Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
I like plain RGs. :saddowns:

None of that floral poo poo though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

I wish Ibanez necks had a standard Fender style 4 bolt hole.

I feel like a Wizard neck on a weirdo Fender body would be cool. Also Ibanez headstocks are ugly.

But the Wizard style neck is so drat comfortable.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

BUSH 2112 posted:

For some reason it's hard to find a good picture of the whole guitar, but that includes all of the terribleness. The finish and inlay really pop and look amazing in person, though.

hehehe i like that

for bass, the Fender Precision is always gonna be my top pick unless you're playing metal. that big fat split pickup sound with fresh, thin DRs, you can growl, thump, or snap better than anything.

Warwicks have that, there's like a thing bass players are into with natural looking woods and exaggerated shapes, just GIS custom bass and you can fill this thread for days. i've played a few warwicks and never been really moved by one

Ibanez basses get near the fender tone, and generally play way better

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
o btw the guitar i commissioned from WDE is still gonna happen, now that he's back around. and i got myself one of these to hold me over

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

unlawfulsoup posted:

I really really dislike the aesthetics on Ibanez guitars, but I think it is because I mainly associate them with the worst excess of the 80s. Especially the goddamn handle in the body. :barf:

the lower bout on their superstrat models is slightly angled outward and it's annoying when you notice it like shannon doherty's droopy eye

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

my old roommate is a total ibanez fanboy. he owns an RG and now his main guitar is from their artist series. he also wears an ibanez shirt all the time.

glad he's no longer my roommate

e: and yeah it's true about bassists and Natural Wood Finishes. i'm actually about to have the paint stripped off of my jazz bass and then replaced with a nice red wood stain

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

comes along bort posted:

the lower bout on their superstrat models is slightly angled outward and it's annoying when you notice it like shannon doherty's droopy eye

It's really "Handy" (;)) when u want to put your hand up high

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

BUSH 2112 posted:

It's funny, I was listening to the first three Korn albums because, I dunno, I was super into them back in middle school, and I was actually kind of impressed by how heavy they are compared to newer bands that try to be 2extreeeeme with crazy shredding and whatnot. And Jonathan Davis has a weird voice that I don't particularly like anymore, but at least their lyrics were real.

lol korn but that first album had a neat guitar tone. ross robinson really likes his lovely fuzz since that godawful nu-metal sepultura album they did with him was the same

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

the split output on the bass big muff pi is the Best :eyepop:

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012
I'm in bed, posting from Awful app, and generally lazy, so I won't kick this off, but we should be mining the endless resource that is Terrible Guitar Shirts. All guitar shirts qualify.

My first bass was an Ibanez, because I used to think pick guards were for grandpa. I've evolved to the point where anything that isn't Fender-styled or a Ric or possibly a Stingray or Thunderbird makes me barf. This applies to all genres of music, including metal. Major props to the dude from Red Fang for his P Bass.

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

So, ugly guitars thread, I would like a verdict once and for all.

The Gibson The Grabber

Yes, a Gibson bass from the 70s. Ugly? Elegant? The pickup slides up and down within that square. Gimmicky or brilliant?

The headstock says THE GRABBER on it.

e: my buddy bought one a few weeks ago.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!

mclast posted:

Ibanez makes decent basses and acoustics. Their electrics are silly.

They're silly but also really solid guitars, really great to play and priced well. But gently caress just getting standard RGs/JEMs all day long and nothing else, they have some more interesting guitars and why would you only ever play one brand.

That said though the best guitar I've ever owned and played was this ibanez:

Mahogany with a maple cap rather than straight basswood, thin and light, really comfortable thanks to that and the carved/archtop. Doesnt look too metal thanks to again a carved top and a nice finish instead of solid colour. Best hard tail bridge I've ever used, stock pickups that weren't utter trash (which is rare for ibanez), kept tuning like a boss and I got it for like £450 used. Godly guitar.

Thread thoughts on my bass? Is it terrible? Standard natural wood bass because I am a bassist.

