaten to get the ceremony shut down.

Do they not understand that even though he may or may not have left his post he was still a POW for FIVE loving YEARS?

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Flaggy posted:

Do they not understand that even though he may or may not have left his post he was still a POW for FIVE loving YEARS?

POWs, and MIAs for that matter, are the right-wing culture warriors much more valuable as hero-victims at a distance than as real, flawed humans about whom we occasionally learn uncomfortable things (not presuming that Bergdahl will necessarily prove so to be, though he may). While behind the wire (or in caves or whatever other specific captivity they endure) they serve as sublimely noble resistors of The Enemy's barbarism, redeeming through their suffering any wartime crimes that need excusing. Once they come back, well, the hell with any that fail to live up to expectations.

Or, put more succinctly, they really don't give a poo poo.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Those are what, 10lbs maybe? Cue the GOP attacks on Obama being a colossal wimp unlike ubermensch Putin a real man's man and shoulder lifts grizzly bears by their necks.

The US won't ever have a second Civil War, it'll have a first Crusade, lead by a generation raised on creationism and other unconstitutional charter school horseshit.

Unless they all die off early on due to their parents never vaccinating them. :shrug:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Evil Fluffy posted:

The US won't ever have a second Civil War, it'll have a first Crusade, lead by a generation raised on creationism and other unconstitutional charter school horseshit.

Unless they all die off early on due to their parents never vaccinating them. :shrug:

How does what you just quoted lead you to this conclusion?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Nintendo Kid posted:

How does what you just quoted lead you to this conclusion?

It's just a smattering of joke approximations to fit in.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
The US and Iran have reached a 6 month deal on the nuclear program. This is a separate deal from the one that is being negotiated with the P5+1

http://www.businessinsider.com/iran-and-the-us-have-reached-a-bilateral-6-month-agreement-on-irans-nuclear-program-2014-6

Remover how Iran was never going to come to the table, and once they did they would never come to a deal and once they did Obama was a fool because they would never come to another one? Yeah...

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Fried Chicken posted:

The US and Iran have reached a 6 month deal on the nuclear program. This is a separate deal from the one that is being negotiated with the P5+1

http://www.businessinsider.com/iran-and-the-us-have-reached-a-bilateral-6-month-agreement-on-irans-nuclear-program-2014-6

Remover how Iran was never going to come to the table, and once they did they would never come to a deal and once they did Obama was a fool because they would never come to another one? Yeah...

Well it's a lovely deal you see because... :freep:

The Angry Bum
Nov 10, 2005

Fried Chicken posted:

Cue Oliver North complaining about Obama giving Iran a Nuclear arsenal to destroy America with.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

computer parts posted:

3.2% of 63% is a lot higher than 4.6% of 12% so no, they're mostly white (as is this country).

I think the point is that the LGBTQ community is much more diverse than people presume, and it's not really reflected in how the community is portrayed or what issues are pushed to the forefront. Allowing LGBTQ people to marry is a no-brainer, but as long as the face of the movement is two middle class, clean cut white dudes (or white women) approximating heteronormative relationship dynamics in a way that won't upset the general public, then further issues that mostly impact poor, minority people in the LGBTQ community are going to be ignored or rationalized as less important.

Take "coming out day" for example. Great idea, less than great execution. It's a great thing if you live in a urban location, if you have a supportive family (or at least family that you're not dependent on for money or resources), and know that your livelihood won't be endangered. In poorer, rural communities, it's not so great, because for myriad reasons, LGBTQ people have a lot more to deal with. That's not even going into more complicated issues like people who are in transition.

The solution is of course for the country to grow the gently caress up and just accept people (like Hari Kondabolu says, we should be way past tolerance and acceptance at this point and moving into just loving everyone regardless), but the way that the mainstream LGBTQ community operates hurts as many people as it helps sometimes.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Jun 4, 2014

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Radish posted:

I know exactly what all my conservative co-workers and relatives are going to say about an issue before they even bring it up by reading these threads.

How long have you been racist against conservatives, the true victims of racism?

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

What the hell is going on with that 30-49 age group?

Also how the gently caress do 27% of college grads believe God created man in the last 10k years? I'm curious if that number plummets for graduate degree holders.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

Also how the gently caress do 27% of college grads believe God created man in the last 10k years? I'm curious if that number plummets for graduate degree holders.

That part doesn't make sense. None of the educational categories have any number above 27% for those who believe in evolution; it doesn't add up with the other rows.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

It's within the margin of error for the 50-64 age range.

Mystic_Shadow posted:

That part doesn't make sense. None of the educational categories have any number above 27% for those who believe in evolution; it doesn't add up with the other rows.

That section is specifically "God exists AND He used Evolution to help create Man". The debate has been incredibly polarized to where you're either religious or you believe evolution occured, so it's not surprising that the number of people that believe both is low.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Fried Chicken posted:

The "Welcome Back Bowe" ceremony planned by Bowe Bergdahl's hometown has been canceled, citing public safety concerns.

If you follow the Freep thread, the other day they were talking about calling to raise hell/threaten to get the ceremony shut down.

Spitting on the troops, indeed.

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?

Not everyone is a biology major.

Mystic_Shadow posted:

It means what percent of each educational group believe that Humans evolved but were guided by God. Each row adds up to (roughly) 100%, not the columns.

Don Pigeon
Oct 29, 2005

Great pigeons are not born great. They grow great by eating lots of bread crumbs.

computer parts posted:

That section is specifically "God exists AND He used Evolution to help create Man". The debate has been incredibly polarized to where you're either religious or you believe evolution occured, so it's not surprising that the number of people that believe both is low.

No what I mean is that in the first column, there no combination of any number of people in the education categories (5th through 8th rows) that will equal a combination of any number of people in the age categories (9th through 12th rows.) I was making a mathematical argument.

E: Well now that I look at it maybe a very highly skewed distribution would do it. gently caress it.

Don Pigeon fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 4, 2014

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Fried Chicken posted:

It says that article was posted 45 minutes ago. Whats the over and under on time till Netanyahu complains its American appeasement? On more claims of Obama treason by the right?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

ChipNDip posted:

Not everyone is a biology major.

And some "college" grads went to Liberty U.

im gay
Jul 20, 2013

by Lowtax
Can someone direct me to articles/papers that discuss the possible outcomes of a minimum wage increase. Whether it's the $10.10 or $15 increase.

I know it has probably been discussed in length in other threads.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

im gay posted:

Can someone direct me to articles/papers that discuss the possible outcomes of a minimum wage increase. Whether it's the $10.10 or $15 increase.

Try the now closed minimum wage thread
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3574253&perpage=40

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

im gay posted:

Let me drop some knowledge on ya.

Pope Fabulous XXIV
Aug 15, 2012
Squeal harder, piggies.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Ah for the good old days before labor laws wrecked the economy...

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

Ah yes, non-partisan research outfit, The Heritage Foundation.

ChristsDickWorship
Dec 7, 2004

Annihilate your demons

I find it interesting that people who reported "some college" are more likely to think God guided evolution or created us in 7 days than the groups with either no college or with degrees. I wonder if that reflects attending unaccredited Bible colleges, lying about going to college, or is just an anomaly.

Also interesting if you follow the link, although the same percentage of people seem to believe in creationism now, more than 10% fewer people actually recognize the term "creationism," or would say they are very familiar with it compared to previous years. That seems like a plus I guess?

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

At least put a little effort into poo poo like this good lord.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Harry Reid will usher in the new Progressive era with his Fair And Balanced Campaign Money Amendment. Ted Cruz will be the best man at my wedding.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

The sound a wet fart makes.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

VitalSigns posted:

Ah for the good old days before labor laws wrecked the economy...

You rang? :tipshat:

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

"Founded in 1973, The Heritage Foundation is a research and educational institution—a think tank—whose mission is to formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense."

Yaay I've found it! The completely unbiased source!

Hey Girl
Sep 24, 2004

im gay posted:

http://www.cbo.gov/publication/44995
http://www.whitehouse.gov/blog/2014/02/18/congressional-budget-office-report-finds-minimum-wage-lifts-wages-165-million-worker

The Insect Court
Nov 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

hangedman1984 posted:

Maybe this will actually blow over and the poor guy won't have to deal with being called a traitor by the time he gets back into the country.

el oh el

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/bowe-bergdahl-released/officials-bergdahls-hometown-stop-hate-n121761

quote:

Hailey, Idaho, the hometown of freed U.S. soldier Bowe Bergdahl, the joy at his release has turned for some into shock and fear — the fear of picking up the phone.