It was £250 new and plays incredibly well, I just wish the spalted top one was the one on sale rather than this burled top :smith:

edit:

Ferroque posted:

The Gibson The Grabber

Yes, a Gibson bass from the 70s. Ugly? Elegant? The pickup slides up and down within that square. Gimmicky or brilliant?

I loving hate this bass, we had one on hand for recording our EP, ended up using my cheap rear end LTD above instead because the grabber is literally the most uncomfortable bass I have ever played. The body is just ridiculously big and a completely poo poo shape. Also utterly hideous.

Stux fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 5, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
That Gibson is good because it's Totally Peavey, RGA 121 is good and I have one, and LTD bass is pretty sweet expect for the F headstock because it doesn't match the body very well

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Yeah the headstock isn't the best, but for the price it was no where near a deal breaker. I had the 6 string version of it a few years ago when I was an idiot and the headstock was simpler and nicer. It was the heaviest bass on the planet though, neck through and built out of merbau with a maple/mahogany neck. Could not play a gig with it, and 6 strings are for dicks.

I love how cheap bass is compared to guitar though. That rig cost me £750 all told, with everything but the head brand new (and the head was ungigged and came with the flight case). My guitarists meanwhile have spent thousands.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Ferroque posted:

The Gibson The Grabber

I played a Ripper once, same shape with fixed pickups and a Varitone switch. Weird, fun to play though! Actually oddly ergonomic. Weren't they a Gene Simmons signature model first?

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Stux posted:

Yeah the headstock isn't the best, but for the price it was no where near a deal breaker. I had the 6 string version of it a few years ago when I was an idiot and the headstock was simpler and nicer. It was the heaviest bass on the planet though, neck through and built out of merbau with a maple/mahogany neck. Could not play a gig with it, and 6 strings are for dicks.

I love how cheap bass is compared to guitar though. That rig cost me £750 all told, with everything but the head brand new (and the head was ungigged and came with the flight case). My guitarists meanwhile have spent thousands.

aw gently caress i just looked again it's not even the original F series headstock it's the one they used to replace the cockstock with when they thought eveyrone hated the cockstock, poo poo

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
I quite like the artist series though the gold hardware is sorta dumb. also they have the guitar with the best name
the ibanez ar420

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
My dad had one from the 70s, it weighed a ton and felt like it was made of granite

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Bread Dragon posted:

I'm in bed, posting from Awful app, and generally lazy, so I won't kick this off, but we should be mining the endless resource that is Terrible Guitar Shirts. All guitar shirts qualify.

My first bass was an Ibanez, because I used to think pick guards were for grandpa. I've evolved to the point where anything that isn't Fender-styled or a Ric or possibly a Stingray or Thunderbird makes me barf. This applies to all genres of music, including metal. Major props to the dude from Red Fang for his P Bass.

I've played with a lot of bassists over the years and the best players with the best overall sound were always Fender P or Jazz bass guys. The few others that walked in with some kind of Ibanez or carved-top glossy body with exaggerated curves or angles all sounded like garbage.

Absalom Baird
Jul 13, 2010
Rippers are cool, can't say I ever played a Grabber but they look dumb

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Absalom Baird posted:

Rippers are cool, can't say I ever played a Grabber but they look dumb

I played a Grabber II in guitar center once and was impressed because I've never liked how a Gibson bass sounded or played before. Shame it wasn't $800 cheaper and not a limited run

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

I Might Be Adam posted:

I've played with a lot of bassists over the years and the best players with the best overall sound were always Fender P or Jazz bass guys. The few others that walked in with some kind of Ibanez or carved-top glossy body with exaggerated curves or angles all sounded like garbage.

Bread Dragon posted:

That's not evolution that's just getting old. Good job grandpa

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.
Nothing wrong with a Fender bass for metal.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

I recommend doing what feels good, than doing what sounds good

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

I Might Be Adam posted:

Yeah, I don't think I'd want to play in a normal rock band with my bass. I'm more into the Les Claypool style of bass playing. I do love J-basses, though. P-basses do nothing for me, for whatever reason. They sound kind of wimpy imo.