That's because some town officials have been deluged with angry calls from people who think that Bergdahl is an Army deserter or traitor who doesn't deserve a hero's welcome.

Jane Drussel, the president of the Hailey Chamber of Commerce, has been fielding dozens of angry calls.

"Well, (I feel) disappointment number one, just absolutely total surprise at how bad some of them are," she told NBC News on Tuesday.

When the news that Bergdahl had been freed from five years of captivity in Afghanistan in exchange for five Taliban commanders broke on Saturday, most reactions were happy, but the nebulous details of how he wound up in enemy hands in 2009 has caused some — both civilians and military — to turn against him and his family.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

im gay posted:

On minimum wage increases and employment changes, or the lack thereof: http://www.nextnewdeal.net/minimum-wage-laws-and-labor-market-what-have-we-learned-card-and-kruegers-book-myth-and-measurement

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Was someone just making a joke about unbiased sources?

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

vulturesrow posted:

Was someone just making a joke about unbiased sources?

It lays out its own reasoning.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Captain_Maclaine posted:

POWs, and MIAs for that matter, are the right-wing culture warriors much more valuable as hero-victims at a distance than as real, flawed humans about whom we occasionally learn uncomfortable things (not presuming that Bergdahl will necessarily prove so to be, though he may). While behind the wire (or in caves or whatever other specific captivity they endure) they serve as sublimely noble resistors of The Enemy's barbarism, redeeming through their suffering any wartime crimes that need excusing. Once they come back, well, the hell with any that fail to live up to expectations.

Or, put more succinctly, they really don't give a poo poo.

This probably sounded cool in your head, but just shut up. This is the most simplistic pseudo-psychology explanation for things.

People threatening violence over Bergdahl are loonies. People upset that he hasn't been murdered on TV are loonies. But all evidence points toward him being a deserter. It's very hard to say for a fact that any single death was linked to him, but it's very easy to see that a remote, solitary base that got daily ISR assets due to how remote it was suddenly had zero ISR assets and got nailed by a numerically superior force that would have been trivially easy to detect with even a lovely Shadow up in the air.

The Daily Beast article is written by an incredibly intelligent and level-headed person who, despite being an extremely capable Soldier, was never the traditional "meathead" that people think of when they think of light infantry.

Those that were actually involved give a poo poo in a very serious way, and not all of them wish anything ill to happen to Bergdahl, but would rather that they finally not have a gag order from the government preventing them from even acknowledging that he wasn't magically teleported out of the base and that he didn't lag behind a patrol that did not exist.

edit for article link: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/02/we-lost-soldiers-in-the-hunt-for-bergdahl-a-guy-who-walked-off-in-the-dead-of-night.html

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
All of Heritage's "studies" seem to have the same problem, which is that they start with a conclusion and ignore any and all confounding factors, with a healthy dose of conveniently forgetting that correlation doesn't imply causation.

Basically, designed to give fake legitimacy to GOP politicians who want to cite a "study."

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

mlmp08 posted:

This probably sounded cool in your head, but just shut up. This is the most simplistic pseudo-psychology explanation for things.

No, actually, it's a short summation of more than one established study on how the American right deals with POW/MIA issues post-Vietnam. Mike Allen's Until the Last Man Comes Home: POWs, MIAs, and the Unending War in Vietnam and H. Bruce Franklin's MIA, or, Mythmaking in America being only the two most prominent examples I could name off hand. But feel free to be an idiot about it anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

mlmp08 posted:

edit for article link: http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/06/02/we-lost-soldiers-in-the-hunt-for-bergdahl-a-guy-who-walked-off-in-the-dead-of-night.html

Oh well if yet another soldier says he deserted then obviously he deserted and that's the end of that chapter. You're casually dismissing the psychological explanation given and then saying "welp this guy said it happened this way" without realizing its a hodgepodge of hearsay and assumptions. Being in proximity to him doesn't automatically give them credibility, exactly for the reasons people have listed that you dismiss.

And again, the point still stands. It doesn't matter what he did, the goal should be his retrieval for either a parade and vacation or put to a court for alleged crimes and adequate punishment.

• Locked thread