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Hi thread. Here's my all-Ibanez collection.

Judge me please.

The guitar on the left is an SZ350 or something. It's from 2006 and has Seymour Ibanez pickups, which means they're Seymour Duncans made just for Ibanez, I think. Pictures don't really do it justice- it's sparkly gold. Has a strange neck on it, it's thin like all Ibanez necks, but it's also wide at nut. It's also neck-through, same with the big Destroyer on the right.

The 5 string is a BTB, it now has EMG's in it.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over

bitchtard posted:

I recommend doing what feels good, than doing what sounds good

I recommend doing what sounds good, than doing what feels good. Then after that, what looks good.

BUSH 2112 posted:

Yeah, I don't think I'd want to play in a normal rock band with my bass. I'm more into the Les Claypool style of bass playing. I do love J-basses, though. P-basses do nothing for me, for whatever reason. They sound kind of wimpy imo.

I went through a hard enough Claypool phase that I used two A strings and two G strings in standard tuning. And yet, we are forever enemies because my strongest musical opinion is that P basses own.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.
I like those P-basses that have a J-bass pickup as well the split single coil. So, maybe we can be like Russia and China or something. :ussr:

Also, that Iceman bass owns bones.

mclast
Nov 12, 2008

catchphrase over
i'll narrow my eyes and reluctantly accept

i'm watchin u tho

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i think basses with goofy lumpy bodies and no pickguards and natural finishes all look dumb as poo poo, no exceptions. i guess that's a minority bass player opinion?

to be fair, this is what i play, i feel like its dumb and goofy in a cool way, not a victor wooten way.

e: not my pic, i haven't taken my bass out on a picnic at the park

also i think krist novoselic is the only person who could pull off a gibson grabber/ripper, you have to be the size of frankenstein's monster to make that body look normal.

shiksa fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jun 6, 2014

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

shiksa posted:

i think basses with goofy lumpy bodies and no pickguards and natural finishes all look dumb as poo poo, no exceptions. i guess that's a minority bass player opinion?

to be fair, this is what i play, i feel like its dumb and goofy in a cool way, not a victor wooten way.

also i think krist novoselic is the only person who could pull off a gibson grabber/ripper, you have to be the size of frankenstein's monster to make that body look normal.

I like your bass, although I would change the pickguard because I REALLY hate tortoise pick guards (pearloid too).

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
i probably would change it, but "jaguar bass pickguard WITHOUT control plate WITH single coil pickup" is really hard to find, and i don't really feel like paying for a custom pickguard.

e: wait it isn't if i actually search for this model. why didnt i try that before hah.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

shiksa posted:

rick danko managed to use one of them without it looking too silly, but this is a dude who would actually regularly play an ampeg baby bass - that strange fretless solid-body creation with f-holes and a scroll head. it was a different time.

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

ZombieParts posted:

That's not evolution that's just getting old. Good job grandpa

I sealed my own fate when I bought a Telecaster. With a maple neck.

Anyway, here's some godawful shirts for guitar autists to wear proudly around town in lieu of having a personality:

And this didn't even take any digging, these were all in the first 20 google results. Forty-year-olds of the world, open your wallets!

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I'd wear that button up.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Carnaticum posted:

Judge me please.

The guitar on the left is an SZ350 or something. It's from 2006 and has Seymour Ibanez pickups, which means they're Seymour Duncans made just for Ibanez, I think. Pictures don't really do it justice- it's sparkly gold. Has a strange neck on it, it's thin like all Ibanez necks, but it's also wide at nut. It's also neck-through, same with the big Destroyer on the right.

The 5 string is a BTB, it now has EMG's in it.

bad bad bad good

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Declan MacManus posted:

bad bad bad good

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

Carnaticum posted:

Judge me please.

Purchased when you were: 33, 20, 18, 17. Why the long gap?

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
i can't stand ibanez headstocks for some reason

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iamthegibbons
Apr 9, 2009
I humbly submit my Ibanez bass for judging. Going for the 70s coffee table look, have I gone too far?

Iamthegibbons fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 6, 2014

• Locked thread